Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

TNA did absolutely nothing to capitalize on it or use it in any meaningful way.

Counterpoint, The POUNCE! looks like poo poo when Monty Brown did in a four sided ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

jscolon2.0 posted:

Counterpoint, The POUNCE! looks like poo poo when Monty Brown did in a four sided ring.

I'd say that's more a Monty Brown thing than a TNA thing though. TNA wouldn't be clever enough to say "this move would look really cool, but only if you did it in a six-sided ring :haw:"

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I agree that the X-Division was the only part of TNA that benefited from the six-sided ring but on the other hand that was enough to differentiate them enough from WWE that watching TNA was actually fun. I have a lot of good wrestling watching memories from TNA circa 2005-06 just from the X-Division during that period.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
has there ever been a three sided ring?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know but Kevin Nash wrestled a match in a two sided ring. He said it so its true.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

jscolon2.0 posted:

Objection:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Versus the Von Erichs and he had all of them in the Clawhold.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Branching off from an earlier question, when did does the bizarre Fabulous Ones promos originally air, what promotion, and has it ever emerged who came up with the idea?

I do hope they wiped down the exercise equipment. :ohdear:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

gfanikf posted:

I would love to see a reoccurrence or some evolution of the concept for a show on the WWE network...if it ever launches.

I hope that it comes back with different hosts every season so that there can be elitist internet flame wars about who the best hosts were

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

gfanikf posted:

Branching off from an earlier question, when did does the bizarre Fabulous Ones promos originally air, what promotion, and has it ever emerged who came up with the idea?

It was a Memphis thing if memory serves, and Jerry Jarrett (who used to have a big hand in booking) almost assuredly came up with as he was the guy who popularized teams known as "Blowjobs", pretty boy face teams that would do well with the ladies. Rock N Roll Express, the Fabulous Ones, etc Here's a explanation of the thing from a shoot tape review with the Rock n Roll Express

The Rock n Roll Express posted:

Mid-South and Bill Watts- Mid-South was on a serious downswing and, when Lawler and Jarrett went down to examine the territory, they told Watts they needed young, good-looking babyfaces. (Specifically, they asked him “Where are the blowjobs?”, which Watts thought meant REAL blowjobs and not young, good-looking wrestlers who bring in the teeny-bopper girls and, indirectly, the young guys.) Watts watched a few cards while he was in Memphis and had looked at the Fabulous Ones before seeing the Rock and Rolls take on Porkchop Cash and Troy Graham for 30 minutes. After the match was done, he decided that the Rock and Rolls were going to be his new babyface tag team because of Morton’s incredible selling. “He totally flipped the gently caress out!” Watts told Jarrett that the Rock and Rolls were much better than the Fabs due to Morton’s selling and the way Gibson worked the crowd before the hot tag and that it Jarrett wasn’t going to push them, he’d take them. Jarrett then decided to lend them to Watts for six months. At the end of six months, Watts didn’t want to let them go and they didn’t want to go back, so they went back to Memphis and gave notice that they weren’t staying long because they wanted to be in Mid-South. Jarrett wasn’t happy because the Fabulous Ones had left Memphis by that time.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

gfanikf posted:

All those videos were from Memphis (later called CWA) which was run by Jerry Jarrett, and the videos are probably from the early 80s, like 1982-1985. I would imagine Jarrett/Lawler came up with the music videos. My personal favorite is the one the Road Warriors did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q378dI3gLE

edit: gently caress it, and here's Jerry Lawler's Wimpbusters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjgwAfi9eIo

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 3, 2013

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know but Kevin Nash wrestled a match in a two sided ring. He said it so its true.
Of course it's true, but nobody does scaffold matches anymore.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks. You know for some reason I kept expecting it to be from JCP, but somehow Memphis....just makes more sense. I can't say why, but it just does. The videos make (somewhat)more sense in the context of being "Blowjob" attractions. I mean otherwise, it seems like it was just some very bizarre rib.

That Wimpbusters one is hilarious too and far more pleasant to hear than Hawk and Animal. I do want to try and make a gif out of Jimmy Hart floating around via the green screen on the door...that or Macho looked high as poo poo.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 3, 2013

cool-haired luke
May 13, 2012

by T. Finninho

spongeh posted:

yes how dare someone use facts/reality as reason against something :rolleyes:

it was used once, maybe twice. by your logic wwe's 20x20 four sided ring is dumb because of the tiny wrestling ring they used at penn station that one time.

cool-haired luke
May 13, 2012

by T. Finninho

STAC Goat posted:

I remember Team 3D feuding with the Machine Guns and the entire X Division so things would routinely get crazy. I don't remember Rodz though. Sure you're not thinking of Johnny Devine, who turned on the division and joined with the Dudleyz?

nah dude it was definitely johnny rodz. off the top of my head the rock n rave infection, homicide & hernandez and the latino nation ran out as well as some other peeps.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

cool-haired luke posted:

it was used once, maybe twice. by your logic wwe's 20x20 four sided ring is dumb because of the tiny wrestling ring they used at penn station that one time.

