Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Why won't my king touch his attractive, lusty, hedonistic concubine :qq:

VVVV But my king has the ambitious trait :argh:

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

HenessyHero posted:

Why won't my king touch his attractive, lusty, hedonistic concubine :qq:

He probably feels intimidated by her hotness. A guy like him... a concubine like her... he could never live up to that. :smith:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

How the hell am I supposed to reform the Norse religion before it drops precipitously through the other, AI kings losing holy wars? Unreformed Norse don't have holy wars of their own to counteract it and by the time I smash temples the +1 is counteracted by something else. I even won a prepared invasion but that was only +5.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Sankis posted:

How the hell am I supposed to reform the Norse religion before it drops precipitously through the other, AI kings losing holy wars? Unreformed Norse don't have holy wars of their own to counteract it and by the time I smash temples the +1 is counteracted by something else. I even won a prepared invasion but that was only +5.

In my current Denmark game I just declared war on all the coastal Irish counties simultaneously. Every won war gets you +2 religious authority or some such. Pushed me from 39 to 'reform the Norse faith' in one bloody rampage across Ireland, and got me the Irish crown to boot.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Each holy site owned by any Norse liege is +10 to Norse moral authority. You need to own 3 of the holy sites to reform, but the rest can be owned by other Norse leaders.

Zeeland is easy enough to steal if you wait for Holland to rebel from Lotharingia or whatever massive Carolingan blob usually controls it. So long as the rest of the Scandinavian kingdoms stay Norse you should be at an automatic +40. It's not too much work to get procure a third site from another Scandinavian kingdom, if you started in Scandinavia. Trying to reform from the British Isles however is hard mode.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

So I ran a 867-1453 hands off game.

Couple things:

-I think the Aztecs are broken. They show up and just chill on the coast, not fighting anyone or anything.
-Armies sizes are out of control. By game end there was at least three powers in my game who could field 500,000+ men, not including retinues.
-There are 8 levels of technology but no one in my game got past level 6.
-The new retinue formula is interesting. It looks like at game start you basically get 6 dudes from each holding you or a vassal owns. This is then multiplied by the technology level for Military Org. up to 1600% at max tech level.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Wouldn't you only get +20%? It's not like it's static, either. If the norse control 4 holy sites then they don't have a minimum of 40% moral authority. Three of the sites are already owned by Norse at the start of the game.

Waiting is bad, because the longer I wait the further it'll have dropped. I can easily get three or four of the holy sites as my first ruler but by the time I do, it's almost always at about 35 and dropping. Nothing the Norse can do gives them more than a few points at a time so anything you actually accomplish is easily counteracted by a single holy war. I just tried the tactic of invading each irish opm and by the time I was finished I'd barely gained anything.

I should just cheat. It seems crazily difficult if not impossible to raise it out of a mid 20s, early 30s slump unless you somehow get all of the other countries to stop declaring war. It seems to be all about how fast you can get three holy sites with your first ruler which is just silly. I guess I could also just not worry about it but playing the Norse long term seems like much more of a chore since their defining feature will soon be fairly obsolete by 1100 or so. I guess I could wait to see what CK2+ does with it.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 2, 2013

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Couple quick mod questions -

CK2+ start up screen freezes when it gets to "initializing map logic" on the start up screen. The hourglass is turning, but the bar isn't moving at all. Its version 1.33.25, and the CK copy is from Steam.

Once I get that fixed, is Umbra Spherae compatable? Running matriarchies in East Asia appeals to me.

Finally, for the basic game, how do I make Absolute cognatic open to all factions? The thread I'm looking at says go to the Decisions folder in Ck2, but I don't see a decisions folder, or a file named succession_laws.txt.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

LowellDND posted:

Couple quick mod questions -

CK2+ start up screen freezes when it gets to "initializing map logic" on the start up screen. The hourglass is turning, but the bar isn't moving at all. Its version 1.33.25, and the CK copy is from Steam.

Once I get that fixed, is Umbra Spherae compatable? Running matriarchies in East Asia appeals to me.

Finally, for the basic game, how do I make Absolute cognatic open to all factions? The thread I'm looking at says go to the Decisions folder in Ck2, but I don't see a decisions folder, or a file named succession_laws.txt.

