Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
For Merchant Prince:
Finanancial is spelled wrong in the alignments (it should be finanananancialal).

Otherwise it looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
To the Inverse World backers, the first draft of The Golem has been sent out! I will get the Collector out as soon as it is finished.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

gnome7 posted:

To the Inverse World backers, the first draft of The Golem has been sent out! I will get the Collector out as soon as it is finished.

Yes, being food for the party is an advanced move! I love it!

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
I'm playing as a Metamorph in a game I'm in on these forums(it's a pretty awesome class, by the way.) and,Considering that the way the Metamorph functions is that it absorbs the organic material and life of whatever it eats, I wanted to represent the idea that he's extremely difficult to kill completely.

I was thinking of essentially using the Revolving Black Gates move out of the Immortal compendium class. Except with the caveat that I'd have to use 1 morph in order to activate it when my character dies. I'm thinking this would be a level 2-5 move.

What do you guys think?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Spending 1-morph to be immune to death seems a little too much. Why not a houserule where Carnal Feast lets you recover some hitpoints?

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Perhaps if it takes up all of their currently held morph? Or it was a 6-10 move. I just really like the idea of a monster that can get up after it looks like it was killed. If that sounds overpowered, I can definitely just drop the idea completely.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 30, 2013

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Its not a bad idea. If you want a move like it I think it could probably be done.

Defensive Hibernation
If you are dying, instead of rolling your Last Breath you may instead elect to enter a state of suspended animation. Your allies may revive you by either bringing you a healing potion or a something meeting the criteria for Carnal Feast which is consumed in the process of reawakening. Unfortunately doing this is incredibly taxing and you take -1 ongoing until you can make camp and rest.

Does this seem reasonable?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Hello, everyone! I'm concluding my narration of the first session of the The Faustian Bargain Bin campaign. I've not caught up on the thread yet, and am still ~700 posts behind, so if you've addressed me before now, I'll get to your question eventually (sorry!)

Wow, it has taken me a long time to finish this! I'm sorry about the delay. We've actually played two sessions since! Hopefully, the conclusion is worth the wait.
If you missed one of the other parts, you can find them here:
Part 1.
Part 2A.
Part 2B.
Part 3A
Part 3B

Our cast of characters:
Me, the GM.
Sir Finnigan (retired) the fighter.
Dodge, the thief.
Anagram, the namer.
Edwin, the bard.
Faustus, the warlock,
... and his servitor, the Lady in Yellow, whom I have dubbed "Chrysanthemum."

--- Part 4, the conclusion: "A plan never survives contact with the enemy--" "--You can say that again."

As you may remember, the party has been trying to acquire the Blight Orb to topple the agricultural economy of an enemy nation to end an overlong, bloody war. We left off with the party prepared to set out from the elven city and return to betray their bargain with the mongrel-men because they got a better deal from the elves (as weird as those guys were).
The deal:
* Remove the mongrel-men threat,
* Take the Blight Orb far, far away from elven lands,
* Leave the enemy city in the elves' care.

The elves would wait behind for 1 hour and then assault the mongrel-men from the outside under cover of the party's distraction inside, meet up with them in the mongrel-man throne room and, jointly, wipe out the mongrels once and for all.

As the party descended back into the depths of the cave, they passed the main cavern and the trapped hall. As they entered the mechanical bull's room, Sir Finnigan asks everybody to hold up a second. He walks into the alcove where the bull had been returned and was now in various stages of being repaired. Finnigan walked over and took one of the oil bladders, like the one that spilled all over him the previous day, and slipped it into his backpack.

"Beltath Oil, secured," Finnigan says.

Dodge asks him, "How do you know that's Beltath Oil?"

You see, Finnigan had inquired in the elven city about a set of self-retracting maile. The elves said they could make him some if he could acquire some Beltath Oil for them. When he asked where he could acquire such an oil, the elves told him of one such location, far away, but Finnigan had come up with a better plan.

"Well," Edwin pipes in, putting the pieces together, "we've established that this was an elven city once, from the columns and stone work. We know from the elven armor smith that these mechanical guardians were of ancient elven make due to their armored plating. And we also know that the elves used Beltath Oil in their machines in ancient times. Seems about right to me."

The party nods, impressed, and we move on.

The party approaches the barricade where they met the most mongrel resistance before, and see that it's been fortified in the absense of mechanical guardians.

