Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Attorney at Funk posted:

Apart from that one thing I've been really impressed and enthused by the creative and technical work that's gone into this at every step of the process.

I am enthused by lots of things; There seems to be a renewed effort to make every splat unique, playable, and interesting, and to make it possible for an ordinary human to create enough NPCs to populate their game and resolve combat in a timely fashion. I have expressed concern regarding certain issues, and cannot be certain they will be handled in a way that satisfies me, but I still have hope that when the Core Book drops I will feel like Charles "Barkley" Spaulding just hit me in the face with more Facets of Enlightenment than there are dimples on a basketball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

404GoonNotFound posted:

Where're Fatal* Pulse and Golden Janissary :argh:
*Fatal? First? Whatever.

First.

Because when you use it, the other guy won't get a second.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

404GoonNotFound posted:

*Fatal? First? Whatever.

First Pulse Style is, from what I can gather, a Terrestrial Style and they're specifically only looking for styles that were Celestial in prior editions despite the devs saying that there really isn't a Terrestrial/Celestial distinction anymore, that each style exists on a cross-Exalt sliding scale of performance.

Personally I'd like to see Mantis to get a little more traditional animal style all up ins but no, it looks like people really want to turn into goddamn seahorse monsters so.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Mantis Style. Disarm, cripple, then hammer the crap out of them every time they try to feebly poke at you.

What's not to like?

Edit: Okay, if the revised DPC lets you literally be Lisa Lisa then I can live with that instead.

Thesaurasaurus fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 2, 2013

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Kai Tave posted:

Personally I'd like to see Mantis to get a little more traditional animal style all up ins but no, it looks like people really want to turn into goddamn seahorse monsters so.

I think a lot of them are more in it for beating people to death with scarves and hairstyles while looking ~fabulous~.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Does any one have a list of the MA that have been picked beyond the one that is up for vote?

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Righteous Devil, Tiger, Snake, Ebon Shadow, Black Claw, Crane, and Silver-Voiced Nightingale.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Does any one have a list of the MA that have been picked beyond the one that is up for vote?

RPdom thread posted:

Everyone can make multiple choices but please refrain from making more than 3 choices. Depending on what other people decided to add (currently only Brian seems to waiting for)I will make either first or second most voted Martial Art Style as my second choice. Currently following ones are already chosen or was already in book;

Righteous devil, tiger, snake, ebon shadow, dark claw, crane, nightingale;

No word on which one of those was picked by the other winner though.

e: Son of a bitch.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

404GoonNotFound posted:

*Fatal? First? Whatever.

The poll said celestial styles only, though I cannot for the life of me figure why they would want to do that terrible thing. Even Blade and First Pulse were two of the best MAs in 2e, in both concept and execution. Do we have any kind of list of styles we know will be in the core book?

Edit: that'll teach me not to read the posts above me

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

A_Raving_Loon posted:

I think a lot of them are more in it for beating people to death with scarves and hairstyles while looking ~fabulous~.

Yeah, but just imagine that looming over you though. You've spent years honing your Essence and your martial arts skill, mastering the pinnacle of grace and subtle power. You can walk into a room full of trained assassins armed with nothing but a scarf and walk away the victor.

Then it comes time for you to learn your style's final technique. This, your sifu tells you, is what you've been training towards...the supreme embodiment of the Dreaming Pearl Courtesan style. He asks you if you're read to begin.

And then he turns into a freaky-rear end seahorse monster. Holy poo poo. You were expecting some sort of incredible multi-parry that turns into grapples and lets you redirect a room full of attackers into hitting each other or something really sweet like that but nope, seahorse monster. Years of your life, building up to that.

The next day you go looking for a sword instructor.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair

Kai Tave posted:

I was sort of hoping that we'd get a thematic five for the corebook: Tiger, Bull, Spider, Wolf, and Falcon, to cover the sobriquets of the Solar castes, and also add more animal styles than just the obvious Chinese-flavored ones. Then add a few more, like Righteous Devil and such. Obviously that requires them to write-up four entirely new martial art styles instead of just translating from earlier editions, but I never said I was reasonable about my hopes.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Slightly Lions posted:

The poll said celestial styles only, though I cannot for the life of me figure why they would want to do that terrible thing. Even Blade and First Pulse were two of the best MAs in 2e, in both concept and execution. Do we have any kind of list of styles we know will be in the core book?