And you know it was used once, maybe twice how? More importantly, what kind of company wastes money on a tiny version of your ring? Rings aren't spare tires.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

cool-haired luke posted:

nah dude it was definitely johnny rodz. off the top of my head the rock n rave infection, homicide & hernandez and the latino nation ran out as well as some other peeps.

Oh, you totally confused me with the MCMG thing. It was a LAX thing. Now that you mention it I remember that whole Latino Nation/Team 3D's "Family" thing. Fun times. I think a Sopranos star ran in that match too.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Where did these .gif's come from? After Raw thing, maybe?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wario Kart 64 posted:

Probably, during that era they did lots of stuff after the broadcast stopped to send the crowd home happy. A great example of this is the Jericho/Austin beer dropping sequence you can see here.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Wario Kart 64 posted:

I see the laser pointer guy that ALWAYS pointed the thing at Undertaker during the Attitude Era (and probably beyond) wasn't in it for just the public exposure.

This must have come from a WWE media release because this is definitely Taker/Foley/Austin circa 1999 but with a WWE logo in the corner and much better quality than any camera from the late 90s could have gotten. Any clues as to which release?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The gifs seem new to everyone so maybe the Foley DVD that came out a month back?

e: Googled and found screencaps posted in November 2012. The Attitude Era DVD came out around then.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 3, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Memento1979 posted:

Probably, during that era they did lots of stuff after the broadcast stopped to send the crowd home happy. A great example of this is the Jericho/Austin beer dropping sequence you can see here.

God, I love this entire sequence, just for how much you can tell both guys are just totally on the edge of corpsing through the whole thing.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Speaking of titles changing hands on a DQ, it reminded me of the time I decided to give TNA a chance and was rewarded with Abyss beating Sting for the NWA title. Sting whupped Abyss' rear end, tied him up, beat him like a pinata. Then Sting hits the ref and throws Abyss off the stage, and whoops now Abyss is your world champ!

Edit: I should preface this with that I don't think they said titles could change hands on a DQ before the match, and I think they just ignored it after that too

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

TNA introduced the "belts change hands on an intentional DQ or countout" in like their 4th weekly PPV, then proceeded in the weeks that followed to have title matches end on DQ's with all sorts of explinations as to why the champ hadn't intentionally got themself DQ'd and so it didn't count. It took like 5 years before the stip actually had a payoff and by that point most people had forgotten.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

The best Memphis video ever is the one for The New Generation that is fairly infamous, IIRC. I know a clip of it got played on The Daily Show within the past couple of years.

One of those dudes is now the chief of police in my hometown, but I still don't think people have let him live this down.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nasboat posted:

The best Memphis video ever is the one for The New Generation that is fairly infamous, IIRC. I know a clip of it got played on The Daily Show within the past couple of years.

One of those dudes is now the chief of police in my hometown, but I still don't think people have let him live this down.

I'm really thinking we need some sort of :memphis: possibly featuring The Fabulous Ones or the Jimmy Hart Wimpbuster logo.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Botchamania was beloved by people inside WWE. I know I saw people watching it back in 2010.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Weirdly, the NWA title changing hands on a DQ was Dave Meltzer's idea. Jarrett called him up to ask him some things he could do to make NWA:TNA different, and that was one of them. They used it, but not really.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

They used it, forgot about it, and then on a house show I believe Christian beat Kurt Angle by DQ and then they were like "oh that rule doesn't exist anymore".

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

LividLiquid posted:

Weirdly, the NWA title changing hands on a DQ was Dave Meltzer's idea. Jarrett called him up to ask him some things he could do to make NWA:TNA different, and that was one of them. They used it, but not really.

Huh, I had no idea about that one.

I really hope Meltzer has a book all ready to be published, of all his behind the scenes wheelings and dealings. I want to hear his story.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

triplexpac posted:

I really hope Meltzer has a book all ready to be published, of all his behind the scenes wheelings and dealings. I want to hear his story.
Seriously. And tidbits like that are just offhandedly dropped on random radio shows and never chronicled.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Is Vader's son Jesse White any good?

