Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Thumbtacks posted:

I liked it, actually. I only fell once at the beginning. Just go slow and safe.

Slow and safe while looking out for Republic characters. :D It's a nightmare on a PVP server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Reveilled posted:

I thought some of her dialogues were different depending on whether you were light or dark? She talked a hell of a lot about "reforming the empire" on my light sided inquisitor, I thought she talked about different stuff if you were dark?

Nope. It's pretty clear when she's picked up she's supposed to have some sort of DS story or something but I think it must have been cut at some point late in production.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I just apply for that's no goon, I fell a bit lonely on light side and made an Imperial agent. Is there a general chat I can join before I get accepted?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Bleusilences posted:

I just apply for that's no goon, I fell a bit lonely on light side and made an Imperial agent. Is there a general chat I can join before I get accepted?

As far as I know there was one but it was pretty dead on EU times a few months ago. :smith:

WhiteBoyShuffle
Nov 1, 2004
How is HK-51 as a companion? I was thinking about trying to start the deal to get him but not sure how it would go. I have a level 50 powertech BH that I shelved just before 2.0.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

WhiteBoyShuffle posted:

How is HK-51 as a companion? I was thinking about trying to start the deal to get him but not sure how it would go. I have a level 50 powertech BH that I shelved just before 2.0.

He's pretty fantastic as an RDPS especially when you et your presence bonuses.

He tosses out unreal dps because he gets all of his moves which are awesome.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Team THEOLOGY posted:

He's pretty fantastic as an RDPS especially when you et your presence bonuses.

He tosses out unreal dps because he gets all of his moves which are awesome.

Just note that he apparently comes with level 50 (or 55?) gear, even if you unlock him on an alt. So you need to gear him yourself somehow pre-cap.

WhiteBoyShuffle
Nov 1, 2004
What I was thinking was to unlock with my main, then use my cybertech to make the droid parts so I think I would be alright.

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
What level/planet do you need to be to unlock him?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

50; it starts in section x.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just picked up 4 weekly warzone passes for 45,000 credits a piece. :D

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'm thinking about maybe grabbing HK-51 when I'm finished my smuggler. But am I going to have to put up with constant annoying (-1 HK-51) popups every time I do something non-murderous if I level with him? I know it's trivial but I can't help finding that irritating.

EDIT: Also, am I imagining things or do the final conversations for each companion sort of imply you'd be able to use them on other characters as a reward for completing their arcs? I know that's not currently possible, but the way every single one refers to your "legacy" in the final convo makes it seem like this was a planned feature.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 2, 2013

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I think getting HK-51 is worth it if you're an alt-whore and crafting-whore like me. I think all gear being equal, he's got a slight edge on other ranged DPS companions and he has a nice 1 hit kill move he can use every once in a while. However, if you have a companion in better than blue 51s, they'll out DPS him.

To me, he's worth it just to have an extra companion while you're leveling for crafting, and for the +1 crafting critical bonus to whatever you have him do.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

hobbesmaster posted:

Nope. It's pretty clear when she's picked up she's supposed to have some sort of DS story or something but I think it must have been cut at some point late in production.

:eng101: Companions were supposed to have multiple stories to go through. Vette was supposed to have her normal Light Side story and a Dark Side one where constant zapping would lead her to being less willful, and more of a violent character. The lines for this have been dug up, and confirmed by Devs! Only other confirmed characters for different stories (That I recall) are Mako (dark side becomes addicted to revenge/violence) and Ashara (becomes more like Dark Side Jaesa.).

The other ones are more questionable on what the stories would be, but I'd assume most companions that weren't gotten on like Hoth would have them.

BobSaget
Aug 25, 2008

BaldandBlack on Prophecy of the Five. Please invite me.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BobSaget posted:

BaldandBlack on Prophecy of the Five. Please invite me.

Even if there were a real Pot5 goon guild, we would still need to know what faction you are.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

tallian posted:

Even if there were a real Pot5 goon guild, we would still need to know what faction you are.

I just invited them to The Unguilded...but seriously, if someone has a more active empire guild...let me know.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

:eng101: Companions were supposed to have multiple stories to go through. Vette was supposed to have her normal Light Side story and a Dark Side one where constant zapping would lead her to being less willful, and more of a violent character. The lines for this have been dug up, and confirmed by Devs! Only other confirmed characters for different stories (That I recall) are Mako (dark side becomes addicted to revenge/violence) and Ashara (becomes more like Dark Side Jaesa.).

The other ones are more questionable on what the stories would be, but I'd assume most companions that weren't gotten on like Hoth would have them.

