Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It surprises me a little that the Wikipedia article for EUIV is still so bare-bones at this point.

fuf posted:

It's around 1500 and I have a big chunk of West Africa, but I'm using up all my manpower just crushing revolts. What's the best way to stabilise the area? And what's the best way to increase manpower? All my plans are delayed for years while I wait for my armies to reinforce.

Is it a good idea to try and stake a claim in North America as early as possible, or focus on Africa for now?

Click on a province and hover over 'Revolt risk'. It's probably still high in those provinces due to the Nationalism modifier, which is something that recently conquered provinces get. This will gradually decrease to zero over time. Their revolt risk is also increased if they are a different religion (that you have low tolerance for). Additionally, overall revolt risk is affected by Stability and various events/decisions.

West Africa really isn't that good of an area to colonize because it's tropical and you get a penalty to your tax income due to I looked it up and it appears that they removed a lot of the financial penalties for tropical provines in Divine Wind. Still better to focus on the Americas, though, it has better trade goods and more high-tax provinces.

If you're having manpower problems and you're not at war, you're probably doing something wrong. Click on individual provinces and look at the Supply Limit. Make sure your army size isn't bigger than that, or you will suffer from attrition. That's actually another downside to tropical provinces: it will add 5 to your army size when it determines if you're exceeding the Supply Limit (i.e. the actual Supply Limit in tropical provinces is the stated Supply Limit-5).

quote:

Should I set up a Centre of Trade in London?

If you can afford it, sure. However, you will get a lot of inflation if you mint too much for too long, so watch out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Chief Savage Man posted:

I go through all that effort to put in post disclaimers and nobody even reads them. I just wonder what happened to that idea.
If I had to guess, they decided that $30/sale was leaving money on the table after considering the number of EU and Paradox fans who will preorder it or buy it on release at any reasonable price. The folks who won't bite at $40 initially can probably be coaxed into it with a 33% off weekend sale just ahead of the release of DLC #1, after all.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

cadmaniak posted:

I just paid £10 for a cinema ticket for a film that lasted 2 hours. I've gotten over 300 hours logged into CK2 at this point, so I'm more than willing to spend £40 on EU4 if it gives me even a tenth of that time.

That's pretty much my metric as well. And 40€ for a flagship title like EU4 is perfectly reasonable, especially since it will probably be 20 by the time the winter sale rolls around.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm interested to see what kind of DLC we'll get for EUIV. It looks like they're already incorporating a lot of stuff from the four EU3 expansions, so any new DLC will be in a pretty different direction from what we saw in the last installment.

For that matter, I wonder what's next for CKII? Personally, I'm hoping for something that focuses on Crusades. I'm close to the end of James Reston Jr.'s excellent "Warriors of God: Richard the Lionheart and Saladin in the Third Crusade" and it's making me wish that Crusades were better represented in-game. They almost always fail in my experience (I think the only time I've ever seen successful ones are when I cheat myself a bunch of money and hire every mercenary on Earth, or after the Mongols show up and destabilize the Mid-east), the system of just handing all the land to the victor seems a bit simplistic, and the Muslims just regroup a couple years later and take it all back anyway.

A few of my ideas:
Some kind of system where opportunistic Muslims are more likely to rebel during a Crusade since the historical First Crusade succeeded in large part due to a fracturing among the Muslim world that I don't really see happening without heavy player intervention (i.e. :ese: x20) or Ilkhanate attack.

The resulting Crusader kingdom is independent, but still with some incentive to the most active Crusader (maybe an auto-ally and a percentage of the Crusader state's tax income?). Unlanded, disgraced, or banished Christian characters can flee to the Crusader kingdom to make a new life, like what happened historically, to vie for a better position in the new land and give the state a better fighting chance with a greater talent pool. Perhaps that scheming bastard brother you've always kept at arms length could end up a successful Duke in the Levant?

A Muslim attack on a Crusader state should cause the Pope to call a defensive Crusade, like the Third Crusade in history (for all the good it did the Kingdom of Jerusalem).

