Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Minarchist posted:

As for the empty house, chuck em in the bathroom for the first night or so to prevent any :catstare::hf::catstare::hf::catstare: urinary collaborations on your brand new house.

And as for a desert state? Lots of water. Feel free to toss a few ice cubes in their water bowl on particularly brutal days. Keep it clean, keep it cool, but not ice cold. Also lots of well ventilated shade and cool flooring like tile, wood or concrete. Cats can and will get comfy on bare flooring if it's hot out.

Yeah, I'd like to keep them locked up in the bathroom for a few days, but I bet my husband will let them out to 'explore' too early, so we will see how that goes. And the new house is almost exclusively saltillo tile, so that's nice.

Anyone want to weigh in on doing an over night stop vs 13+ hours in a car straight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Meow Cadet posted:

Anyone want to weigh in on doing an over night stop vs 13+ hours in a car straight?
A long time ago I moved from Seattle to San Diego, we did it in two days. 12 hours each day. The cats were in a large kennel in the van with me that had a sleeping spot and a small/travel sized litter box. When we got to the motel we just pulled the entire kennel out and took it with us. The cats were understandably freaked out but settled down to sleep and then went back into the kennel without much trouble.

Neither cat enjoyed traveling before the move and I can't say that they enjoyed it much after. They adjusted and dealt with it though.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

potee posted:

Some cats just go apeshit for ice cubes, my parents had a cat that liked to chew on the ice once it melted a little. I tried to give my cat ice water once during a heat wave and she poked at the ice cube a couple times, :catstare:'d, and ran across the room.

Cats are weird.

Fattles (Sybil) has a strange obsession with bleach. She MUST try and drink/inspect any water/recently cleaned surface that had bleach or bleach based cleaners. Obviously I don't let her, but sometimes I wonder about her. Is she actually dumb enough to ingest bleach? does she just want to roll in it? :wtf::catstare:.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Meow Cadet posted:

Yeah, I'd like to keep them locked up in the bathroom for a few days, but I bet my husband will let them out to 'explore' too early, so we will see how that goes. And the new house is almost exclusively saltillo tile, so that's nice.

Go the full 13 at once. Take away food and water the evening before so they clear out their systems (only if your cat is healthy and doesn't have some kind of condition). See if the vet will prescribe you sedatives so they don't go nuts in the car. Put them in the carrier and partially cover it so it's nice and dark, but not hot. When you get to where you're going, isolate them somewhere quiet with their food, litter, and the carrier so they can have a safe space to come down off their drugs and acclimatize to the new place.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
poo poo, today I found a large red tick on my cat. Turned out the anti-tick collar I bought didn't prevent the motherfuckers from crawling all over my cat.

Now I went and tried to carefully disengage the bloodsucker from my cat, but the cheap pair of tweezers I used weren't up to the task. I ripped the tick in half and my second attempt just ripped out half of the tick's head, the rest stayed were it was: On the back of my cat's head. I applied disinfectant on the mess I left, but I'm still in a bit of a shock about how much went wrong.

The internet wasn't very helpful so far, some doctors say the head will fall off by itself, other sources on cat forums told horror stories about infections. The best part: My vet isn't available until Monday afternoon and our local emergency clinic can be a bit expensive if you are inconsiderate enough to bring your own pet instead of a wild animal.

So, has anyone here experience with ticks on cats? It's kind of a first for me and I don't want my cat to suffer because of my ignorance.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

toplitzin posted:

Fattles (Sybil) has a strange obsession with bleach. She MUST try and drink/inspect any water/recently cleaned surface that had bleach or bleach based cleaners. Obviously I don't let her, but sometimes I wonder about her. Is she actually dumb enough to ingest bleach? does she just want to roll in it? :wtf::catstare:.

To me bleach smells kind of sweet, it might be the same for her.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Libluini posted:

poo poo, today I found a large red tick on my cat. Turned out the anti-tick collar I bought didn't prevent the motherfuckers from crawling all over my cat.

Now I went and tried to carefully disengage the bloodsucker from my cat, but the cheap pair of tweezers I used weren't up to the task. I ripped the tick in half and my second attempt just ripped out half of the tick's head, the rest stayed were it was: On the back of my cat's head. I applied disinfectant on the mess I left, but I'm still in a bit of a shock about how much went wrong.

The internet wasn't very helpful so far, some doctors say the head will fall off by itself, other sources on cat forums told horror stories about infections. The best part: My vet isn't available until Monday afternoon and our local emergency clinic can be a bit expensive if you are inconsiderate enough to bring your own pet instead of a wild animal.

So, has anyone here experience with ticks on cats? It's kind of a first for me and I don't want my cat to suffer because of my ignorance.