Almost no mods have been updated to the newest version yet, it's only been out 5 days and changes just about everything.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Okay, thank you. I just bought the game a couple days ago, and have no idea on the state of affairs.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Sankis posted:

Wouldn't you only get +20%? It's not like it's static, either. If the norse control 4 holy sites then they don't have a minimum of 40% moral authority. Three of the sites are already owned by Norse at the start of the game.

No, each controlled holy site gives +10%. However it's possible to have less than 40% even with 4 sites controlled due to losing moral authority in wars, etc. I believe you can join in the holy wars to help your side win, however I've never had to do that to reach the threshold. Help beat the poo poo out of British Isle Catholics while securing the sites and you should be able to reform by the late 900s.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Flippycunt posted:

-I think the Aztecs are broken. They show up and just chill on the coast, not fighting anyone or anything.

I ran into that too; it's fixable by granting the Aztec king a county, at which point they act normally. For some reason the auto-DoW doesn't trigger when they arrive.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Roughly how long does it take to unite Ireland? It takes me like 100 years and I don't know whether that's bad or normal, it looked easier in the Youtube Let's Play but those were older versions.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Vikings are incredibly, incredibly annoying if you're not one of them. They randomly land on your coast and siege it for awhile, and since the AI always has pitch-perfect timing, will run back to their boats 100% of the time before you can actually bring anyone around to deal with them. And since levies now raise at 0 morale, levies raised directly under them will just lose, unless they're something like 10x their numbers. :(

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

You have unlimited CBs against coastal counties as Norse. Beat the crap out of Christians. It's not rocket science.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Shadeoses posted:

:frogsiren: For anyone frustrated by loading crashes when you try and make a mod :frogsiren:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?691795-Issues-with-custom-maps-1.10

Basically, they broke some things in very interesting ways. De Jure Duchies must be part of a kingdom, and there must be at least one portage and major river.

And make sure you delete your cached data, they added a \map\ folder alongside \gfx\.

drat it JohanDoomdark, Japan does not have any navigable long rivers!

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Annath posted:

I tried typing /event 1000000 into the console and nothing happened. I copied the files from the download into the /steamapps/common/crusader kings ii/ folder where they seemed to go, but its giving me an error.

e: and the Immortal trait is selected from the Ruler Designer, but that command gives an error

That's odd. Did you put it i the crusader kings ii/mods folder? There's a text file there telling you not to put mods in there but just ignore that.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Roughly how long does it take to unite Ireland? It takes me like 100 years and I don't know whether that's bad or normal, it looked easier in the Youtube Let's Play but those were older versions.

I just started an Ireland game using the 1066 start date the other day. I started out with Dublin, and it took me about 30 years to bring all of Ireland together. I don't know how much harder it would be from the 867 start date. How fast you get it done will depend on how quickly you can get claims fabricated, so make sure to invite a good chancellor to your realm if you don't have anyone with high diplomacy.

Start as Dublin (you'll inherit a county from your father when he dies in a few years). Or as the Duke of Munster, since that start gives you an immediate claim on Desmond you can press.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Litany Unheard posted:

I just started an Ireland game using the 1066 start date the other day. I started out with Dublin, and it took me about 30 years to bring all of Ireland together. I don't know how much harder it would be from the 867 start date. How fast you get it done will depend on how quickly you can get claims fabricated, so make sure to invite a good chancellor to your realm if you don't have anyone with high diplomacy.

30 years? Wow, I must be doing something really wrong. For one thing, my income is really low and it takes forever to get it up to a decent level to do anything. That really hampers my ability to hire mercenaries or afford any upgrades. How I get foreign guys with megastats to come to my court? I give them a gift and invite them to court but they almost always still say no.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

TOOT BOOT posted:

30 years? Wow, I must be doing something really wrong. For one thing, my income is really low and it takes forever to get it up to a decent level to do anything. That really hampers my ability to hire mercenaries or afford any upgrades. How I get foreign guys with megastats to come to my court? I give them a gift and invite them to court but they almost always still say no.

