Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Narqulie posted:

But you can mirror, and airplay that way!

Can you though? Coulda sworn that just shows a red screen with the logo on the TV...it's been a while - I might be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Working fine for me from an iPhone 5 to an ATV 2. It just has that common problem where playback stops if you lock the phone.

e: You get a Netflix logo if you enable mirroring while running the app but not playing a movie; once the movie starts playing it appears on the TV.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
You can now use PLEX on Apple TV 3, without jailbreak

https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect/wiki

Takes advantage of the trailers feature somehow. I saw it on reddit and thought I'd mention it here. I haven't used it myself though, so ymmv.

yesacs
Dec 3, 2006

Come on man! If you don't eat, your handsome looks will deteriorate.

Shmoogy posted:

Takes advantage of the trailers feature somehow. I saw it on reddit and thought I'd mention it here. I haven't used it myself though, so ymmv.

Thanks for this. Took about five minutes to setup on my ubuntu plex server (need to disble dnsmasq first: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-disable-dnsmasq-in-ubuntu-12-04precise.html). Works like a charm on my atv3. You even get access to channels and some minimal but useful transcoder settings as well.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It was a receiver configuration issue :/

ssspy007
Aug 5, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

Thanks for posting this. I set it up on mine and it works great. Better than the jailbroken Plex.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Shmoogy posted:

Thank you. I love solutions and work arounds like this.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oooooh awesome! Unfortunately I'm kind of old and dumb when it comes to poo poo like this.

So PlexConnect is an app you install on your mac or whatever first? I downloaded a zip off the github link but it just looks like a bunch of python scripts and the like...

WHAT DOES I DO?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
The setup seems like you basically have to route all your AppleTV internet traffic through whatever your Plex server happens to be. Or am I misunderstanding it?

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

cbirdsong posted:

The setup seems like you basically have to route all your AppleTV internet traffic through whatever your Plex server happens to be. Or am I misunderstanding it?

It's routing all DNS requests through a computer on your network (doesn't have to be your plex server). So whenever your AppleTV needs data from the internet and sends out a DNS lookup request, instead of sending it to your normal DNS server, it gets sent to the computer running the script. If the request is for trailers.apple.com, it gives its own IP and then sends the AppleTV your Plex server info instead of Apple's trailer. Anything request for any other site, the computer just checks whatever DNS server it is configured to use and replies with that. So the AppleTV sends all its actual traffic directly wherever it normally would, but DNS request get funneled through the computer.

The problem with this, in my eyes, is that the AppleTV only supports a single DNS server (which is lame as hell Apple), whereas almost everything else in the world supports multiples. That means if the script dies on your computer, your AppleTV will be unable to connect to anything until you either fix the problem on the computer or set the DNS server back to normal.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Confused a bit about Plex Media Server. It's auto-looking in my Mac's "Movies" folder, but where on earth can I change where Plex Media Server finds it's file/library? All my stuff is in another folder. How do I point it to that directory??

[edit] While I'm at it, I set everything up per instructions and when I go to Trailers on ATV3, it thinks then says "PlexConnect No Response from Plex Media Server"

Not sure where I might have gone wrong...
- Resolved with a reboot.

First question above still stands. Also, if I close terminal, it kills the Python script. Is there any way to detach it or whatever, and also a script or something that can run that script on a boot up?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 4, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Feenix posted:

Confused a bit about Plex Media Server. It's auto-looking in my Mac's "Movies" folder, but where on earth can I change where Plex Media Server finds it's file/library? All my stuff is in another folder. How do I point it to that directory??
http://www.plexapp.com/medialink/files/E_use1.html

In particular, see step 2.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The instructions for getting this on ATV3 nonjailbroken reference Plex media Server. I downloaded that. It's a web-app. Doesn't seem to look/act anything like what you linked looks like. Can I download an actual "app" for mac? (I'm not a fan of Web Apps.)

[edit]

I actually found where to do it in the Web App. :) However now my general questions are:

1) Do I have to use the Webapp? If it crashes or I reboot I have to restart it. Do they have a standalone Plex OSX App that can still do what the PMS web app is doing to ATV3?

