Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polysynth
Dec 12, 2006

rock out

Comstar posted:

The minute hand represents the pole. the hour hand is pointing at a "V". There is a notch in the lake directly south west of the pole. Go (4 feet 33 inches??) in that direction from the pole...and dig.

Conversely, someone who knows music read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coltrane_changes and explain what it's talking about because it's all over my head. Considering we are IN a park dedicated to a Jazz Musician, there's no way that's a coincidence!

Only thing that comes to mind is a major third is four half steps or two whole steps.

polysynth fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Also that clock is vaguely like the one at St Louis Cathedral, which is about the only notable clock in the city.

e: Oh, and the wobbly background reminds me of cobblestone streets, which are fairly common in New Orleans.

e2: Image again for a new page.

Bea Nanner fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 2, 2013

Darryl Lict
Mar 17, 2009
Can anyone explain the Salt Lake City connection? I'm in Park City, UT and even though I probably won't wander around downtown SLC digging up poo poo, I'm definitely curious why it shows up on the map as a confident location.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I live in montreal and could spend an afternoon to check out areas if you've fond a spot to dig or test with a metal rod. one of the websites seemed tosay it might be at the base of a checkered sign, Am I looking at this wrong?

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
General, also New Orleans

Fistgrrl posted:

I don't get the countries either but the list is on the front page of the wiki: (scroll to Summary)

http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/22148559/FrontPage

Edit: okay I guess a lot of these countries were important sources of immigration for the cities (Milwaukee=Germany, New Orleans=France, St. Augustine=Spanish). Still not sure where they're getting them assigned from. Chicago's should've been Poland.
According to p. 10 of the New Orleans PDF:

quote:

Each image is associated with a country (France in this case) and a month, with its birthstone and birth flower [...] There's a verse in the introduction to the book which lists the countries and their associated gems:

Turquoise the Fays of France keep: stone
Rare as a blue midsummer day

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Cask 10 - Milwaukee

A little field recon with davey4283 this afternoon left us with more questions than answers but clues seem to point to the City Hall, Pabst Theater and Red Arrow Park.

In the City Hall, 92 steps takes you to a landing looking at the Pabst Theater and a large golden harp on the roof. The grand 200 is the number of steps to the top floor. The floor mosaic is a compass. The bell is cast from a mix of metals including copper and the roof towers are copper.

The Pabst Theater has designs similar to that on the neckpiece of the costume that the woman in the illustration is wearing and could be referred to with the verse about the woman and the harpsichord.

This is the view of City Hall from the northeast corner of Water & Kilbourn. Head a half block north and the view will be identical to that shown in the illustration.

This is looking north on Water Street, just north of Kilbourn. Red Arrow Park is on the right. The far trees are birch but the original configuration from the 1982 era is gone.

Possible things to investigate:
In the illustration, the woman is facing away from the back of City Hall and looking west. Is the gem and cask west of that point?

Where is the culvert below the bridge? That will be where we need to make the final walk to find the buried cask.

The last seven verses seem to refer to trees, possibly all birches. Is the "proud, tall fifth" another tree or something else?

Edit:
davey4283 looked a little bit around the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts across the street to the west and seemed to think there may be something there. Looking again at the picture, the gem is directly under a flower which seems to look like the Horsechestnut flower. The grove of trees at the Marcus Center are all Chestnut trees which are flowering right now...

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 2, 2013

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

Absolute Lithops posted:

General, also New Orleans
According to p. 10 of the New Orleans PDF:

Each image is associated with a country (France in this case) and a month, with its birthstone and birth flower [...] There's a verse in the introduction to the book which lists the countries and their associated gems:

Oh, that's good information to have. In that case, I think St. Louis over Montreal for #9 since St. Louis has a "Dutchtown." I think it was named after German immigrants though. Unless anyone can say Montreal has a Dutch population?

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
I think the map showing Salt Lake is a bit older before they had the cities (other than St Louis or Montreal) pinned down, I haven't read anything anywhere to suggest SLC is one of the cities now.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

SAN FRANCISCO

Repeating my comment from earlier today - I'm free all Sunday and can go to the park to investigate and take crummy smartphone pictures. However, I don't want to do this alone (not a great photographer or riddle figurer), so are there any other goons in the city that want to meet up? I need 90 min warning so I can get into the city on the ferry.