Early game, when you're a one or two-county count/duke, the best way to get some extra cash is to seize any cities in your demense. Click on the city, select the mayor, and revoke his title. He probably won't revolt, and even if he does you should have more troops than him. It'll say "Wrong holding type", but that just means a small penalty to our income; you'll still be getting way more cash than before. Once you've got some extra counties and are nearing your holding limit, make new mayors for your cities by right clicking on the city's portrait and selecting the "Create new vassal" button that pops-up.

As far as inviting guys to your court, look for ones who like you (green number), but dislike their liege (red number). And remember to hover your mouse over the "No" to look at the pop-up; it'll give you a breakdown explaining why they'll refuse your invitation. Count the number of green crosses and the number of red dashes in the pop-up. If they're almost equal, send a gift to push him over the edge to a "yes". If there are way more red dashes than green crosses, save your money. He doesn't like you, and probably never will.

Edit: Yeah, 30 years. The game has been going for almost 80 now, and I control Ireland, Wales, and a couple of counties in Scotland. Members of my dynasty control Scotland and several strong duchies in England, the Byzantine Empire, and France. My dynasty actually ruled France for a few years, but I wasn't able to keep my kinsman on the throne. Murdered all those children for nothing.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 2, 2013

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Question, with Gavelkind if it'd lead to the creation of multiple independent realms why does the second son if there's two get two kingdoms to the first's one?

Edit: Really Gavelkind just seems to work in the most obnoxious way possible. I'd rather it create like... one son gets Kingdom X, the Other Kingdom Y, the Third Kingdom C rather than this weird mishmash that makes nonsensical borders.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Gorelab posted:

Question, with Gavelkind if it'd lead to the creation of multiple independent realms why does the second son if there's two get two kingdoms to the first's one?

A lot of other people have brought up that complaint on the Paradox forums and the consensus seems to be that it's a bug or an unintended mechanic.

On another note, an easy and altogether hosed up way to drum up extra prestige during a blot is to concubine youthful female nobles just before they're hanged. When the event pops up for a selected character to be hanged, you'll still be able to concubine them before the sacrifice. What's even more effed is that this probably isn't outside the realm of realism if Ahmed Ibn Fadlan's account of the Norse is accurate.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
gently caress Magyars. At the new start date, their little nascent doomstack fucks over Bulgaria, which wouldn't be a problem for me as Dyre the Stranger trying to carve out my own little Viking kingdom, except when he comes back ten years later as lord of Hungary on steroids, inevitably taking Rus from me as he steamrolls my army.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'll admit to always cheating after Hungary gets it's de jure territory and making it release all it's little trailing steppe territory as independent realms and deleting it's doomstacks.

Thumbs Up Dude
Aug 25, 2006

Flippycunt posted:

So I ran a 867-1453 hands off game.

Couple things:

-Armies sizes are out of control. By game end there was at least three powers in my game who could field 500,000+ men, not including retinues.
-There are 8 levels of technology but no one in my game got past level 6.
-The new retinue formula is interesting. It looks like at game start you basically get 6 dudes from each holding you or a vassal owns. This is then multiplied by the technology level for Military Org. up to 1600% at max tech level.

Numbers on levies are indeed out of whack, I can raise 100k troops and 4000 ships as Britannia. Ridiculous.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Litany Unheard posted:

Early game, when you're a one or two-county count/duke, the best way to get some extra cash is to seize any cities in your demense. Click on the city, select the mayor, and revoke his title. He probably won't revolt, and even if he does you should have more troops than him. It'll say "Wrong holding type", but that just means a small penalty to our income; you'll still be getting way more cash than before. Once you've got some extra counties and are nearing your holding limit, make new mayors for your cities by right clicking on the city's portrait and selecting the "Create new vassal" button that pops-up.

As far as inviting guys to your court, look for ones who like you (green number), but dislike their liege (red number). And remember to hover your mouse over the "No" to look at the pop-up; it'll give you a breakdown explaining why they'll refuse your invitation. Count the number of green crosses and the number of red dashes in the pop-up. If they're almost equal, send a gift to push him over the edge to a "yes". If there are way more red dashes than green crosses, save your money. He doesn't like you, and probably never will.

