Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

kingturnip posted:

This morning, in the 8 minutes it took between my checking the Greater Anglia website to see if my train was running on time (it was) and walking to the station, my train was cancelled.
3 stops and 14 minutes up the line.

I don't mind trains getting cancelled if there's a genuine reason for it (debris on the line, a broken-down train), but if other trains are happily speeding down the line, there is no problem.
I'm convinced it's a financial decision where cancelling a train results in a smaller fine than having subsequent services run late.

I dunno, a combination of there only being a train every 30 minutes and the loving Stansted Express being a priority service means my station is pretty low on the priority list.
And, having glanced at the Office of Rail Regulation's reports, it looks like the West Anglia route performance statistics are noticeably lower when Stansted Express services aren't counted.

You are quite correct, it is cheaper for a TOC to cancel a train than it is to incur the knock on delays of late running...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

kingturnip posted:

This morning, in the 8 minutes it took between my checking the Greater Anglia website to see if my train was running on time (it was) and walking to the station, my train was cancelled.
3 stops and 14 minutes up the line.

I don't mind trains getting cancelled if there's a genuine reason for it (debris on the line, a broken-down train), but if other trains are happily speeding down the line, there is no problem.
I'm convinced it's a financial decision where cancelling a train results in a smaller fine than having subsequent services run late.

I dunno, a combination of there only being a train every 30 minutes and the loving Stansted Express being a priority service means my station is pretty low on the priority list.
And, having glanced at the Office of Rail Regulation's reports, it looks like the West Anglia route performance statistics are noticeably lower when Stansted Express services aren't counted.

You might have better luck with http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/. It uses some other data source that apparently the TOCs don't bother displaying.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

In case anyone in Trainchatland hasn't seen it, Ian Hislop's doco about the Beeching axe is back on iPlayer until Monday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00drtpj/Ian_Hislop_Goes_off_the_Rails/

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

All Too Much For Me posted:

You might have better luck with http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/. It uses some other data source that apparently the TOCs don't bother displaying.

Thanks for this.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
So it looks like the Crossrail 2 consultation has started.

I'll admit, I'm curious. Are there really that many people who travel between South-West and North-East London to make this worthwhile?
The Metro plan looks reasonably inoffensive, but I do wonder whether the people of Chelsea are really all that desperate for a rail station.

The Regional plan can gently caress right off, though, unless they plan on building new track along the West Anglia route. There's barely time to fart between trains as it is.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

So it looks like the Crossrail 2 consultation has started.

I'll admit, I'm curious. Are there really that many people who travel between South-West and North-East London to make this worthwhile?
The Metro plan looks reasonably inoffensive, but I do wonder whether the people of Chelsea are really all that desperate for a rail station.

The Regional plan can gently caress right off, though, unless they plan on building new track along the West Anglia route. There's barely time to fart between trains as it is.

North-east London is underserved by existing tube lines and has a lot of commuters into the centre of town. The south-west part is more about relieving pressure on services into Waterloo and Victoria than filling in a gap though. I'd have though it would have made more sense to go south-east and try to alleviate the ridiculous problems on trains into London Bridge, but that's been mooted for CR3 (or another expansion of the Overground onto freight lines heading towards Dover).

Of course this is again something that was first planned in the sixties and would have cost ten times less to do then (even accounting for inflation) but I suppose you can't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

kingturnip posted:

Pretty sure the idea would be to replace some of the existing local services with equivalent Crossrail 2 services continuing into London. Isn't that what they're doing with Crossrail 1?

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Jonnty posted:

Pretty sure the idea would be to replace some of the existing local services with equivalent Crossrail 2 services continuing into London. Isn't that what they're doing with Crossrail 1?

Quite correct, Crossrail replaces a large majority of the local services between Maidenhead and Paddington (and Shenfield and Liverpool St but that's the GE and who cares?), and would actually replace the entire local stopping service into Pad if someone had made the less stupid decision to run the thing to Reading.

