Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Deviant posted:

Ah, yes, the game's alternate title:

"Give me the rulebook."

"Why? I know the cards, what's your que-"

"JUST GIVE ME THE RULEBOOK."

You'd think for a game as popular as 7 Wonders was at its peak there'd be a cheat sheet that didn't look like rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Poopy Palpy posted:

You'd think for a game as popular as 7 Wonders was at its peak there'd be a cheat sheet that didn't look like rear end.

Have you tried this one? (Headless Hollow)

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Pierzak posted:

Have you tried this one? (Headless Hollow)
That doesn't work because it doesn't explicitly spell out guild stuff, especially for the expansions.

The card I passed was the guild that gives you one VP for every 3 gold you have. I read it as simply giving me 3 gold and 1 VP.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.
Yeah 7 wonders suffers when at the other end if the table one person has 70 points and the person next to them has 40. Award yourself moral victories.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Poopy Palpy posted:

It doesn't really need one. Question about a symbol? Look on the last page of the manual. Question about a leader? Look at the Leaders booklet. They're small enough you don't really need a separate sheet or anything when you can just lob the book at someone, and learning the symbols doesn't really take more than a couple runs.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Stelas posted:

It doesn't really need one. Question about a symbol? Look on the last page of the manual. Question about a leader? Look at the Leaders booklet. They're small enough you don't really need a separate sheet or anything when you can just lob the book at someone, and learning the symbols doesn't really take more than a couple runs.

Question about a guild? It could be in any of 3 rulebooks!

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

cenotaph posted:

ASL seems like a pretty cool game....

I just got back from playing my first game of full ASL with an experienced player. It was great playing with someone who knows the rules, has all the counters sorted neatly, and has little tools to make the game move along faster (e.g. tweezers and tack to pick up counters quickly).

The scenario we played was Fighting Withdrawal (Scenario 1). The mission for both sides is to retreat south of the map. My side, the Finns, starts pretty much on the north edge of the map, while the Russians have dominance over the rest, hiding their troops in various places. The trick is that the Finns are really good units and the Ruskies are not! Also there's a couple of fires burning down buildings and woods along the way (that there's a wind spreading said flames doesn't help the matter).

The scenario plays out with the Finns both racing to the south exit while at the same time trying to plow their way through Russian lines, who also will slowly be withdrawing back.

I think I had a good start, but my momentum slowed down as the turns went on, and ultimately I conceded when I realized I had too few turns to make any units exit to the south; losing me the game.

So how does ASL play, in general? First, it's a somewhat longer game (our match took about three hours), at least compared to Combat Commander. Second, the game really emphasizes moving from cover to cover and trying not to die to units shooting at moving troops at every opportunity. There are really neat systems in place to make it so that there's not a stalemate between forces while at the same time there is a lot of decisions to make when moving forward. This scenario, which is not about killing and more about escape, is all about that movement and positioning.; the result is that the match is a great way to introduce Advanced Squad Leader to a newbie like me. Moving from the Starter Kit to the full game, I got to learn weather effects, snipers (drat those snipers), concealment, and a few tweaks to movement (being able to dash across roads and bypass buildings instead of being forced to move through them are excellent benefits).

Is ASL worth it? For fans of tactical-level firefights, probably (although the Starter Kit is where you want to go first). There are days upon days of content to go through with merely the rulebook and the first module, and with all of the content produced for the system you very well could play ASL forever. It's practically a hobby of its own, and I can't wait to play more of it.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Stelas posted:

Friend of mine has a few promo cards that aren't in the booklets. Although the leader Stevie Wonder is pretty obvious in what he does.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
I see that they have ASL on vassal, but I have not been able to find the rulebook(s) anywhere. Are the ASL rulebooks not released online anywhere? (Not asking for files, if that's the case with them).

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So, I'm trying to find a copy of Sentinels of the Multiverse + 2 expansions for a gift for a friend, but as my luck would have it, the publisher ran out of stock and almost no place I usually order from has it (I've only tried Canadian websites).

