Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Inside Outside posted:

My favorite OOTP story was when Zack Cozart went on the DL because he hurt his shoulder chopping firewood in the middle of July. A couple of weeks later I got another news story where he admitted that the story was a lie to cover up his extramarital affair.
I once had a game where Kevin Millar came back from chopping off all the fingers of his left hand in an incident with a lawnmower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Moe_Rahn posted:

I once had a game where Kevin Millar came back from chopping off all the fingers of his left hand in an incident with a lawnmower.

I had that one in 13, was hilarious.

Also had one where a 24 year old pretty good prospect for the dodgers had a career ender because he fell off his roof and broke his back

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Moe_Rahn posted:

Justin Smoak missed a week after tripping over a table in his hotel room, and I laughed my rear end off.

Then Brett Gardner had a career-ending HBP in the head.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Justin Smoak missed a week after tripping over a table in his hotel room, and I laughed my rear end off.

Then Brett Gardner had a career-ending HBP in the head.

On an online league Orioles team I took over, I realized after a couple months Adam Jones was nowhere to be found even though I still had Wieters, Markakis, and Tillman, and a few other present-day Orioles. When I loooked him up, he had retired due to a CEI after running into a wall and cracking his skull. :smithicide:

Cold Sprunk
Apr 11, 2009
Which one of the sims has the easiest or most user friendly interface/in game management (bunting, stealing, pinch hitters, ect.)? I tried OOTP 13 last year and it just didn't do it for me.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I haven't played a version of Baseball Mogul in 5 or so years but the interface is ridiculously easy and simple, especially compared to OOTP

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I have a 39 year old closer on a CPU in my solo league (reserve clause) going strong with 8/7/9 ratings. He's 6'6' 250 lbs, and was found in Japan as a 19 year old and broke into the majors 2 years later. He just got injured for six months, which will probably end his career. How you ask? Torn meniscus.

While tying his shoes.

Killemall1057
Dec 14, 2006

Lance Berkman hitting all the home runs...

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

You have got to go in the settings and change his name to Launch Ballman at this point.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is it possible to do a fantasy draft with the default rosters? Whenever I go to create a league to do it it creates fictional characters and when I try to do it in a regular game I can't find the options.

Also how do I put historical players in the draft?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Is it possible to do a fantasy draft with the default rosters? Whenever I go to create a league to do it it creates fictional characters and when I try to do it in a regular game I can't find the options.

Also how do I put historical players in the draft?

Just create a current or fictional game and then go to League Setup -> Functions -> Release all players and schedule fantasy draft (It's in the left column of functions). I also recommend people try starting a game with random players from all eras which can be fun. Create a historical league, pick your year and then select "Use random players..." to get players from different eras into the game (every draft will include a new set of historical players to add).

To import historical players, go to the free agent screen, click on the "Import Historical Player" button at the bottom of the screen (you may need to be in commissioner mode to do this) then select "historical_database.odb" (for me it was in C:\Users\[my username]\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 14\stats), then use the player's baseball-reference page to find their unique id. I'm under the impression that OOTP dials back players' talents when they are imported as historical players, but I haven't done it enough to confirm this.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 10, 2013

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I just picked up Baseball Mogul 2014 (why is it 14?). Is it just me or is the edit player option really weird? For example, it lets you directly change a hitter's contact and power ratings vs. LHP, but to change it against righties you have to edit their predicted stats. Am I missing something?

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

Sweet lord! A question to which I actually have the answer!

Your ratings are overall, but they aren't your vRHP ratings. Your vLHP plays into your overall rating, because when you set your vLHP it generated a vRHP to get you to your overall rating.

