Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Haswell runs about 15C cooler than Ivy at equivalent clock speeds, which is about the margin of improvement people were getting by de-lidding Ivy:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7-4770K_Haswell/9.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Uhh... what 3570K's are running at 85C at 3.5ghz :psyduck:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
3570s using the stock cooler.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

craig588 posted:

3570s using the stock cooler.

Err...Under Prime95 my stock 3570 with a stock cooler ran at around 64 max.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Nostrum posted:

Haswell runs about 15C cooler than Ivy at equivalent clock speeds, which is about the margin of improvement people were getting by de-lidding Ivy:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7-4770K_Haswell/9.html

Every other review I have read has found that Haswell runs considerably hotter and is a bear to overclock. I just canceled my order for an CM 212; if I buy one of these, it seems something more substantial is called for. Keep in mind these reviews were of engineering samples are likely very "good" chips. Retail may be less capable.

e.g.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-4770k_12.html
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1159&Itemid=63&limit=1&limitstart=12
http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/intel_haswell_core_i5_4670k_core_i7_4770k_review,4.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4770k-haswell-review,3521-10.html

Toms Hardware posted:

We’re going to have to accept that Haswell-based parts get hotter, faster, it sounds like, and that they might fall a few hundred megahertz short of comparable Ivy Bridge-based parts with conventional cooling methods. It’s a good thing, then, that the architecture is inherently faster to help compensate.

X Bit Labs posted:

Thus, even a small increase in voltage leads to a dramatic increase in temperature of the computing cores, which means that the Haswell microarchitecture is energy efficient at low clock rates and low voltages only. Haswell-based desktop and overclocker-friendly CPUs are not energy-efficient at all. As a result, Haswell’s overall overclocking potential doesn’t inspire much optimism at all. In other words, another iteration in Intel’s microarchitecture is in fact a step back in terms of frequency potential, even though Intel did everything possible to compensate for it by adding extra overclocking-friendly features into their new processors.

Benchmark Reviews posted:

With the maximum multiplier raised to 47 and a core voltage of 1.4V, I could boot into Windows, but the system would crash quickly under most benchmarks. Dropping the multiplier to 46, yielding 4.6GHz, enabled me to run most of the benchmarks, but temperatures would spike (as they did under Ivy Bridge) despite the best efforts of the Thermaltake Silver Arrow cooler with its twin 140mm fans and massive heat sink. Benchmarks like x264HD 5.0 and SPECapc Lightwave would crash the system after a minute or so.

Vortez posted:

...using both Noctua NH-U14S and Corsair H100i...The 4670K managed to overclock up to 45 – 4.5GHz from 3.40GHz, a 32% overclock. This is a significant increase but it did require a fair amount of vcore - 1.45v to be exact. After several hours of trial and error no amount of voltage increase within the barrier of safe temperatures (not exceeding 95C) would allow the core frequency to move beyond 4.6GHz and remain stable...Our 4770K on the other hand, required much less voltage to achieve its milestone. The 4770K managed to overclock to 47 – 4.7GHz from 3.50GHz, a 34% overclock. Again this is an encouraging result. Furthermore we only needed 1.33v for this achievement. As with the 4670K, we tried to get closer to the 5GHz mark but again no amount of voltage increase within safe temperatures would allow more than 4.7GHz.

The final review (Vortez) is of a retail chip, though note they are using very high end cooling.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 2, 2013

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm counting the hours until someone pops off the IHS just to be sure.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Any word on Haswell Xeons yet?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

go3 posted:

There really isn't any reason for someone to upgrade unless they're on Westmere or old. I didn't think this was unexpected.

I'm using a Q9450 and I might just end up getting a 3570k/3770k. That or I could just keep waiting until a component guys I guess.

e: I have no idea what "until a component guys I guess" means nor what I meant to type.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 2, 2013

movax
Aug 30, 2008

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Not going to happen for a long while yet, don't hold your breath.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

My processor is so old it's not even on that list :(

I'm rocking a Core Duo T7500. A Haswell Thinkpad cannot come soon enough for me.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

you ate my cat posted:

I'm rocking a Core Duo T7500. A Haswell Thinkpad cannot come soon enough for me.

I don't understand where the onslaught of new ThinkPads is...

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

you ate my cat posted:

The bench only shows desktop cpus, so even if it were newer, it wouldn't show up. I hear you about waiting for a Haswell Thinkpad. In my laptop, I'm running a 2GHz Core 2 Duo, so I'm in a slightly worse position than you. I'm just wondering how the iGPU will compare to my 9600m GT, not that I game on it anymore.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
The GT3e GPU is about as powerful as a GeForce GT 650M. It'd be a hell of an upgrade.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Factory Factory posted:

The GT3e GPU is about as powerful as a GeForce GT 650M. It'd be a hell of an upgrade.