I'm not a coder or developer by any stretch, so maybe these ideas wouldn't work for whatever reason, but I figured I'd throw out a few ideas and see if others have the same issues.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 3, 2013

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
In Vicky 2 with the New Nations Mod, Texas was still independent when the Civil War started. However when the North won (because the south had 0 brigades) Texas was annexed. I didn't see an event and Texas stayed neutral in the war. Is that a bug or is that on purpose?

edit: I should probably ask on the official thread but I figured you guys would know, and I didn't know if it was a NNM thing or a vanilla game thing.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 3, 2013

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
The Crusades before the first major patch really sucked, they were wholly non-collaborative and your entire army would be dead by the time it showed up because of embarked attrition.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
So playing as Belgium in Victoria 2, I have my starting two states as well as 3 colonies. By around 1890 with pretty much all commerce, industry, and military technologies researched, if I try to support a fully funded army of 20 regiments and around 15 ships it just destroys my budget. I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if my own expectations about what I should be able to support are incorrect.

Also, like someone else mentioned a while ago, I can't really keep administrative efficiency at 100% anymore once a few social reforms start getting passed. I have all of the admin efficiency boosting technologies researched, but it's not enough. Is there some way around this?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Kersch posted:

So playing as Belgium in Victoria 2, I have my starting two states as well as 3 colonies. By around 1890 with pretty much all commerce, industry, and military technologies researched, if I try to support a fully funded army of 20 regiments and around 15 ships it just destroys my budget. I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if my own expectations about what I should be able to support are incorrect.

I would like to know this as well, army supply at 10% is killing me (pro-military, bunch of techs).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is still best to group all your forces into one army and then one flank? The latter seems counterintuitive and also like something they would have fixed in a patch.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

Peanut President posted:

In Vicky 2 with the New Nations Mod, Texas was still independent when the Civil War started. However when the North won (because the south had 0 brigades) Texas was annexed. I didn't see an event and Texas stayed neutral in the war. Is that a bug or is that on purpose?

edit: I should probably ask on the official thread but I figured you guys would know, and I didn't know if it was a NNM thing or a vanilla game thing.

I played Texas in NNM a couple of versions ago and didn't have that problem.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Considering it took about $100 to make EU3 remotely fun I think dropping their prices is a magnanimous move on Pdox's part.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
For some reason in Vicky 2 Switzerland decide to repeal and enact prohibition everyday for about 25 years.

Something tells me this isn't normal.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cowcatcher posted:

I would like to know this as well, army supply at 10% is killing me (pro-military, bunch of techs).

You really have to crank up the tariffs to be able to afford running a military as a minor/mid-sized power, I've found. The consolation is that beating on uncivs doesn't really require full maintenance.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I formed Russia in EU3 and managed to become maximum Innovation/Free Subjects/Centralization. Hoooooly poo poo the amount of force and power you can exert as a unified and technological Russia is awe-inspiring/terrifying. I lead the world in 4/5 tech areas reliably, bring in over 1000 net ducats a year (which allows me to literally never worry about money, because no matter what I build I always have thousands in the bank) and can mobilize six figure armies at the drop of a hat. Any time I ever declare war on another power they're instantly hit by three or four other declarations by countries that want in on the action because they know I'm about to absolutely ruin someone.

I've never played an EU3 game all the way through to the end of the game before but I might have to with this one. I'm really curious what's going to happen to the new world, since France, Portugal and Modena all got kicked out of Europe but forged new massive empires in the Americas, with France holding all of Central America and Mexico, Portugal the Thirteen Colonies, and Modena Louisiana and the American interior. I'd really like to see some radical revolutionary poo poo going down there.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

sparatuvs posted:

For some reason in Vicky 2 Switzerland decide to repeal and enact prohibition everyday for about 25 years.

Really bad hangovers, every morning.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I'm interested to see what kind of DLC we'll get for EUIV.