I have PMs if you don't want to discuss this in-thread.

(I also know a couple of other forum members who can vouch for my not being a creepy murderer.)

allta
Mar 28, 2011
Cask 7,New Orleans
Well the result of around 40 minutes in an image manipulator left me with a mess of jumbled static, so I'm taking that as my cue for it being too late and heading off to bed.

Summary posts tomorrow, and a to do list! so exciting!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Case 9, Montreal (possibly St. Lious.)

Okay, so operating on the assumption "Montreal" for image 9, I noticed this. Maybe I'm crazy and there is no match at all, and again I know hardly anything about Montreal.

And

The lines of the face around the nose and mouth stood out to me as a river line on a map, possibly noting an island in the center. Its not a perfect match, but its close. I didn't know what to do with the nose, other than noticing that when the eyes are blacked out, it looks like Bobba Fett's ship from Empire Strikes Back. I thought it might be a bridge or some such initially, but I have no idea and sort of took the liberty and tried to force it.

What I did find interesting though is the fact that someone made a connection, when arguing this picture depicts St. Lious, between the lapel pin/flag and a golf course. Looking at the map of Montreal, there does appear to be a golf course on this island. If it has been there since 1980, I have no idea, so it might just be a happy coincidence.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 2, 2013

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Fistgrrl posted:

Edit: okay I guess a lot of these countries were important sources of immigration for the cities (Milwaukee=Germany, New Orleans=France, St. Augustine=Spanish). Still not sure where they're getting them assigned from. Chicago's should've been Poland.

I don't think they're all immigration related though. Living in Cleveland, I think of Poles or Ukrainians, or even Italians, before I think of Greeks. AFAIK, there's no Greek town anywhere. Greek doesn't even make the ancestry percentage list of wikipedia's Greater Cleveland entry. There's a Greek fest in a suburb once a year, that's about it.

I'm so bummed the one here has already been found. I love poo poo like this.

Pepslexic
Jun 26, 2006
Nothing goes here

ruebennase posted:

Yeah, starting out at the UN, crossing via the Queens-Midtown Tunnel (the entrance to which is right at that heliport on FDR) could work.
That would take you to Vernon Blvd, "one branch of the V" could refer to a street crossing or branching off from Vernon.
There are a couple small parks west of Vernon and to the North of those is Roosevelt Island, which used to be called Blackwell Island.
Don't see an obvious connection to a rhapsodic man though.

Actually there are a couple of small parks near there. The rhapsodic man COULD (might be grasping at straws) be Louis Armstrong, who is buried in Queens, as is his "roots", his first home. He starred in a Movie "Rhapsody : Black and White"

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
Cask 1, San Francisco
I think the possible torii clue in (see the annotated pics on the first page) may give a hint about the cask's specific location. Even though torii are Japanese, not Chinese.

General
At the forum, the guy who found the Cleveland cask wrote:

quote:

Preiss was a very good poker player, and was not giving out any hints about any of the other locations. However, he did confirm my theory that the countries of origin of the faeries do connect with the sites.

Thanks to the forum, I've been able to gather all the country/continent verses here. The book's conceit is that the fairies of the world are entrusting these jewels to humankind (but only the humans in the US and maybe Canada, apparently).

Cask 1, China
"From far Cathay, the dragon's Pearl:
Chaste, perfect as the silver moon."
(Edit: I know pearls are traditionally associated with the moon, because of their appearance and their shared connection with water. But given the 11 moons in the image for this one, could this verse be another hint?)

Cask 2, Africa
"Africa's Diamond, earth-born star,
Bright harvest of the midnight rock."

Cask 3, England
"Fairies of England proudly bear
Garnet, crown-jewel of their Queen."

Cask 4, Greece (** found)
"The Nymphs of Hellas cherish sweet
Aquamarine, spring-water clear."

Cask 5, Ireland (** found)
"Brilliant as the eyes of Celtic folk,
Cold morning green, their Emerald."

