Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wait she's got a sword in that picture. I don't remember DPC having swords in its style weapons.

Was the picture drawn first and crowbarred into an unrelated martial art style? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Honestly it would not surprise me in the least if that were the case.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Kai Tave posted:

Honestly it would not surprise me in the least if that were the case.

Nope, Charm was ported almost word-for-word from 1e.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Was the illustration not also in 1E? I honestly can't remember, it's been years since I last cracked an Exalted book.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Nope. Illustration was new to 2E. That was someone's rendition of the Seahorse Charm.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Though plenty of art was reused from other 2E books in the first DTRPG products, I think that no 1E art was reused for all of 2E.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
I feel like it would stick out, as 1e stuff and 2e stuff tend to have different aesthetics. Unrelated, is Invisible Fortress still going to be canon in 3E?

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente
Looking at the Language Merit preview I guess the, "take a specialization in the language to be able to speak it fluently" has been removed, which is probably for the best, I can't think of a time a single ST I played with remembered that little detail or cared about.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013
Jumping back to Liminals real quick: what's the in-world justification for people (and such) to keep trying resurrection, even though that has never worked even once in 10k+ years?

Or are those supposed to be the exceptions, and most Liminals come from people (and such) trying to make a Liminal? ("That Shadowland is really getting out of control, let's stitch us up a new sheriff!")

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Perhaps Language should be a Story merit. After all, what if someone just smugly declares that they've picked up in a month something your character spent years of their childhood learning!

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Dodge Charms posted:

Jumping back to Liminals real quick: what's the in-world justification for people (and such) to keep trying resurrection, even though that has never worked even once in 10k+ years?

Or are those supposed to be the exceptions, and most Liminals come from people (and such) trying to make a Liminal? ("That Shadowland is really getting out of control, let's stitch us up a new sheriff!")

People don't KNOW there is a setting rule that says its impossible, they'll just try and find out it doesn't work that way.

Some people will have some knowledge that implies this is a thing but set out to prove that wisdom wrong or because they think they finally found the solution. Some people are aware of the rule but try anyway because they are mad with grief or maybe just literally mad.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Dodge Charms posted:

My guess would be that there's a considerable amount of misinformation about the subject. We have our stories about Frankenstein and voodoo and saints raising people from the dead and what not in real-life. There's no reason why people in Creation can't have theirs, some of which would be believed by some people.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Dodge Charms posted:

Could be several reasons:

Arrogance: "Just because no one's ever done it before doesn't mean I'll fail!" (This is probably the best motivation for Exalt-as-creator, really.)

Ignorance: I mean, you've got people who've never been outside their small kingdom or whatever, they may just not know that it's not possible. Not everyone knows the iron laws of the setting.

Grief: It's slightly implied that you don't really -need- the ritual. So you've got someone weeping their eyes out over the body of their child or spouse or etc, and making silent promises to whoever will listen. And then the Dark Mother does.

It's my body, dammit!: Similar to the above, only backwards. A freshly minted ghost with unfinished business keeps trying to animate his own corpse and walk it around, doing the same sort of thing. And then well, it comes back, only without the ghost in it. So now the ghost hangs around trying to convince the new person in his corpse to put right what he couldn't.

And so on.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Dodge Charms posted:

Why do people in the real world keep attempting Cold Fusion even though everything they use as evidence has repeatedly been shown to be false or misinterpreted data?

It happens all the time, otherwise very smart people who should really know better think they're special, they're different, that only their genius can crack the code.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Dodge Charms posted:

The absence of 10k+ years of reliable history, for one. Even a brilliant savant doesn't have some First Age treasure trove of information on what has and has not been achieved in the sorcerous arts; somebody driven more by obsession than the achievements of knowledge probably has nothing to go on at all, except hope beyond hope.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Besides, do you really think Big Reincarnation up in the sky would want anyone to know that there's a way out of their celestial pyramid scheme?

If the ghosts can gently caress with the system, surely you can to!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Plus, as far as some people are concerned resurrection does work. For instance, sometimes it produces a Liminal Exalt.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair
And I'm sure there's a kind of rear end in a top hat demon that can be summoned by certain resurrection rituals and the like, coming to Creation in the shape of the deceased person and confusing everything for everyone. Seems like the sort of thing that would exist.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

unseenlibrarian posted:

It's my body, dammit!: Similar to the above, only backwards. A freshly minted ghost with unfinished business keeps trying to animate his own corpse and walk it around, doing the same sort of thing. And then well, it comes back, only without the ghost in it. So now the ghost hangs around trying to convince the new person in his corpse to put right what he couldn't.
That is awesome. Ghost as coadjutor is a great angle, too.