Edit: that'll teach me not to read the posts above me

I loved the hell out of First Pulse, but the one I'd really be hoping to see in 3E is White Veil Style. Too bad it doesn't exist.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, but just imagine that looming over you though. You've spent years honing your Essence and your martial arts skill, mastering the pinnacle of grace and subtle power. You can walk into a room full of trained assassins armed with nothing but a scarf and walk away the victor.

Then it comes time for you to learn your style's final technique. This, your sifu tells you, is what you've been training towards...the supreme embodiment of the Dreaming Pearl Courtesan style. He asks you if you're read to begin.

And then he turns into a freaky-rear end seahorse monster. Holy poo poo. You were expecting some sort of incredible multi-parry that turns into grapples and lets you redirect a room full of attackers into hitting each other or something really sweet like that but nope, seahorse monster. Years of your life, building up to that.

It's like Scientology, by the time you learn how ridiculous what you've been building up to is, you're so far gone that it seems reasonable.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

BryanChavez posted:

I was sort of hoping that we'd get a thematic five for the corebook: Tiger, Bull, Spider, Wolf, and Falcon, to cover the sobriquets of the Solar castes, and also add more animal styles than just the obvious Chinese-flavored ones. Then add a few more, like Righteous Devil and such. Obviously that requires them to write-up four entirely new martial art styles instead of just translating from earlier editions, but I never said I was reasonable about my hopes.

I really hope that Eye of Heaven makes it in, because I would love to seek out an ancient Dragon King to study under or start with one as a Sifu to learn Dinosaur Kung Fu. I am extremely excited about Crane style being in, as I love the whole Compassion-focus of it, especially the capstone, and wonder how 3e would handle its weird Perfect.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'll second Crane being a good choice for inclusion...it gives you a "soft" style that isn't all about murderizing people as hard as it can and it's a classic staple in a lot of kung fu media.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I'll second Crane being a good choice for inclusion...it gives you a "soft" style that isn't all about murderizing people as hard as it can and it's a classic staple in a lot of kung fu media.

Yeah, and this is how you practice it to show up some rear end in a top hat Realm guy. I want to be able to put the Reach tag on my sword.

MiltonSlavemasta fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 2, 2013

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Mantis Style. Disarm, cripple, then hammer the crap out of them every time they try to feebly poke at you.

What's not to like?

Edit: Okay, if the revised DPC lets you literally be Lisa Lisa then I can live with that instead.
Please: Lisa Lisa would combine DPC with what are apparently now Solar Brawl Charms. That's the one thing I regret about losing Solar Hero: I just described it as the ripple :(

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Nessus posted:

Please: Lisa Lisa would combine DPC with what are apparently now Solar Brawl Charms. That's the one thing I regret about losing Solar Hero: I just described it as the ripple :(

Losing Solar Hero? It's not being lost, it's just becoming "The Solar Brawl Tree."

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
I hope the Arguments of Virtue, or similar families of related styles return. There was a lot of nice flavour bundled up in those.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Okay, this, except the years of my life have been building up to incredible joy, and the next day I'm swimming through the air bringing happiness to children.

GreenMetalSun fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 2, 2013

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Losing Solar Hero? It's not being lost, it's just becoming "The Solar Brawl Tree."
Well yeah; but that means I can't teach it to random strangers so easy!

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

So have Holden and Hatewheel given up on us? I liked them coming here to talk before their colossal gently caress up...

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

PrinceRandom posted:

So have Holden and Hatewheel given up on us? I liked them coming here to talk before their colossal gently caress up...

Holden got banned. Morke stopped talking to us when the Abyssal Preview was released.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It was mentioned in the comments section of the KS that they weren't accepting requests for the Four Virtue styles in the corebook because they wanted to release those later as a complete set, so for now the answer to that question seems to be "yes they'll be redone, but you may have to wait."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I will feel like Charles "Barkley" Spaulding just hit me in the face with more Facets of Enlightenment than there are dimples on a basketball.

I hope we can do better than that! I mean, stepping stones and all, but god drat.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Plague of Hats posted:

I hope we can do better than that! I mean, stepping stones and all, but god drat.

I notice the White Wolf forums are as stable as ever.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Attorney at Funk posted:

I notice the White Wolf forums are as stable as ever.