Cask 6, Spain (I'm not sure how they ruled out Portugal.)
"The Hadas of Iberia:
Sapphire, shy as a wild field flower."
(Edit: I looked up "hadas." It's the Spanish word for "Fair Folk," while the direct cognate in Portuguese is "fadas.")

Cask 7, France
"Turquoise the Fays of France keep: stone
Rare as a blue midsummer's day."

Cask 8, Arabia (Saudi, I guess?)
"The Ruby out of Araby:
Scarlet of the desert sky at dawn."

Cask 9, Netherlands
"The Opal of the Lowland Gnomes:
A cloud of shining, shifting smoke."
(Edit: I think the image for this one deliberately references Rembrandt's paintings. It may be a general nod to the Netherlands, or it could mean something more specific)

Cask 10, Germany
"Dwarves' treasure: purple Amethyst,
Imperial star of Germany."

Cask 11, Italy
"Peridot of old Italy:
antique, and olivine, and rich."

Cask 12, Russia
"A Topaz is the Russian prize:
The royal sunstone, frozen fire."

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 2, 2013

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The "within a month" thing got me thinking. You've been looking at long-term, stable things like geography. But if it was intended to be a short-term contest? It's very possible that the verses are referencing events happening right when the book was written/published. Stuff we would never think of unless we found it in a newspaper from that short timespan.

Some Wolfram Alpha word-tools stacked on an Ngram search might pull these kinds of clues out.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I think you're going too deep. I think we need to look at the clues for both the solved ones, and see what they have in common. There was a book that came out when I was a bookseller, so 7 or 8 years ago, that did a similar thing, with jewelry hidden in parks. The big "ah ha!" moment for solving it came when someone realized that something on each of the pages matched up with various park trail maps. Each page also had a drawing of a tree, which was a sketch of the tree in which the treasure was hidden. While I'm not saying the clues are exactly the same style for each picture, knowing more about the other found one may be of great help.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Absolute Lithops posted:

Cask 5, Ireland (** found)
"Brilliant as the eyes of Celtic folk,
Cold morning green, their Emerald."

Well goddamnit. I had been working under the assumption that the Boston one (cask 11) was an emerald...there goes the connection to the Emerald Necklace. :(

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

Mescal posted:

The "within a month" thing got me thinking. You've been looking at long-term, stable things like geography. But if it was intended to be a short-term contest? It's very possible that the verses are referencing events happening right when the book was written/published. Stuff we would never think of unless we found it in a newspaper from that short timespan.

The full quote from the guy indicates that he was more afraid that the puzzles would be solved in a month than he really expected them to be. He was afraid of early victories because once all of the casks were found, the book's sales would theoretically plummet. So no, the guy probably hoped the contest would last for at least a year. I mean, honestly, he had to work with an illustrator on creating these mind-shattering picto-riddles and a team of writers to write the bulk of the book's contents, so it's not as if the book was published within a week of the casks being buried and the riddles being conceived. I highly doubt he worked immediate local news into the puzzles.

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

Domus posted:

I don't think they're all immigration related though. Living in Cleveland, I think of Poles or Ukrainians, or even Italians, before I think of Greeks. AFAIK, there's no Greek town anywhere. Greek doesn't even make the ancestry percentage list of wikipedia's Greater Cleveland entry. There's a Greek fest in a suburb once a year, that's about it.
They were listed as immigration countries on the old wiki, but I agree that they're not necessarily linked to immigration. At least not having many Greece-related spots in Cleveland made the cask easier to pin down. China for SF and France for New Orleans are, uh, kinda broad.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Dumb question but the OP mentioned the contents of the safe deposit box were auctioned off... what was in them?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Absolute Lithops posted:

They were listed as immigration countries on the old wiki, but I agree that they're not necessarily linked to immigration. At least not having many Greece-related spots in Cleveland made the cask easier to pin down. China for SF and France for New Orleans are, uh, kinda broad.

