Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jay Dub posted:

Okay, that might be completely true. That's sort of where the SA-ness of Current Releases comes out. Think of it this way, though: If we did the opposite of that, then we'd potentially be giving glowing reviews to everything. Unless it's Alvin and the Chipmunks or something. And how interesting would that be?
This reminds me that there hasn't been a talking animal movie review in a while. Sign of a trend, or just the calm before the storm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Not sure it counts, but there's the new Smurf film. Jay Dub will have to suffer that, right?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Turbo and Epic are slated for this summer, if those count. I already hate the idea of a slug with Aziz Ansari's voice.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Professor Clumsy posted:

My Avengers review got a lot "No, it doesn't mean that, it doesn't mean anything" responses. I find that rather alarming; the reluctance to find meaning in the things you like. Are these people afraid of what it will say about them?

Honestly, I'd say no. There's a preconception a lot of people have about art, especially in regards to film, in that most films you'd see in a movie theatre are just popcorn flicks for entertainment without a whole lot of message behind it, and a lot of newspaper reviews and the like tend to go along with that. There's not a lot of discussion on deeper meaning outside of college class rooms, internet forums, and probably film discussion meetings, which all reeks of education (which a lot of people view as bad.)

I'd think a lot of people don't really grasp context and subtlety very well. The best anecdote I have for that was Pixar's Up, at the very beginning when the girl lost her baby and was told she couldn't have babies. It wasn't spelled out, and I overheard a lot of people wondering why that scene was so sad. So something even MORE subtle is probably going to go waaaay over their heads.

The average consumer probably knows nothing about these things, and to be told about it smacks them in the face as intellectual, which is a four letter word for most people. I know earlier in this thread people brought up the whole thing with Nosferatu and how he was framed and what that meant, and that's the sort of thing a lot of people just wouldn't think of on their own or get without being told as such.

Again, there's also the fact that people will dearly enjoy something and want it to mean one thing, and be offended someone took it another way, even though that is sort of the meaning of art and one of those things that there's long rear end classes on. An example is your whole idea with Jarvis; taken within the context of just Iron Man 3, one could take the whole deal in that context. However, someone who has seen all three movies and is a fan of these movies is not going to be judging the story of the film by just one film at a time when someone posits ideas like this. They're liable to go 'UH JARVIS TALKED TO PEPPER IN THE FIRST MOVIE, WHAT THE gently caress BLAH BLAHURH' and get angry or just dismiss everything as idiocy and stretching.

I do think that a lot of people have trouble, especially with comic book movies, of judging the films on its merits as a film, instead of an extension of something they love.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I finally got around to reading that article, and this part:

quote:

There's also this idea that the big summer blockbusters are critic-proof, meaning that they don't need critics to sell tickets. Well, of course they don't. But no movie is critic-proof in the sense that it can't be somehow illuminated, or opened out, by a writer.
sums up so much of my philosophy perfectly.

In a world of constant marketing, you've basically figured out whether you're going to buy a ticket or not months in advance. We get that. We're not trying to get you to not see movies. (Well, sometimes we are.) That's not our job, and quite frankly, we'd rather be getting you to see a movie you might have passed than skip experiencing a movie you wanted to see because of us.

Our goal is to offer other perspectives, to try to explain to you what the movie is trying to say in some way. Most of the time we're on it, sometimes we're way off the mark and it only makes sense to us. (I hate that we keep using Ian's "Cap in the mirror" example, but I saw the Avengers twice and still have no idea what he's saying there.)

John Dyne posted:

I do think that a lot of people have trouble, especially with comic book movies, of judging the films on its merits as a film, instead of an extension of something they love.

The biggest problem with superhero movies in particular, or any film that has a "target audience" is that we live in a consumerist society, and people associate things they like as being a part of them. Therefore, you can't offer any proper criticism of a film to them, because for them, the argument begins and ends with "There is a THING I LIKE on a GIANT SCREEN." I'm not going to give a film a free pass because it's got an audience, and neither should anyone else. If we did that, if we followed Kevin Smith's "Every movie is someone's favorite" then every review ever written becomes "It's the sort of thing you would like, if you like that sort of thing," and that's not really criticism, or writing, now is it?

Superheroes are an easy one to pick on because their fans are more vocal, but I remember when "Something Borrowed" bombed, the book's author threw a fit and acted like a total baby on Twitter and screamed that critics "just didn't get it." and the fans were like "Yeah, they weren't the target audience." The thing is, if it's a good film, and the audience members aren't going in trying to fight with the movie, then it shouldn't matter that you're not the target audience. Only a lazy filmmaker only makes films for one group.

I'm going to go ahead and be self-promotive here, and remind everyone that I gave a speech on this very subject, in fact EVERYTHING we've been talking about, at a research conference a year ago (while I was dying of a kidney infection, had a 103-degree fever, and couldn't read my notes):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h05SpxOvZU

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Have you guys ever thought about having more than one person review the same movie? Either as like a back and forth conversation, or two completely independent reviews.