Stretch goal +$200 over previous: Buy White Wolf a two-year account at DreamHost or something drat.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

A_Raving_Loon posted:

I hope the Arguments of Virtue, or similar families of related styles return. There was a lot of nice flavour bundled up in those.

The Four Arguments were among my favorite styles, but there's no way they'd be in the corebook. I would be surprised if a martial arts supplement wasn't one of the earliest in the pipeline, though. Hopefully they'll be in that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Plague of Hats posted:

Stretch goal +$200 over previous: Buy White Wolf a two-year account at DreamHost or something drat.
Why in God's name would you want to save that horrible pit of despair and horror?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nessus posted:

Why in God's name would you want to save that horrible pit of despair and horror?

I brag to my friends about watching SWAP.avi! :suicide:

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 2, 2013

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nessus posted:

I shudder to think of what would happen were all of them were suddenly displaced and scattered to the winds like a poisonous mist.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I realize suddenly, at the mention in that link of 'shield as weapon', that with the new simplified weapon categories+ keyword setup, and the whole momentum thing, a shield could just be a light or medium weapon with appropriate keywords, so you can play a sword and board dude who smashes someone in the face with his shield to open them up for a good stabbing. This makes me happy for no good reason.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

unseenlibrarian posted:

I realize suddenly, at the mention in that link of 'shield as weapon', that with the new simplified weapon categories+ keyword setup, and the whole momentum thing, a shield could just be a light or medium weapon with appropriate keywords, so you can play a sword and board dude who smashes someone in the face with his shield to open them up for a good stabbing. This makes me happy for no good reason :black101:.

FTFY. That sounds badass and I hope it's something along those lines!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

The Gate posted:

FTFY. That sounds badass and I hope it's something along those lines!

With the momentum system...that seems like it's something that is very likely mechanically too.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I definitely want to play a sword and shield guy, or a sword-and-free-hand guy, who either clobbers people with the shield or makes brawl attacks to set up killing blows with the sword. It was one of the first things I thought of when I read Holden's summary of the new combat paradigm (the first was two swordmasters standing in a garden, staring each other down from sunrise to sunset, neither making a move until one sword is drawn and swung and the other swordmaster crumples to the ground)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

My friend is starting up an An-Teng game with fresh Solars and downplaying artifacts so we avoid the situation of artifact bloat (At least early on). I'm playing a Night that wields an oar statted as a staff. Since he plans to take the game to Ex3 once it's out and assuming it lasts that long, I hope it does interesting things with staffs.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
So, I just noticed that while the stretch goal said two backers would get to add two Martial Arts to the book, there were actually three openings there for people to pledge at that reward tier. Are there going to be even more MA styles in Core?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

So, I just noticed that while the stretch goal said two backers would get to add two Martial Arts to the book, there were actually three openings there for people to pledge at that reward tier. Are there going to be even more MA styles in Core?

They are not sure why kickstarter allowed the third backer to do so but they have said that they will honor all 6 suggested styles. So yes, surprise 2 additional styles.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

Wasn't it fluffed as like the ultimate something something of beauty or something like that?

A giant seahorse monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Zereth posted:

Wasn't it fluffed as like the ultimate something something of beauty or something like that?

A giant seahorse monster.

Masters of this style achieve a perfect waking and lucid union of timeless dream and finite self. With this Charm, the
martial artist opens herself to Creation’s collective dreaming consciousness and assumes the form of the fell and beautiful
Chimera. Swirling light shines down upon the Exalt. Her clothes and accouterments merge with her body as her form
extends to five times her normal height. Her neck grows up to four feet in length and supports a delicate and goldenbeaked
foal’s head. Four sets of spiraling gazelle’s horns adorn her head, reshaping themselves like tendrils of smoke. Many eyes line either side of her narrow snout and continue down her back—ranging from the size of small pearls to the size
of goose eggs. They alternately blaze like sapphires in the noonday sun and blink demurely. Gold-veined pearl scales cover the Exalt’s entire form, providing an additional 6L/12B armor. Instead of arms or legs, the martial artist floats just above the ground on a pair of four-foot-wide carp fins for every dot of Essence she has. These fins enable her to hover in or swim through the air with serpentine grace at 45 miles per hour.

• Locked thread