I think it's just a theme of each puzzle in some way. For example, the Russian aspect of the New York one seems to be symbolized by the onion-domed Russian Orthodox cathedral in silhouette, which links with the likely "rhapsodic man" - George Gershwin - who was born of Russian immigrant parents in the Brooklyn.

The relationship between the nationality and the puzzle seems a bit fluid. It's not the same in each one, and sometimes is rather subtle.

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

Mister Fister posted:

Dumb question but the OP mentioned the contents of the safe deposit box were auctioned off... what was in them?

The ceramic casks each have a key that you're supposed to be able to exchange for the gem. The gems were in the safety deposit box.

His liquidation of his estate was pretty interesting. I'll find the links I read earlier...

Edit: http://comicsbeat.com/byron-preiss-assets-on-the-block-for-150k/ His company owned some works from R. Crumb and GRRM...

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Absolute Lithops posted:

Cask 3, England
"Fairies of England proudly bear
Garnet, crown-jewel of their Queen."

Well, that cements the Elizabethian Gardens pretty well then, doesn't it? Dollars to donuts, it's there.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

LargeHadron posted:

Boston

Went out today to look for more clues, and I am feeling pretty good about this one being somewhere around the corner of Commonwealth and Clarendon.

If we read the riddle like this:

Walk north 5 blocks from the Boston Public Library in Copley Square ("Thucydides" and "Xenophon" as a previous poster pointed out)
Stop at the green lamppost ("A green tower of lights")
Not sure about "coliseum" but here I turned east and walked until I reached the block parallel to the John Hancock tower ("metal walls" maybe), which is the intersection of Commonwealth and Clarendon.
Right about here there are two adjacent apartment buildings, addresses 118 and 120 ("Eighteenth day/Twelfth hour", ignore the extra digits)
Stand with your back to the apartment buildings, facing north, and there is a red lamppost right in front of you ("Face the water/Your back to the stairs/Feel at home/.../Lit by lamplight")
Not sure about the "In truth, be free" line, but maybe has something to do with the statue in the same area. It claims the honored person was an "honest man".

The "All the letters" line also throws me off. I was hoping to see a mailbox in the area, but there isn't one. Maybe there was in 1982 though?

The illustration also seems to hint at this area.

See how all the large orbs are partially cut off, and all the small orbs are not? That looks pretty similar to the window design of the First Baptist Church, which is right next to apartments 118/120. The church might also be the castle-looking building on the box she's holding. Oh and my wife says the three windows at the top (big circle, two rectangles) resemble the overall shape of the illustration (woman + window).

Assuming this general area is correct, we still need to figure out exactly where to dig. I'm gonna have to read more about the casks that were already found to see how the finders were able to pinpoint a location. I imagine there are some important clues in the illustration that I'm not seeing.

I dunno, the Boston (assuming it's boston) one is really vexing me. The painting seems almost useless for detail, unless someone manages to match up some of the latticework or other patterns.

I figure the solved ones are some of the easier ones, but Cleveland and Chicago both had ridiculously easy imagery all over the place. Direct copies of stuff visible near the location, and the Chicago tower was barely hidden at all. It could be that the others are just harder, but man it seems like we got stuck with a really rough one.

I don't see any definitive answer for the castle looking buildings on Pandora's Box, and the clues really don't seem to make sense with your location. There could be more to it, and I'm just interpreting them wrong, but Copley is nowhere near the water.

The Colosseum is a better clue than people are giving it credit for. All I've seen are people trying to shoehorn various things in, but Harvard Stadium is seriously a Colosseum. The location I was at today fits the clues very well, and the park also fits the painting.

I'm weirdly confident that it's there. I feel like anyone who goes there will understand what I mean. PM me if you'd like to work together.

xie fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 2, 2013

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Case #9, Montreal (possibly St. Lious)

So I'm really starting to believe this is Montreal.

Looking at the outline of the building made by the collar of the shirt, and doing a quick google, I find myself wondering if this building isn't the Dome of Marie Reine du Monde pictured here:

It's close, shape wise, but not perfect.