I miss At The Movies

I think that was the initial idea behind the Minority Reports, but it gets difficult to schedule two movies fr us each week, when we've usually only got about a 48-hour window to do our things anyway. If people cared, we could probably post renbuttals and responses and additional reviews on the Facebook page.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jay Dub posted:

Turbo and Epic are slated for this summer, if those count. I already hate the idea of a slug with Aziz Ansari's voice.

I think I'd be really excited for Epic if it weren't for the loving slug.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I think I'd be really excited for Epic if it weren't for the loving slug.

That slug loving stops every single trailer I see for Epic dead in its tracks. Also Pitbull and Steven Tyler are in the cast. I have very little hope for Epic.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Vargo posted:

That slug loving stops every single trailer I see for Epic dead in its tracks. Also Pitbull and Steven Tyler are in the cast. I have very little hope for Epic.

I'm glad I have no idea who those 3 guys are. And the facebook back/forth thing sounds cool, but use twitter instead so those of us not subscribed to facebook can read it.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

effectual posted:

I'm glad I have no idea who those 3 guys are. And the facebook back/forth thing sounds cool, but use twitter instead so those of us not subscribed to facebook can read it.

But... then we're just tweeting about movies we've watched after we watch them. We do that anyway.

The other problem is that you'll probably find us agreeing more than you would like. For example, I really enjoyed Mud, but I have absolutely nothing to say about it to add to what Joe already wrote.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Mud: I liked it. McConaughey ruled.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Regarding The Great Gatsby:

Probably like a lot of other people here in the U.S., it was mandatory reading in high school for me. It's also the only book I can hardly remember because I found it so ridiculously pointless and uninteresting, especially the second half. The only good things about it were the characters. I'd love to see a movie with similar characters in a different plot/setting, but as it is, I don't see how any director could make an interesting movie out of the plot in the book.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

dpbjinc posted:

I'd love to see a movie with similar characters in a different plot/setting, but as it is, I don't see how any director could make an interesting movie out of the plot in the book.

This is basically how I felt about it, and from strictly a thematic standpoint, I love Gatsby. But there is honestly no way to make about 70% of that book visually interesting.

I also feel that today, a drunk driving hit-and-run is not the shocking plot point it once was. poo poo Daisy's rich enough she'd probably get off pretty easily. We're too cynical for a novel that ends in cynicism.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Spoilers!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

As dreadful as Peeples sounds, I fail to see how it will be the favorite film of MRAs.

And yes, Jay Dub, you're an old person inside- my parents liked The Sapphires and they're in their mid-60s.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 19, 2013

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Y-Hat posted:

And yes, Jay Dub, you're an old person inside- my parents liked The Sapphires and they're in their mid-60s.

My dad had been bugging me about it for months. His favorite film critic gave it a nice review six months ago, and ever since he's been asking me if I knew anything about this Sapphires movie. This week, when I told him I was reviewing it, he forgot what it was.

:negative: I don't know, dad...I don't know.

Trillaphon
Jul 18, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

This reminds me that there hasn't been a talking animal movie review in a while. Sign of a trend, or just the calm before the storm?

Yeah it's the second one, the calm storm thing. Unless you're talking about movies anyone's actually seen or heard of, in which case you're legally obligated to disregard everything I just said.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

quote:

I'm going to go ahead and be self-promotive here, and remind everyone that I gave a speech on this very subject, in fact EVERYTHING we've been talking about, at a research conference a year ago (while I was dying of a kidney infection, had a 103-degree fever, and couldn't read my notes):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h05SpxOvZU

I'm finally getting around to watching this, and holy poo poo is that Bevelry Hills Chihuahua plot for real? :stare:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Benne posted:

I'm finally getting around to watching this, and holy poo poo is that Bevelry Hills Chihuahua plot for real? :stare:

I did not make up a single. word.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kinda feel you about the lack of meaningful character development in Now You See Me, but when I saw it today I just thought it was bleedingly obvious that the FBI and Interpol agents were the main characters. I mean, Woody Harrison's character pretty much straight up says it in the beginning. I totally fell for the ending plot twist, though. I really should have seen it coming, but welp, it's a good movie.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Question for Professor Clumsy regarding The Purge: If all crime is legal, do they explain why the intruders are wearing masks? Is it central to the plot to conceal their identities?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Question for Professor Clumsy regarding The Purge: If all crime is legal, do they explain why the intruders are wearing masks? Is it central to the plot to conceal their identities?

What? Do you want to be an unstylish criminal?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I'm wondering what's stopping the faux-Anonymous group from just setting the house on fire and ending the movie early.

Or did they actually address that in the movie?

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Just because something is legal, doesn't mean you won't get ostracized in some manner for doing it.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Offkorn posted:

Just because something is legal, doesn't mean you won't get ostracized in some manner for doing it.