[country] flags pack
[country] advisors pack
[country] diplomats pack
[country] traders pack
[country] early era ships pack
[country] middle era ships pack
[country] late era ships pack
[country] Medieval units pack
[country] Absolutism units pack
[country] Renaissance units pack
[country] Reformation units pack
[country] Revolution units pack
[country] Republican units pack

Chessylite
Jan 21, 2009

Excretus ex fortuna
People give companies like EA credit for it but in reality Paradox were miles ahead of the competition in selling half a game and making me purchase the rest of it in DLC and expansion packs.

If Johan Andersson wasn't so adorable, I would probably be mad about this after ten years.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

V for Vegas posted:

[country] flags pack
[country] advisors pack
[country] diplomats pack
[country] traders pack

After that they will offer a "complete pack" which includes 2 WHOLE infantry skins.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

sparatuvs posted:

That's direct democracy for you.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

For some reason I don't get popups anymore when I win or lose battles even though I never disabled them, how do I turn them back on?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

fuf posted:

Castile is super powerful and borders me in Africa. They keep insulting me, but every time they do I give them a gift to keep the relations up in the hopes they won't declare war. Is this a feasible strategy? Or am I just giving them money for no reason?

For some reason this really amuses me.

"Hey, Poindexter, how's those African colonies working out for you? Stupid nerd, why'd you ever leave your lovely little island?"

"I'm sorry, Castille, here, please take my tax money!"

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

sparatuvs posted:

Only way to simulate prohibition every other day. :colbert:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I've been playing the Ottoman Empire to get my feet wet in HoD and I've some (more) questions.

What's the ideal proportion for the various POPs? Some are obvious, like 1% bureaucrats, 2-4% clergy, 20% of your factory staff being clerks and the rest craftsmen, but what about capitalists and aristocrats?

Also, is it normal that every goddamn crisis is someone trying to give Greece its cores back, the UK saying, "No!", followed by ten free prestige for me? My prestige is huge from a combination of that and beating up nearby uncivs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Aristocrats are just going to happen, I wouldn't worry about how many or few of them you have. Mechanically, the RGO of every province in a state gets a 1.0% Output bonus for every 1.0% Aristocrats as a proportion of the population. If 3.0% of the POPs in a state are Aristocrats, every RGO in the state gets a 3.0% Output bonus.

Capitalists you generally want to keep as few as possible. They act as an Input bonus on factories (although I have no hard numbers), but any income your factories make is spread out over all your Capitalists, so having lots of them will decrease the rate at which they can accumulate cash to spend on projects like more factories and railroads.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

gradenko_2000 posted:

Capitalists you generally want to keep as few as possible. They act as an Input bonus on factories (although I have no hard numbers), but any income your factories make is spread out over all your Capitalists, so having lots of them will decrease the rate at which they can accumulate cash to spend on projects like more factories and railroads.

The Ottomans start with literally no capitalists at all, and I still didn't have any after building a factory in every single state, so I figured I was missing out on their input reduction bonus. Should I micromanage national focus so that I have only one incredibly rich capitalist per state?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gort posted:

The Ottomans start with literally no capitalists at all, and I still didn't have any after building a factory in every single state, so I figured I was missing out on their input reduction bonus. Should I micromanage national focus so that I have only one incredibly rich capitalist per state?

What year is it and how high is your literacy? I've played a lot of countries with hideously low starting literacy and I don't usually see capitalists who get off their fat asses and actually DO something until around 50% literacy, or around 1870.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

V for Vegas posted:

[country] flags pack
[country] advisors pack
[country] diplomats pack
[country] traders pack

Okay, was it podcat or wiz that leaked my secret plan ?

Seriously though, I doubt flags or diplomats/traders pack really work for EU4.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

[country] flags pack
[country] advisors pack
[country] diplomats pack
[country] traders pack

sparatuvs posted:

After that they will offer a "complete pack" which includes 2 WHOLE infantry skins.

Don't forget the "Chronicles" bundle that'll be released afterwords with all of the above, plus an expansion. The "complete pack" will keep its name, though, ensuring much hilarity agony for future threads.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Gort posted:

If you have too few capitalists, the pop becomes vulnerable to being wiped out of some downturn starts forcing capis to demote. So you want to be sure there's enough to serve as a buffer. A few hundred in a given state often works for a start.

