Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Arcaeris posted:

Anyone know about the Tales of the World tactics game in the JP store? Or how FFV plays? We don't have Final Fantasy V in the US store, do we?

5 works decent enough in battle (with a neat auto battle option that makes levelling way easier if you're like me and abuse the monk skill) but navigating outside of battle is awkward and off-putting thanks to the virtual D pad that appears centred where ever you touch the screen.
Graphically it's the original sprite design for enemies (upscaled) but they changed the look of all main characters and people in towns. I think I heard somewhere that they are just modified sprites from FF Dimensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FidgetWidget
Aug 13, 2005
A Storm's a Brewin'!
I didn't read the rules

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 2, 2013

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

KGBAgent185 posted:

Well poo poo. On a different note, mind reporting on the expansion? Worth the $5 is it about the same size as the main campaign? Can you start at level 1 and does it have more equipment?

I'm not sure about when you can start it, I'm still using my team that beat the main story. It looks about the same size as the main quest, with nine story quests and some more towns.

The thing that'll jump out at you is that the Skaven have way more health. The dungeons are larger too. I've only done a couple so far, though. I think it's worth it if you enjoyed the base game.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

FidgetWidget posted:

I didn't read the rules
No kickstarters in here dude. Put it in the kickstarter thread.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Emron posted:

I'm not sure about when you can start it, I'm still using my team that beat the main story. It looks about the same size as the main quest, with nine story quests and some more towns.

The thing that'll jump out at you is that the Skaven have way more health. The dungeons are larger too. I've only done a couple so far, though. I think it's worth it if you enjoyed the base game.

Well poo poo, guess I'm buying the expansion once I beat this last quest.

This game feels like a $5 demo with $5 unlock iap though so far. Blasted through the main story missions quickly, and have been grinding non-main quests just to level for a while. However, I can't say I mind.

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I don't know if I'm getting this new merchant app one goon made - I'm just buying/selling and not really giving a poo poo - does it open up or is it this?

Wasn't this game, like, YOUR idea in the last thread? Could have sworn you posted the idea for a dungeon merchant game or something similar...

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Optikalusion posted:

Wasn't this game, like, YOUR idea in the last thread? Could have sworn you posted the idea for a dungeon merchant game or something similar...

Kinda. Good memory!

I wanted you to be the town elder, so to speak, you're the guy who trains/sells/boards heroes and then when they come back, you treat em like gold, give them a house you build onto, give them a statue, have the hero being home heads of monsters etc.

This game seems to just be the same "buy/sell/craft" with no real progression.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Catsplosion posted:

Edit: Are there any good virtual card games for the ipad yet? or maybe virtual card website that works well on the ipad? If somebody made a good one they could potentially make a lot of ...

DotP is pretty good and was mentioned already, but a couple other CCGs that are actually card games (not these tap and collect "games") would be Might & Magic Duel of Champions and ShadowEra. Duel of Champs has a better interface, has a handful of card redemption codes floating around and is a little easier to get a collection started, but you disconnect and lose if you accidentally close the game and only a has few AI to play against, also no offline play. Shadow era has a little bit clunkier interface but has AI matches to practice against, has offline play and is generally a ripoff of the WoW TCG gameplay. Both have IAP points to buy more cards if you don't want to grind out gold for cards and both have PC clients if you want to play non-moble.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hey - Starship Battles - does anyone know anything about this? Good, bad, awful? Looks like it could scratch that odd little itch I've had.

While I'm at it - Dungeon Plunder I seem to recall this getting some attention a while back. Worth $1.99 or don't bother. I'm really finding that the idea of roguelikes with some kind of inheritance system so that you make some progress every game REALLY appeals to me. Give this a shot, or just keep waiting for Dungeonmans to actually be a thing as opposed to online hopes and vapor?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

While I'm at it - Dungeon Plunder I seem to recall this getting some attention a while back. Worth $1.99 or don't bother. I'm really finding that the idea of roguelikes with some kind of inheritance system so that you make some progress every game REALLY appeals to me. Give this a shot, or just keep waiting for Dungeonmans to actually be a thing as opposed to online hopes and vapor?

