Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I went to an Ethiopian restaurant the other day and it was really good. Like super tasty. And I want to make my own, partially because it was super good and partly so I can just eat it with a spoon instead of dealing with the injera-sopping process which was horribly messy and left me feeling stuffed like a sausage because the bread/actual food ratio was so high. Not that injera didn't also taste really good and add its own thing but I don't know, maybe I'm just not mentally flexible enough. I spent the whole drat meal wishing for a spoon.

Totally going to make some doro wat though. That stuff was goooooooood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Cocktails are that small? I'm a terrible bartender then.

~3oz booze for a stirred drink, dilute up to an ounce depending on strength, but I come from a Neo-classic cocktails background in NYC so your milage will vary. It's a good drink if it tastes good and makes someone happy while not taking your pour cost through the roof. You're a good bartender if people walk away feeling better than when they came.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Semisponge posted:

I went to an Ethiopian restaurant the other day and it was really good. Like super tasty. And I want to make my own, partially because it was super good and partly so I can just eat it with a spoon instead of dealing with the injera-sopping process which was horribly messy and left me feeling stuffed like a sausage because the bread/actual food ratio was so high. Not that injera didn't also taste really good and add its own thing but I don't know, maybe I'm just not mentally flexible enough. I spent the whole drat meal wishing for a spoon.

gently caress yeah doro wat owns so hard.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Semisponge posted:

butts rock

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

YEAH DOG posted:

butts rock

butts rock

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Chicken is brining. About to find out if this Thomas Keller fried chicken is all its cracked up to be. This is the most over the top brine I've ever encountered. It's like a cold court bullion

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Semisponge posted:

I like doro wat quite a bit, but the best thing is raw Kitfo. I'm afraid to make that at home though. As for home recipes, Casu posted a good doro wat recipe sometime back, and the GF and I came up with a good spice mix for ayeb be gomen. We love that mix so much that we use it in a LOT of things.

gently caress you for hating on injera, though. That is quite possibly my favorite kind of bread. :colbert:

Anyway, I just had a popsicle and some bland oatmeal, my first food in over 35 hours. Easily the worst food poisoning I've ever had, firing out of both ends constantly, alternating hot sweats and cold shivers. I couldn't even keep water down; I probably should have gone to the hospital. I think I'm going to have food-related PTSD for a while. :(

The worst thing about food poisoning? Never knowing exactly what caused it. The top 5 pathogens have a combined onset window of 1-72 hours, which means it could be ANYTHING.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

ZetsurinPower posted:

Chicken is brining. About to find out if this Thomas Keller fried chicken is all its cracked up to be. This is the most over the top brine I've ever encountered. It's like a cold court bullion
It's kind of stupid. I had a phase where the existence of super-complicated "ultimate fried chicken" type recipes sort of kept me from cooking entirely because I'd always want to do it "right" instead of just loving cooking. And really what do most home cooks learn by measuring out fourteen friggin ingredients into a brine when the important part of fried chicken that gets hosed up at home almost always is just making sure that the oil is hot and that there is enough of it.

For 4/5 home cooks there's a much more fundamental fuckup that renders the slight advantages of super-brine kind of moot. I don't find this is an issue with Keller recipes in general, just the fried chicken.

But I do hope it turns out well.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
The One True Brine for fried chicken is dill pickle juice and gently caress anybody who says otherwise.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Keller's Ad Hoc fried chicken is phenomenal. :dong:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Keller's Ad Hoc fried chicken is phenomenal. :dong:

Haters gonna hate but these are truefacts.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I don't really know what his ad hoc fried chicken is but if its the rosemary buttermilk brined and then dredged and then buttermilked and dredged again one its really outstanding.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The best food is the food that you make for yourself on a regular basis, because it is food that you determine is worth the cost and effort even if there are no external benefits. This definition of best includes the difficulty of preparation, nutritional value, cost, and countless other factors.