The mongrel-men greet the party, and ask if their task of wiping out the elves was successful. The party says it was and asks to speak to the tribe leader. The mongrels lead the party through the labyrinth of tunnels to the throne room.

The throne room is a huge casm with the only entrance being the small ledge with a wooden bridge leading out to the hanging, hollowed out stalactite where the Blight Orb and throne room resides. The bridge, Dodge noted earlier, is secretly lined with alchemists' fire, which can be triggered from a cable under the throne somewhere.

As the party enters, they cross the bridge and are stopped just on the other side in front of the mongrel-leader. The tribe leader, a full-sized humanoid figure, was cloaked in a dirty brown robe similar to those of his shorter clanmates. He bore a large, golden-tipped spear which rested against his arm as he sat lazily on the throne.

"Come forth, bear to me the shattered remains of the elves' Bright Orb as proof of your deeds, as agreed," he said in a dry, interested tone.

"Where are those elves?" Everyone at the table asks. "Shouldn't they be here?"

"It seems like it's been at least an hour now, but there's no sign of them," I reply.

Sir Finnigan, his player gulping, reached into his bag and produced a wrapped bundle and stepped forward onto the throne platform. As the mongrel-leader leaned in, finigan opened the bundle revealing an intact vial of alchemists fire.

"What is the meaning of--" The mongrel-leader began.

-- and Finnigan flung the vial at the mongrel-leader's face, blasting his hood back and revealing to the party a glimpse of the mongrel-leader's concealed features. They were startled to see an elven face; or, at least, what was once an elven face. Now, his skin was dry and cracked as if made of stone and from within the cracks burned an orange fire. Green, crystalline growths were visible on his face. It was as if he had been transformed somehow.

"Kill them!" the mongrel-leader shouted, his voice dry like a summer wind, and his followers lept to action.

So did the party.

Dodge dropped to his knee and severed the hidden cable leading to the alchemist's fire under the bridge, securing a way for their backup to arrive (if they ever did arrive) and an escape if they needed it. Then he started throwing daggers into the eye-sockets of the attacking mongrel-men.

Faustus and Chrysanthemum drew their weapons and stood back-to-back as the mongrels closed in, choosing their targets carefully.

Edwin bradished his rapier and began to hum The Ballad of Sir Finnigan, chiming in with new lyrics every few moments as the battle progressed.

Anagram pointed a finger directly at the mongrel-leader, bellowing out, "gently caress YOU!" as he rolled his curse with Invective (10+).

Sir Finnigan drew out his own greatspear, and began to circle and trade jabs with the mongrel-leader.

The mongrel-men stepped out from behind walls with crossbows, some lept upon the party with small swords, and two dressed in voodoo fetishes brandished staves carved with runes.

One stave, when swung, sent arcs of lightning leaping across the ground in a line, doing damage to anything they touched. The other stave summoned winds that could blow people from their feet. The latter was swung at Edwin and blew him nearly off the edge of the hanging platform down to the swirling whirlpool a hundred feet below. He barely caught the edge with his fingers, and hauled himself back up.

Edwin noticed, at this point, that no one was paying attention to him after he had been blown off the edge. They also weren't paying attention to the Blight Orb, which was sitting unguarded upon the dais. He snuck around behind the action, attempting to get to it.

Faustus, seeing the danger that the mongrel witch-doctors presented, carefully aimed and took out the one holding the wind-staff with a bolt to the eye.

As the wind staff clattered to the stone at his feet, two other mongrel-men immediately stopped what they were doing, eyed each-other warily, and then simultaneously lept upon the staff and started rolling around on the ground, fighting for it. One of them prevailed and, standing upright, swung it just as lethally as his predecessor, sending dangerous gusts of wind to challenge Chrysanthemum.

Faustus scratched his chin and mused "Interesting..."

The mongrel-leader knocked Finnigan down onto his back. Finnigan, seeing an opportunity, slid on his back along the ground slightly, better positioning his enemy. As the mongrel-king raised his spear to strike down at Finnigan, Finnigan lashed out his his boot, kicking the enemy spearman off balance and forcing him to step backwards, dangerously close to the sheer drop above the water below.

Anagram, seeing his chance, called upon the earth spirit once more. This time, he only rolled well enough to get one thing off his list. He chose "Do what I want," forgoing maintained control and allowing nature to exact a price for the request. And what did he request?