Edit: Yeah, 30 years. The game has been going for almost 80 now, and I control Ireland, Wales, and a couple of counties in Scotland. Members of my dynasty control Scotland and several strong duchies in England, the Byzantine Empire, and France. My dynasty actually ruled France for a few years, but I wasn't able to keep my kinsman on the throne. Murdered all those children for nothing.

To extend the question - I've been marrying off all my sons to genius and quick courtiers. Meanwhile, I invited a bunch of claimants from other Irish counties, and matrimonially married their sons or grandsons off various daughters and nieces. I grabbed a few counties with fake claims, but I was expecting the married counties to enter my family. Turns out the new counts didnt like that idea and refused the marriage.

Should I even bother grabbing claimants from other counties if they waste my time like that?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Man, Zoroastrian is the masochist start. I hate to admit it, but I dunno how to go about getting into snowball position without restarting/save scumming. I ended up busting my way through the medium emirates, rotating them as I went, being careful to try and step into any Holy Wars that were smashing my mates. I wanted to assassinate the Caliph because on 2 occasions he almost ruined a holy war for me, but no one in the plot list had more than 10% plot chance, and they all love him. I'd say getting lucky with assassinations on him would be key. Assassinate everyone. Also my first kid to my half sister is loving inbred of course. Assassinate him too.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Flippycunt posted:

Why is this a problem? Big armies tend to be more fun anyway. A flood of men to drown my enemies!

I think my next game will have to be about saving Zoroastrianism. Seems challenging.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

LowellDND posted:

To extend the question - I've been marrying off all my sons to genius and quick courtiers. Meanwhile, I invited a bunch of claimants from other Irish counties, and matrimonially married their sons or grandsons off various daughters and nieces. I grabbed a few counties with fake claims, but I was expecting the married counties to enter my family. Turns out the new counts didnt like that idea and refused the marriage.

Should I even bother grabbing claimants from other counties if they waste my time like that?

If you matrilineally betroth a couple, they might accept the betrothal, but then reject the marriage itself when the offer comes. This happens when the groom-to-be suddenly ends up more likely to inherit a title (such as if you put his dad on a throne). I get what you're trying to do, but the proper way is like this:

1) Find an unmarried claimant, preferably with an inheritable claim.
2) Invite to your court. He should accept, especially if he's living in the realm you're trying to conquer.
3) Once he's your courtier, matri-marry him to someone in your dynasty. Their children will be of your family.
4a) Traditional method: if he has an inheritable claim, wait for him to have a son, and then see to it he dies in a tragic accident. Press the child's claim. Note that this can be problematic if the claim degrades to a weak one on inheritance.
4b) Slowly-but-surely method: Press the courtier's claim. This will put him in power in an independent realm, since he's not of your dynasty. However, his children will be your family. Once he dies, you can press a younger son's claim and absorb the title into your realm.

The slowly but surely method has the advantage that if the claimant married your sister or daughter, you have a good ally in the meantime. Help him grow his kingdom, as it will only help you in the long run. It also works with non-inheritable claims.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Edit:^^^^^ what he said

LowellDND posted:

Just because someone is in your dynasty doesn't mean they swear fealty to you. So if your goal is to capture and control those counties, that's not the way to go about it. What you want to do to seize territory through claims is:

1.) Find someone with a claim that can be inherited.
2.) Invite them to court and marry them off, matrilineally, to a kinswoman.
3.) Wait for them to have kids.
4.) Kill the original claimant. His claims now pass on to his children.
5.) Press the claims through war.

And remember that when you press the claims for a kinsman, they'll only swear fealty to you if you're higher rank than the title they've gained. I can put a kinsman of mine on the throne of France, but he won't swear allegiance to me unless I'm an Emperor.

And no, don't waste time with that stuff on an Irish start. It's a small kingdom, so just grab seven counties, form the kingdom, and offer vassalization to any Irish counts/dukes not under your control.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Litany Unheard posted:

Edit:^^^^^ what he said

Just because someone is in your dynasty doesn't mean they swear fealty to you. So if your goal is to capture and control those counties, that's not the way to go about it. What you want to do to seize territory through claims is:

1.) Find someone with a claim that can be inherited.
2.) Invite them to court and marry them off, matrilineally, to a kinswoman.
3.) Wait for them to have kids.
4.) Kill the original claimant. His claims now pass on to his children.
5.) Press the claims through war.

