Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
schunoko
Apr 29, 2009

Manuel Calavera posted:

Wonderful Pistachios makes a black pepper pistachio that's quite good.

Innerguard posted:

I don't know if its available on your Graze, as there is a significant difference between US and UK Graze, however on the UK Graze there is popcorn, one of which is 'with a hint of black pepper' - and it is absolutely gorgeous. Take a look to see if its on your possible choices, I'd highly recommend it.

You two are my heroes. I don't think the popcorn is in the US yet, because I don't see it, but here's hoping someday. Some magical day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
After the lukewarm response they got in thread, I wasn't expecting much from the fruit & seed flapjacks, but I'll be damned if they aren't my favorite. The dates in particular just work so well.

eggrolled posted:

The article I found earlier has several recipes:

Thanks—I'm going to start making my own flapjacks tonight. I'm thinking raisin, date, and walnut for the first batch.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Rollersnake posted:

Thanks—I'm going to start making my own flapjacks tonight. I'm thinking raisin, date, and walnut for the first batch.

I think if I ever get around to doing that, I'm still going to cut them down to the little Graze-y rectangles instead of going for a larger bar. For some reason, the fact that they're so small makes the experience just that much better. Little pieces of heaven.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

I noticed golden syrup are a pretty key ingredient in UK flapjacks. It looks like common substitutions for it are a blend of corn syrups or honey, etc. But golden syrup seems like it's different enough from corn syrup or honey that it would be worth it to make it at home for authenticity and flavor. not to mention, I would rather have a somewhat caramelized cane sugar syrup over corn syrup any day! So I found a DIY golden syrup solution as well. I've never had the stuff in my life, but this lady seems to know what she's doing when it comes to baking so I'll probably try this one myself sometime!

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Golden syrup is definitely what you want, and if you've got a Cost Plus World Market or Whole Foods nearby you can get the authentic stuff (look for the lion on the can). Failing that, if you live in the south, Alaga makes a cane/corn syrup blend that works pretty well. If you absolutely have to, corn syrup will work in a pinch, but the texture/flavor will be off.

And I highly recommend starting with plain flapjacks to start. They're kind of tetchy when it comes to temperature and cooking times; slight variations in either can deliver cakey, fall-apart baklava-like goodness or teeth-breaking agony. Once you've got the basic method dialed in, then you can start adding stuff.

(But honestly, once you taste proper butter/brown sugar/syrup flapjacks you just baked, you're not going to feel the need to add much at all. I put coconut in mine, that's about it.)

As for cutting -- when you pull the flapjacks out of the oven, let them cool for a few minutes, and then make your initial knife cuts. Depending on how long and hot you cooked them, they can set up like cement, so cutting out your bars while they're still cooling will save you a headache. Then, and this is the worst part, let them cool THOROUGHLY before you start digging in. If you don't, your flapjacks will fall apart and make a mess -- not that there's anything wrong with that, but a few extra minutes cooling will make a huge difference in the structural integrity.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 27, 2013

RavenousElegance
Jun 13, 2012

eggrolled posted:

I noticed golden syrup are a pretty key ingredient in UK flapjacks. It looks like common substitutions for it are a blend of corn syrups or honey, etc. But golden syrup seems like it's different enough from corn syrup or honey that it would be worth it to make it at home for authenticity and flavor. not to mention, I would rather have a somewhat caramelized cane sugar syrup over corn syrup any day! So I found a DIY golden syrup solution as well. I've never had the stuff in my life, but this lady seems to know what she's doing when it comes to baking so I'll probably try this one myself sometime!

You can get Lyle's golden syrup in the British section of most grocery stores fwiw.

DirtyDirt
Apr 27, 2005
Chairman Of The Bored
I am in the US, if anyone has a code please hit me up dirtydirt at gmail

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
I am in the US and would like an invite code if anyone has one. craallred@gmail.com

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

These turned out pretty well considering I didn't have any large rolled oats and I eyeballed most of the measurements. I will say though that I used maybe 3/4 the amount of butter the recipe called for, and they're still too buttery. Also I underestimated how much they'd firm up as they cooled, so they ended up a bit crunchier than I would have liked, even though they were falling apart when I cut them. Still really good, though, and flapjacks are simple enough that I don't think anyone could gently caress them up too badly.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Yeah, generally speaking, if you screw up flapjacks they'll still be pretty decent (and tasty). And I have noticed that more than a few of the recipes I've seen on the net have a lot of butter involved. My basic recipe is:

2 sticks butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup golden syrup
5 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup shredded coconut

It's really important to make sure the sugar is fully dissolved (I heat the mixture until the bubbles begin to stack up) and that you don't overcook it, because they change drastically in texture during the cooling process. My brother did a pan of chocolate flapjacks which had the consistency of brownies while still warm and roofing shingles once cooled.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
So what's the time frame on Graze deliveries? Monday will be the beginning of week three of no new Graze box.