As for best-tasting food, go hog wild, but that's a completely different question.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

No Wave posted:

As for best-tasting food, go hog wild, but that's a completely different question.

Well that's easy. Everything I've ever made :smug:

I'm now making pancetta in-house. We only use it for one dish on the pm line, and its so much cheaper to make than buy.

I also started some pastrami and duck prosciutto for a charcuterie special I want to run at the bar. I need 2 more things, and not pate.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

More charcuterie, or things to pair with charcuterie?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

I also started some pastrami and duck prosciutto for a charcuterie special I want to run at the bar. I need 2 more things, and not pate.

Ccccchhhheeeeeessssssseeeeeeeeee

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
More charcuterie, we'll have our 4 monthly cheeses on it as well.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Lardo?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Fresh, local fruit.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Pickles, of course!

No but seriously, how hard is it to make some type of summer sausage? I bet that'd be tasty.

Edit: Huh, the site I was looking at had a confederate flag as its page icon. Really inspires confidence.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 3, 2013

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

Squashy Nipples posted:

gently caress you for hating on injera, though. That is quite possibly my favorite kind of bread. :colbert:

Look, I said it tasted good, I just think it's horrible as a food delivery system.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Semisponge posted:

Look, I said it tasted good, I just think it's horrible as a food delivery system.

Suck less maybe.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Squashy Nipples posted:

I like doro wat quite a bit, but the best thing is raw Kitfo. I'm afraid to make that at home though. As for home recipes, Casu posted a good doro wat recipe sometime back, and the GF and I came up with a good spice mix for ayeb be gomen. We love that mix so much that we use it in a LOT of things.

Anyway, I just had a popsicle and some bland oatmeal, my first food in over 35 hours. Easily the worst food poisoning I've ever had, firing out of both ends constantly, alternating hot sweats and cold shivers. I couldn't even keep water down; I probably should have gone to the hospital. I think I'm going to have food-related PTSD for a while. :(

The worst thing about food poisoning? Never knowing exactly what caused it. The top 5 pathogens have a combined onset window of 1-72 hours, which means it could be ANYTHING.

Sounds like norovirus to my amature epidimiology.

It sucks.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

NosmoKing posted:

Sounds like norovirus to my amature epidimiology.

It sucks.

Yeah, reading up on it a little more, that sounds about right. But why didn't the woman get it? She was certainly exposed to my... vile excretions.

Anyway, enough with sick chat. Anybody catch Iron Chef last night? I don't watch much TV, so I don't know if it was a rerun or not, but Michael Symon did some cool things with pretzels. I'm always impressed when banal ingredients can be so transformed.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

NO SQUASHYCHAT

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

No Wave posted:

It's kind of stupid. I had a phase where the existence of super-complicated "ultimate fried chicken" type recipes sort of kept me from cooking entirely because I'd always want to do it "right" instead of just loving cooking. And really what do most home cooks learn by measuring out fourteen friggin ingredients into a brine when the important part of fried chicken that gets hosed up at home almost always is just making sure that the oil is hot and that there is enough of it.

For 4/5 home cooks there's a much more fundamental fuckup that renders the slight advantages of super-brine kind of moot. I don't find this is an issue with Keller recipes in general, just the fried chicken.

But I do hope it turns out well.

I mostly agree. Since its a Thomas Keller recipe I gave it the benefit of the doubt, but I usually avoid any "ultimate X recipe" like the plague - its just something lovely food bloggers do to get more hits.

But in this case, that brine made the dish. I don't know if it really required all the excess minutiae but the brining process itself kept the meat extremely moist, even on pieces that were accidentally overcooked. Which addresses your points about basic fuckups like volume & temperature of oil - the brine greatly improves the margin of error to prevent dry meat. Now, does it really need 30 cloves of garlic and a garden's worth of herbs? Probably not, but the meat tasted loving good. Better than the skin, unbelievably.