If you have 90 contact overall, but have vLHP set to 100, your vRHP is going to be blow 90, but presumably not all the way down at 80 (should be weighted, but I can't say for sure or at what weight).

smuggler fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 26, 2013

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

OOTP 14 is really good. Haven't noticed any glaring bugs and the player development emails are a huge improvement even though it seems minor.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I got OOTP14 because I really do want to get into Baseball, the statistcs and slow pace appeal to my Cricket brain, but holy crap.. This must be like sitting an American down in front of Football Manager or something. Cripes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think Football Manager is a little more in depth in terms of players (more abilities) but yeah that's probably pretty accurate, given my experience with it.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 2, 2013

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Having played both for many more hours than I should've, FM is a little more mature and deep than OOTP but I find them similarly rewarding. I definitely haven't played any other sims that come close to the two of them.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I'm really looking forward to getting into OOTP, I know the feeling of having spent way too much time on FM when I could have been doing, well, something productive.

Incidentally, my original post wasn't meant to be derogatory towards anyone at all, I hope no one read it like that, it was the best comparison I could think of in terms of sport management life-stealers.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

6EQUJ5 posted:

I got OOTP14 because I really do want to get into Baseball, the statistcs and slow pace appeal to my Cricket brain, but holy crap.. This must be like sitting an American down in front of Football Manager or something. Cripes.

When I first starting playing OOTP several years ago, I was amazed at how poor my understanding was in regards to roster rules in MLB. OOTP isn't perfect in this regard (especially when it comes to setting playoff rosters as some people I play with have recently discovered) but it gets the basics right.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just won the World Series in an OOTP online league (that some of you are also in) by using the Colorado Rockies approach to pitching (4 man rotation, strict pitch counts) and having a MR pitch in 45 games and DH in 95 :v: (he has a 7/6/10/7/5 split against righties)

OOTP is the greatest.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
This might be interesting to some of you guys. SmasherDynamo runs a participatory LP of BM2013 where you make teams from a pool of historical feeder teams and then enter them in a very tough online league. Sign ups are open for the 11th season here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3557462

and we've put together our own little version of baseball reference here: http://goonbcs.tk/superleague/

It's pretty good fun because of Smasher's writing, some good pennant races, villainous owners, and the endless rage and frustration that comes from Steve Carlton deciding that he's going to break down and post of WHIP of 1.565

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Would anyone be interested in seeing a Let's Play for a team in an online league in OOTP? I wouldn't be able to post things like trade negotiations but I could crowd-source things like team building strategies, who to call-up when injuries or other things happen, and ingame strategies since OOTP 14 allows you to set your bullpen and pinch-hitting priorities. This is something I could potential do in the late summer/fall if it's something people would be interesting in following or even participating in a little. I obviously can't do anything like putting goon names in or customizing players.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
yes

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I'd love to see that.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

What I'm thinking for the LP thread is I've just picked up a new team in a new league. The league is a fictional promotion/relegation league in present day Great Britain (but all players become fictional pretty quickly in OOTP if you think about it). I will handle the team through most of the first season on my own just to get the team settled since it's going to be chaos at the start and I'll need to be able to make decisions pretty quickly.

Sometime in the closing month or so of the season, I'll open up the thread for discussion/planning (seasons are only 84 games in this league and there's a Cup at the end). So far, we're almost through the inaugural draft and should be simming games in the upcoming weeks. Goons with OOTP 14 might be able to follow along via league files but the league also uses online reports and I'll post updates in the LP thread once it gets going. Here's to something that will hopefully be interesting :science:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm actually planning on doing a Be a Pro thing in OOTP14 like Hockles is doing once his thread starts winding down, as well.

I might do a real world LP after that if I don't think the workload will be too much.

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm actually planning on doing a Be a Pro thing in OOTP14 like Hockles is doing once his thread starts winding down, as well.

I might do a real world LP after that if I don't think the workload will be too much.

That will be a lot easier to do than Be-A-Pro video games with screen shots and all that. Sounds like fun!