Does anyone know of a good website with reliabe/fast shipping (fully willing to pay a little bit more for that of course) that has it in stock? (Canadaian/American website fine)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

So, I'm trying to find a copy of Sentinels of the Multiverse + 2 expansions for a gift for a friend, but as my luck would have it, the publisher ran out of stock and almost no place I usually order from has it (I've only tried Canadian websites).

Does anyone know of a good website with reliabe/fast shipping (fully willing to pay a little bit more for that of course) that has it in stock? (Canadaian/American website fine)

Amazon.com has all three expansions in stock and a little bit discounted, but doesn't appear to even have a current listing for the main box. (Admittedly, you don't -have- to have the base game to play if anyone's familiar with the rules (which are super simple) and you have enough expansions to have at least three heroes, but I wouldn't really recommend it.) Amazon.ca has listings for the base game but you're either looking at a jacked up price or it not -really- being in stock ("ships in 1-2 months" my rear end).

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, willing to spend a tiny bit more than I usually would, but no dropping an insane amount when I know a reprint is happening and places would be in stock by end of the month. Worst comes to it, I give the guy an IOU an give it later.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Trynant posted:

I think I had a good start, but my momentum slowed down as the turns went on, and ultimately I conceded when I realized I had too few turns to make any units exit to the south; losing me the game.
This is one of those things that gets me about a lot of the tactical games I've looked at. Even Warhammer 40k has realized that variable game length is necessary to keep the game interesting all the way through. I know there are some ASL scenarios with variable game length. Maybe more of the newer ones have it?. When I see a new tactical game come out where the designer is trumpeting its innovation and then I look and see a typical "capture a building" game with a limit of five turns I just roll my eyes. It leads to dumb suicidal end turn dashes and stuff like that.

Trynant posted:

Moving from the Starter Kit to the full game, I got to learn weather effects, snipers (drat those snipers), concealment, and a few tweaks to movement (being able to dash across roads and bypass buildings instead of being forced to move through them are excellent benefits).
This kind of stuff is what seems to be the main draw of the system. Dashing and bypass are pretty cool.

Trynant posted:

Is ASL worth it? For fans of tactical-level firefights, probably (although the Starter Kit is where you want to go first). There are days upon days of content to go through with merely the rulebook and the first module, and with all of the content produced for the system you very well could play ASL forever. It's practically a hobby of its own, and I can't wait to play more of it.
It definitely seems like a lifestyle game.

Zombie #246 posted:

I see that they have ASL on vassal, but I have not been able to find the rulebook(s) anywhere. Are the ASL rulebooks not released online anywhere? (Not asking for files, if that's the case with them).
The rulebook is a 300 page $60 tome. They're not putting up free pdfs. There are mountains of video tutorials out there if you want to get an idea of how the system plays.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Poopy Palpy posted:

Question about a guild? It could be in any of 3 rulebooks!

Three rulebooks, but only about four small pages tops.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

cenotaph posted:

This is one of those things that gets me about a lot of the tactical games I've looked at. Even Warhammer 40k has realized that variable game length is necessary to keep the game interesting all the way through. I know there are some ASL scenarios with variable game length. Maybe more of the newer ones have it?. When I see a new tactical game come out where the designer is trumpeting its innovation and then I look and see a typical "capture a building" game with a limit of five turns I just roll my eyes. It leads to dumb suicidal end turn dashes and stuff like that.

I don't think the turn limit is a real hindrance in a two-player game. In my case, it was literally impossible for me to win in the next couple of turns, so there wasn't a problem for us to agree to end it early. I get the feel a lot of ASL scenarios are easily concede-able like that if the game swings too far in favor of one player; and the turn limit felt more of a simple way to make sure a fairly long game did have an end. And to be fair to ASL, the game is 28 years old or so; that it doesn't have flashy, innovative mechanics is kind of forgiven.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Trynant posted:

I don't think the turn limit is a real hindrance in a two-player game. In my case, it was literally impossible for me to win in the next couple of turns, so there wasn't a problem for us to agree to end it early. I get the feel a lot of ASL scenarios are easily concede-able like that if the game swings too far in favor of one player; and the turn limit felt more of a simple way to make sure a fairly long game did have an end. And to be fair to ASL, the game is 28 years old or so; that it doesn't have flashy, innovative mechanics is kind of forgiven.