"Shear off that section of the platform that the mongrel-king is standing on."

Cracks spider-webbed outward from the edge of the platform, circling around the mongrel-leader. As he realized what was happening, his eyes grew wide and he reared back, readying a leap to cross over the cracks to the safer portion of the platform before the floor gave-way.

As he did, he took a dagger to the throat.

"Bulls-eye!" Dodge exclaimed.

The cracks completed their circuit around the mongrel-leader's area, and without ceremony, it simply fell straight down. Finnigan, who knew what was happening, had drawn out a rope, and at the last moment, threw a lasso down after the mongrel-leader's fancy spear. He managed to barely catch it just before the last of the rope played out.

The mongrel leader tumbled, silently screaming through the dagger in his throat, as he plummeted to the swirling water below. A huge bellow of hissing steam and a cracking of stone retorted up from below as he disappeared below the waves.

Unlike the mongrel-leader, though, Nature was not finished. She had a price to exact for her service, and an able earth spirit to exact it.

The cracks returned and oriented directly toward Finnigan, who was still prone on the ground holding a lasso.

Faustus saw what was happening, and I could practically see a light bulb come on over his player's head. "Hold on..." he said, and glanced down at his sheet to be sure he had read something correctly.

"The mongrel-men appear to use objects, or totems, as signs of office. The death of a witch-doctor passed the staff, causing them to fight over who the next witch-doctor would be. They clearly hold the tribe-leader in the highest respect... So, I hold out my hand and form an illusory replica of the tribe-leader's golden-tipped spear. Clearly, that must be their greatest desire."

The spear flashes into existance, and Faustus hauls back and hurls it in between Finnigan and the oncoming crack.

Three mongrel-men all see the spear embed its tip into the stone, clearly no longer held by the former tribe-leader. They leap upon it in a frenzy, biting and clawing for posession of the sign of office.

The crack works its way around them on both sides, cutting through the stone platform below, before it joins with itself on the other side. The section of platform with the three mongrel-men shatters free and falls down, down to the swirling rapids below; taking them with it. This claiming of life seems to have paid Nature's price, and the spirit's presence is felt no more.

Edwin grabs the Blight Orb from the dais, and feels a sickening energy ripple up his arm. He pulls back, and grabs a satchel to scoop up the object, storing it safely away.

Finnigan hauls up his dangling rope, retrieves the spear from the end of it, and claims lordship over the remaining mongrel-tribe.

... Just as the elves burst in through the cavern entrance and ready bows.

"Nice timing, assholes," Dodge mumbles under his breath.

---

As the party prepared to return to the capital city of An'Adack, victorious in their quest, Anagram leaned in to Faustus and said, "How did you know that claiming another life would balance the scales for Nature?"

"It was just a hunch, but a life for a life, right?" Faustus replied.

"All the same, that was really a clever move," Dodge added.

"Oh, come on!" Fausus replied, jovially, "Three mongrel-men for a party member? An easy trade. I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin."

---

So, do you guys remember how Edwin, the Bard, had a bond to Sir Finnigan to write his ballad? And after making up some silly lyrics on the fly during the beginning of the game, I suggested he write them down? Well, he got on our private forums the next day and posted this:

Edwin the Bard posted:

The Ballad of Sir Finnigan

Twas Autumn, in the chilly North,
When Brave Sir Finnigan set forth,
From An'Adak he rode through the cold,
Seeking out the weapon long fortold,

In the forest a single goblin flown,
told Sir Finnegan that he was not alone,
Set upon by the goblin Horde,
Sir Finnigan met their goblin Lord,

Not with blades, did they duel,
but with words and threats most cruel,
Until at last, they did relent,
and the horde set forth, with ill intent,

Upon his enemies, Finnigan did set this fiend,
For upon their greed, he had leaned,
Quickly southward did they ride,
The Brave Knight's enemies to divide,

With the danger now dispersed,
Into the pit he submersed,
Where the Labyrinth Gate he found,
and through a trapp'd hallway he wound,

When the foolish gates denied him access,
Without delay did he through them process,
For but a moment they had lasted,
As if from feathers they were crafted,

Once inside the foul maze,
there came a monster from the haze,
A beast of claw and steel,
which no injury could feel,