They usually get infected. Sorta depends on how much you think is left in there and if there is something for the vet to grab on to. It is easier to get it out before it's swollen and gross than after and if it really is stuck in there, it will get infected.

In the future you should keep your cat on something like Frontline, which covers both fleas and ticks and is safer and more effective than a flea and tick collar. To remove a tick, get a good pair of tweezers and grasp as close to the skin as possible. The main things to avoid are ripping it (due to it turning into a dead piece of foreign material that will cause an infection) and just pissing the tick off (they will hurl some of their blood meal back into the animal, along with any tickborne diseases they may carry).

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
On my way to get Charlie! Wish me luck goons,

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hello cat megathread!! Long time no see!! :3: I am still proudly wearing my big red custom title about how Jackie was my valentine this year (and someone apparently found this worth paying money to mock so I figure let them get their money's worth, right?) but that aside, to the people who might, erm, have liked my strange and rambly posts I just really did want to say hi. Let you guts know that both me and Jackie are in good health these days, Jackie especially has continued to have no issues and despite a brief period where she was a bit cold with me, she's back to her usual self.

Anyway, um, here are a couple pictures of Jackie enjoying the sun on our disgusting carpet (my landlord is *finally* getting it replaced this month). But Jackie is just too cute:

I managed to get this one while she was still asleep and looking absurd. She looks way fatter than normal in this pic, I mean, she's still pretty drat fat, but the sad thing is that this is still her after losing 5 pounds. Imagine how fat she used to be :gonk:

Uh oh, now The Jack has woken up and is none too placed that I am paying attention to the camera rather than giving her tummy rubs and love!

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
So I got Charlie, she's home! She immediately recognized me and is all loving up on me.

She didn't eat and now it's 0120 am and she keeps jumping up for scratches and love every 10 minutes or so, then off through the house meowing. I think she's looking for Leslie (my ex who was taking care of her during quarantine) :(

I hope she eats soon

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Cat just ate an 8cm section of rubber band. He's already eaten a 1cm section and pooped it out with apparently no trouble, and having just eaten the 8cm section his only demeanor is "smug", so I'm not anticipating any problem. But should I be concerned or is this just "cat eats a thing, film at 11" situation?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

KKKlean Energy posted:

Cat just ate an 8cm section of rubber band. He's already eaten a 1cm section and pooped it out with apparently no trouble, and having just eaten the 8cm section his only demeanor is "smug", so I'm not anticipating any problem. But should I be concerned or is this just "cat eats a thing, film at 11" situation?

I'd keep an eye on him and check his litterbox to be sure he passes it. If he shows any unusual symptoms like lethargy, vomiting, or refusal to eat, that would be time to take him to the vet immediately.

Anecdotally, my cat occasionally gets at small bits of ribbon and constantly eats my long hairs, and always passes them without issue except for having poo dangling out his rear end on a string, so just be vigilant but don't necessarily worry that it will need to be extracted.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
Besides Charlie not eating yet (I tried wet and dry food) my fears about the screen door seem fine for now

It's also giving me a bit of a break, she's very needy right now (it's past two AM) and keeps coming for love every 5 min. Since I opened the door and left the screen shut she's been stuck staring out it. I'm of course not going to leave her alone with it, but it's nice to have a break for now.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I am on a rv trip for the next 10 days so my mom is watching the 3 cats. I get a call because she was greeted by a cat murder parade this afternoon. We are talking about 3 cats in formation with Indy the alpha cat in front proudly dragging a large dead robin as a murder present. My mom was fine her boyfriend freaked the poo poo out though. :3:

I wish I had pictures :negative:

cutie
Oct 22, 2010
My cat caught and killed her first mouse about a week ago and almost every day now she catches more and takes them home, still alive. I don't know what my cat was doing to the poor mouse she caught yesterday, I wasn't there, but my step-mother took the mouse from her and freed it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Serella posted:

I'd keep an eye on him and check his litterbox to be sure he passes it. If he shows any unusual symptoms like lethargy, vomiting, or refusal to eat, that would be time to take him to the vet immediately.

Anecdotally, my cat occasionally gets at small bits of ribbon and constantly eats my long hairs, and always passes them without issue except for having poo dangling out his rear end on a string, so just be vigilant but don't necessarily worry that it will need to be extracted.

To add on to this if the cat passes it but the band is still dangling from the bum DO NOT pull it. Take it to the vet immediately as you can do a fuckton of damage otherwise.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

So, potentially ridiculously stupid question about a potentially idiotic idea I had:

When we take the cone of shame off, Fat Buddy tends to lick and nip at his tail where the stitches are. If he sits and contorts a certain way, he can do it *with* the cone on. Any particular downside in, say, spraying the end of his tail with bitter apple spray?