Then the structure in the small circle, this is clearly something. Could it be the Montreal Biosphere pictured here?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

NYC: Cask #12

quote:

The location of this cask is thought to be New York
Verse 10
In the shadow
Of the grey giant
Find the arm that
Extends over the slender path
In summer
You'll often hear a whirring sound
Cars abound
Although the sign
Nearby
Speaks of Indies native
The natives still speak
Of him of Hard word in 3 Vols.
Take twice as many east steps as the hour
Or more
From the middle of one branch
Of the v
Look down
And see simple roots
In rhapsodic man's soil
Or gaze north
Toward the isle of B.
As you might have noticed in the verses there are several spelling errors, I figured they were important so I left them in, and I did my best to preserve the original spacing.

So I was looking at the UN building again as an option for our grey giant.

There happens to be an island right off the coast of the UN building's location.

This island, currently called U Thant Island, is legally named Belmont Island. Maybe our isle of B?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U_Thant_Island

Furthermore, there is an Arch on the island called the "Oneness Arch." I can not locate a date for it's construction, but it could be somewhere between 1977 and 1999. This is the best image I could find of it. The island is very small.

I'm hitting a wall here though.

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

I did not become a D'ni loyalist to make friends, and by the way? I haven't

wezyap posted:

I havent a lot to contribute with, but I have made a small application that implement the same algorithms as used in MRI scans to enhance subtile details (Median filter, Unsharpmask filter and Contrast Limited Adaptive Histogram Equalization), here is an example:

After

I've been thinking for a while that the cross shape--just left of the dangling figure's leg, on the left side of the picture--is very intentional. It's not a natural shape for a cracked stone. The pattern of cracks makes more sense without it, frankly.

Sesq posted:

The face of the clock is a series of concentric circles framed by a square. Jackson Square has the same layout. The flagpole interestingly lines up with the second hand on the clock, and might be the giant pole referred to in verse 7, but it seems too ordinary to be a landmark.

Could the little guy on the clock be swimming? Or could he represent the statue of Andrew Jackson somehow? I'd bet the bells represent important landmarks for the exact location.

Intuitively, this looks like Peter Pan. The animal head in the lower right is pretty clearly a wolf. Since you're already looking into the Municipal Auditorium, is there any connection between that building and "Peter and the Wolf"?

[edit]Actually I feel quite sure that's peter pan:
[/edit]

Devyl posted:

Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high

I haven't quite figured this part out. Maybe it has to do with the bells from the cathedral that ring.

"Ace is high" could refer to poker, blackjack, bridge, or any number of card games the names of which could be significant. I think you're really close bro, your clues are pretty promising

bagshotrow fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 2, 2013

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
San Francisco
I'm pretty sure this is/was in the City Hall plaza. If you look at the image and assume the large rectangle is Golden Gate Park, then the Pearl is located off in the direction of where City hall is.

Verse 6

Of all the romance retold
Men of tales and tunes
Cruel and bold

Reference to Opera? At say the San Francisco Opera House?

Seen here
By eyes of old

It's across the street from City Hall, the facade of which is covered in stone faces

Stand and listen to the birds
Hear the cool, clear song of water

Not positive, but this looks an awful lot like where a fountain used to be: http://goo.gl/maps/8VB7x

Harken to the words:
Freedom at the birth of a century

Lincoln reference(Lincoln statue on east side of City Hall)

Or May 1913

The new City hall was started in May 1913 after the old one was destroyed in the 1906 quake

Edwin and Edwina named after him

John Wilkes Booth reference? Points back to Lincoln and Opera House

Or on the eighth a scene
Where law defended
Between two arms extended

Treaty of San Francisco signed (Arms extended being a handshake?) at the War Memorial Opera house (with Japan, if you need more Asia references)
edit: On September 8th

Below the bar that binds
I'm guessing this is a reference to the flag poles in the City Hall plaza (binding nations, states, etc)

Beside the long palm's shadow

There is a long line of trees along what looks to be a sand pit in the plaza. Maybe they used to be palm trees? Maybe one of them looked particularly sad.

Embedded in the sand

Did I mention the sand pit?

Waits the Fair remuneration
White house close at hand.

Figurative reference to the City Hall, being the capital of San Francisco?

