Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

"If a candidate is a phony... we'll know it. Mitt Romney is such a candidate."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Highspeeddub posted:

Bosporus Bridge today.

I think Brown Moses said in the GBS thread this is from a marathon last year and just being touted as from today.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Highspeeddub posted:

Bosporus Bridge today.

It's not today(although the protests are large), this is from a marathon. I posted the same thing in the Turkey thread and Brown Moses set me straight.

Linking for blood in this, so probably not safe for the squeamish or for work, but here's a picture of the man shot in Ankara(they opened up with live ammunition at one point supposedly)
http://25.media.tumblr.com/820638168598eb41053cc8fad35a95ef/tumblr_mnqb2iPPTV1ste7qoo1_1280.jpg

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

I never noticed the spelling error until now. I guess rolling your eyes really hard will do that.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

cheerfullydrab posted:

A really awesome little 4 minute bit of Eric Sevareid commentary about how Americans are a bunch of paranoid conspiracy theorists, something which is just as true 40 odd years after he recorded it. His overall point is that Kennedy conspiracy theory people are dumb, but it's more than just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02RQB3F_i6o

He's right in general, however the Lincoln Assassination was definitely a conspiracy, Seward and Johnson were both slated to die that night as well:

Erkenntnis posted:

Sorry, wasn't trying to be offensive.

After reading about how many dogs are shot by police each year this image makes me happy. I can't tell if that dog is neutered but apparently most dog attacks are from male dogs with their balls.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Beaver Patrol posted:

What are these many areas?

Can I have some context for this? I ask because that is a boxer, and boxers are the best dogs :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxiESl-VY5E

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.

Istanbul.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
I just saw a guy who got a teargas can to the face after watching a video where a watercannon truck ran over some people, and now I want some happy protest pictures where everything turned out okay because that poo poo is just too drat depressing.

Supposedly a Brazilian general who during a protest asked for no fighting that day because it was his birthday. The protesters gave him a cake and hugs were had by all.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

platedlizard posted:

I just saw a guy who got a teargas can to the face after watching a video where a watercannon truck ran over some people, and now I want some happy protest pictures where everything turned out okay because that poo poo is just too drat depressing.

Supposedly a Brazilian general who during a protest asked for no fighting that day because it was his birthday. The protesters gave him a cake and hugs were had by all.

The next day things returned to normal.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Reminds me of the Christmas Truce of 1914, when German and British troops celebrated Christmas together.

Soldiers of both nations meeting in the no man's land between the trenches on December 26, 1914. There are numerous other truces known like this: During the French and Indian War, opposing troops sat around the campfire and played cards. Crimean War soldiers shared provisions and tobacco, during the American Civil War soldiers were known to fish at the same river. During the Second Boer War, there even was a football match between British and Afrikaner troops, and in the North African theatre of WWII, German and British soldiers gathered to listen to Lili Marleen together.

Man truly is a strange beast.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

Fox News' Erick Erickson has a message for us.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
EDIT: I AM A MORON minimumwage.com is run by the Employment Policies Institute, which is one of Berman & Company's "think tanks". I'm not sure how I used the wrong word when it was right there on the page.

Below, another American-made gas canister found at a protest in Turkey.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 2, 2013

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

minimumwage.com is run by the Economic Policies Institute, which is one of Berman & Company's "think tanks".

You mean the Employment Policies Institute, not to be confused with the Economic Policy Institute, which is a left-of-American-center think tank.

http://youtu.be/qYOr8TlnqsY

quote:

The Disintegration Loops is based on Basinski's attempts to salvage earlier recordings made on magnetic tape, by transferring them into digital format; however, the tape had physically deteriorated to the point that, as it passed by the Tape Head, the ferrite detached from the plastic backing and fell off. Basinski has said that he finished the project the morning of the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City, and sat on the roof of his apartment building in Brooklyn with friends listening to the project as the WTC towers collapsed.[2] In 2011, Basinski corrected earlier reports where he described recording the last hour of daylight of 9/11 in NYC with a video camera focused on the smoke where the towers were from a neighbor's roof, then set the first loop as the soundtrack to that footage. Stills from the video were used as the covers for the set of four CDs.
Basically he recorded a bunch of old loops slowly slowly dying and ended up setting one of them to footage of the sun setting in NYC on 9/11, the day he finished the project. Really eerie but great.

There's also a good Radiolab episode featuring Basinski. Fast forward to 21 minutes to hear it, but the whole episode is pretty good.

Gio fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 2, 2013

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

minimumwage.com is run by the Economic Policies Institute, which is one of Berman & Company's "think tanks".

You mean Employment Policies Institute. I've cited the Economic Policies Institute and they seem to be pretty good sources.

Minimum wage earnings compared to poverty levels for families of two or three people, in 2012 dollars.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

socilest butthomo posted:

Fox News' Erick Erickson has a message for us.

"I am completely hosed by the system to the point of insanity but I refuse to blame the System."

What a wanker.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

ahahaha, holy poo poo, where is that? When people oppose the minimum wage or increasing it, it reminds me of this someone posted in the crazy email thread.

quote:

Econ101 is a huge contributor to the ranks of shithead libertarians, because they take an incredibly basic view of a simple optimal system, do no further study, and then apply it to the real world. It’s like if someone just took physics 101 and thought purely in terms of frictionless surfaces and perfectly elastic, spherical cows, but expected to be taken seriously as an engineer.