It's mighty charge he endured,
Then with it's ring secured,
the Brave Sir Finnigan upon the beast did leap,
and with his spear, the beast he did reap,

With a single mighty stroke,
the great beast he broke,
As upon the floor it crumbled,
The darkness in the hall, it rumbled,

Two horrors he did meet that time,
their mouths twisted like an ancient mime,
bodies crafted wrong and wicked,
and deathly poison their blades emitted,

Bravely sir Finnigan met his foes,
whose speed kept him on his toes,
yet even monsters such as these,
could not bring him to his knees,

With skill and calm sublime,
He cut them down, two in time,
To see more shadows sinister,
which the halls did whisper,

Arrows they launched true and clear,
And though sure they pass'd near,
none could touch his mighty frame,
yet still I could not doubt their aim,

As he fell upon them true,
away into the night they flew,
but with his blades well aimed,
each foe was surely maimed,

Others on the floor before him fell,
begging for his claim to tell,
Of the Ancient Weapon he did speak,
And demanded from these ones so weak,

To their lord they did bring him,
This figure rob'd, dark, and grim,
A deal was offered, to strike his foes,
A plan hatched, as our well Knight knows,

To the elves he was sent to slay,
Instead he went for peace and parlay,
And returned the morn with greater might,
Given by the elves to make dark to light,

The rob'd one revealed himself in battle,
For elf he was, and against he did prattle,
But deep and dark within, an evil burned,
And to Sir Finnigan in battle he turned,

A Fool he, for Finnigan was strong,
And as sure as I write this song,
The elf from the cliffs did he throw,
to dash upon the rocks below

The darken'd horde did then bow,
And to his service they did vow,
Finnigan took then the weapon old,
As in ancient prophecy foretold,

And with it's might, Victory was nigh,
Before him, Lou'Essana sure to cry,
For against the Brave Sir Finnigan,
No chance have any mortal men.

-Excerpt from the Epic of Sir Finnigan
by Edwyn the Extraordinary

Thanks for reading, everybody! It was a great time. I'd love to hear your responses, and I'll pass them along to the party!

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 11, 2013

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

unzealous posted:

Its not a bad idea. If you want a move like it I think it could probably be done.

Defensive Hibernation
If you are dying, instead of rolling your Last Breath you may instead elect to enter a state of suspended animation. Your allies may revive you by either bringing you a healing potion or a something meeting the criteria for Carnal Feast which is consumed in the process of reawakening. Unfortunately doing this is incredibly taxing and you take -1 ongoing until you can make camp and rest.

I like this a lot, actually. It doesn't look unbalanced or anything crazy and it adds a lot of cool story opportunities. Thanks :)

You also made the Metamorph class, right? So double thanks :D

Edit: I think instead of allies, it should be:

"You may be revived by either being brought a health potion or something meeting the criteria for Carnal Feast"

Because that leaves the idea of a third party reviving someone.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 30, 2013

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Blasphemeral posted:

Thanks for reading, everybody! It was a great time. I'd love to hear your responses, and I'll pass them along to the party!

Have you had the chance to run another session since then?

Just curious.

It seems like your players had a lot of fun being clever. Did they think they were putting one over on you? Were they actually? And how did you feel about that?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Glazius posted:

Have you had the chance to run another session since then?

Just curious.

It seems like your players had a lot of fun being clever. Did they think they were putting one over on you? Were they actually? And how did you feel about that?

Yeah, we've played twice since with slightly different group combinations.

I enjoy my players surprising me with cleverness as much as they seem to like doing it. The do actually surprise me relatively often, and it's awesome.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Lemon Curdistan posted:

A spell compendium for the Wizard/Cleric is a really bad idea. Much like D&D, their strength lies in being able to magic their way out of situations. They may not be good in direct combat but that's not the point; their magic is invaluable. Giving them more spells (and thus more versatility) only serves to make them more powerful, which they don't currently need.

The spell list is really goddamned anemic though, even considering the way spells work. And the Mage is way more versatile/powerful than the Wizard or Cleric. Only thing that keeps it from going into crazytown is a gentleman's agreement and/or deeply ingrained risk aversion.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

unzealous posted:

Defensive Hibernation

It's not a bad idea as a move, but I'm not a big fan of how it makes you unable to do anything during it. I'd honestly rather take my Last Breath and have interesting things happen instead of sit around and do nothing for a while.