The recipe for the breading was surprisingly run-of-the mill and we all felt there was room for improvement (not in the process, but the flavors). Couldn't the buttermilk have been fortified with something? I feel like a more flavorful dry flour mix could be adapted from a different recipe. It wasn't bad by any means but I have had better fried chicken breading.

Also there were some pretty silly easy things that can simplify the versions of this recipe that were online (I can't speak for the book's version).

1. Use an herb sachet or cheesecloth to hold all the myriad brining ingredients. Unless you like picking rosemary and poo poo off of every piece of chicken.
2. You don't need to boil the entire 8 quarts of brine like the recipe calls for, just do enough to cover the brine ingredients then when its ready, add cold water or ice so you don't have to wait 2 drat hours for it to cool off. Seems like common sense but the recipe says to do the opposite.
3. Its salty as gently caress, I would not brine this more than 12 hours and you do not need to season the meat after it comes out of the fryer.
4. Call me crazy but sugar will do in place of honey

Overall, yes it is delicious but it can be simplified.

ZetsurinPower fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 3, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Appreciate the response. What is nice about lengthy recipes like that is that you can pare them down to the elements that you find important.

Although, out of curiosity, isn't that a pretty strong argument for seeking out that cheap-rear end pre-brined chicken in the supermarket (the stuff with the solution injected into it)? If you just season those breasts the night before, will you still get the moisture benefits with very little effort?

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

No Wave posted:

Appreciate the response. What is nice about lengthy recipes like that is that you can pare them down to the elements that you find important.

Although, out of curiosity, isn't that a pretty strong argument for seeking out that cheap-rear end pre-brined chicken in the supermarket (the stuff with the solution injected into it)? If you just season those breasts the night before, will you still get the moisture benefits with very little effort?

You might be right about the pre-brined chicken. I recall Cooks Illustrated doing a test where they compared the weight of brined and un-brined chicken breasts before and after cooking to determine how much moisture was retained. I wonder if they included the supermarket pre-brined stuff? Is there a time component, like does freshly brined chicken have a better taste & texture than if it has been frozen?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hey Ricola, go gently caress yourself. You are an unfunny douchebag, and your superiority complex is completely unfounded.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

your superiority complex is completely unfounded.

Mine, on the other hand... :viggo:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

:popcorn:

This should be good.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I feel like I'm missing something here... :stare:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hey Ricola, go gently caress yourself. You are an unfunny douchebag, and your superiority complex is completely unfounded.

:laffo: :laffo: :laffo: :laffo:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Doh004 posted:

I feel like I'm missing something here... :stare:

Squashy talks about all his kinky sex having a lot.

Ricola doesn't like kinky sex having talks.

Hilarity ensues.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
So last night my girlfriend took this rolled up hamburger bun and she put it

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
On your grill, pounding and pounding away until she was sore and then started stomping on it

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Well that's easy. Everything I've ever made :smug:

I'm now making pancetta in-house. We only use it for one dish on the pm line, and its so much cheaper to make than buy.

Make trotters. They're one of my favorite bits of charcuterie.

Also good: chicken liver mousse, pork rillettes, smoked trout rillettes, various terrines, guanciale, porchetta di testa.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steakandchips posted:

Hilarity ensues.

I don't think he's actually done that for a good while.

Which I for one regret.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Steakandchips posted:

Hilarity ensues.

Oh, okay then.

Carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
chicken brines are so good. mine is like 20 bay leaves, 2 heads of garlic, lots of thyme and black pepper, an onion, a lil cumin, a handful of black cardamom, fish sauce, a little worcestershire, and of course lots of sugar and salt. I don't worry about satchets or exact measurements, I just rough chop everything up, skin on, and throw it in the pot. boil 4 cups of water for like 20 minutes with all that poo poo, then dump into a container full of ice. it's always salty as poo poo, but that's what makes it so goooddddd. some of the herbs stick to the chicken even after you rinse it off, but who cares?

if you have to season your chicken on the outside for it to be 'properly seasoned', you're probably cooking chicken wrong. the seasoning on the outside should just be like the icing on the cake or whatever.