And remember that when you press the claims for a kinsman, they'll only swear fealty to you if you're higher rank than the title they've gained. I can put a kinsman of mine on the throne of France, but he won't swear allegiance to me unless I'm an Emperor.

And no, don't waste time with that stuff on an Irish start. It's a small kingdom, so just grab seven counties, form the kingdom, and offer vassalization to any Irish counts/dukes not under your control.

Mmk, I guess my timing was off. I betrothed their kids to my kids, and they called off the marriage when it came due.

Should I just invite courtiers without wives, or should I just make sure to wait for the kids' wedding before invading?

And, how do I speed up Ireland? I had gotten about 3 fake CB invasions in the time it took for 2 of the betrothal/weddings to activate.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Nolanar posted:

If you matrilineally betroth a couple, they might accept the betrothal, but then reject the marriage itself when the offer comes. This happens when the groom-to-be suddenly ends up more likely to inherit a title (such as if you put his dad on a throne). I get what you're trying to do, but the proper way is like this:

2) Invite to your court. He should accept, especially if he's living in the realm you're trying to conquer.
3) Once he's your courtier, matri-marry him to someone in your dynasty. Their children will be of your family.
4a) Traditional method: if he has an inheritable claim, wait for him to have a son, and then see to it he dies in a tragic accident. Press the child's claim. Note that this can be problematic if the claim degrades to a weak one on inheritance.
4b) Slowly-but-surely method: Press the courtier's claim. This will put him in power in an independent realm, since he's not of your dynasty. However, his children will be your family. Once he dies, you can press a younger son's claim and absorb the title into your realm.

The slowly but surely method has the advantage that if the claimant married your sister or daughter, you have a good ally in the meantime. Help him grow his kingdom, as it will only help you in the long run. It also works with non-inheritable claims.

How do you ensure an accident? Just do assassination and have a high spy score?

When does a strong claim change to a weak one, and what is the difference?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

LowellDND posted:

Mmk, I guess my timing was off. I betrothed their kids to my kids, and they called off the marriage when it came due.

Should I just invite courtiers without wives, or should I just make sure to wait for the kids' wedding before invading?

And, how do I speed up Ireland? I had gotten about 3 fake CB invasions in the time it took for 2 of the betrothal/weddings to activate.

Don't bother with betrothals; the AI will agree to betrothals it'll never be willing to consummate. And I stick to unmarried courtiers; it's easier than inviting a married one and having to murder his wife and kids.

Quick and dirty guide to Ireland:

1.) Start as the Count of Dublin.
2.) Revoke the city in the county of Dublin. Begin fabricating a claim against the county due west.
3.) Your father, the count of Leinster, will die pretty soon and pass Leinster on to you.
4.) If fabricating claims is going slowly, get a better chancellor. You want at least 14-15 diplomacy to get them quick. Higher is better. Sometimes they just take a while to fire, though. So be patient.
5.) Once you have seven counties, form the kingdom. Offer vassalization to everyone left in Ireland; they'll accept.

As far as "accidents," assassination plots or paying for an assassination. Either way.

Strong claims are for the second/third in line. All other kids get weak claims. Strong claims become weak claims when passed on. Strong claims can be pressed in almost all circumstances, but you can only press weak claims under certain conditions. Specifically when a child or woman is ruler, or there is a civil war in the realm in question.

You can, of course, force these conditions by assassinating rulers so that their underage child inherits, or so that the despised, inbred heir takes over, leading to a civil war and a chance to seize a duchy, etc.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Litany Unheard posted:

Don't bother with betrothals; the AI will agree to betrothals it'll never be willing to consummate. And I stick to unmarried courtiers; it's easier than inviting a married one and having to murder his wife and kids.

Quick and dirty guide to Ireland:

1.) Start as the Count of Dublin.
2.) Revoke the city in the county of Dublin. Begin fabricating a claim against the county due west.
3.) Your father, the count of Leinster, will die pretty soon and pass Leinster on to you.
4.) If fabricating claims is going slowly, get a better chancellor. You want at least 14-15 diplomacy to get them quick. Higher is better. Sometimes they just take a while to fire, though. So be patient.
5.) Once you have seven counties, form the kingdom. Offer vassalization to everyone left in Ireland; they'll accept.