As for a spell compendium, you're still stuck assigning them before you head out to adventure and are limited by your spell points. More spells is perfectly fine, but as a base weakness to Vancian casting you still have to predict the future or get really inventive with your spells, and the latter should definitely be encouraged. So long as people don't go making a bunch of extremely general and broad use spells, I don't see a problem with more of them.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MadRhetoric posted:

The spell list is really goddamned anemic though, even considering the way spells work.

That's kind of the point - anything else you can just do via Ritual.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That's kind of the point - anything else you can just do via Ritual.

Ritual takes a lot more time though, with a lot more drawbacks.

I'm not talking a full spell compendium, but I'd love maybe 1 more offensive and 1 more utility/defensive spell per class per level, and I don't think that's too much to ask for. Especially if they're iconic ones.

Hell, maybe a class based on preparing spells but the player has a list of things they can choose from to mix and match effects (Like old school Arena: TES)

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
The golem is rad. Makes me want to play the Kool Aid Man.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm finally getting ready to play DW. I only have one more question.

When is XP gained?

I've found so far:

When you roll 6<

When a move says so

When you resolve a bond

Is there anything else? XP for finishing storylines? XP for finding treasure? There's a sentence in the book that implies the treasure thing, but doesn't say anything about how.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
At the end of a session you trigger the End of Session move, where you ask three questions and mark XP for each you can say "yes" to:
-Did we learn something new and important about the world?
-Did we overcome a notable monster of enemy?
-Did we loot a memorable treasure?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

AlphaDog posted:

I'm finally getting ready to play DW. I only have one more question.

When is XP gained?

I've found so far:

When you roll 6<

When a move says so

When you resolve a bond

Is there anything else? XP for finishing storylines? XP for finding treasure? There's a sentence in the book that implies the treasure thing, but doesn't say anything about how.

There is an End of Session move, which is the primary source of XP:

The Basic Moves posted:

End of Session
When you reach the end of a session,
choose one your bonds that you feel is resolved (completely explored, no longer relevant, or otherwise). Ask the player of the character you have the bond with if they agree. If they do, mark XP and write a new bond with whomever you wish.

Once bonds have been updated look at your alignment. If you fulfilled that alignment at least once this session, mark XP. Then answer these three questions as a group:

> Did we learn something new and important about the world?
> Did we overcome a notable monster or enemy?
> Did we loot a memorable treasure?

For each “yes” answer everyone marks XP.

Otherwise, yes. You mark XP from the End of Session move, whenever you roll a 6-, or if a move tells you to. Those are the three ways to gain XP in this system.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Well, gently caress, I somehow forgot about that even though I've read it.

Reading comprehension at an all time low, I guess.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah the Golem looks cool, and is enough for me to be interested in trying a * World game again. We should have an all, or mostly, golem party. I want to build a fire golem, grabbing the mechanic's suit at 2nd. There was also talk last night of a majin buu, or kool aid man, golem. It seems so versatile that you could probably have 4 golems each with a different composition and they would feel rather different.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gnome7 posted:

Otherwise, yes. You mark XP from the End of Session move, whenever you roll a 6-, or if a move tells you to. Those are the three ways to gain XP in this system.

Don't forget alignment "moves," which aren't actually phrased at all like a move but still give you 1XP each session if you do what they say at least once each session.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
Since xp is not scarce and levelling in DW is really easy, I've been experimenting with using it as a commodity for some magical items on my lands of the dead supplement. This can be fictionally supported by sacrificing a powerful memory or a week of your life. I don't know if the idea could support a whole compendium class but it seems like fertile ground when you're dealing with death and its domain.

The Black Compass
A large, indestructible flat disc made out of an unrecognisable metal. It is always cold to the touch, even if thrown into the heart of a forge fire. When struck, or hit on something, it makes no sound. The disc is perfectly flat and smooth, apart from a small indent in the centre, large enough for a single drop of liquid.

When you sacrifice a single point off your max HP, and let a single drop of your blood fall into the well of the Black Compass, choose an afterlife you wish to travel to, and roll+Con. The drop of blood wil flow out of the centre towards the nearest gateway that will take you there. On a 10+, choose 1. On a 7-9, choose 2. On a miss, all 3:

It will take a long, arduous journey to reach the Gateway.
The Gateway is hidden by powerful wards and magics.
You will have to strike a costly bargain with something dangerous on your journey.