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
Actually now that I've written it down it seems like the Opera house courtyard is a pretty strong bet too, but all the Lincoln stuff led me over to the other side of City Hall

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.
Which one could be Colorado? I am on the hunt if one actually points to Colorado. Also, Devyl, "ace is high" seems like a poker reference as he was an avid poker player. If there were any places were major poker games were played that could be something.

Mbwuto
Dec 1, 2006
I just stumbled onto this thread, but is it possible the Houston image is more or less a literal map? Each pillar representing a sort of landmark you could see with the star orienting you into the proper perspective. One starts at the 982, which is a train, following it through a wooded area. It seems a fountain will be encountered and should be crossed while keeping your perspective in line which I think refers back to the picture itself.

I think you also use the brightest star in the December sky to orient yourself. Whatever object has that star overhead while still maintaining the perspective that puts the zoo exhibits into the right places. And from where the treasure is you can still see the fountain and probably the train. I think the whole thing relies on a perspective that doesn't necessarily make it in the zoo, but uses the zoo as a landmark that you might be able to easily observe from the cask site. I think it was originally buried between four trees, three of which were in poor health possibly.

I'm a little worried using satellite maps is problematic because he would have written these for people with access to only what he had at the time himself. It's why I'm not completely convinced the ball topped tower is that fountain because he would have had to either access a map or some kind of aerial photo which wasn't as easy of a feat then.

Pepslexic
Jun 26, 2006
Nothing goes here

Kingnothing posted:

NYC: Cask #12

So I was looking at the UN building again as an option for our grey giant.

There happens to be an island right off the coast of the UN building's location.

This island, currently called U Thant Island, is legally named Belmont Island. Maybe our isle of B?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U_Thant_Island

Furthermore, there is an Arch on the island called the "Oneness Arch." I can not locate a date for it's construction, but it could be somewhere between 1977 and 1999. This is the best image I could find of it. The island is very small.

I'm hitting a wall here though.

Saddly Belmont Island has been a protected bird sanctuary for a number of years. Would be fairly improbably also due to its size.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Mr. Toodles posted:

Also, Devyl, "ace is high" seems like a poker reference as he was an avid poker player. If there were any places were major poker games were played that could be something.

My fear is that one or more of these verses were based on a store, shop, bar, etc. because in the French Quarter businesses open and close on what seems like an almost daily basis. There's only a few that I can think of that have been there for more than 10 years.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Pepslexic posted:

Saddly Belmont Island has been a protected bird sanctuary for a number of years. Would be fairly improbably also due to its size.

But the verse doesn't say it's on the isle of B. It just says that if you look north, you'll see the isle of B. If we look south from B then, it could be the very westernmost tip of Queens, or possible one of the parks along the East River in Brooklyn?

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

CronoGamer posted:

But the verse doesn't say it's on the isle of B. It just says that if you look north, you'll see the isle of B. If we look south from B then, it could be the very westernmost tip of Queens, or possible one of the parks along the East River in Brooklyn?

The only green space I can see that would be South-ish of U Thant Island is a small space in the Hunter's Point area, just south of the East River Ferry.

Earliest aerial I could bring up of the area was in '94 though.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

The Adama posted:

Cask 7

Here we go.

And the street view of where the end of the mask handle terminates.

Running north, but first across

Giant pole
Giant step
To the place
The casque is kept.

From that pole, walk two steps towards the "V" cut in the lake shore. Though I also agree the two flowers(?) or bells in the top corner's of the clock are significant.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
Is there a spot that at some point during the day you can hear two sets of church bells?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
New Orleans
Where would the shadow of that green pole be at midday (when else would Church Bells ring?) in December (is there a day in December that has bell's ringing, or flowers are significant)?

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

I live in uptown New Orleans, so it wouldn't be too hard for me to go check out the spot. Also anyone interested in the New orleans cask go read my post on page 2. It solidifies that it's in Armstrong park in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Cask 12

There's a pretty famous restaurant in NYC called the Russian Tea Room, and it's pretty close to Central Park. Maybe it's a starting place>

EDIT: It doesn't really seem to match up with anything else that we've figured out, though.

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 2, 2013