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
Jason Sensation had quite a few rape accusations. Here's an interview from 2007.

Jason Sensation posted:

Jason goes on discussing his first few skits on RAW, but says that the story between him and Owen was dropped after he got stopped at the border. He didn't have a green card, and he had been crossing illegally all that time. The week after he got beat up by Owen, he wasn't able to make it to the next RAW due to being stopped at the border. Once WWE realized that they couldn't get him, they rushed a contract to him. He said that he signed a 3 yr deal, and spent most of it at home collecting a check. He noted that he sent several script ideas to Russo and it went to no reply. During the last 6 months of his contract he was sent to Memphis, TN to train as a heel manager for a future main roster spot. He said Memphis was run wrong and all the wrong guys were in charge. He said that the main trainer was Terry Golden and said "He was one of the dirtiest guys in the business". He said they went through a lot of wrestlers down there.

He then began to shoot on Kevin Kelly. He said that Kelly put him through a lot of hell in Memphis. "Kevin Kelly was Bullsh*t" says Sensation. He said there was talk of him doing the Slam Jams for the WWF and said that was Kelly's job at the time. He said at that point Kelly began to bury him to the office and reduced him to the job of a ring announcer. He said that Kelly even ridiculed him at position, and didn't want him to get over in any way. "He (Kevin Kelly) made my life a living hell".

He talked about having a rib pulled on him by Kevin Fertig (ECW's Kevin Thorn). He said that he pulled a rib on Fertig and was choked and thrown through a wall for his efforts. He called to file a complaint and Bruce Pritchard told him that "You were lucky that it wasn't Steve Blackman or The Undertaker, because they might have not stopped" He also brought up an instance of Fertig sexually assaulting him in a hotel. "He ripped my clothes off, he ripped my underwear off, and I was like what's this guy doing to me?" He then plugs the book that he's putting out titled "Raped in Wrestling". He mentioned that wasn't the only occurrence of sexual assault. He tells the story of his first weekend in Boston. He was invited up to a Road Agent's (whom he left nameless) hotel room with another wrestler to smoke Marijuana. After finishing the Marijuana, the agent began to grab him and pull him closer to molest him. He said the wrestler in the room was almost like he was standing there as a guard. He mentioned that he tried to squirm and get away and the agent said "Buddy if you don't this, you'll never gonna get into this business if you don't fu*k somebody". Jason said "It was the sickest moment in my life", he went on to say that another wrestler came to the door and it was his out and he left. He made a complaint to management and said that telling just worked against him. He said he wouldn't be surprised if things like that were still going on to this day.

Jason said the reason why he's waited so long to come out was that he was actually hoping for things to change and to possibly be rehired by WWE. He said after the death of his mother he realized that he would never be rehired and that he was ready to come out and speak. He said that to this day he still emails Jim Ross for a reason to his dismissal. He said he was going to tell all in his new book. He said that in that in WWE the good was good, but the bad was very bad. When asked for an example, he shared the story of a young wrestler by the name of Russ Haas. He talked about how Russ and his brother, current WWE wrestler Charlie Haas were in developmental prepping for a call up to the main roster. Jason said every single time they would come back from a dark match from TVs, Russ Haas was so depressed because "Quote Jim Ross and Quote Bruce Prichard" kept telling Russ: You guys are ready to go, you guys will be on tv but Russ you got to get bigger, Russ you got to get bigger, sorry Russ you got to get bigger." Russ finally gave in and began taking steroids and it was one occasion in which there was air in the needle and it got to his heart and killed him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bigass Moth posted:

Last match I saw he was doing pretty basic stuff, kinda unremarkable and still green. But he's not bad, and he can brawl without it just being a placeholder for not being able to do other things.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

budreck posted:

Jason Sensation had quite a few rape accusations. Here's an interview from 2007.

What confuses is, when would Jason Sensation and Kevin Thorn even have been in the company together? Wasn't Jason gone by the end part of the Attitude Era? Thorn was basically just a WWECW guy, right?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

he's very green but he has potential.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW

Thauros posted:

What confuses is, when would Jason Sensation and Kevin Thorn even have been in the company together? Wasn't Jason gone by the end part of the Attitude Era? Thorn was basically just a WWECW guy, right?

Towards the end of Attitude, Jason started training to wrestle under Ron Hutchison (trainer of Edge, Christian, Trish Status). Jason was eventually signed to a development deal and was in Memphis the same time as Thorn.

budreck fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 4, 2013

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Thauros posted:

Thorn wrestled in OVW as Seven, and was around for years.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

who is arda ocal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

John Cena posted:

who is arda ocal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arda_Ocal