As it is, I've just spent four years redesigning the Maidenhead Station signalling (due for approval for construction next week!) for gently caress all reason other than "er, can't quite afford that last 10 miles of OLE".

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Bozza posted:

As it is, I've just spent four years redesigning the Maidenhead Station signalling (due for approval for construction next week!) for gently caress all reason other than "er, can't quite afford that last 10 miles of OLE".

Does the result cost more or less than the missing OHLE?

I'd be unsurprised if it's more...

kingturnip posted:

I'm lucky enough to live at one of the larger stations along there, and can often hop on a Stansted Express for a portion of my journey. Unfortunately, it's countered by the fact that I need to get down to Silvertown, which means I need to go to Stratford (or fork out an additional grand-ish a year to go through zone 1, which I definitely can't afford). And Stratford trains are less frequent, and are almost entirely slow services.

Brovine fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 16, 2013

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Brovine posted:

Most of the cost will probably be borne by the TOC. I assume that cost must be taken into account when considering what to do, right Bozza? Although I can imagine it's not seen as important now they're not the same people.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Anything to add transport links to Kingston is a good idea. Bloody pain getting there on the bus.

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater

Brovine posted:

Well the OHLE is now being built anyway as part of the larger GWML electrification, but this way Crossrail doesn't have to pay for electrifying the complicated layout at Reading.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

As I was heading into London this morning on the Jubilee line, at Neasden Depot I saw 2 Class 20 Diesels in pristine BR Blue :3:

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Gat posted:

Well the OHLE is now being built anyway as part of the larger GWML electrification, but this way Crossrail doesn't have to pay for electrifying the complicated layout at Reading.

This is true. Also TfL are apparently not too happy about funding trains as far as Maidenhead anyway, so Reading would be right out. Politics.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Will the Maidenhead - Marlow branch at least be a little quicker? Last time I took it it felt like walking would have been quicker.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

Will the Maidenhead - Marlow branch at least be a little quicker? Last time I took it it felt like walking would have been quicker.

No cos gently caress Theresa May.

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

pointsofdata posted:

Down near Barry Island you can play 'Chase the Express' by getting off at one station and trying to make it to the next before the train does. I don't think anyone's ever failed.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Good work, Bozza http://www.getwokingham.co.uk/news/s/2134119_theresa_may_disappointed_with_ugly_woodley_railway_bridge

quote:

Theresa May disappointed with "ugly" Woodley railway bridge
By Jon Nurse May 15, 2013
Disappointment surrounding an ‘ugly’ new railway bridge has been forwarded to rail officials by Theresa May MP.

Duffield Road bridge was re-opened last month after six months of work to increase its clearance for the electrification of the line, but upset residents turned to the Twyford MP with complaints that the metal bridge was ugly.

The Home Secretary met senior Network Rail officials to discuss improvements to the Great Western route when she raised people’s concerns that new bridges appearing in the ongoing work are “ugly”.

Mrs May said: “I understand that some of the existing bridges need to be replaced in order to make way for electrification of the line, but the new bridges need to be in keeping with the local area and not eyesores like the one in Duffield Road.”

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

So where's a picture of this ugly bridge?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Jeoh posted:

So where's a picture of this ugly bridge?

Yeah, I knew local journalism was going to poo poo but come on...

In other news, there's been a "sequel" of sorts made to brilliant BBC documentary The Tube: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01sjtzw/The_Tube_An_Underground_History/

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Jonnty posted:

Yeah, I knew local journalism was going to poo poo but come on...

In other news, there's been a "sequel" of sorts made to brilliant BBC documentary The Tube: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01sjtzw/The_Tube_An_Underground_History/

Is that just a one of thing or is it an actual series?

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater
There is meant to be an actual second series during the summer, I think.

nozz fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 17, 2013

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Gat posted:

There is meant to be an actual second series during the summer, I think.

Really? Wooo! I had resigned myself to it just being a one-off for the Olympics.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Jonnty posted:

Just finished watching that myself; it wasn't bad.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Brovine posted:

Just finished watching that myself; it wasn't bad.