Kinda not really worth it at the moment.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So what's the time frame on Graze deliveries? Monday will be the beginning of week three of no new Graze box.

Kinda not really worth it at the moment.

Should be weekly. Email them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I have my graze boxes set to be delivered bi-weekly, and they have not missed a beat. Are you goons sure you have your delivery rate setup how you want it to be?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
ah ha!

It was set to every two weeks. :(

ed

Well, still funky. I was billed for my latest box on the 22nd. Still haven't received it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I'm in the US, and an invite code would be awesome. Email is <username>@<username>.com.

makemyownsingles
Aug 22, 2004
Could I get an Invite code? I live in the US. Email me at makemyownsingles(at)gmail(dot)com. Thank you!

chewybagel
Feb 13, 2006
For the record, I got one of my missing boxes delivered last week (a month after it was supposed to arrive). It was a little beaten up, and some of the snacks were past their "best by" date. I never received the very first box that was lost though :(

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
UK code (free box): 59NKLPHC

I was not all that impressed by my first box but I'll get a few more before deciding to continue or not. I feel I can make things like nut/seed collections myself (Florentine, Chilli and Lime Pistachios) and the Pomodoro Rustichella wasn't particularly unlike some generic snack mix.

Fruit and seed flapjack was good though.

schunoko
Apr 29, 2009
Apple Cinnamon Flapjacks Apple and cinnamon is one of my favorite flavor combinations. As a side note to this, I hate eating oatmeal for breakfast. I would rather not eat breakfast. But if said oatmeal is apple cinnamon oatmeal? 2 bowls, please. That said, these are my favorite flapjacks. All other flapjacks can go home, except you, Summer Berry Flapjack. You can come around when you want to party every now and then. LOVE

Festival Fruits Eh. Dried fruit. I liked the pears more than I thought I would, but the blackcurrants were just too tart for this mix. TRASH

Olive and Rosemary Bruschetta I liked the tomato breadsticks! I know they've been hit or miss on the forums, but I really enjoyed them. That and the cashews. I could live without the olive croutons, though. They kind of dragged the mix down a bit. TRY

Bakewell Tart Their flavor infused raisins have been a huge surprise to me. I love them. And I love dried cranberries. AND I love almonds. But I wouldn't love to get this all the drat time, so it sits at a LIKE

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
Hi, could I get an invite code for the US site? You can PM me or email me at urmomspoohole[at]gmail.com

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Two boxes in and I'm very pleased with what I get for :5bux:

Box #1:

Pistachios are pistachios which means they're delicious.

Natural Vanilla Seeds were more of a hit with the missus than with me, but they weren't bad.

Pomodoro Rustichella is a nice, savory mix of things. It's got lots of cheese and tomato flavor, both things I like.

Garden of England gave me a couple of my favorite fruits and tossed in some black currants for good measure. Instant hit.

Box #2:

Herby Bread Basket is similar to the Pomodoro but not quite the same. Maybe I'm just that much a fan of cheesy tomatoy goodness.

Tutti Fruiti - I'm surprised this lasted as long as it did. Tasty variety of dried fruit? In my mouth, please.

Toffee Apple isn't something I was expecting, but it was very nice. A good balance with the savory bread basket.

Fruit & Seed Flapjack was mostly devoured by the missus before I could get to it, but what I had was pretty good!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Vanilla Fragipane: It's alright, but I feel like the almonds don't do anything for it. I think it'd be better with pecans. Like.

Festival Fruits: Pretty simple but alright if you like black currants. Like.

Super Berry Detox: I'm apparently fine with gojis but it's just a bunch of berries. Unimpressive, but not offensive. Like.

Lightly Toasted Pistachios: Perfectly alright. Fresh. Like.

Seedsational: It'd be fine if it was just lightly salted or with something to lower the soy taste. It's just too strong for me. Trash.

Eton Mess: Mildly sweet with lots of almond slivers, which I like a lot better than the whole almonds in a lot of their blends. Like.

Bakewell Tart: Cranberries, almonds, cherry raisins. It isn't bad, but again, unimpressive. The cherry raisins were really good though. Like.

Sweet Goan Curry Crackers: It's the rice crackers from the herb garden, but with a faintly sweet curry flavor. Tastes really, really awful despite sounding kinda okay. Trash.

Born in the USA: cranberries, almonds, pecans. I don't know what's so super american about it, but it's fine for basic nut/dried fruit. Like.

Orange and Ginger Flapjack: It's a flapjack, so it goes without saying that it's going to be delicious but the orange in this reminds me of every lollipop, starburst and popscicle I've ever had all at once. I couldn't taste the ginger hardly at all, but it was awesome. Love.

E: I'm starting to get kinda tired of almonds.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I was just looking at what I can see on the site without being able to sign up, and I have to ask...