I think it's a per-scenario situation, honestly, though I prefer a game to have variable length built in. It would be silly of me to say that out of all the ASL scenarios ever published it would be a problem in all of them. I've played some scenarios in different games where if you don't significantly affect your opponent's squads in the first turn you're going to need some incredible luck to win because of the limit. Or a defender who knows they go last can play to sidle into an objective building to deny the victory.

I also prefer variable game length because it gives you more incentive to carefully push forward instead of saying "well boys it's the last turn, might as well run to our deaths and hope we roll well." The Guards Counterattack seems to be a scenario where this is a problem. Again, you could get around this by more carefully designing scenarios but baking it in to the game system creates the expectation.

I'm perfectly willing to give the aging ASL scenarios a pass since it is pretty old but people are still making new scenarios for it and designing all new games and fans keep complaining about last turn suicide charges. I don't have a problem with concession due to poor play or whatever.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

The Black Stones posted:

http://www.rockinbgames.com/store seems to have them. It's in Florida if I'm not mixing it. Drop a mail to mrb.rockinbgames@gmail.com to ask if he has what you need, price and shipping options. I buy all my games from there, the prices are competitive with Coolstuff's (aside their $100 offer of course) and the owner is the most reliable and helpful shopkeeper that I've ever worked with internationally. He always finds a way to provide all my weird requests.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Wife and I just got the Explorers and Pirates of Catan expansion and had a helluva time deciphering the bag organization instructions with discrepancies between the written instructions and the numbers on the organization tiles and the number of bags contained in the set. Pretty frustrating.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

echoMateria posted:

http://www.rockinbgames.com/store seems to have them. It's in Florida if I'm not mixing it. Drop a mail to mrb.rockinbgames@gmail.com to ask if he has what you need, price and shipping options. I buy all my games from there, the prices are competitive with Coolstuff's (aside their $100 offer of course) and the owner is the most reliable and helpful shopkeeper that I've ever worked with internationally. He always finds a way to provide all my weird requests.

Thanks a bunch. Will drop a e-mail later tonight.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Libertalia was just restocked on CoolStuffInc today in case anyone's been looking to pick it up. I've been dying to play ever since SU&SD kept bringing it up in their podcasts as well as their written review, so I'm pretty pumped to finally get my hands on it. One week til I play it!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

al-azad posted:

Isn't there a chance of no traitor in a 3-4 player game of Shadows Over Camelot? Not that I'm recommending you play that game.

I was aware of Shadows over Camelot having a possibility of a traitor. But I'm not exactly sure what to think of it. From what I've heard, it has the element of possible paranoia - but the gameplay is lacking.

FelchTragedy posted:

There is the shadows over camelot the card game too. It's rating is undeservedly low on bgg I think.

Does the sabateour 2 expansion have optional traitory roles.

The description reminds me of a resistance kind of thing. Could be interesting.

mikeycp posted:

Room 25 is an alright game where there may or may not be a traitor. Not great, but not terrible either.

Again, the description sounds alright. I'll look more into this, then it'd be a case of actually finding it.

bobvonunheil posted:

How about Archipelago? The art in that game is absolutely gorgeous, as well.

SilverMike posted:

I'd second Archipelago, there are ten different hidden objective cards with one of them being a Separatist trying to incite the native population and force a rebellion to end the game. Also since most objectives give out VP for top three finishers, I'd count the Pacifist as a semi-traitor; he wants to make the natives really happy with the colonies and will score VP for only himself if it's pulled off.

Add to that the already semi-cooperative nature of the game where you need to work together just enough to keep the natives from rebelling but still must advance your own agendas, and you've got a great setup for traitor paranoia as long as you can stand the idea of a colony building game.

After watching the review, I want this game. But I also have no idea what is going on and I have a feeling it will be entirely overwhelming at first. And teaching it to my group will be an event in itself. But, it has beautiful hexes so I'm in. The gameplay mechanics actually seem to capture what I'm looking for too. You need to work together to make sure you don't all lose, but maybe that one guy isn't entirely on board. I guess that there is no joint victories, which would be the only thing missing but I can't complain about that.