2) Is there any way to set up an auto-run script (at login) for PlexConnect.py?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 4, 2013

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
All of Plex Media Server's configuration/management is done via a built-in web server. The actual viewing can be done through the web server or via a separate app on the same computer or any number of other devices/computer. None of the Apps have library management or server configuration abilities to my knowledge.

As for running the python scripts in the background and on startup, I'm not sure. I know it's possible, but I'd have to google it. That's the main thing keeping me from using PlexConnect right now, but their site said turning this into an app instead of a script is on the roadmap.

For the time being though, running the Plex App on my iPhone or iPad and airplaying over to my AppleTV works fine. The concept is great, so I'm looking forward to them maturing PlexConnect some more and then I'll give it another shot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ssspy007 posted:

Thanks for posting this. I set it up on mine and it works great. Better than the jailbroken Plex.

Are there any screenshots of how it looks with this? I've got an ATV2 with Plex but I'm on 4.2.2 and the native Netflix app is broken. I can't seem to find any way to upgrade to 4.4.4, and if I update all the way to 5.2.1, I'm sitting without a tether-free jailbreak and without a native Plex app.

If I could go to the non-jailbroken current ATV2 firmware and use this instead, that'd be great, but I want to see how this works and make sure it's not as janky as I fear it might be.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are there any screenshots of how it looks with this? I've got an ATV2 with Plex but I'm on 4.2.2 and the native Netflix app is broken. I can't seem to find any way to upgrade to 4.4.4, and if I update all the way to 5.2.1, I'm sitting without a tether-free jailbreak and without a native Plex app.

If I could go to the non-jailbroken current ATV2 firmware and use this instead, that'd be great, but I want to see how this works and make sure it's not as janky as I fear it might be.

I was skeptical too, but it's very unjank. I spent about 15 minutes setting it up and it seems to work perfectly.

Sorry for the poor quality, super large screenshots-- didn't have time to thumbnail/resize

Thanks Shmoogy for posting this. It's great!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know this isnt really the Plex help thread but since we're all sorta talking about this new thing... anyone know why sometimes (or always, now...) when I load the Mac web app dealie it just hangs? Seriously it acts like it's loading but just doesn't do anything. Just a white empty web page. It worked fine an hour ago.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I just set it up to test it out. Running ATV2 on 5.0.2 (I think). The grid view and bars don't work for some reason- I think it's because of the OS version I'm on ( but I don't want to upgrade as I'm jailbroken, and everything works for me). Using the search to find things proves that the solution does work quite well though. Definitely considering getting my parents an ATV3 and setting it up for them now.

AustinJ
Jul 12, 2006

You can't take the sky from me!
Does anyone have a sense of whether this Plex workaround is something Apple can or will patch out? I could see them not taking kindly to having their Trailers app co-opted like this, but maybe it's not something that they can easily do, so they won't bother?

I'm impressed with the cleverness of this solution, though. I'm gonna have to check out Plex, and see how it compares to XBMC, which I already have setup on my computer. I'd love to be able to switch to an AppleTV3 for set top boxes around the house.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think there is anything they can realistically do. They might try to break it, but fundamentally, it would be quite tricky for them to do anything which would not be figured out immediately. It's a very clever way to work around how they call for trailers from their servers.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It seems to me that they could just use HTTPS for everything, and only accept the one correct Apple SSL certificate. Then the Apple TV would basically be able to know that it wasn't talking to Apple and throw up an error.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How hard would it be to fake a cert if you're already hijacking DNS, though?

It's not like this is a simple thing, you're talking about pretty deep network fuckery that is happening entirely outside of the ATV itself.

Last Chance: Thanks for the screens, any chance you could show how it lists the shows and movies/TV categories themselves? It seems like the screens you posted functionally match the native app.

Edit: Nevermind, found a video linked on Hackaday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h61NAgFAWQg

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 5, 2013

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

IOwnCalculus posted:

How hard would it be to fake a cert if you're already hijacking DNS, though?

Pretty difficult, given that this basically means deriving the private key pair for the public key used by the certificate.

An easier "fix" would be to simply move most of the XML data off the web and onto the device itself (so that you could only hijack the content streams themselves). Of course this comes with the tradeoff that they have to push out an AppleTV update any time a provider wants to update their service.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 6, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WWDC thread is up and will be opened in the morning, if you want to bookmark it now.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

I saw someone mention this earlier in the thread, but there didn't appear to be a resolution. My jailbroken ATV2 is currently running 5.0.1. I had a baby about 3 months ago and everything was working fine with Netflix, but when attempting to watch something for the first time since the baby, I am getting an error stating "Netflix is currently unavailable. Try again later." It's been that way for two days now.