I'm aware at how good the GT3e is. I was thinking (though I didn't mention it) more along the lines of how the HD4600 would compare. I don't really expect to get the HD5200 on an i5.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I thiiiiiiiiink the GeForce GT 520M is comparable? In which case, here's how it stacks up to HD 4600: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7_4770K_Haswell_GPU/12.html

The 520M is probably beefier than the 9600 GT - higher clocks, more CUDA cores, Fermi rather than whatever-9600 GT-is.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

unpronounceable posted:

I'm aware at how good the GT3e is. I was thinking (though I didn't mention it) more along the lines of how the HD4600 would compare. I don't really expect to get the HD5200 on an i5.
Compared to the Geforce 9600M GT, the Intel HD4600 has about 25% higher pixel and texture fillrate, with about 4X the compute performance and the same memory bandwidth. I'd say the HD4600 is a straight upgrade.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

unpronounceable posted:

650M kills HD4600.

edit: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested

AnandTech posted:

For the past few years Intel has been threatening to make discrete GPUs obsolete with its march towards higher performing integrated GPUs. Given what we know about Iris Pro today, I'd say NVIDIA is fairly safe. The highest performing implementation of NVIDIA's GeForce GT 650M remains appreciably quicker than Iris Pro 5200 on average. Intel does catch up in some areas, but that's by no means the norm. NVIDIA's recently announced GT 750M should increase the margin a bit as well. Haswell doesn't pose any imminent threat to NVIDIA's position in traditional gaming notebooks. OpenCL performance is excellent, which is surprising given how little public attention Intel has given to the standard from a GPU perspective.

And this coming from a guy is doing his darnedest to like Haswell.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 2, 2013

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Yudo posted:

650M kills HD4600.

Yes, I can see that from the benchmarks. That's also not what I was asking though.

Alereon posted:

Compared to the Geforce 9600M GT, the Intel HD4600 has about 25% higher pixel and texture fillrate, with about 4X the compute performance and the same memory bandwidth. I'd say the HD4600 is a straight upgrade.

Factory Factory posted:

I thiiiiiiiiink the GeForce GT 520M is comparable? In which case, here's how it stacks up to HD 4600: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7_4770K_Haswell_GPU/12.html

The 520M is probably beefier than the 9600 GT - higher clocks, more CUDA cores, Fermi rather than whatever-9600 GT-is.
Thanks for the estimations. I'm gonna remain optimistic about it :)

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Right, sorry, totally misread what you were asking. Regardless, the power consumption numbers are pretty impressive.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

movax posted:

quote:

They might not be "real" Xeons, but the Haswell E3-1200 v3 series is also to be available on the 4th.

Aws
Dec 5, 2005
I feel kind of sad that it's finally time to retire my i7 920. It's such an awesome processor. I'm going to frame my DX58SO with the i7 920 and hang it on my wall.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

quote:

McGlockenshire posted:

They might not be "real" Xeons, but the Haswell E3-1200 v3 series is also to be available on the 4th.

What makes these fake?

If I'm reading that chart correctly, then the E3-1275 is the equivalent of the i7-4770K? I've been needing an upgrade for a while and I'd take TSX over overlocking.

Anyone know if any of the Z87 motherboards support ECC with an E3?

Chuu fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 2, 2013

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Chuu posted:

What makes these fake?

It's not so much "fake" as effectively being rebadged i7s as far as performance goes, from my understanding.

quote:

If so, it'd be a new thing. I haven't seen ECC support in any consumer-oriented Intel boards in ... ever?

Supermicro has a line of single-proc server (== ECC) boards ready to go for launch, the X10SLA, SLH, SLL and SLM. I think I'm under NDA still, so I can't endorse the accuracy of anything on that site outside of their SKU decoder ring.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 2, 2013

SpaceBum
May 1, 2006

Chuu posted:

What makes these fake?

If I'm reading that chart correctly, then the E3-1275 is the equivalent of the i7-4770K? I've been needing an upgrade for a while and I'd take TSX over overlocking.

The E3 family are desktop silicon with features enabled. They also have some limitations like 32 GB max, no RDIMM options, only two memory channels and are single processor only with a quad core. The E5s and E7s are beefed up, 192GB memory max 4 channels and up to 8 cpus per motherboard and can have up to eight or ten cores per cpu.
From what I see, yes the E3-1375v3 would be similar to a 4770k, but the xeon would have some more featured enabled like VT-d for a VM hosts, and ECC ram support; in case anyone was wondering. I'm not even sure most productivity programs make use of TSX, or will in the next few years.
Z** anything won't support ECC, IIRC none of the recent desktop northbridges have.

edit; E7s 88** series can support 8 cpus per Mobo.

