Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Why the gently caress is Nintendo headquartered here? They never do anything cool in Washington :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I love how there's absolutely no chatter about anything interesting on the WiiU after all this time since release.

We're talking about purchasing 20 year old games again, a launch title and just absolutely nothing else.

I can't wait to hear what E3 has in store - the sad thing is I'm keeping this system for only a few games - things loving dustay

Lots of people talking about Monster Hunter, Lego City, ZombiU, Scribblenauts, Sonic, and a few others. The games library is still very dry so don't misunderstand me but the way you just described it is quite an exaggeration when it really doesn't need to be.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 31, 2013

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Handsome Ralph posted:

So Nintendo is definitely doing a cross country promotional tour type deal.
https://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/events/tour

Wow setting up shop at Disney Land in Summer, that's probably the smartest thing I've ever seen from Nintendo.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

AlmightyBob posted:

Why the gently caress is Nintendo headquartered here? They never do anything cool in Washington :mad:

Didn't the Mariner's stadium used to have game kiosks or something?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Handsome Ralph posted:

Didn't the Mariner's stadium used to have game kiosks or something?

Nintendo of America owns them and they've done a number of things. Particularly of which, having AP's around the stadium for users with DS's to access game stats and what not.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/19917562/ns/technology_and_science-games/t/seattle-fans-can-take-ds-out-ballgame/#.Uakn9EDVB8E

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/22/seattle-mariners-in-stadium-ds-service-goes-free/

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 31, 2013

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Nintendo of America owns them and they've done a number of things. Particularly of which, having AP's around the stadium for users with DS's to access game stats and what not.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/19917562/ns/technology_and_science-games/t/seattle-fans-can-take-ds-out-ballgame/#.Uakn9EDVB8E

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/22/seattle-mariners-in-stadium-ds-service-goes-free/

I knew that (I remember when the whole discussion of them buying into the ownership began and you saw some people throw an absolute shitfit at the idea of a Japanese company owning an American Baseball team), I was just trying to think of an example of something cool they did in Seattle/Washington.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
There's definitely a lot they can do with the Zombi U formula. It doesn't even have to be zombies. I'd like to see something along the lines of The Hills Have Eyes, but in the woods. Instead of being directed by someone like the prepper, you'd be communicating over walkie-talkie with your friends who are also going through this camping trip gone bad.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Crowbear posted:

They're remaking Castle of Illusion too (well, they're letting Sega remake it). Not coming to the Wii U though.

Well, Sega did develop the original so naturally they would be the ones remaking it. Too bad its not coming to the Wii U though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Handsome Ralph posted:

I knew that (I remember when the whole discussion of them buying into the ownership began and you saw some people throw an absolute shitfit at the idea of a Japanese company owning an American Baseball team), I was just trying to think of an example of something cool they did in Seattle/Washington.

Hmmm, nothing I can recall. All the big stuff has happened in SoCal (E3, Concert tours), New York (Nintendo World Store) and Florida (Nintendo World Championships).

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Dunno if anyone's posted this yet, but Nintendo put up their E3 site: http://e3.nintendo.com/

Sounds like they'll be putting up a bunch of video there throughout E3. If you check the calendar it shows that the E3 Direct is planned to be an hour long.

Also, the page currently has a bunch of silhouettes from games they'll presumably be showing. Most of them aren't surprising (Mario, WW Link, Mario and Luigi from Deam Team, a bunch of Pikmin, Luigi riding Yoshi), but one was very mysterious until Hideki Kamiya helpfully revealed its secret.

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/340821769982181377

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
The guy from Wonderful 101?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

what's even more interesting about Kamiya's twitter is this tweet about Bayonetta 2:

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/340818560697913345

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

what's even more interesting about Kamiya's twitter is this tweet about Bayonetta 2:

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/340818560697913345

"Next week in ____" is Kamiya's running joke when people ask about this kind of thing.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The guy from Wonderful 101?

Nah, its the lead character for his new Dog Ninja With Throwing Stars simulator.

Hopefully they mo-capped a dog for it to keep up with other next-gen games.

Supercar Gautier posted:

"Next week in ____" is Kamiya's running joke when people ask about this kind of thing.

This one might actually be true though :v: At least I hope it is. Haven't heard anything about Bayo 2 in a while.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
It will be revealed that speedrunning the game will let you see Bayonette in a hair bikini.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm just realizing that they had a missed opportunity with putting Bayonetta as an exclusive character to the Wii U version of Sonic Racing Transformed.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm just realizing that they had a missed opportunity with putting Bayonetta as an exclusive character to the Wii U version of Sonic Racing Transformed.

Don't worry, maybe she'll be in Smash Bros along with Joe Musashi.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Don't worry, maybe she'll be in Smash Bros along with Joe Musashi.

What do you suppose the odds are of Nintendo giving ongoing DLC with characters and stages after Smash Bros. 4 is released? My friend thinks they just won't bother with that at all, but I feel like the game could really benefit re-playability wise by adding in DLC and it would be an awful missed opportunity. Because the Smash Bros dude said that they weren't increasing the size of the roster in the next one which concerns me already, but to not have ongoing DLC adding in new characters and stages would just be a waste.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just scored a mint condition copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy "for PS2" for $2 :cool: God bless Craigslist.