Dungeon Plunder is one of the few Roguelikes I can stand playing on the ios. The slots battle system isn't as annoying as in other games (tower of fortune) because you can lock as many rows as you want. The devs also have patches every week that balance/add stuff.

That said, there isn't much strategy to the game and because you're doing the same thing it can get easy to burn out on it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Ascension is easily the best "virtual card game" on iOS. It blows MTG:DotP away.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Ascension is easily the best "virtual card game" on iOS. It blows MTG:DotP away.

Yeah. Ascension has an incredible amount of staying power. If you only get one, get Ascension.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't care for it much. It isn't really so much a rogue-like as it is a really simple slots based RPG. I haven't played it since the last couple of updates, but it was all grinding, and unless they completely revamped the entire game, I would guess it still is. I don't think it is poorly crafted, it ran fine, and the internal systems were consistent and predictable, but I felt the core of the game was really hollow and uninteresting. It was also really easy since the monsters were all static and you knew what their strength was before starting the battle.

To me it isn't a question of the $2 I paid for it, but more if it is worth my time, and I don't feel it is.

mliecah
Apr 17, 2011

bonerchamp
Does Phoenix Wright's legal protocol inaccuracies bother anyone else? I love the game, but I feel like I shouldn't have to provide evidence for who did commit a crime as a defense attorney. I figured as long as I can prove the defendant didn't do it that should be enough. Overall though, this game is engrossing and really fun.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

mliecah posted:

Does Phoenix Wright's legal protocol inaccuracies bother anyone else? I love the game, but I feel like I shouldn't have to provide evidence for who did commit a crime as a defense attorney. I figured as long as I can prove the defendant didn't do it that should be enough. Overall though, this game is engrossing and really fun.
Are you basing off of your knowledge of the Japanese legal system?
Because that's what PW is based on and it's pretty hosed up in terms of their conviction rate. It's kinda why the game exists (in defense of defense lawyers and changing the legal system).

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I always wondered at what point some genius decided to kill deckbuilding in those games. I remember there was some ancient as gently caress MtG game back when I actually played physical MtG. This would have been middleschool or way early high school so. . . maybe 1994-8 or so? Anyways even that old as gently caress no-multiplayer (that I was aware of at least) game had deckbuilding as a core feature of it.

You know, because deck building was the whole loving point of the physical game.

I couldn't disagree more. The guy who decided to kill deckbuilding Is a genius. I've been playing magic sinc e early 90's and at least once a year I get the itch to get some games in. The ios version is perfect for noobs or long time players like me that are looking for a casual experience. All deck building would change is that you'd have to google what the best decks are and then manually assemble them.. Pointless and only appeals to hardcore players who already have other ways to get that kind of fix.

mliecah
Apr 17, 2011

bonerchamp

JazzFlight posted:

Are you basing off of your knowledge of the Japanese legal system?
Because that's what PW is based on and it's pretty hosed up in terms of their conviction rate. It's kinda why the game exists (in defense of defense lawyers and changing the legal system).

Nope, I suppose I should've though. Is it somewhat close to the Japanese legal system then?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

mliecah posted:

Nope, I suppose I should've though. Is it somewhat close to the Japanese legal system then?

You're better off not looking into the japanese judicial system. It's hilariously broken.

vvv It's just a video game. A silly, anime video game.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 2, 2013

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

mliecah posted:

For all the complaints I do have with PW, this isn't one of them. It usually feels like proving someone didn't commit the crime in these cases involves proving who did, because you've never actually brought to light events that made it impossible for your defendant to commit the crime. That is, in the Steel Samurai case, for example, until you manage to prove who actually killed the guy and how everything went down, the alternative of "Will Powers did it" is still both viable and more logical than what you're suggesting. Also, the game does take place in a bizarre alternate-universe courtroom with all kinds of weird rules and laws, and reminds you of such occasionally. I'm also not sure why there's a jury there at all, as the Judge always just makes his call on the spot.