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
So, I'm playing a game in my solo fictional league, and the team I'm playing against scores a run in the top of the 10th. I load the bases in the bottom of the inning, bring one run across, and well...

quote:

BOTTOM OF THE 10TH
Pittsburgh Union batting - Pitching for Buffalo Crunch : RHP Roberto Sánchez
Batting: LHB Steve Manning 0-0: Ball
1-0: Called Strike
1-1: Ball
2-1: Called Strike
2-2: Foul Ball, location: 7LSF
2-2: Ball
3-2: Base on Balls

Batting: SHB Josh Etheridge 0-0: Ball
1-0: Foul Ball, location: 2F
1-1: Foul Ball, location: 7LSF
1-2: Ball
2-2: Ball
3-2: Base on Balls
Steve Manning to second

Batting: LHB Dave Brown 0-0: Ball
1-0: SINGLE (Groundball, 34)
Steve Manning to third
Josh Etheridge to second

Batting: LHB Robby Cook 0-0: Ball
1-0: Called Strike
1-1: Swinging Strike
1-2: Ball
2-2: Foul Ball, location: 2F
2-2: Foul Ball, location: 5DF
2-2: SINGLE (Line Drive, 8LS)
Steve Manning scores
Josh Etheridge to third
Dave Brown to second

Batting: LHB Ron Henderson 0-0: Ball
1-0: Foul Ball, location: 5F
1-1: Called Strike
1-2: Foul Ball, location: 2F
1-2: Lines into TRIPLE play, 4-3 (Line Drive, 4)
Bottom of the 10th over - 1 run(s), 2 hit(s), 0 error(s), 1 left on base; Buffalo 4 - Pittsburgh 4

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

A 4-3 triple play, if I read that right...2B catches the ball on a line, runs over to 2B to tag the runner heading back to second, then somehow fires to 1B to tag that runner before he gets back to first? :psyboom:

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

oldskool posted:

A 4-3 triple play, if I read that right...2B catches the ball on a line, runs over to 2B to tag the runner heading back to second, then somehow fires to 1B to tag that runner before he gets back to first? :psyboom:

double steal?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Regnevelc posted:

double steal?

With the bases loaded it'd have to be a triple steal, I would think, which somehow makes it even more ridiculous.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

oldskool posted:

Line drive, stepped on the bag to double the runner off of 2nd, threw to 1st to get the runner there.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

6EQUJ5 posted:

I picked up Football Manager a few months ago because I started to get into soccer/football. When I started playing I knew nothing, let alone the difference between a center back and an attacking midfielder. And now? I still don't know much, heck I have to use Manchester United to actually win any games, but I've learned a lot by sticking with it and I've really enjoyed it. Doesn't hurt that the game is great.

I guess my point is, it might seem slow or stupid at first, but if you stick with OOTP is a really fun sim management.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
This is just ice cold.

quote:

Sunday, July 24th, 2005
Stu Patterson pitches a NO-HITTER against the Cincinnati Diamonds with 4 strikeouts and 2 BB allowed!

quote:

Sunday, July 31st, 2005
Assigned SP Stu Patterson to Triple A Nashua.

"Hey, congrats on the no hitter and all, but yeah, go back to the minors." His birthday is 2 days after he got demoted. The CPU is an rear end in a top hat. :smith:

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
And now I lost a relief pitcher to a concussion for 10 days because a groundskeeper hit him in the head with a rake while dancing to Never Gonna Give You Up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Today I got bored and did this. I feel it was worth the time it took and can only hope it happens to the Yankees someday. :downs:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

OctoberBlues posted:

Today I got bored and did this. I feel it was worth the time it took and can only hope it happens to the Yankees someday. :downs:

:psyboom:
I don't know what's more impressive: Granderson hitting 61 HRs, 77 wins in the modern era with the team leader having 2 saves, a team leading the league in average, HRs and ERA finishing 4 games under .500, or a team going 40 games under their Pythagorean.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

oldskool posted:

:psyboom:
I don't know what's more impressive: Granderson hitting 61 HRs, 77 wins in the modern era with the team leader having 2 saves, a team leading the league in average, HRs and ERA finishing 4 games under .500, or a team going 40 games under their Pythagorean.
also note the 1166 runs scored by the offense, which completely shatters the existing record

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
What happened with Mo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Mo was 0-18 with a 5.03 ERA, 2 saves, and 19 blown saves. Which I wasn't even thinking about when I started this, but makes sense since the only way that season could happen is if the Yankees lose all of their games by a razor thin margin and win all of their games by a whole lot.

• Locked thread