Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
And despite this, I imagine at this rate it will be funded by the end of its first day. Though I suppose we should root for it to succeed in order to get the books up to decent quality, as you point out.

Hmm ... only $350 to play a game of Call of Cthulhu ...

Edit: Here is a link to the 7th Edition Call of Cthulhu Kickstarter for the top of this page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/448333182/call-of-cthulhu-7th-edition

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's just such a shame when you look at how the French and Spanish collector's editions turned out... And then Chaosium rolls up asking for fourty thousand dollars before we can talk about colored ink.

At least it'll be easier on my printer when I make cheat-sheets to tape into my 6e book.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea this is basically my most fanboy I've ever been I think. I think this is totally unacceptable to put in such a lack of effort compared to other printings, including absurd prices, but gently caress me I'm still in for thirty bucks to get the PDFs.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I wonder what would happen if someone posted the links to those two collector's editions in the comments and nonchalantly said "awesome, are they going to look like this?!?"

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

moths posted:

It's just such a shame when you look at how the French and Spanish collector's editions turned out... And then Chaosium rolls up asking for fourty thousand dollars before we can talk about colored ink.

At least it'll be easier on my printer when I make cheat-sheets to tape into my 6e book.

Having just bought the Spanish edition, not even the one with all the extra swag, I just can't be bothered with this kickstarter. Black and white softcover, two separate books, charging extra for book+pdf... Not enticing at all. I wonder how much they could have gotten had they gone the Achtung Cthulhu way.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Before the 7th edition kickstarter was launched, I was planning on jumping on it just because. Now that I've seen the price, all interest has completely vanished.

I've invested quite a bit into Trail of Cthulhu and I'm quite happy with the support that has been receiving. The recently unveiled Eternal Lies sounds great and further emphasises the care for that line to me, I'm all over that one. I don't think Chaosium can compete with that at all. I'm quite happy to keep that as it is.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Quarex posted:

I wonder what would happen if someone posted the links to those two collector's editions in the comments and nonchalantly said "awesome, are they going to look like this?!?"

I cross posted the links on the YSDC thread that Paul has been active in, and apparently there's a phone call to Chaosium today with early feedback, questions, etc.

The sentiment seems to be "but that would be expensive!" and it's like... that's why you're at kickstarter. They should have secured those art assets years ago as part of the licensing agreement.

And I was right about Chaosium insisting on the PDF pricing. Guys, I still love you but it's not 1992 anymore.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
I still haven't gotten anything about the NDA dropping (frustrating as hell!), but I'll be frank and say I'm not laying down money for the Kickstarter and I don't know that I'll be buying this edition.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
70k for color in the Keeper book.

What the gently caress are you doing, Chaosium?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

70k for color in the Keeper book.

What the gently caress are you doing, Chaosium?
Don't worry, they're professionals at what they do.

Granted, what they do is 'Horribly mismanage things, with a laser-like focus on the mismanagement of finances,' but they're really good at it. :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Wait didn't they just win a quarter million dollars worth of small business seminars?

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
I'm going to get some birthday money and I want to spend it on some Call of Cthulhu books but I was wondering which books.
I'm thinking about the secrets of Kenya, Japan and Morocco books but are they any good?
Or should I get the Masks of Nyarlathotep or something else?

\/\/ Got the Secrets of Japan which has that LOL Japan going for it, and Secret of Morocco.

Stago Lego fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 5, 2013

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If I remember right Morocco was pretty drat good?

Japan had some good stuff too, but also some creepy ~lol Japan~ junk.

Kenya...no idea, don't think I've read it, to be totally honest don't have a ton of faith in that being good but, again, no experience.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

I'm happy enough with Trail of Cthulhu that I'll let this one pass by.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

akasnowmaaan posted:

I'm happy enough with Trail of Cthulhu that I'll let this one pass by.

Ditto this sentiment.

I actually just picked up "The Armitage Files" with an eye to running it soon. I'm very pleased, overall, with Trail of Cthulhu.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
I've always been aware of the mythos through osmosis, even though I've never read any of the actual stories (the shame!).

Anyway, I've played a couple games of Arkham Horror and I'm eager to establish my nerd cred. Which of the stories do you recommend I start with?

Secondly, I've won both of my games of Arkham Horror, so I feel like I'm missing the vital Arkham experience of losing horribly. I'm playing with a regular monthly group, now - which expansions should I suggest to the group so the next time will be more challenging and possibly result in horrible flabby death? :cthulhu:

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

I've always been aware of the mythos through osmosis, even though I've never read any of the actual stories (the shame!).

Anyway, I've played a couple games of Arkham Horror and I'm eager to establish my nerd cred. Which of the stories do you recommend I start with?

Well, "Call of Cthulhu." I'd also recommend: "The Whisperer in the Darkness," "The Color Out of Space," Pickman's Model," "The Dunwich Horror," "Shadow over Innsmouth," and "The Shadow out of Time."

My personal favourite is "At the Mountains of Madness."