As far as "accidents," assassination plots or paying for an assassination. Either way.

Strong claims are for the second/third in line. All other kids get weak claims. Strong claims become weak claims when passed on. Strong claims can be pressed in almost all circumstances, but you can only press weak claims under certain conditions. Specifically when a child or woman is ruler, or there is a civil war in the realm in question.

You can, of course, force these conditions by assassinating rulers so that their underage child inherits, or so that the despised, inbred heir takes over, leading to a civil war and a chance to seize a duchy, etc.

Okay. This guide suggests I should do a purge of the court as well as the city. Do you think its a good idea to rebuild the council this way? if so, should I do it with each new character?

Additionally, the letsplay archive has duchies forming when he has 1/2 provinces, and then pushing dejure. Did that change in a recent patch?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Flippycunt posted:

Almost no mods have been updated to the newest version yet, it's only been out 5 days and changes just about everything.

It's frustrating! I can load the main menu now, but when I click on a county in my mod to play as, it crashes at "adapting history", even though none of the history files have changed since I last updated my mod.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

LowellDND posted:

Okay. This guide suggests I should do a purge of the court as well as the city. Do you think its a good idea to rebuild the council this way? if so, should I do it with each new character?

Additionally, the letsplay archive has duchies forming when he has 1/2 provinces, and then pushing dejure. Did that change in a recent patch?

That's a lot of min-maxing that I never bother with it. Feel free to do all that if you want though; it'll net you some extra cash if nothing else.

And yeah, used to be 50% of the counties let you form the duchy. Now you need 51%, which means you need both counties before you can form the duchy. The Dublin start used to be a lot faster before that change.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Litany Unheard posted:

That's a lot of min-maxing that I never bother with it. Feel free to do all that if you want though; it'll net you some extra cash if nothing else.

And yeah, used to be 50% of the counties let you form the duchy. Now you need 51%, which means you need both counties before you can form the duchy. The Dublin start used to be a lot faster before that change.

Ah, thats why I've been confused.

Now, for a code question. How would I remove the basque requirement for absolute cognatic succession? I'm not seeing the folders and files google is telling me to look for.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Athas posted:

Why is this a problem? Big armies tend to be more fun anyway. A flood of men to drown my enemies!

I think my next game will have to be about saving Zoroastrianism. Seems challenging.

Because it promotes blobbing.

If you have 3000 men and your liege has 5000 men and you want to become independent you're one mercenary band away from evening up the odds. But if you have 10,000 men and he has 17,000 men suddenly its a lot harder. I was seeing end game where one holding could raise like 3,000 men, multiplied by the number of holding and suddenly being even slightly bigger than your neighbor gives you enough troops to swing wars. Thus the bigger guys constant conquer all their neighbors, throwing off the balance further.

DrSunshine posted:

It's frustrating! I can load the main menu now, but when I click on a county in my mod to play as, it crashes at "adapting history", even though none of the history files have changed since I last updated my mod.

Yeah man, I don't know. I'm just glad my mod is relatively simple in terms of files, otherwise I'd probably be tearing my hair out too.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Nolanar posted:

If you have a barony free you can do it differently and much faster:
get claimant into court and go to war for pressing his claim,
when you're about to make peace grant him the barony then he gains a county but stays in your realm
you can now plot to revoke barony as it is outside his primary title
when plot goes through you usually go to war with him, beat him down and revoke both county and barony
repeat with other claimant

You'd get hit with tyranny opinion and prestige penalties for revocation if your crown authority is autonomous vassals though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

LowellDND posted:

Ah, thats why I've been confused.

Now, for a code question. How would I remove the basque requirement for absolute cognatic succession? I'm not seeing the folders and files google is telling me to look for.

code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\crusader kings ii\decisions
Now edit "sucession_laws.txt"

and find the bit that says "true cognatic", or just ctrl-f "basque" and remove the "culture=basque" bit.

• Locked thread