What does bug me is that this is how it always works out. You're never in a situation where you can prove your defendant is innocent without also proving someone else did it, you never end up defending someone who actually did it, etc. Every case is essentially the same, and it's not helped at all by the fact that you literally see exactly what happened, usually including the killer's face before every single case. The other big fault I find with the series is that you so often know exactly what's going on when your character doesn't, and as such can't act on it correctly, which is more of a problem with adventure games in general. I don't mean like by you having advance knowledge of the plot, but rather the cases where you're able to put two and two together and come to a conclusion but you can't make Phoenix just out with it until someone else tells him, or you have to do so in a weird way.

Oh, this person has a camera that goes off when a microphone picks up a loud banging noise and it's pointed right at the scene of a murder by gunshot? Welp, better try to leave so that my little girl sidekick decides to tell me what the implication is before I can ask about it.

To be clear: I loving love the PW games, but replaying them again is making me remember how stupid a lot of the setup is and how great a game almost exactly the same would be if it didn't hold your hand quite as much.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

mliecah posted:

The general consensus is that the "Japanifornia" universe is different, where the legal system is heavily stacked against the defendant. Yeah, normally the onus is on the prosecution to prove 'beyond a reasonable doubt', but in the PW games all they have to do is say "yeah this guy probably did it". The defense has to not only prove the defendant is innocent, but also prove that another person committed the crime in order to get the Not Guilty verdict.

Basically, don't be bothered by it too much. A lot of the law stuff is exaggerating the problems the Japanese legal system had at the time with a healthy dose of video game logic.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I think my only complaint about PW is how slow it is to navigate the menus. Like, if you go to another page of evidence in the court records it takes too long for the next page to load. It totally feels like an old DS game which just feels weird considering how snappy ios menus are.

I'm still enjoying it though and I can't wait till 5 comes out.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

KarmaticStylee posted:

I couldn't disagree more. The guy who decided to kill deckbuilding Is a genius. I've been playing magic sinc e early 90's and at least once a year I get the itch to get some games in. The ios version is perfect for noobs or long time players like me that are looking for a casual experience. All deck building would change is that you'd have to google what the best decks are and then manually assemble them.. Pointless and only appeals to hardcore players who already have other ways to get that kind of fix.

You must not play much nowadays because there are a ton of people who play Magic that couldn't give two shits about net decks.

DotP is a great system, and a nice port of the game. I don't mind that you're only given a specific deck and specific cards that you can play with it, but it doesn't really promote the creativity that Magic can have at all. And that creativity is very much the point for a very large portion of the fanbase.

edit: Talking out of my rear end about features.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 3, 2013

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

rickiep00h posted:

I hate that you can't trade one-for-one; you can only add, and the game automatically allocates land based on what you've added.

The current version, which is the one with the iOS port, allows you to remove any card you want from your deck after you've added one, as long as you don't go under 60. It still determines lands automatically, though, which still sucks.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Funkmaster General posted:

The current version, which is the one with the iOS port, allows you to remove any card you want from your deck after you've added one, as long as you don't go under 60. It still determines lands automatically, though, which still sucks.

:monocle:

I must have missed that in 2013. I stand corrected. Editing.

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

mliecah posted:

More egregious is the ability to steal evidence to present in court or to gain access to locked areas. That said, it's still a lot of fun.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Every case is essentially the same, and it's not helped at all by the fact that you literally see exactly what happened, usually including the killer's face before every single case. The other big fault I find with the series is that you so often know exactly what's going on when your character doesn't, and as such can't act on it correctly, which is more of a problem with adventure games in general.

Your first complaint isn't actually true. Yes, the first game does this for the first two cases, but it doesn't for the other three, and the other two games don't do it at all. You sometimes get a short cutscene before a case, but it's nearly always misleading in some way, or vague enough that it's not much help at all (again, excepting the first two cases of the first game).