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

Secondly, I've won both of my games of Arkham Horror, so I feel like I'm missing the vital Arkham experience of losing horribly. I'm playing with a regular monthly group, now - which expansions should I suggest to the group so the next time will be more challenging and possibly result in horrible flabby death? :cthulhu:

Any big-board expansion will amp up the danger quite a bit: "Dunwich Horror," "Kingsport Horror" and "Innsmouth Horror." I really like "The King in Yellow" as a small-box expansion.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
If you have a kindle you can get the complete lovecraft collection for $1 and a 40 story myths collection for $1

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ruth from the Double Shadow podcast actually typed up Lovecraft's complete works in a free eBook - which is infinitely better than paying for public domain works.

Goddamn, this 7e business. It sounds like they came up with some cool alternate mechanisms and optional rules that would have made for an awesome book of core tweaks and hacks like God Machine Chronicles update, Danse Macabre, or Mirrors for WoD, or that upcoming one for FATE. They've been backpedaling away from the changes, now many are "alternate" or "suggested" mechanics - and it's like, well why even sell that an edition? I guess there was some player push-back over change, because 4e.

:sigh:

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

moths posted:

and it's like, well why even sell that an edition?

This is how I've felt about many of the 'new' editions of CoC. You look at things like the move from D&D 2e to 3e, or 3e to 4e, and it's a massive overhaul that touches nearly every rulesystem, even the fluff in most cases. Then you look at the pitch for the new editions of CoC, and they typically lead with "All new layout! All new art!", which isn't really what I buy books for (that was an ok excuse for the 20th anniversary edition, but that boat's sailed).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Everything about it just feels so half-assed. I mean, how else do you go from the latest keeper's screen:

to

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Thanks for reminding me that I need to get that Keeper's Screen back from my friend's house. That is one Call of Cthulhu product I have no regrets in purchasing (despite the unlikelihood of me ever actually playing Cthulhu using the system on the other side of the screen).

I remember trying to figure out the source for the screen before and being unsuccessful--is it actually just really well-done purpose-created art? Or did they find the weirdest old-timey panoramic photograph ever?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I want to say it was done by the guys who did the French edition, which was also beautiful. I still can't believe what a tease that turned out to be.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It definitely says something about the product they are making when I feel like it would be a better use of my time to learn rudimentary French in order to buy and use that French collector's edition than to support their Kickstarter.

Edit: Hold everything, at the next stretch goal they also include a #2 pencil with the set. I am back on board.

(I want to give them the benefit of the doubt for the $125,000 goal "Big-Big Art Boost" and hope that it is somehow related to making the book actually even close to the quality of the other editions)

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 3, 2013

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Oh my god, you're not joking. :negative:

Bonald Farndhardt
Apr 18, 2005
Ye it up
The pencil is era-accurate and contains huge amounts of lead. You can poison your friends while they play! It's called metagaming, people.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I backed the 7th edition kickstarter yesterday, before I checked this thread. After reading the criticisms here, I'm feeling a bit bad about it. On the other hand, I don't own any CoC keeper/player books yet and I was looking to get some, so I might as well have gotten these in my FLGS come Halloween or Christmas. I did a little math, and I expect the price for both the hardcovers at my FLGS would be the same I paid for them now. It's 122$ for the 100$ pledge level shipped to Europe = 61$ per book ~= 47€ per book in my FLGS, which sounds about right. Add to that bonuses (dice, keeper screen) and I'm starting to think it's a good deal. Am I delusional or is there at least some merit to my reasoning?

I checked the funding progress using kicktraq, and I think they'll need to add stretch goals up to a minimum of $200.000, which probably means we'll at least get industry standard quality books. I'd greatly prefer them to underpromise and overdeliver, as opposed to the other way around.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Quarex posted:

Edit: Hold everything, at the next stretch goal they also include a #2 pencil with the set. I am back on board.

(I want to give them the benefit of the doubt for the $125,000 goal "Big-Big Art Boost" and hope that it is somehow related to making the book actually even close to the quality of the other editions)

#2 pencil? I can't get those anywhere anymore! SOLD, for $200!

Seriously though, I have my doubts about the art. You know how with foreign countries the number of words related to democracy in its name, the less democratic it is (I'm looking at you, Democratic People's Republic of Korea)? I feel like the more words synonymous with "more" in the titles for the art stretch goals, the less art actually ends up in the book.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

moths posted:

Ruth from the Double Shadow podcast actually typed up Lovecraft's complete works in a free eBook - which is infinitely better than paying for public domain works.

Goddamn, this 7e business. It sounds like they came up with some cool alternate mechanisms and optional rules that would have made for an awesome book of core tweaks and hacks like God Machine Chronicles update, Danse Macabre, or Mirrors for WoD, or that upcoming one for FATE. They've been backpedaling away from the changes, now many are "alternate" or "suggested" mechanics - and it's like, well why even sell that an edition? I guess there was some player push-back over change, because 4e.

:sigh:

Where are you reading about the changes to the rules and backpedaling?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Miskatonic University podcast has an interview up where they talk about how reeled-in the proposed changes got. I'll listen to it again, but it sounds like the bigger changes (new luck system for example) became take-it-or-leave-it optional because it rocked the boat.