Moonshade Brew
When you drink the brew made from the flowers of the rare moonshade vine that grows in secret places where the barrier between the Shade and the Living are thin, and sleep there during the dark of the moon, roll+Con. You will pass into a deep slumber. Your spirit will drift free of your body and enter the Shade, where you can see and interact with the souls and other creatures in the Shade. *On a 10+, choose 1. *On a 7-9, you choose 1 and the GM chooses 1. *On a miss, the GM chooses 2.

A spirit of The Shade possesses your body.
There are side effects, choose a debility until you find a magical cure.
You bring something back with you.

Oar of Bones
With it’s Oar of Bones, The Ferryman rows it’s way back and forth across the River of Bones, taking Souls to their Afterlife. The oar is a long staff made of bleached bone, flattening out into a wide flat plane. It is heavier that it should be, and cool to the touch. It is covered in intricate engravings, telling the stories of all the souls that have been ferried under it’s power.

When you bring the Oar to the remains of someone it has ferried across the River of Bones, and speak their true name etched on the Oar, their spirit must answer the call. Roll+Cha. *On a 10+, ask the soul 3 questions and it will answer them truthfully and to the best of it’s knowledge. *On a 7-9, ask it 2 questions. *On a miss, the soul’s answers will be truthful, but may be misleading.

The Silver Star
The Silver Star can take many forms, but it is always of brightly gleaming untarnished silver. It is indestructible, and lighter than it’s size suggests. The star is kept in a dark iron box that suppresses it’s magic. When the Silver Star is removed from it’s box, all who are near can speak only the truth.

The Red Right Hand
A severed right hand, coated in slick red blood that never dries. It is said to belong to the grey Prince, a being from beyond the stars that brought death and decay to the world at the beginning of time. For the price of a piece of your soul, you can use the hand to tear the veil between the living and any land of the dead, but you will gain the attention of the Grey Prince, who tirelessly seeks his lost Hand.

The hand can tear an opening in the veil between the land of the living and a land of the dead. Living and dead can pass both ways through the opening. When you slash at reality with the Red Right Hand, say which land of the dead you made an opening to, and roll+Wis. *on a 10+, choose 1. *On a 7-9, choose 2. *On a miss, all 3:

The opening will not close
You lose a piece of your soul: lose 3 XP.
The Grey Prince has noticed you, and He is coming...

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Don't forget alignment "moves," which aren't actually phrased at all like a move but still give you 1XP each session if you do what they say at least once each session.

...right, which is included in the End of Session move I quoted. It's the middle paragraph. I didn't forget it, it is right there.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Double post, but: For those of you who backed Inverse World, The Collector is now in your inboxes.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Looks really cool! I know a player who'd love to get her hands on it.

(it's 'camaraderie' though :))

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Boing posted:

Looks really cool! I know a player who'd love to get her hands on it.

(it's 'camaraderie' though :))

I've yet to check the Collector out, but going from what Boing said, the Captain's Take Charge move should say "When you rein in a group of miscreants..."

You can be pretty proud of yourself when the only criticisms I've got about Inverse World classes thus far are spelling mistakes.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens
So I've eagerly introduced this game to my father and my sister, both of whom have very different expectations and experiences with this hobby.

My dad, who's in his early 60s, has never played RPGs before this year. When I was a kid, he frequently played Hero Quest (Milton Bradley), so he gets the gist of it. His first game was WFRP 3, which he liked but he disliked feeling powerless as he waited for his next turn and so much stuff was going on. So he LOVES the simplicity and fast-paced narrative side to DW.

My sister, who's play several games, has always hated binary pass/fail systems, because it meant nothing happened, on top of actual failure. She loves the DW dice mechanic and how even a failure grants you immediate choices and actions to make. It also helps that failure gives you XP, heh, 'cause she has notorious bad luck rolling dice.