Now just to find somewhere where it's in stock.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Amoeba102 posted:

I was aware of Shadows over Camelot having a possibility of a traitor. But I'm not exactly sure what to think of it. From what I've heard, it has the element of possible paranoia - but the gameplay is lacking.

The problem with the Traitor mechanic in SoC is that the only way to be traitorous, is to play badly. This makes it impossible to do anything if people are paying even remote amounts of attention.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I don't know if anybody here plays Space Empires 4x, but I am dabbling with increasing the time it takes to improve Tech.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/985344/slower-tech-upgrades

Fake edit: I am generally against houserules. But whatever.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I just found out that Kings & Things was reprinted in 2010, so I'm poking around for some more info

I find a site selling it with some user comments

"I loved this game - my gaming circle lost it when the owner was kidnapped at gun point and put in his trunk. We are happy he was ok at the end of the day, but it was a shame to lose the game."

:stare:

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

The General posted:

The problem with the Traitor mechanic in SoC is that the only way to be traitorous, is to play badly. This makes it impossible to do anything if people are paying even remote amounts of attention.

I think ideally, the traitor should play well for a while - but only in an attempt to get Lancelot's Armor, to improve their ability to screw with the loyal players later.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

How about Archipelago? The art in that game is absolutely gorgeous, as well.

Whoa this looks awesome. One question for anyone who has played it: Is there any issue with players intentionally torpedoing the cooperative aspect if they know they won't win in the endgame? Or does the secret objective element make everyone feel like they've always got a shot at winning?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

A question about Sentinels of the Multiverse, too late did I realize I got the older edition of it; the newer one adds or refines some balancing mechanics on the original cards, from what I've read; how significant are the changes?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

PopZeus posted:

Whoa this looks awesome. One question for anyone who has played it: Is there any issue with players intentionally torpedoing the cooperative aspect if they know they won't win in the endgame? Or does the secret objective element make everyone feel like they've always got a shot at winning?

I haven't had a play through yet, but the hidden objectives really should reduce that. I can't imagine anyone would let themselves get so far behind as to think that necessary.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Zombie #246 posted:

A question about Sentinels of the Multiverse, too late did I realize I got the older edition of it; the newer one adds or refines some balancing mechanics on the original cards, from what I've read; how significant are the changes?

The main thing is that they reword various villain characters & decks to use the number of heroes being played as a variable (only balanced for 3-5, though). I think they incorporated a little bit of errata and such also. And they include a bunch of tracking tokens that the older version doesn't and put it in a nicer box.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If you haven't already bought into it, Netrunner's Core Set is $20 at MM. If you already have a feeling you'll like the game, you might as well get another Core for optimal deckbuilding. Then get all the data packs. :getin:

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
7 wonders worked out well, no gameplay problems but i did have to insist a lot that people lay out their cards as theyre bloody designed to be layed out, yes it's important no im not nitpicking dont stack them sideways or in piles or half shoved under your wonder board for fucks sake you and everyone else need to be able to see all the relevant names and symbols oh god why would you even do that the card frames are designed like that for a reason sigh. a bunch of great games of avalon too, for 5 players we ended up settling on just merlin percival and assassin, having morghana seemed to tip the scales too often. and i dont know if its intentional but the voices on the android avalon announcer cause uncontrollable giggling

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
This weekend, I tried 5P Avalon with Merlin/Percival/Blue Shirt/Assassin/Mordred (chosen at random). It was a loving blowout.

I get Percival. Quest 1, Mordred is leader and chooses herself and Merlin to go on it. The Quest goes (3-2, Merlin voted yes) and it fails (Mordred's player was very new and didn't know to play deep cover). Merlin says, "Interesting." I'm like, "Oh, so you're Mordred!" followed by a hushed, "oh poo poo. shouldn't have said that out loud."

I mean, I usually always claim Merlin, but a single round in and I had perfect information. So now I'm leading discussion and pretending to be Merlin pretending to be Percival pretending to be Merlin.