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
So Charlie is doing well, she is very clingy though, but I imagine it's stress from the flight. I'm just worried about the fact she is not eating. I've had her for 24 hours now, and when we first got home I gave her wet food, and she ignored it. In the middle of the night (she kept me up, needing constant attention) I tried giving her dry food. Also ignored that. In desperation today, I went to buy some random Japanese cat food (wet). She ate a tiny itty bit of that, then left it. Now her dish has dry food in it, hoping she'll give it a nibble at some point.

I also tried tuna, rubbing it on her nose but she ignored that too. Also a dish with milk was ignored.

She's fine in every other way, she's had a bowel movement and urinated, but I know cat's start having problems if they don't eat. My appointent on base to have her seen is June 17th, but I could take her to a off base vet, I just don't know if I'm overreacting and how long I should wait before I freak out?

edit: I've also had her out on the balcony (supervised) and a bedroom window open, she's not interested in leaping off thankfully

edit edit: Made picture smaller, also another update on her behavior. She's been making sounds that I used to associate with "feed me behaviour", but doesn't want the food. She absolutely loves cheese, and once in a blue moon I used to give her a little bit for a treat, and I remembered I had cheese in the fridge so I broke off a tiny part. When I opened the fridge she immediately reacted as she used to when I was giving her a treat, she got up on her hind legs when I started to offer her the cheese, sniffed at it, and ignored it.

feverish and oversexed fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 2, 2013

Pretty Pretty Pony
Jul 13, 2003

leftover posted:

She's been making sounds that I used to associate with "feed me behaviour", but doesn't want the food. She absolutely loves cheese, and once in a blue moon I used to give her a little bit for a treat, and I remembered I had cheese in the fridge so I broke off a tiny part. When I opened the fridge she immediately reacted as she used to when I was giving her a treat, she got up on her hind legs when I started to offer her the cheese, sniffed at it, and ignored it.

She's still freaked out from the flight and may take a few more days to recover, probably. Is she at least drinking water? If you haven't seen any improvement in the next day, you can take her to the vet for fluids.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Oh cat people, help me not freak out over my cats.

I have a second story balcony, and my cats love to go chill outside on it, however, every now and then one jumps up onto the railing. Am I over-reacting, or will one of them get the dumbs and jump off?

Is there a way I can encourage them not to jump on there? (without making my porch rimmed in aluminum foil?)
Should i just buy them each a tagged collar and hope they don't go full stupid?

You can kind of see it here:

Better photo:

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

toplitzin posted:

Oh cat people, help me not freak out over my cats.

I have a second story balcony, and my cats love to go chill outside on it, however, every now and then one jumps up onto the railing. Am I over-reacting, or will one of them get the dumbs and jump off?

Is there a way I can encourage them not to jump on there? (without making my porch rimmed in aluminum foil?)
Should i just buy them each a tagged collar and hope they don't go full stupid?

You can kind of see it here:

Better photo:

Yeah, I'd be paranoid about the railings as well. I know that when people build fences that cats can't get out of, they put something at the top that curves inward, so the cat can never reach the top.

I just Google'd for "cat proof fences" and found this site: http://www.purrfectfence.com/outdoor_cat_enclosures.asp which looks both informative and kind of hilarious. Maybe you could built a little cat-barrier fitted to your porch? It doesn't look like it would stand out too much or be super expensive.

Pretty Pretty Pony
Jul 13, 2003

Pretty Pretty Pony posted:

She's still freaked out from the flight and may take a few more days to recover, probably. Is she at least drinking water? If you haven't seen any improvement in the next day, you can take her to the vet for fluids.

I want to add - depending on how docile your cat is, if you have a syringe or dropper you can fill it with a bit of wet food with a lot of water mixed in and give it to her like you would liquid medicine. I've had to do that with a cat that wasn't eating when he had a bad respiratory infection and couldn't smell his food.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

flyboi posted:

To add on to this if the cat passes it but the band is still dangling from the bum DO NOT pull it. Take it to the vet immediately as you can do a fuckton of damage otherwise.

Thanks for this, and Serella. It hasn't appeared yet but the cat's behavior hasn't changed so so far so good.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I could use some advice on getting my obese cat on a diet. I adopted her from a rescue about a year ago, and she was pretty fat already. I tried feeding her a low calorie cat food for a while, but she only ever wanted to eat my other cat's food. He's on a urinary health formula, so I can't really afford to let her eat it. I guess the problem is that there isn't really a way for me to isolate them for feeding in my small apartment. It's also important to note that I have a limited budget since I have very strained finances.

So, my questions are:
1. What's the best cheap food for weight loss, and what portions?
2. Are there any tricks to feeding two cats different foods?