Next: the other half of my regular players. My main hook is to refer to the flexibility of WFRP 3's "Perform a Stunt" card. In a way, Hero Moves are sort of like multiple versions of that card for different contexts. I think that they'll like that a lot, since that single action card was their favorite aspect of WFRP.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Gambler
When you make a bet you can’t afford to lose, you may take this move when you next level up:

Heads I Win, Tails You Lose
When you rig a game of chance, roll +cha. On a 10+, everyone’s fooled. On a 7-9, choose one.
• You’ll need a distraction
• You garner suspicion, but nobody can prove anything
• The prize is less than you had hoped for

Once you have taken Heads I Win, Tails You Lose, you may take any of the following moves in place of an advance:

Ante Up
You and those who you face in contests of chance or skill can wager abstract things such as ‘your skill with the blade’ or ‘a year of your life.’

Double Or Nothing
If you would fail a last breath, you can cheat Death Itself and get away unscathed. However, the Reaper notes your transgression. If you would ever take another last breath, it is considered an automatic failure.

Ask Lady Luck
When you make an important decision via (as far as you know) unbiased coinflip, take +1 forward.

It’s The Honest Ones You Have To Watch Out For
When you use your reputation to try to get inside somebody’s head, roll +cha. On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1.
• They are confused or distracted for a brief moment
• They let slip something they didn’t mean to
• They don’t realize that you’re up to something

Fatespinner
When you fulfill what is destined, you may take this move when you next level up:

Prophecy
At the beginning of each session, work with your GM to come up with a vague and symbolically-worded prophecy. If, in the course of the game, a prophecy comes true for a character or a character brings that prophecy to pass, they take +1 forward.

Once you have taken Prophecy, you may take any of the following moves in place of an advance:

Turn The Hand of Fate
You may target anything within sight range with the Defend move, so long as you can come up with plausible coincidences that would achieve your desired effects. When you do this, roll +wis instead of +con and replace the ‘redirect an attack from the thing you defend to yourself’ clause with ‘redirect an attack from the thing you defend to the closest ally.’

Read The Currents
When you take a few minutes with your divination ritual of choice to read the shifting winds of fate, roll +wis. On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1.
• There is no uncertainty in what you see.
• The knowledge you gain is obviously and immediately applicable.
• You do not disturb the strands of fate.

Eternal Recurrence
Given several hours in a safe place, you can draw your allies with you into a vision of past lives to gain insight into a present situation.
Before beginning your vision, choose an objective:
• Learning how you can thwart a person or entity.
• Seeking guidance for a difficult decision.
• Learning how to avert a specific tragedy or crisis.
If your quest is successful, everyone who joined you for the vision takes +1 ongoing as long as they are specifically acting on what they have learned. Though the circumstances of your lives may be different, you may use the same character sheets with regard to stats and moves.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ante Up is fantastic, I really like the Gambler. I'm a sucker for any move that lets you interact with the abstract, though.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Prophecy needs a little more oomph, I think. It's hard to justify taking that in place of a class advanced move, except for flavor.

EscortMission
Mar 4, 2009

Come with me
if you want to live.

TheDemon posted:

Prophecy needs a little more oomph, I think. It's hard to justify taking that in place of a class advanced move, except for flavor.

I agree, this is the sort of thing that you could be straight up marking EXP for. Its a cool idea but even Discern Realities can get you multiple +1 forwards.

EscortMission
Mar 4, 2009

Come with me
if you want to live.
While I'm wrestling with Inkscape to get Beguiler on a sheet, I wanted to throw out another rough draft of it before I start really getting my hands dirty. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1017317/The%20Beguiler.pdf

I'm also working on two other ideas that might be half-baked but I wanted to get some thoughts on.

Part Relm, part Willy Wonka, part Van Gogh, the idea behind the Visionary is a class that makes things that aren't necessarily machines or inventions. Mechanically they have a broad list of things they can make their art do, and are rewarded for "artistic" behavior by getting to make their art do more things. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1017317/The%20Visionary.pdf

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, the idea behind the Warmage is a straightforward 3.5-style blaster mage that rolls huge messes of d6s all the time, but remains balanced damagewise with the other classes. Influences include Apocalypse Now and Team Fortress 2's Demoman and Soldier classes. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1017317/The%20Warmage.pdf

All the names are obviously playtest names, as much as I'd like to keep "Killed Fiddy Men" there's probably a less jokey name for it.

EscortMission fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 2, 2013

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

EscortMission posted:

I agree, this is the sort of thing that you could be straight up marking EXP for. Its a cool idea but even Discern Realities can get you multiple +1 forwards.

Would the +1 forward along with marking xp make the move worth it? The only alternative I can think of is +1 ongoing as long as you're acting within the dictates of the prophecy or something but that could get bonkers fast.