Merlin was next in line. Chooses himself and a blue shirt. Mission goes (3-2, Good team voted yes), and passes. Blue shirt goes, picks herself, Merlin, and me. Goes and passes (although Red players started voting Yes to confuse). Assassin goes and at this point there was no way that we'd let anybody but the good team on a mission.

Assassin discussion happens and I get shot for obvious reasons. Blue team wins.

In 5P, I'm probably sticking to Merlin/BS/BS/Assassin/RS. And never again am I playing Percival without Morgana; the Blue team just has way too big of an advantage, even without player skill gaps.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?

OrangeKing posted:

I think ideally, the traitor should play well for a while - but only in an attempt to get Lancelot's Armor, to improve their ability to screw with the loyal players later.

Also you can throw away key cards on the quest for Excalibur with no one knowing.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

In my group's starting games of Avalon, the Merlin player(s) always played deep deep cover by playing fail cards every time. Even the bad guys were confused about what was going on.

Needless to say, for anyone that has yet to play Avalon, if you're a good guy don't ever play a fail card.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Zombie #246 posted:

In my group's starting games of Avalon, the Merlin player(s) always played deep deep cover by playing fail cards every time. Even the bad guys were confused about what was going on.

Needless to say, for anyone that has yet to play Avalon, if you're a good guy don't ever play a fail card.

Isn't it against the rules? That was my impression.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Good players cannot play fail cards. There are icons on the fail/success cards to denote which one(s) you are allowed to play.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

For a gaming group that played but was disappointed for various reasons by Runebound and Rune Wars, should we check out Mage Knight?

We do enjoy Descent with a completely cutthroat Overlord, and the gaming proficiency level of the group in general is pretty high if that matters. We also equally enjoy completely cooperative or completely competitive gaming.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I just purchased a used copy of Paths of Glory first edition in (hopefully) very good condition on Ebay tonight. Only later to check out the BBG page on the game to see that theres a 4th edition printing unopened for like 45 bucks on there and I felt so goddamn stupid and I couldn't cancel my order. I don't feel so bad about it since its not a click to buy but a bid and I don't feel like possibly getting into a bidding war for an out of print game. Is there any difference between the first edition and later editions, especially the 2010/2012 printings?

Also whats the opinion on Space Empires 4x? I've been on a kick of GMT games lately, I've got Pursuit of Glory coming in soon, hopefully, from my LGS and I bought Urban Sprawl recently. Which what's the hive minds consensus on that as well? It looks good, a bit complicated like all GMT games but I love Sim City and games about building a cities and societies in general. Of which Suburbia has had to be one of my best purchases recently and I just love that game, it might be unfair or just far too different for a comparison but how does Urban Sprawl compare to Suburbia?

I did recently play Relic, HOLY CRAP! was that an ordinal. It was my first time ever playing Talisman and it just got to be a chore. I had a quest I thought I could do in like the first 2 or 3 turns to only spend the next hour still saddled with it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The General posted:

My view of SoC is that you shouldn't get hung up on the traitor. The game's mechanics are so completely against the players that you're going to play badly even if you're trying your hardest not to.

If you're the traitor, just play the game like you would if you weren't. If everyone wins the consider it a well fought game because SoC hates you and its mechanics hate you. If you see the game going down the toilet, and it probably will half the time, then you can start sabotaging the game to claim an easy victory. People usually end up accusing everyone except the traitor because everyone plays SoC poorly. Everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

KomradeX posted:

So I just purchased a used copy of Paths of Glory first edition in (hopefully) very good condition on Ebay tonight. Only later to check out the BBG page on the game to see that theres a 4th edition printing unopened for like 45 bucks on there and I felt so goddamn stupid and I couldn't cancel my order. I don't feel so bad about it since its not a click to buy but a bid and I don't feel like possibly getting into a bidding war for an out of print game. Is there any difference between the first edition and later editions, especially the 2010/2012 printings?

GMT Site posted:

NOTE: The Fourth and Fifth printings (2010 and 2013 Reprints) include a Mounted Map, Thicker Counters, and a thicker Box.
If you like mounted boards you can order it separate. (There's also this but I don't know the difference)

• Locked thread