As for your second complaint, while this can be a problem when investigating outside of court, and in court during the first (and perhaps second) intentionally easy cases of each game, I rarely encountered it - at least certainly not as much as you seem to be implying. However, I get that this is pretty subjective, so I guess you could've felt it quite a bit more than I did.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

What does bug me is that this is how it always works out. You're never in a situation where you can prove your defendant is innocent without also proving someone else did it, you never end up defending someone who actually did it, etc. Every case is essentially the same, and it's not helped at all by the fact that you literally see exactly what happened, usually including the killer's face before every single case. The other big fault I find with the series is that you so often know exactly what's going on when your character doesn't, and as such can't act on it correctly, which is more of a problem with adventure games in general. I don't mean like by you having advance knowledge of the plot, but rather the cases where you're able to put two and two together and come to a conclusion but you can't make Phoenix just out with it until someone else tells him, or you have to do so in a weird way.

It's big spoilers to point out what but you're incredibly wrong about one of your points in here, and having played the games you should feel ashamed because it was one of the best cases.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Merchant to the Stars sounds interesting, but I think what I want is a game where you hand out the quests to the Heroes, and depending on how they do, it causes your town/kingdom/whatever to imrpove or degrade.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

Merchant to the Stars sounds interesting, but I think what I want is a game where you hand out the quests to the Heroes, and depending on how they do, it causes your town/kingdom/whatever to imrpove or degrade.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Kinda. Good memory!

I wanted you to be the town elder, so to speak, you're the guy who trains/sells/boards heroes and then when they come back, you treat em like gold, give them a house you build onto, give them a statue, have the hero being home heads of monsters etc.

This game seems to just be the same "buy/sell/craft" with no real progression.

Dungeon Village kinda has elements of that. Hope you like menus.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

smenj posted:

Your first complaint isn't actually true. Yes, the first game does this for the first two cases, but it doesn't for the other three, and the other two games don't do it at all. You sometimes get a short cutscene before a case, but it's nearly always misleading in some way, or vague enough that it's not much help at all (again, excepting the first two cases of the first game).

I definitely remember it being annoying in the second game as well, although maybe it wasn't quite to the degree as the first few cases of the first game. It's been a while.

Dewgy posted:

It's big spoilers to point out what but you're incredibly wrong about one of your points in here, and having played the games you should feel ashamed because it was one of the best cases.

I played through the second game about three years ago, and half of the third immediately after. This is my first time playing the first and I'm in the middle of the fourth case now. Never played any of the ones that don't star Phoenix. So, yeah, there's probably one or two cases that go against what I said, but the overall point still stands in that there's not much variety to the story and case structure. Hear initial story -> find vague clues that don't mean much -> trial, combine clues with witness testimony to find hole in the story -> go back for more clues -> trial again, get suspicious of witness -> more clues -> trial, get witness found guilty.

Since the second game is the only one of the trilogy I've totally completed (and enough time has passed that I don't remember many of the details), I'm planning on taking advantage of the port's format to skip the investigations entirely and play only the court segments, piecing together the missing info from the evidence in my inventory. I suspect that will end up making the game more enjoyable for me.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 3, 2013

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Spoiler involves the second half of the third game, so explains why you don't know what I'm talking about! You'll enjoy it. :)

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Sad lions posted:

5 works decent enough in battle (with a neat auto battle option that makes levelling way easier if you're like me and abuse the monk skill) but navigating outside of battle is awkward and off-putting thanks to the virtual D pad that appears centred where ever you touch the screen.
Graphically it's the original sprite design for enemies (upscaled) but they changed the look of all main characters and people in towns. I think I heard somewhere that they are just modified sprites from FF Dimensions.

I keep hearing people say that FF5 is based on Dimensions, which makes me wonder if they've actually played both games. FF5 is a pretty big jump from FFD, there's way more detail and animation for the characters. I didn't have any problems beating FF5, the only times the Dpad became an issue is when you have to navigate narrow corridors with pits, but that's only a couple of spots in the game.