I'll try to link when I'm not phone posting, it's ... Interesting.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I emailed Chaosium, asking whether the Kickstarter books would cover any periods other than the 1920s -- they won't. Previous editions didn't cover 1890s or present-day in great depth, but at least they were mentioned in passing. 7E won't even get that much, if their email is to be believed.

Also, I don't think I've ever before seen a Kickstarter where domestic shipping wasn't included in the rewards prices. (Add-ons requiring separate shipping, sure, but this is for the base rewards.) Is Chaosium actively trying to confuse backers? "Oh, you donated $500 but not an extra $5 for US shipping? No product for you!"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's actually not as uncommon as you'd expect, but it's a pretty amateur-hour.

Here's the podcast I was talking about earlier. It sounds like Chaosium and the playtesters pushed-back pretty hard on... well, everything. At the end of chapters you get alternate mechanics and optional rules.

The interviewer asks if it's going to get the same layout treatment as the non-English ones, and they say that something like that could be on the table - and that you should talk to Chaosium about that. But Badger McInnes who's doing the layout had this to say on his blog:

quote:

I’ve been seeing a lot of clamor lately about “FFG edition/Spanish edition/French edition looks so gorgeous! That’s what we want!” on the interwebs. It would be really easy to try to mimic those designs, and i understand that some gamers really want a pretty book. But as a Keeper myself, i know that the first thing i want out of a rulebook is for it to allow me to read it easily, and find the information i need quickly. I cannot in good conscience let the organization of a book suffer to make it look more attractive.

Since i’ve been doing book design, i’ve by and large trusted my gut, as to what looked and felt right. That’s what has gotten me to this point. I’m not about to change that now. So…i hope people will be able to trust my judgement.

His gut gave us C'thulhu by Gaslight, which looked like this:

Which is serviceable and organized I guess, but even D20 CoC had more character with its weird slanting paragraphs and Claymation cover. And it's a $20 for the Keeper's Guide PDF which is still a lot for a blind purchase of tweaks and hacks and reprinted rules I already own.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

I emailed Chaosium, asking whether the Kickstarter books would cover any periods other than the 1920s -- they won't. Previous editions didn't cover 1890s or present-day in great depth, but at least they were mentioned in passing. 7E won't even get that much, if their email is to be believed.

Also, I don't think I've ever before seen a Kickstarter where domestic shipping wasn't included in the rewards prices. (Add-ons requiring separate shipping, sure, but this is for the base rewards.) Is Chaosium actively trying to confuse backers? "Oh, you donated $500 but not an extra $5 for US shipping? No product for you!"

No modern rules? Not going to get it then.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
Has anyone tried the Android version of Elder Sign (Elder Sign: Omens)? Is the boardgame Elder Sign anything like this?

I got it today and I'm pretty frustrated by it - it's heavily luck based and I have trouble remembering which glyphs come from which sort of items. It's kind of a pain in the butt.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

Has anyone tried the Android version of Elder Sign (Elder Sign: Omens)? Is the boardgame Elder Sign anything like this?

I got it today and I'm pretty frustrated by it - it's heavily luck based and I have trouble remembering which glyphs come from which sort of items. It's kind of a pain in the butt.

The board game is basically the same thing, except all the DLC (and more) is available in the base game. If you don't like the Android version, you'll likely find the tabletop version to be the same with the added tedium of more things to manually keep track of.

In other news, I just got an email saying that the Horror on the Orient Express remake is using CoC 7th edition for their rules base. Surprise! :sigh:

geeksauce
Mar 1, 2011

clockworkjoe posted:

No modern rules? Not going to get it then.

My sentiments exactly. I backed for $70 yesterday, but now I'm going to pull it and just keep my 6e. Maybe I'll use the money saved to buy Masks since I never had a copy. Or maybe I'll buy a copy of Trail of Cthulhu since I've seen some positive comments on it over the last couple of pages.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The creators said the books would cover both the 30s and modern era - but gaslight, Rome and Dark Ages are being omitted since they've got their own dedicated books.

Although it's possible Chaosium cut the modern stuff, but that would be bone headed, even for them.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
My sense of it is that they're leaning heavily on the new version of Delta Green to be a default "modern" CoC setting.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Actually, to avoid any confusion, maybe I mis-read their email. Here's what it said:

a PM on Kickstarter from Chaosium posted:

This edition will primarily be focused on the 1920s. We are working on expanding our Cthulhu by Gaslight support with a companion that will be published in the near future (everything is complete with it, it just needs to be printed).

So maybe there's still a token reference to modern-day in there somewhere? It's vague as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah there's probably an appendix or something with stats for modern guns, but I wouldn't expect high page count descriptions of the era we actually live in. Modern probably won't go into the secret conspiracy stuff, since that's Delta Green territory

Delta Green is actually Pagan Publishing, and getting it's own system, which just seems kind of dumb and reactionary now that we know 7e is backwards compatible. But when they announced DG as it's own game nobody knew what to expect from Call.