As for how to get them, Capitalists can convert from Clerks, Artisans, and Aristocrats. Each has their own factors that influence how likely they are to shift over, but the general trend is that the better educated and more wealthy they are, the better chance they'll put on a tophat and buy shares in a mill.

You can view the logic behind a pop's conversion rates in detail by going to the population tab, and clicking the pop-type icon on the individual pop in question. You'll get a detailed readout of the pop's stats, including their conversion chances for all of their options. Mousing over any of those odds gives a tooltip that lists all the factors influencing their choices.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

August 13th confirmed EU4 release date!

This is only 4 days after my birthday :ohdear:

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
New Vicky 2 patch, fixing a crash bug, adds Oregon to Manifest Destiny and Increased some of the pop promotion limits (which might have changed the bureaucrat 2% limit?).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not sure if this is good advice or not. Capitalists take income proportional to their representation in the state (2% capitalists will take 4% of all the state's factories' profits). Furthermore, capitalists will actually forgo their everyday and luxury needs to contribute money towards projects. They only have to have their life needs fulfilled. So having a large amount of capitalists is good, not only because they can build railroads and build/expand factories faster, but also because they help you liberalize by being much more liberal than aristocrats. That being said, there is a soft cap on the amount of capitalists you can have in each state - POPs will stop promoting to capitalists entirely if you have more than 0.7%.

A_Raving_Loon posted:

As for how to get them, Capitalists can convert from Clerks, Artisans, and Aristocrats. Each has their own factors that influence how likely they are to shift over, but the general trend is that the better educated and more wealthy they are, the better chance they'll put on a tophat and buy shares in a mill.

I think you mean bureaucrats, not aristocrats.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

James The 1st posted:

New Vicky 2 patch, fixing a crash bug, adds Oregon to Manifest Destiny and Increased some of the pop promotion limits (which might have changed the bureaucrat 2% limit?).

R.I.P.

That crash bug was frustrating, though. Nice to get a fix for it so quickly.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Farewell, FCKR; it truly was not meant to be

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
I've been playing Kaiserreich for a while now and just finished a game as Brasil, so I gotta ask what countries have really cool event paths, Does MittleAfrika have cool stuff happen to them because it seems like an interesting country but they end up never really doing anything.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

LordGugs posted:

I've been playing Kaiserreich for a while now and just finished a game as Brasil, so I gotta ask what countries have really cool event paths, Does MittleAfrika have cool stuff happen to them because it seems like an interesting country but they end up never really doing anything.

You can press Portugal for her colonies and probably end up at war with them- if they complain to Berlin, you have a chance to eject Goering and either put in someone less of an rear end in a top hat or go full Syndicalist. Russia's another good choice for plenty of stuff to do, while Japan's good for more open-ended warfare.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus
Do any of you all know if there's a Mac translation of Victoria II Heart Of Darkness in the works? I can't find a clear announcement, and sometimes VP, their Mac partners, are very bad at PR. I finally got around to buying Victoria II and House Divided and have been very pleasantly surprised.

BrotherAdso fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 3, 2013

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
How viable is a Vicky2 game as Switzerland?
I kind of overdid my Ottoman game and it's gotten a tad too easy. The only thing I've not managed yet is form Turkey and I think that's not even possible?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

LordGugs posted:

Uggh. I can answer this question way too well.

You can try to centralize the Austrian Empire. You could play as the German Corporate state in South China and then, after following a certain event path, form the Republic of China or better yet, play as the Religious state (can't remember the name, the neo-Taipangs) . The Indian States are fun, but they don't really have an "ending" yet (there is no real events after unifying India and I yearn for Milites India pack). South Africa has some "imperialist" events and can chose just about any alliance to support after their election events. Mexico has some events that can let you beat up on America and I had a fun game as Nationalist France once, though they don't have many events. You can make a new Caliphate as Turkmenistan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Fister Roboto posted:

I think you mean bureaucrats, not aristocrats.

Last time I checked, Aristocrats had some narrow potential to jump the fence. May be mis-remembering though.

• Locked thread