EscortMission
Mar 4, 2009

Come with me
if you want to live.

Androc posted:

Would the +1 forward along with marking xp make the move worth it? The only alternative I can think of is +1 ongoing as long as you're acting within the dictates of the prophecy or something but that could get bonkers fast.

I guess the question is "what are you taking +1 forward or ongoing to?" Are you getting a bonus to fulfill the prophecy? The move is triggered by fulfilling it though. Are you being rewarded for fulfilling it? Why?

Does this move reward you for fulfilling your destiny or does it help you fulfill it? An alternate version might be "you take +1 forward whenever you either act to bring the prophecy to fruition or fight against it," which could bring an entire "destiny does not control us" feel to the class.

Its a neat idea, it just needs tuning.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

EscortMission posted:

I guess the question is "what are you taking +1 forward or ongoing to?" Are you getting a bonus to fulfill the prophecy? The move is triggered by fulfilling it though. Are you being rewarded for fulfilling it? Why?

Does this move reward you for fulfilling your destiny or does it help you fulfill it? An alternate version might be "you take +1 forward whenever you either act to bring the prophecy to fruition or fight against it," which could bring an entire "destiny does not control us" feel to the class.

Its a neat idea, it just needs tuning.

That's an interesting angle to take on it. My original intent was basically to represent the sort of cryptic old man prophecy that seems like nonsense but then suddenly provides a crucial insight at a key moment (see: the mirror scene in Enter The Dragon). I like the idea of being able to go against it, though. So, I guess the specific actions that are affected would probably be best worded as 'attempts to fulfill or subvert the prophecy.'

e: current wording:

quote:

At the beginning of each session, work with your GM to come up with a vague and symbolically-worded prophecy. Attempts to fulfill or subvert the prophecy are made at +1. If the attempt is successful, both you and the person who fulfilled or subverted the prophecy mark xp (you only mark 1 if you fulfill your own prophecy). A prophecy can only be fulfilled or subverted once per session.

Androc fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 2, 2013

EscortMission
Mar 4, 2009

Come with me
if you want to live.

Androc posted:

At the beginning of each session, work with your GM to come up with a vague and symbolically-worded prophecy. Attempts to fulfill or subvert the prophecy are made at +1. If the attempt is successful, both you and the person who fulfilled or subverted the prophecy mark xp (you only mark 1 if you fulfill your own prophecy). A prophecy can only be fulfilled or subverted once per session.

Yeah NOW we have a move that sets you up for a Compendium Class.

EscortMission fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 2, 2013

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?
My first game with a different group of friends (ran the Slave Pits 2 hour demo thing), started with them failing every single thing they tried leading to the entire first chamber being on fire and half of them trapped under burning mine supports. It ended with our Druid speaking and parleying with a giant spider which allowed the entire party to ride on its back into the final chamber where our Medic killed the big bad with a bucket full of rocks he'd adopted as his weapon.

This game.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

vulgey posted:

I have a player who would absolutely love this when finished. He's got a bit of a nerd boner for the League of Legends champion Thresh, so this will be right up his alley.

Well, it only took me a month to get around to finishing up this thing (advanced moves are hard and so is getting motivation after finals :saddowns:), but I finally give you the Spirit Catcher v0.9!

I'd still like some feedback if anything sticks out, but I feel pretty confident in how it looks right now. If anything, the Spirit Catcher has a lot of rolled moves in their advances, but there's still a fair enough amount of flat or passive moves that it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Once everything looks okay on the base sheet I'll start looking into making it into a pretty PDF and making a side page with some example Ancient Spirits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?

sentrygun posted:

Well, it only took me a month to get around to finishing up this thing (advanced moves are hard and so is getting motivation after finals :saddowns:), but I finally give you the Spirit Catcher v0.9!

I'd still like some feedback if anything sticks out, but I feel pretty confident in how it looks right now. If anything, the Spirit Catcher has a lot of rolled moves in their advances, but there's still a fair enough amount of flat or passive moves that it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Once everything looks okay on the base sheet I'll start looking into making it into a pretty PDF and making a side page with some example Ancient Spirits.

The guy in my group I mentioned actually played this guy today and loved it. I'll ask him for any feedback on it for you. I'll probably make this up into a play book for our next session if nobody beats me to it :)