I tried weighing her on a human scale, and it read about 17lbs. I realize this makes me a bad person, and I'm sorry.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Enelrahc posted:

They usually get infected. Sorta depends on how much you think is left in there and if there is something for the vet to grab on to. It is easier to get it out before it's swollen and gross than after and if it really is stuck in there, it will get infected.

In the future you should keep your cat on something like Frontline, which covers both fleas and ticks and is safer and more effective than a flea and tick collar. To remove a tick, get a good pair of tweezers and grasp as close to the skin as possible. The main things to avoid are ripping it (due to it turning into a dead piece of foreign material that will cause an infection) and just pissing the tick off (they will hurl some of their blood meal back into the animal, along with any tickborne diseases they may carry).

So I guess it's vet time on Monday, thanks to me messing up. At least I can get her Frontline while I'm there. (And maybe a good pair of anti-tick tweezers, just in case.)

Luckily my cat is pretty tame, she already forgave me for clumsily ripping insect parts out of her head.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

MY ABACUS! posted:

I could use some advice on getting my obese cat on a diet. I adopted her from a rescue about a year ago, and she was pretty fat already. I tried feeding her a low calorie cat food for a while, but she only ever wanted to eat my other cat's food. He's on a urinary health formula, so I can't really afford to let her eat it. I guess the problem is that there isn't really a way for me to isolate them for feeding in my small apartment. It's also important to note that I have a limited budget since I have very strained finances.

So, my questions are:
1. What's the best cheap food for weight loss, and what portions?
2. Are there any tricks to feeding two cats different foods?

I tried weighing her on a human scale, and it read about 17lbs. I realize this makes me a bad person, and I'm sorry.

The best way I can recommend this is to separate them. I know it seems hard in a small place, but it's doable as long as you enforce mealtimes on both of them. One cat eats in the bathroom and the other cat eats in the kitchen (or wherever). They each get 20 minutes or so to finish their food in peace, then anything that's left over gets taken away and there's no more food until the next mealtime. If you keep the times consistent, the regular-sized cat will get used to eating on a schedule. The first few days are pretty crucial in terms of taking any uneaten food away promptly, so that if regular-sized doesn't eat everything, he's pretty hungry at the next mealtime and eats everything he's supposed to. I don't imagine you will have problems getting Piggy Kitty to eat his food in a timely manner, but the same thing applies to him nonetheless.

I'd also recommend putting regular-sized cat in the bathroom, at least at first, so there's very little to distract him from the food since he's not a fatty-fat who's going to vacuum it all down immediately like Piggy Kitty probably will. When he starts to get with the program, you can switch out who eats where, if you'd like.

As someone with a cat who had (and still has) issues with overeating when the food was available, I can't stress enough that getting your cats on a feeding schedule will seriously, seriously help. My hog of a cat used to meow at me for hours before mealtime until I put him on a strict twice-a-day schedule, reinforced by a timed feeder. No more problems with him binging on food like he's never seen it before (and subsequently horking it back up on the floor), and no more MEOW MEOW I'M SO loving HUNGRY I'VE NEVER EATEN IN ALL MY LIFE. :catstare:

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!
A co-worker got adopted by a pregnant stray. There are 3 kittens and she cannot keep them. I'm working on becoming a crazy cat lady, so I'm adopting one. I need help on a name. My other two cats are Jinx (5 year old black male) and Elmer (4 year old orange tiger). I love the old fashioned human names for cats. Oh and this kitten is a female. Sorry for the crappy pictures, they came off of her phone. The pictures are also 3 weeks old. It'll still be a week or two before I'll be bringing her home.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Axie :3:

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Clementine!

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

She looks like an Ethel

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
Dorcas. That way, when she acts like a doofus, you can call her "Dork-rear end".

Undead Waterfowl says Abigail or Abernathy. Recommended nickname: Abbydorable.

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

lamb posted:

She looks like an Ethel

I actually suggested that name to my son. He vetoed it though.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

Hmm. What about Edith or Gertrude?

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

He has strongly suggested that she looks like a Beatrice.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Grace :3:

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Mildred Cat. Agnes Cat.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I second Mildred.

Update on Charlie, the dry food I left out for her has been nommed on, so I suppose she had a nibble while I was at work today, hurrah! I'll try wet food schedule when she's had more time to settle in.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
Dear Cat,

When you eat your own wet food very quickly then bully your brother away from his food, you have gained the Fatty Fat Fat Advantage.

When you eat all that so fast you immediately puke it up? NO ONE WINS.

Love,
Me

P.S. Your sweet brother even tried to bury it for you. Feel shame in that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My huge tabby, Charles, loves water. He yells at me to turn on the bath, sink, hose spigot, whatever. When I fill his water bowl, he yells at me to pour some on his head. I am pretty well trained.

He's also defeated the squirt bottle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNMp8oW0OWY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Spike it with vinegar.