I'm having trouble coming up with three circles worth of distinct character origins (so, around 15 different Liminal origins).

Maybe it's just me, though.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Dodge Charms posted:

It's possible that Liminals lie to deliberately muddy the waters. ('I totally am your son!')

You second idea about the sheriff is honestly pretty cool.

Also, while resurrection is indeed impossible, experiments that create life were canon in 1E and 2E, so it may be possible for Liminals to spring from someone's failed attempt to introduce life into a golem or whip themselves up a new batch of djala.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
If I can play a dude who can shift from a horseback lancing warrior-guy to a leather shield and warclub-guy effortlessly that would own.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Ferrinus posted:

Perhaps Language should be a Story merit. After all, what if someone just smugly declares that they've picked up in a month something your character spent years of their childhood learning!

So, how exactly did you pick up that dot of melee, mister? I don't recall you spending years training to improve your proficiency with all weapons, like my character did in his backstory...?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

Plus, as far as some people are concerned resurrection does work. For instance, sometimes it produces a Liminal Exalt.

A Deathlord seeks its ancient, well preserved corpse from a well-protected tomb created by the Dragonblooded Shogunate. In doing so, it hopes to attempt to resurrect it, making it into a Liminal servant.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Ferrinus posted:

I thought that the Story merit doesn't mean that you can't spend XP on it. I thought it meant that you can spend bonus points on it at character creation or XP whenever you're spending XP, but the ST is encouraged to hand it out for free in play if it makes sense for you to have picked it up by now.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I thought that the Story merit doesn't mean that you can't spend XP on it. I thought it meant that you can spend bonus points on it at character creation or XP whenever you're spending XP, but the ST is encouraged to hand it out for free in play if it makes sense for you to have picked it up by now.

I think Story merits are only available for build points at chargen or through roleplaying in play. I could be wrong, but the facetious complaint I make in the post you quoted was Holden's exact reasoning for why Tempered By The Elements should be a Story merit in the kickstarter comments.

Mind you, Story merits costing XP unless you trick the Storyteller into giving you them for free would probably be even worse than Story merits being only ever being XP-free.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Ferrinus posted:

I think Story merits are only available for build points at chargen or through roleplaying in play. I could be wrong, but the facetious complaint I make in the post you quoted was Holden's exact reasoning for why Tempered By The Elements should be a Story merit in the kickstarter comments.

Mind you, Story merits costing XP unless you trick the Storyteller into giving you them for free would probably be even worse than Story merits being only ever being XP-free.

I've never really liked the idea of chargen only merits, since most of the time characters really come to life in play and neat back-story stuff like 'I am of noble blood' can be thought up a few sessions in. It encourages trying to have everything about the character set in stone from chargen, it's lame.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The people who are sure it doesn't work are probably those Twilights who killed thousands of people to try and put their souls back together afterwards in the First Age.

Turns out people didn't like that sort of thing much and now they're all dead! :v:

Lymond
May 30, 2013

Dark Lord in training

Zereth posted:

The people who are sure it doesn't work are probably those Twilights who killed thousands of people to try and put their souls back together afterwards in the First Age.

Turns out people didn't like that sort of thing much and now they're all dead! :v:
Pretty much. I don't think there's any explicit metaphysical reason for resurrection to be truly impossible in Exalted: the most anyone can say is "dude, we tried this lots of times and it didn't work despite our best efforts. If a Twilight with resources can't do it, then it must be impossible." To a certain kind of person that kind of claim is an encouragement.

Also, it helps to keep in mind that the most important reason for why resurrection doesn't work is because it would make death meaningless in the "it's okay, we've got a high-level cleric" way. Killing people in Exalted matters because there are no backsies.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Really, the purpose of 'resurrection is impossible' is to make it more special when, in your campaign, someone gets resurrected.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Yeah it's way harder to write for a setting where straight up resurrection is a thing, especially when you're concerned about giving the social/political implications of the world's magic any thought in your writing. This on top of the tendency on the part of players to treat every possible thing as commonplace, it's a way stronger creative decision for the kind of game they're trying to write if you can't really bring people back from the dead.