SpaceBum fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 2, 2013

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SpaceBum posted:

From what I see, yes the E3-1375v3 would be similar to a 4770k, but the xeon would have some more featured enabled like VT-d for a VM hosts, and ECC ram support; in case anyone was wondering. I'm not even sure most productivity programs make use of TSX, or will in the next few years.

I'm a developer who mainly works with highly concurrent apps so I really want to play around with TSX. On the other hand, unless my work foots the bill for a dedicated system, I don't really want to give up SLI for gaming at home. If I could get ECC for just the premium of the memory I'd be on board, looks like none of those Supermicro boards would work.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 2, 2013

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
And here we go... just ordered my upgrades from Newegg. Bummer that the motherboard only allows up to 32 GB, but I guess that's consumer hardware for me.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Is there any reason to buy the K variant if I don't play on overclocking it? It seems like these don't overclock particularly well anyway. EDIT: that was a really stupid question. ignore me, I just woke up

Un-l337-Pork fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 2, 2013

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does 1150 cpus fit in a 1155 slot?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Does 1150 cpus fit in a 1155 slot?
No, new socket and new motherboards.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ijyt posted:

I'm using a Q9450 and I might just end up getting a 3570k/3770k. That or I could just keep waiting until a component guys I guess.

e: I have no idea what "until a component guys I guess" means nor what I meant to type.

This would be really dumb of me, the new Haswells are only £9-15 more than the current i5s and i7s on Scan.

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/cpus-intel/1455/1028/1456/1029

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

SpaceBum posted:

The E3 family are desktop silicon with features enabled. They also have some limitations like 32 GB max, no RDIMM options, only two memory channels and are single processor only with a quad core. The E5s and E7s are beefed up, 192GB memory max 4 channels and up to 8 cpus per motherboard and can have up to eight or ten cores per cpu.
Z** anything won't support ECC, IIRC none of the recent desktop northbridges have.

edit; E7s 88** series can support 8 cpus per Mobo.

E5-24xx can support 375GB and E5-26xx can support of to 750GB of RAM. Of course it would cost you a lot of money to do that but there you go. I also believe that is when they're used in a dual socket configuration if my experience buying these is anything. Either way it will be a while before Haswell Xeons that are useful come out. Right now they're still on Sandy Bridge 'tech'.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Overclock3D.net video review is up of Haswell 4770K and the main review with all the charts here. Video review puts a lot of focus on overclocking.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
This kind of got lost in the excitement: Intel announced on Friday that future Celeron and Pentium processors will be based on the Silvermont Atom, not Core processors. This increases the market segmentation between the Pentium and Core i3 models significantly. No word on whether we'll still see Haswell Celerons and Pentiums.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Guess we know the answer to the "Hey, what happened to Atom?" question now. Seems pretty ballsy given that they'll have to die harvest Haswell chips for something and if that's what they're doing for their mobile strategy, well that's pretty risky if you ask me.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Aaaaaand Haswell is now officially available on newegg.

Edit: you get a skull t-shirt with the i5 4670k or the i7 4770k :haw:

emuporium
Aug 20, 2004
Sacrilicious

Guni posted:

Aaaaaand Haswell is now officially available on newegg.

Edit: you get a skull t-shirt with the i5 4670k or the i7 4770k :haw:

http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

$70 cheaper at Microcenter. It's nice to see they are immediately discounting select Haswell processors right off the bat (if you have a Microcenter in your neighborhood, anyway)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Alereon posted:

This kind of got lost in the excitement: Intel announced on Friday that future Celeron and Pentium processors will be based on the Silvermont Atom, not Core processors. This increases the market segmentation between the Pentium and Core i3 models significantly. No word on whether we'll still see Haswell Celerons and Pentiums.

In my opinion Atom and Celeron being Atom based is fine, but they should drop the Pentium brand now. It's sad that their once flagship brand has been pummeled into something hopeless. Why even keep it around?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 23, 2021

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

HalloKitty posted:

In my opinion Atom and Celeron being Atom based is fine, but they should drop the Pentium brand now. It's sad that their once flagship brand has been pummeled into something hopeless. Why even keep it around?

My brain just sees i7/everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Anyone have experience with MSI motherboards? Newegg is bundling them aggressively with the new i7 K. I have only owned Asus and Abit (defunct now?) boards, so I have no background with MSI. In my day it was all Asus and Gigabyte anyway; the Abit was the legendary dual celeron BP6.

sincx posted:

Sigh. Without a competitive AMD, Intel is getting awfully greedy.

Oddly, the low end is where Intel actually has competition. Jaguar looks like a great little core.