In the mayhem currently in Turkish cities, a marriage proposal takes place. I think she said yes :3:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 6, 2014

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
I think the idea was to showcase the beliefs of various peoples during antiquity, not the modern age.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Evidence from 1989 that Jeb might not have been the winner in the family.

On the other hand, the Cubs have actually won a championship in their history.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 2, 2013

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Men can't provide a child what a mother, white or black, can? :confused:

Istanbul, Turkey

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Ronald Nixon
Mar 18, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

I hate myself for contributing to spreadchat, but I do think there is some validity in discussing even minor things like this as it pertains to the discussion of the patriarchy as a whole. It's obvious that social conditioning is in play here.

Isn't this just a case of being inconsiderate of others? It's more comfortable to have your legs spread open a bit, and guys that do it value their own comfort more than the personal space of others, male or female. Does it not fall into the same category of issues as people with loud ipods, people talking loudly on the phone, people sneezing/coughing without covering their mouth, etc? Just inconsiderate assholes being inconsiderate assholes on public transport.

Personally I prefer when seating goes male-female-male-female because of this:

and because of shoulder width (which I can't find a picture of). All men sitting together are cramped at the shoulder, all women together are often cramped at the hip - but when we all sit together there's room for everyone.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
When I do the dishes I like to stack the cups in an alternating up-down pattern since they taper down to the base but it's not very interesting and neither is this stuff about how people sit on public transportation.

Or maybe we could move on to talking about the women only cars on Japanese subways.

Feminazis? :allears:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Istanbul, Turkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbYQ_dzFniY

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

syscall girl posted:

Or maybe we could move on to talking about the women only cars on Japanese subways.

Feminazis? :allears:

German Feminazis!!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

quote:

Leaked documents written by a political strategist who has trained National MPs set out a vision for taking the party to the right of the political spectrum, tripling donations to $6 million a year and using donations and government jobs as inducements to control MPs.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fried Chicken posted:

Can I have some context for this? I ask because that is a boxer, and boxers are the best dogs :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxiESl-VY5E

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Joementum posted:

On the other hand, the Cubs have actually won a championship in their history.
While true, the last time they did, these guys were in power:

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
One of the English Defence League protests yesterday ended successfully (for them), as they laid a wreath for Lee Rigby and gave a Nazi salute to a World War II memorial.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
"English Defence" apparently has a much different meaning than it did during World War II.

Below: International Children's Day being celebrated in Pyongyang. Of course the Westerner target has a big nose.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nice to see that most Slavic peoples apparently have to borrow myths from random neighbours.

Slavs in Their Original Homeland, Alfons Mucha.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

ShortStack posted:

I think the idea was to showcase the beliefs of various peoples during antiquity, not the modern age.

If you look closely at Britain, you'll realise that it's a map of the various sources for mythology. So Britain has Arthurian legends and Gaellic legends and Irish and Welsh and Scottish legends, while Yoruba mythology started in West Africa but travelled with the slave trade... It's actually pretty interesting, because it shows a very basic migration map type thing, because families carried their mythology with them. Fun times!

Allan Assiduity posted:

One of the English Defence League protests yesterday ended successfully (for them), as they laid a wreath for Lee Rigby and gave a Nazi salute to a World War II memorial.

I was watching those protests with interest. I particularly enjoyed the BNP's protest; after engaging in a pissing war with the EDL over who could bring the most marchers, only 133 BNP supporters turned up, vastly outnumbered by anti-fascist counter-protesters, and some other protesters dressed as badgers. All in all, not a good day for Griffin.

Meanwhile combined Antifa, Hope Not Hate, UNITE and other assorted anti-fascist protestors vastly outnumbered EDL supporters in pretty much all locations. Protests were generally peaceable, though arrests were made of some of the counter-protesters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF-goiGnTvY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwMpL-EOies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJZnCLjvW8A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv6_GtcANgU

EDIT:
And, of course, UKIP made complete fools of themselves again.

NAME REDACTED fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 2, 2013

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PnaPJQwN3w

They made a new big budget production of Jesus Christ Superstar last year. In this version, the disciples are dreadlocked occupiers and the Jewish priests are evil corporate oligarchs.

Judas with some of the disciples, during What's the Buzz?

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 2, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Nice video of a car losing its hood on a highway near Minsk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOgkDCihBkk

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

"Caroline Narby posted:

Autistic self-advocates rip into Autism Speaks every day because of the organization's silencing and dehumanizing rhetoric, and its focus on "curing" autism rather than dedicating its resources to practical support for autistic people. The organization puts forth slick television ads that portray autism as tragic and menacing, and—importantly—as a malicious entity unto itself, as an external threat. Autism Speaks is responsible for the short film Autism Every Day, which features a mother talking about her desire to kill herself and her autistic daughter in front of her daughter. The interviews in Autism Every Day address—both directly and accidentally—very real and pressing institutional issues like the segregation of "special needs" children within schools, the lack of affordable and accessible support, a general lack of understanding and compassion within communities, and the pervasive construction of an "ideal" mother-child relationship as "joyful" and "easy." The video also neatly encapsulates everything that is damaging about Autism Speaks' rhetoric and agenda. Rather than addressing the aforementioned institutional problems, the organization centers the individual experiences of parents and care-givers, and silences autists by constructing us as pitiable and burdensome. It constructs autism as a tragic scourge that warrants panic and despair, and dedicates its efforts to eradicating autistic people via prevention or a "cure."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 18, 2014

• Locked thread