Are there a significant number of snacks available without nuts in them? I have nut allergies.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

They use a pretty wide variety of nuts and seeds, and it's all made in the same kitchen so if you swell up like a blowfish you might want to steer clear. You can see everything they have to offer without logging in, though, so you can decide for yourself.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Nah, I'm not super sensitive to nuts. Minor cross-contamination doesn't bother me, I just need to avoid the ones that have nuts as an ingredient.

The flapjacks look okay, as do the dippers, about half the savory selections, a few of the chocolates, all the pure fruit, and the seeds.

Kokiyas
Mar 28, 2013

Chadmunkey posted:

Got a code for the UK graze breakfast club, which is invite only; 2XH74FM

I took the breakfast club code but not the sign-up one there. Thanks!

ETA: and if anyone else in the UK wants to sign up and get a free box, here's my code: R9TW443.

Kokiyas fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 3, 2013

Zhundult
Apr 4, 2013
Latest box:
Boston Baguettes - very yummy. I liked the BBQ relish also, but I was the only one. Even my picky kids liked this one.
Black Pepper Pistachios - very happy to see these. Not quite as good as regular pistachios, but still very yummy. Kept these all to myself.
Eton Mess - my wife liked this one, but I wasn't crazy about it.
Herby Bread Basket - this one was very good too, and another hit with the kids. The basil bread sticks tasted a lot like pizza, so much in fact that we had to order one for dinner after eating these.

We're 4 boxes in now, with the newest one arriving today (I hope), and it's been great. Well worth the :5bux:. Thanks to the Goons for getting us into this.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Finally got my second box. It took 20 days to get it, but I got it. The fruit compote dip was pretty good but I preferred the short bread cookie by itself. The smokey whatever dip was awful and I just ate the crackers.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Oh my god, I got Poached Pear in my last box and it was amazing. Whoever decided to make vanilla pumpkin seeds is a genius, they worked with the fruit pieces so well.

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated
This sounds neat. Does anyone have a US invite code they could send me, please? PM or <username>@gmail.com

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Got my 4th box today. Holy poo poo Elanor's Apple Crumble is amazing; those almonds are ridiculous. I'll never get tired of those. Also had British BBQ, which I enjoyed. Haven't tried the other two yet (Scandinavian Forest, My Thai).

As an aside, Graze has consistently delivered to my specified schedule (every 2 weeks) and have had no lost boxes. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

HOLY gently caress posted:

Oh my god, I got Poached Pear in my last box and it was amazing. Whoever decided to make vanilla pumpkin seeds is a genius, they worked with the fruit pieces so well.

Vanilla seeds on their own is another possible punnet (at least, in the UK it is) so think about slapping that one up your love list!

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
They've been reasonably reliable for me for about 4 boxes as well.

Also, I just had their Tropical Daquiri, which was totally amazing. Definitely give it a shot!

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Got my first box last week, second box is in the mail and hopefully to me soon.

Mississippi BBQ Pistachios: Tasty! Kinda smoky, tomato-y flavor that goes pretty well with the nuts. Like.
Vanilla Seeds: Holy crap so delicious. When I get them again, I'm going to sprinkle them in with yogurt. Love.
Cheddar Gorge: The best parts for me were the salsa corn straws. Like.
Super Berry Detox: The green raisins were all right, but it didn't have a ton of flavor. Trash.

I'm anxiously awaiting the next box. Definitely worth the five bucks, though I'm going to have to get a second subscription for my wife when they go public since she keeps stealing stuff from my box.

DoleMIGHTY
Oct 23, 2007
uncle bens low fat puaddings
Been wanting to try this since I first heard of it (a while ago, at least a year).

Stoked they're expanding in the US now, if anyone has a US invite code I'd be grateful - killjarjar at gmail

joyfulgirl129
Aug 22, 2006

Also looking for invite code: liakw at hawaii dot edu. Thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Got Bonnie Wee Oatbakes and Onion Marmalade. It was...okay but the main issue was it seems to have exploded all over the rest of the containers and the inside of the box.

I didn't know why there were so many odd gnats around the box when I got it but that was why.

What I did manage to eat, it wasn't...too bad, I guess. The oatbakes were practically flavorless, but the red onion marmalade was better than expected. I'll leave it on LOVE just because of the marmalade but the oatbakes weren't so great.

They really do need to find a way to ship the marmalades and jams better, at least here in the US because the US Postal Service is a horrible way to send non-solid food like that. The package felt kind of squeezed when I got it.

EDIT: Thinking about it a bit more, the oatbakes weren't flavorless. But the marmalade was pretty drat good. I'd even try maybe making that at home one day.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 11, 2013

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Looking for invite code please and thank you, dteti-[at]-kent-[dot]-edu (remove the -'s)

My Dad recently went vegetarian and I think a year's worth of healthy snacks would be a nice father's day gift.

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 11, 2013

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006
I am also requesting an invite code for a father's day gift, thanks :) pearbear<at>gmail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is the US version still giving out codes? I got this for my husband, he gave his code to a friend, and now neither of them can invite me. Harrumph.

• Locked thread