Exalted is all about doing impossible things, but in order for that to have any weight there have to be things that are impossible in the first place.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dodge Charms posted:

Death sucks a big one, and they are surrounded by weird rear end magic powers. I mean there are ghosts, so clearly what you are can hang on a bit after death. And ghosts can possess people. Ghosts can have Ghost-blooded babies. You can make ghosts feel practically alive. Some ghosts have been around for centuries, perhaps thousands of years. These are things people with even a passing knowledge of necromancy would know [And you'd have to think people trying to raise the dead would have a bit of necromantic knowledge, if not actual Necromancy with a big N spells]. If you know a part of you can survive death with memories and can interact with the world in all ways, it's hard to accept that final leap that "But it's totally impossible for the arbitrary marking of 'life' to be applied again to those that are 'dead'".

And there is reality. You die, your soul is wiped clean, and it goes into another body. Your soul will, in fact, 'live' again. Exalted, and certain amazingly special mortals, have messed with the fundamental building blocks of reality before. Lethe is a process that exists because someone created it, and the ones that created it got their asses handed to them. Clearly the ability to overcome the limitations of the designers of reality *is* possible. So why can't someone bypass Lethe and that pesky memory wiping process and get their soul into a new body without losing their memories? It's not like Autobot has Lethe. It has a Lethe analog, but it's a different process. All people are looking for is another different process, one that skips the memory wipe.

So, not a rhetorical question: With your understanding of the setting as a setting, and not as some game balance rules, tell me why resurrection is *impossible*. Not because "We wanted death to feel meaningful", that's a totally valid game reason not to have it but it's not something characters would know. All characters know is how close and how meaningless and arbitrary are the aspects of the world that keep them from doing one relatively simple thing.

Why *wouldn't* they keep trying? Lots of things were impossible right up to the second they weren't. A Terrestrial could never take control of the Realm Defense Grid....until one did. That particular impossibility is the single defining miracle of the modern age of Exalted, the one by which all powers are shaping their actions. In a world of miracles, why would you ever stop believing?

Lymond
May 30, 2013

Dark Lord in training

Boogaleeboo posted:

l question: With your understanding of the setting as a setting, and not as some game balance rules, tell me why resurrection is *impossible*. Not because "We wanted death to feel meaningful", that's a totally valid game reason not to have it but it's not something characters would know. All characters know is how close and how meaningless and arbitrary are the aspects of the world that keep them from doing one relatively simple thing.

Why *wouldn't* they keep trying? Lots of things were impossible right up to the second they weren't. A Terrestrial could never take control of the Realm Defense Grid....until one did. That particular impossibility is the single defining miracle of the modern age of Exalted, the one by which all powers are shaping their actions. In a world of miracles, why would you ever stop believing?
Every serious attempt by Exalted to bring someone back to life—and there have to have been thousands—will have taken into account everything those Exalted knew about Creation's metaphysics and then proceeded with a logical hypothesis. You'd expect something to happen: that is to say, if their resurrection rituals failed, it wasn't by getting a "no reaction" result. Like human transmutation in Full Metal Alchemist (or making Liminals in Exalted now I guess) it's much more interesting when the experiment fails by yielding a result that is similar to what you wanted, but different in a very meaningful way.

It's easier to think of resurrection as "no one has got it right yet" than "no one gets any results".

Lymond fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 3, 2013

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
So, I expected everyone here to pledge 100 dollars more because of the 555k tier. GOLDEN SPINE.

Do it!

Seriously I am very excited for this, more excited then I need to be really.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Bardlebee posted:

So, I expected everyone here to pledge 100 dollars more because of the 555k tier. GOLDEN SPINE.

Do it!

Seriously I am very excited for this, more excited then I need to be really.

Have they apologized for their insanely offensive preview and their toxic response yet? Because that's pretty much a pre-requisite before they get a dime of my money.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Boogaleeboo posted:

Death sucks a big one, and they are surrounded by weird rear end magic powers. I mean there are ghosts, so clearly what you are can hang on a bit after death. And ghosts can possess people. Ghosts can have Ghost-blooded babies. You can make ghosts feel practically alive. Some ghosts have been around for centuries, perhaps thousands of years. These are things people with even a passing knowledge of necromancy would know [And you'd have to think people trying to raise the dead would have a bit of necromantic knowledge, if not actual Necromancy with a big N spells]. If you know a part of you can survive death with memories and can interact with the world in all ways, it's hard to accept that final leap that "But it's totally impossible for the arbitrary marking of 'life' to be applied again to those that are 'dead'".
I agree with most of your reasoning, except for the final step.

If the most knowledgeable and best informed people are the ones best equipped to attempt to raise the dead (and thus make a Liminal instead), and they have access to thousand year old ghosts who have been summoned to consult on such matters many times, I'd expect at least some of them to come to the conclusion that holy crap, there is no evidence to point to even partial success, maybe I should just summon a neomah and order in tonight.