I've done all of the standard troubleshooting items. I've unplugged the ATV, restarted my router, etc. but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone been able to successfully fix this issue?

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Make an appointment at the nearest Apple store for your baby.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I thought that issue was resolved on the newer firmwares than what I have - I'm getting the same issue but I'm on 4.2.2 and most say that 4.4.4+ works. The fact that now it doesn't work on 5.0.1 tells me they might be forcing another update to the latest firmware, which only has a tethered jailbreak.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I thought that issue was resolved on the newer firmwares than what I have - I'm getting the same issue but I'm on 4.2.2 and most say that 4.4.4+ works. The fact that now it doesn't work on 5.0.1 tells me they might be forcing another update to the latest firmware, which only has a tethered jailbreak.

Well that news sucks. Good thing I have the Hulu, I suppose.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
PlexConnect is absolutely wonderful.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Yeah, the interface is kind of crap, but it's so much better than the constant home sharing issues I had with iTunes. It always pisses me off when the software made by the company who made the hardware fucks up and doesn't work as well as a third party work-around.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The Aphasian posted:

Yeah, the interface is kind of crap, but it's so much better than the constant home sharing issues I had with iTunes. It always pisses me off when the software made by the company who made the hardware fucks up and doesn't work as well as a third party work-around.

That's weird man. I've had iTunes sharing on a Windows PC and iMac and I have zero issues with anything.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've also had zero issues with home sharing outside of a couple of little hiccups.

What's funny is that the AppleTV handles video streams over Home Sharing way better than an iPad does.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

The two issues I had:
  • That crazy "can't believe this" one where it doesn't work if I plug it into the router physically, but works (mostly) fine wirelessly.
  • I use a VPN for work, and anytime I open iTunes while using the work VPN I have to reboot later to have the ATV find my library again, even after disconnecting from the VPN and restarting iTunes. I realize I can't fully blame this on iTunes, but I also don't know what the gently caress.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They just added HBO Go and ESPN apps to Apple TV, although like the mobile platforms, you need to have a cable subscription to use it.

Still, Apple TV interface is probably nicer than your cable box.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Do we yet know if that Apple Trailers Plex tweak still works after updating to get HBOGO?

Do you have to re-enter the info on your ATV?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

smackfu posted:

They just added HBO Go and ESPN apps to Apple TV, although like the mobile platforms, you need to have a cable subscription to use it.

Still, Apple TV interface is probably nicer than your cable box.

loving finally. I've been Airplaying HBO Go for the last few months (since they allowed that) and it's less than ideal. More bandwidth with the Apple TV being wired. Yay! I wonder if they're ever going to just allow apps for the love of gently caress.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is wireless really the bottleneck there? Unless you're on Google Fiber it almost certainly has vastly more bandwidth than what's coming into your house and even in that case the stream from Go is probably only a couple of Mbps. I've been airplaying Go a lot recently and have no complaints about the quality (on an ATV2, no less, although it is wired).

There are fresh rumors about Apple TV apps now that Apple seems to have made a commitment to officially supporting game controllers but then again we get rumors about Apple TV apps every time an Apple executive opens his mouth.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Part of me expected interface updates to kill the reflections on the icons/channels, but since iOS 7 and all its methodology isn't coming to the public until fall I'm sure this is just content-provider update. iOS for aTV seems so simplified already (and thank goodness, what with an A4 heart in mine) that it would seem trivial to make some minor interface adjustments & shoot out a new point release.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

At this point, if you have a subscription video service, it seems like a pretty good bet that you could get it on Apple TV as an app, despite there not being any apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

smackfu posted:

Some day, in my fantasy future, I'll be able to order products that I want over Apple TV, Roku, or whatever, and not need to have a cable subscription.

It annoys me endlessly that I can't order MLB/NBA broadband because my entire area is 'blacked out' due to the agreements with cable operators. On the other hand, I've got a lot of free time now that I used to use watching games.

• Locked thread