Yep - loved the brilliant Scottish stationmaster and the return of that driver who gave all the tube lines personalities.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Bozza posted:

No cos gently caress Theresa May.

I thank you.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

I can't find a pic of the new bridge, but Network Rail let a local 9 year old cut the red tape on it :3:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/news/2013/apr/Duffiled-Road-railway-bridge-opened-by-Archie-Snell-aged-9/

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Well I found the old bridge on streetview and I have to say it really did rival the Millau Viaduct and the Golden Gate bridge in aesthetic terms:

The only person who I imagine really is annoyed about it is the bloke on streetview taking pictures of the trains - the new bridge looks much taller in the network rail article.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Bozza/others: Any idea what particular work they've been doing on the West Anglia the last few weekends? Cheshunt-Tottenham-Stratford/Liverpool Street seems to be closed most weekends at the moment. Just maintenance, or something else?

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater

Brovine posted:

Bozza/others: Any idea what particular work they've been doing on the West Anglia the last few weekends? Cheshunt-Tottenham-Stratford/Liverpool Street seems to be closed most weekends at the moment. Just maintenance, or something else?

I think its renewing the overhead lines.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gat posted:

I think its renewing the overhead lines.

I think at Stratford they're also messing about with the interchange between HS1 and the North London Line and the Great Eastern for freight services (although that work might have finished a while ago).

They're also meant to be revamping the old Bow Junction, that runs down to meet up with the London-Tilbury-Southend line near Limehouse station, to allow trains to divert into Fenchurch Street (and LTS trains to Liverpool Street) when needed, but local residents are getting all NIMBY about even the one or two trains a day that currently run down it.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

JingleBells posted:

The only person who I imagine really is annoyed about it is the bloke on streetview taking pictures of the trains - the new bridge looks much taller in the network rail article.

You have higher parapets if the lines are electrified to prevent people dangling things into the wires, and also because modern bridges have to be able to stop people driving through the parapet
That kid is going to need a stepladder

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Brovine posted:

It looks like 'maintenance' for the weekend coming on West Anglia, with 'track renewal' scheduled for the weekend of the 1st/2nd June, while Overhead Lines are the thing this weekend from Stratford-Liverpool St.
http://www.greateranglia.co.uk/travel-information/journey-planning/service-alterations

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Stratford - Liverpool St is in the Crossrail area so it might be to do with that. It's off district for me so can't give you a proper answer, sorry.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Bozza posted:

Stratford - Liverpool St is in the Crossrail area so it might be to do with that. It's off district for me so can't give you a proper answer, sorry.

No worries, thought it was worth a shot!

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Much fun on the way home today. Points failure on the north side of Stratford, so nothing could leave northbound from platform 11, which on the plus side meant I didn't miss an earlier train because it was delayed a little. Then the train out of Tottenham had a hell of a lot of smoke start coming out of the heating system, which appeared to be going full blast as well, so that was failed at Harlow.

And yet I still got home earlier than if I'd been on the train I expected out of Stratford. Oh well, not everything ends badly!

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Rumour mill is turning and looks like Crossrail is going to Reading.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Bit off topic but here's a twitter account that may provide everyone with a few laughs:

https://twitter.com/TlfTravelAlerts

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Hezzy posted:

Bit off topic but here's a twitter account that may provide everyone with a few laughs:

https://twitter.com/TlfTravelAlerts

I do love this account, but it does mean that I read things like "Delays due to a person under a train at Streatham" on the Southern feed and think "how is that funny?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Bozza posted:

Rumour mill is turning and looks like Crossrail is going to Reading.

Policy wise would that be a 360 u-turn, or now up to 540?

Not that I don't believe you, but it'd seem odd to give TfL the route out to Reading, while at the same time all the rumours are DfT have turned against Johnson's demand for taking control of various other commuter routes to the surrounding counties.

• Locked thread