Compare it with martial arts or demon summoning or thaumaturgy or prayer, where you have a long history of practice being rewarded, building towards the state of the art today.

That doesn't mean NOBODY will keep trying, just like people keep trying cold fusion or whatever, but the number of cold fusion guys is going to be small compared to the number of guys using, I dunno, solar panels. It seems to me that they're all the same cut of obsessed out-of-touch yet also knowledgeable and puissant savant, the "mad scientist" trope if you will.

And that's what I'm complaining about : the small number of very samey-feeling origin stories.
(This is IMHO a consequence of the impossibility of resurrection, but it might also be just a limitation of my imagination.)

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Valhawk posted:

Have they apologized for their insanely offensive preview and their toxic response yet? Because that's pretty much a pre-requisite before they get a dime of my money.
Sorta, kinda, not really:

Project Update #23 posted:

But before we get to our usual Milestones breakdown, we need to address the concerns that the Abyssals Preview raised after we posted it. We're extremely sorry that the intent of the Charms was not clear and that the descriptions did not convey the powers to such an extent as to make readers upset. The Lover Clad in the Raiment of Tears's Charms were written as they were to emulate the truly evil actions she is capable of, but it is clear from the comments here and across the internet that we were not clear in exactly what those evils were. After reading through them with the concerns of others as our guide, as opposed to our intentions, we can see how some folks were appalled at what was presented. Rest assured that we are listening to ALL of the feedback and are adjusting the text to create the interpretation of the Charms that we did intend. In the spirit of further clarification, I give you this message from the Devs:

As it turns out, concept thumbnails don't communicate as much detail as full Charm writeups, and some people wanted clarification on the style and intent of a couple of the Charm ideas in the recent Abyssals preview. Without further ado, we're happy to clarify the idea behind those Charms here:

Frozen Watchfire Embrace

Frozen Watchfire Embrace lets an Abyssal manage multiple lovers at once, while maintaining her parasitism, and also causing them to boil with lust for her. Those apparitions are not for rape. They are for haunting, and seduction. They will be insistent, terrifying, and seductive, but ultimately only the dark lusts and passions of the target will allow these phantoms to do what their master has bid. They take the deathknight's paramour down the road to damnation. By giving in, said lover knows they are giving in to something dark and terrible, yet incredibly desirable. There's no force involved, only haunting seduction.

Black Rose Blooming

You shroud yourself in the unearthly perfection of the grave, achieving a beauty beyond the ken of the mortal world. Pale figures and moaning shadows, ephemera drawn from the Underworld by your deathly allure, rustle at the eaves, blow past the windows, and press their hands and lips to the doors of your abode, whispering your name, whispering for someone to let them in.

On the road at night, a lone traveler might find herself meeting a rider with skin like white orchids and a perfect symmetry of form and figure. He seems a romantic icon from another world, and as he asks her name, restless shades flit through the trees, creep into the road, and touch his legs and his horse with aching, possessive awe. He brushes them aside as he helps the traveler onto the back of his horse and takes off into the night, the phantoms riding in his wake, not quite daring to call out his forbidden, forsaken name. Neither woman nor rider are seen again, not in that region.

Abyssal tone

Exalted doesn't tend to pull punches when describing ugly things in its setting, or to sugar-coat the excesses, vices, or atrocities of its heroes. This makes striking an appropriate tone when talking about the specifically awful parts of the game—such as a monster like the Lover Clad in the Raiment of Tears—a careful balancing act. To be clear, the Abyssal Exalted and their Deathlord creators delve into some very dark themes at times, but to be equally clear, Exalted is supposed to be fun to play. We appreciate and are considering the great feedback we've gotten as a result of the latest preview.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Oligopsony posted:

Sorta, kinda, not really:

Them doubling down like a bunch of unbelievably tone-deaf idiots was part of the whole "toxic-response" thing I mentioned.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Valhawk posted:

Them doubling down like a bunch of unbelievably tone-deaf idiots was part of the whole "toxic-response" thing I mentioned.

I sort of assume at this point they're just gonna set the whole mess aside until they start gearing up for the Abyssals hardback.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Attorney at Funk posted:

I sort of assume at this point they're just gonna set the whole mess aside until they start gearing up for the Abyssals hardback.

That's not nearly good enough, considering that last we heard they doubled down on it. So, none of my money for them, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Valhawk posted:

That's not nearly good enough, considering that last we heard they doubled down on it. So, none of my money for them, I guess.

Yeah, I don't blame you.

• Locked thread