This post has no purpose, but I needed someone to brag to because none of my friends give a poo poo about games.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Macaluso posted:

What do you suppose the odds are of Nintendo giving ongoing DLC with characters and stages after Smash Bros. 4 is released? My friend thinks they just won't bother with that at all, but I feel like the game could really benefit re-playability wise by adding in DLC and it would be an awful missed opportunity. Because the Smash Bros dude said that they weren't increasing the size of the roster in the next one which concerns me already, but to not have ongoing DLC adding in new characters and stages would just be a waste.

Considering Namco is going to be with Sakurai on this, they'll probably have him consider it, at the very least we could get alternate costume dlc.

Gimmie Funky Kong DK and Sportswear Peach Sakurai!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

NESguerilla posted:

Just scored a mint condition copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy "for PS2" for $2 :cool: God bless Craigslist.

This post has no purpose, but I needed someone to brag to because none of my friends give a poo poo about games.

That's pretty awesome. There was a goon selling sealed copies for 150 bucks the other day in SA-Mart.

I'm glad I bought mine at launch, though I kinda wish they left an option to use GC controls if you wanted to.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

NESguerilla posted:

I'm imagining a weird-rear end Chinese bootleg Metroid game printed on a PS2 disc, and it's magical.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

NESguerilla posted:

I wanna be you so bad. I couldn't get the trilogy when it came out (good long bout of unemployment that had me selling off my 360 and certain games I could get money for like my Prime 3 copy) but had confidence that i'd be able to get it when poo poo picked up... drat YOU SUPER FUN UNOBTAINABLE GAME!

Eh, still have my GC copies of Prime 1 and 2, I just wanna play them with pointyness.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

So I got a Buy 2 Videogames Get 1 coupon and a Buy 2 Videogames get 30% coupons at Target today. Does anyone know if I can use either of those on system accessories as well? I need new Wiimotes.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Nintendo's potential "ace-in-the-hole" for the Wii U is a super-secret title being developed by Retro Studios.

I have never seen anything like this. Retro has not released anything since 2010, yet we know absoutely NOTHING about what's next. The only reason we know that there's something is Reggie Fils-Aime saying so once or twice.

Of course the secrecy helps, but people are really hyped because of Retro Studios' track record. They've made not only a critically-acclaimed Metroid FPS trilogy, but they've proved competent with 2D platforming as well with Donkey Kong Country Returns. That kind of flexibility is giving people some hope that they might carry the torch of the late, lamented Rareware.

Anyone got any other examples of a game remaining secret for this long? :confused:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Anyone got any other examples of a game remaining secret for this long? :confused:

Starcraft 2. Nobody had even the slightest clue it existed in any way shape or form, and then suddenly bam, a pretty far along Starcraft 2.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Maybe Nintendo bought the Banjo-Kazooie license from Rare and Retro is making the game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clearly Nintendo's big surprise will be that Half-Life 3 is coming exclusively to the WiiU.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Gordan Wiiman.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Gutcruncher posted:

Starcraft 2. Nobody had even the slightest clue it existed in any way shape or form, and then suddenly bam, a pretty far along Starcraft 2.

So what you're saying is Retro bought the rights to Starcraft: Ghost, and it's WiiU exclusive?

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
The interesting thing about the Retro game is that they have said that it's "something that people have wanted them to make", or something along those lines. So who knows.

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

Maybe Nintendo bought the Banjo-Kazooie license from Rare and Retro is making the game?

I dream of this every time I remember Retro is making a game, and Banjo-Threeie by Retro would be a game that "a lot of people have wanted", but it's not going to happen. MS isn't going to sell the IP, if only for the fact that Nintendo would benefit from getting the IP back.

Could be Star Fox, or maybe some franchise that has completely hibernated for a while.

A new Diddy Kong Racing could be cool, but kind of redundant with Mario Kart U releasing this year.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

That Star Tropics U rumor from a few weeks back sounded pretty interesting.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fabulous Knight posted:

The interesting thing about the Retro game is that they have said that it's "something that people have wanted them to make", or something along those lines. So who knows.

That quote turned out to be a complete fabrication.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That quote turned out to be a complete fabrication.

Oh. Fart.

Well obviously they are working on the new 3D Mario then :(

DK64 II would be justice.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ice Climbers 3D would be just ice.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Killer Instinct: Urban Champions

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Killer Instinct: Urban Champions
If we're gonna use names they can't use cause Rare/MS, I'm pitching this again:

Blast Corps: Wrecking Crew

(alternatively, "Destruction Team" :effort:, I guess Smash Bros could've worked if that wasn't already taken...unless it's a Smash spinoff!)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fabulous Knight posted:

Even if this were true it would be a useless statement. It's Retro. With their track record we want to give every game license to them just to see what they do with it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't know how likely it is but I'm hoping it's a new F-Zero. An F-Zero game in this generation means it could actually have online play which would pretty much be the greatest thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I suspect it will be some kind of platformer, rpg, adventure, or other kind of open world type gameplay. Nintendo has been using the same game engine, modified, for most of their flagship games now since Pikmin 1. I think Retro is supposed to have been instrumental in developing a new wide-ranging game engine Nintendo will start to use in other franchises.

• Locked thread