"Once something has been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral"
- Reverend Lovejoy

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Haephastus posted:

I kinda feel you about the lack of meaningful character development in Now You See Me, but when I saw it today I just thought it was bleedingly obvious that the FBI and Interpol agents were the main characters. I mean, Woody Harrison's character pretty much straight up says it in the beginning. I totally fell for the ending plot twist, though. I really should have seen it coming, but welp, it's a good movie.

This was one of those moments like Insidious where I realized in the middle of writing it that one of the things I was complaining about was actually the point of the story, but if I explained it, I was giving away too much of the story. That's why I included this line:

quote:

From a thematic point of view, this makes perfect sense, because it's more Dylan's story than it is the Horsemen's, but it still feels like a series of missed opportunities

Because it's true, and it's about as much as I can actually say about it without massive spoilerage. I just would have liked to have seen more interaction with the Horsemen, that's all. You put together such a fun cast, and then don't afford them any time to play around. It seems like a waste.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Well, I think it's supposed to be a kind of cult of personality, the unnamed ringleader removes his mask and the masks looks like him so they're like his disciples or something. It's never explained, but I think that's what we're supposed to take from it.

Offkorn posted:

The film starts with Ethan Hawke listening to a radio phone-in show.

"We have Larry on the line, what are you planning for Purge Night, Larry?"

"I'm going to hunt down my boss and kill him."

"Sounds like everyone's busy this year."

There's a little bit about people buying and displaying blue flowers to show their support for Purge Night too. There is no indication in the film that anyone is looked down upon in any way for "Purging."

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
If I heard correctly, isn't it also the case that the government actively arrests and executes people who try to resist the Purge, or just oppose it?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Nucleic Acids posted:

If I heard correctly, isn't it also the case that the government actively arrests and executes people who try to resist the Purge, or just oppose it?

That's not in the film, not sure where you heard that one.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Since the odds of me ever seeing The Purge are extremely low would you mind spoiling the way they repeatedly solve problems for me?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Since the odds of me ever seeing The Purge are extremely low would you mind spoiling the way they repeatedly solve problems for me?

I think he mentioned somewhere in some thread that the character not currently onscreen always saves the day.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Professor Clumsy posted:

Well, I think it's supposed to be a kind of cult of personality, the unnamed ringleader removes his mask and the masks looks like him so they're like his disciples or something. It's never explained, but I think that's what we're supposed to take from it.

The film starts with Ethan Hawke listening to a radio phone-in show.

"We have Larry on the line, what are you planning for Purge Night, Larry?"

"I'm going to hunt down my boss and kill him."

"Sounds like everyone's busy this year."

There's a little bit about people buying and displaying blue flowers to show their support for Purge Night too. There is no indication in the film that anyone is looked down upon in any way for "Purging."

Thanks for the info. Everything I hear bout this movie makes me hope it gets a comedy sequel.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

I have a blog now, for those interested.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Deep Thoughts with Professor Clumsy.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

We have a new batch: check em out!

I just have one request: explain the title of Frances Ha. Based on the review I can only imagine the meaning behind it is going to be really obnoxious, but I won't be able to sleep until I know what the "Ha" is supposed to be. Is that laughter? The character's last name? What? Someone put me out of my misery.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

We have a new batch: check em out!

I just have one request: explain the title of Frances Ha. Based on the review I can only imagine the meaning behind it is going to be really obnoxious, but I won't be able to sleep until I know what the "Ha" is supposed to be. Is that laughter? The character's last name? What? Someone put me out of my misery.

It's super-stupid, but I'll spoiler tag it anyway: Her name is Frances Hawthorne or Halloway or something like that. In the last scene of the movie, when Frances finally grows up and starts to get her poo poo together, she finally gets a steady job and her own apartment. She begins to write out her name tag for the mailbox, then discovers that the only amount that will fit in the mailbox slot is "Frances Ha." The last shot of the movie is the mailbox with Francis Ha written on it and the credits roll and ugggggghhhhh....

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

For the last time, Marty: It's Frances.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Vargo posted:

It's super-stupid, but I'll spoiler tag it anyway: Her name is Frances Hawthorne or Halloway or something like that. In the last scene of the movie, when Frances finally grows up and starts to get her poo poo together, she finally gets a steady job and her own apartment. She begins to write out her name tag for the mailbox, then discovers that the only amount that will fit in the mailbox slot is "Frances Ha." The last shot of the movie is the mailbox with Francis Ha written on it and the credits roll and ugggggghhhhh....

That's horrible. I'll be skipping this one for sure.

However, cannot wait to see the Iceman. Michael Shannon is the best. Loved him in Mud.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

https://www.somethingawful.com/d/current-movie-reviews/man-of-steel.php

"This is a cinematic Pillsbury Grands Biscuit: It has many layers, but they're all just shallow and white-bread."

Amazing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

So is this easily the worst year for movies since Current Releases started?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Man of Steel is arguably Zack Snyder's first non-satirical, non-self-critical film.
I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it here: I have never been convinced that 300 is a satire.

• Locked thread