The jump from the SNES to iOS version is also pretty drastic, if you look at the original game after playing the new version, it's like a completely different game.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
What does resetting quests in town do in Warhammer Quest? Does it mean I can do the same quests again or do I get a fresh quest line?

Also, why would you retire an adventurer? Because they get bad stat rolls?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Apocron posted:

What does resetting quests in town do in Warhammer Quest? Does it mean I can do the same quests again or do I get a fresh quest line?

Also, why would you retire an adventurer? Because they get bad stat rolls?

I assume you can simply do the same quest for the village again but I haven't done it. You may want to retire and adventurer because of poo poo rolls, I keep considering re-rolling my iron breaker and archer due to them each getting ballistic skill increases and weapon skill respectively.

Having just bought the Skaven pack, I got into one of those bad luck streaks where you cannot get out of a room. Every single end of turn had another encounter for 11 turns. I counted. I also got level 5 to 6 done on everyone but my wizard.

Are skills random on level up as well as stats? I have a level 5 grey wizard who still has yet to get occam's razors :saddowns:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Looking for a recommendation on a game.

I'd like something a bit privateer-ish, if that makes any sense. Have a spaceship, fly point A to B, blow crap up, use the procedes from blowing crap up to upgrade your ship to blow crap up better. Ideally it would be a capital ship but whatever.

Honestly I should just deal with it and re-install X3 on my computer but I'm kind of in a time crunch right now and trying to avoid doing any gaming more intensive than what I can get away with on an iPad.

Galaxy on Fire (HD version if you can run it) has already been suggested. Have you checked out Vendetta Online? It's an actual Privateer-style space MMO, multi platform, that has been running for years. Came to iOS recently. I actually bought it, but was too busy to play it beyond the tutorial area, and I need to buy a subscription to go back in. Which, when I have time I intend to do so.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I think Cyrano only has an old iPod, so newer games requiring fancy iOS 6 or iPad hardware aren't going to work.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
In WQ are there only 9 main story quests or does each down have 9 quests?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

KGBAgent185 posted:

I assume you can simply do the same quest for the village again but I haven't done it. You may want to retire and adventurer because of poo poo rolls, I keep considering re-rolling my iron breaker and archer due to them each getting ballistic skill increases and weapon skill respectively.

Having just bought the Skaven pack, I got into one of those bad luck streaks where you cannot get out of a room. Every single end of turn had another encounter for 11 turns. I counted. I also got level 5 to 6 done on everyone but my wizard.

Are skills random on level up as well as stats? I have a level 5 grey wizard who still has yet to get occam's razors :saddowns:

Yes, skills are randomly chosen from a pool.

Each town has one quest line, but each town will generate an endless number of side quests if you are so inclined to gather items and murder orks in large numbers. In case anyone hasn't figured this out yet: quest rewards are based on your group level (as in all 4-7 characters in your company) but individual dungeon difficulty is set based on the levels of the characters going into the dungeon. If you bought more than one of the extra characters, this can allow you to play them in a dungeon that isn't filled with poo poo that will one shot them.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 3, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Original_Z posted:

I keep hearing people say that FF5 is based on Dimensions, which makes me wonder if they've actually played both games. FF5 is a pretty big jump from FFD, there's way more detail and animation for the characters. I didn't have any problems beating FF5, the only times the Dpad became an issue is when you have to navigate narrow corridors with pits, but that's only a couple of spots in the game.

The jump from the SNES to iOS version is also pretty drastic, if you look at the original game after playing the new version, it's like a completely different game.

They mean the art style is from FFD other than that they are completely different. Some people (such as myself) hate the new artstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

As someone who loved the original character sprites, the new style is a bit awful and soulless.
Also it's ridiculous saying that it looks completely different as the only thing they haven't just copied (ie. traced the sprites or whatever) exactly are the human sprites.
It looks almost exactly the same except for the main characters and people in towns.
Also some confusion may come from the sprites and new controls considering the world still has that same square grid floor layout.
And the display looks a little hazy on a retina. God knows what res it is but it sure doesn't take advantage of retina.

• Locked thread