Jaesa has multiple story quests, Ashara wouldn't have hurt! Except I guess she doesn't have much of a character anyways... :/

WhiteBoyShuffle
Nov 1, 2004
I would imagine the quest line being easier if I get my main to 55 before doing the flashpoint parts of the quest? Even at 55 one would still need to get a group for that one hard mode one?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

hobbesmaster posted:

Jaesa has multiple story quests, Ashara wouldn't have hurt! Except I guess she doesn't have much of a character anyways... :/

The issue wasn't about who had character and who didn't - the SW was one of the first two classes (along with the Jedi Knight) to be created, story wise, thus why Jaesa has the full 'light or dark companion' thing, and why Vette has the beginnings to her alternate storyline still in the game. Bioware was, once again, too ambitious, and what I assume was the massively growing costs of the VA's encouraged them to cut the companions down to a single story.

So now you get things like Mako being fine with romancing someone who murders innocents for laughs.

Lymond
May 30, 2013

Dark Lord in training
I just hit 38 with a Jedi Guardian and my interest in the game is nosediving. Once you've saved a half-dozen planets, the prospect of saving another one leaves you a little cold (or plenty cold, since the next one is Hoth). I'm also annoyed that the game teases you with the prospect of going after the Sith Emperor, so you get the stealth technology required to find it and then... you get to play nanny saving unrelated people in unrelated planets. This is why you get your rear end handed to you, Republic! Priorities! :rant:

Does it get better?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Lymond posted:

I just hit 38 with a Jedi Guardian and my interest in the game is nosediving. Once you've saved a half-dozen planets, the prospect of saving another one leaves you a little cold (or plenty cold, since the next one is Hoth). I'm also annoyed that the game teases you with the prospect of going after the Sith Emperor, so you get the stealth technology required to find it and then... you get to play nanny saving unrelated people in unrelated planets. This is why you get your rear end handed to you, Republic! Priorities! :rant:

Does it get better?

Everything I've heard about the Jedi Guardian storyline is that it's very bland vanilla star wars fare (save planet, save planet, you are the CHOSEN ONE, save planet), with a similarly typical epic finale that's pretty drat awesome. So if you find saving planets boring then in a sense, yes, it gets better...once you finish Corellia?

But I've never personally done Guardian so I'm talking out of my arse with third hand info.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
The end quest of Jedi Knight Chapter 2 is one of the better moments in the game in my opinion, though it's also one that could clearly be much improved if it were not shackled to the MMO format.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

So now you get things like Mako being fine with romancing someone who murders innocents for laughs.

Be fair, that's just a typical Bioware romance.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

The issue wasn't about who had character and who didn't - the SW was one of the first two classes (along with the Jedi Knight) to be created, story wise, thus why Jaesa has the full 'light or dark companion' thing, and why Vette has the beginnings to her alternate storyline still in the game. Bioware was, once again, too ambitious, and what I assume was the massively growing costs of the VA's encouraged them to cut the companions down to a single story.

I wouldn't mind them using some of their profits now to add more companion content, but I have a hunch that they're getting just enough to continue forward endgame progression and make Cartel Market junk, and that that kind of 'adventure pack' style of cash shop purchase isn't in their model anywhere.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

KittyEmpress posted:

They said at GDC it was mainly the cost of QA, and paying all of the people to actually design/write/assemble all of the extra content that comes as a consequence of having choices in the story line. Presumably that extends to companions.

Voice work is dirt cheap these days. It is a poorly paid industry.

WhiteBoyShuffle
Nov 1, 2004
The slow ramp up on the story also comes into play in the Bounty Hunter story. I found the later acts more interesting then the first one. Even more so on the conclusion of the story.

Although I do wonder if all of the class stories happen at the same time or do events in one story happen in a sort of time line?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Warmachine posted:

I wouldn't mind them using some of their profits now to add more companion content, but I have a hunch that they're getting just enough to continue forward endgame progression and make Cartel Market junk, and that that kind of 'adventure pack' style of cash shop purchase isn't in their model anywhere.

Well, understand that the class stories were an unmitigated disaster. 8 independent stories with a large amount of plot states and voice work in an mmorpg. The game only exists today because f2p was actually profitable.

Strom Thurmond
Jul 24, 2004

by XyloJW
Was talking to an old friend tonight after having just re-rolled on JC. he told me 2.2 is supposed to be bringing paid server transfers. Google led me here: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/feature/7403/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Cathar-Update-21-Free-To-Play-.html

quote:

MMORPG.com: Are for-pay server transfers coming? If so, when can players look forward to this service? Can you talk about any additional for-pay services players can look forward to?

Cory Butler: Paid Character Transfers were originally slated to be part of Game Update 2.1, but we ran into a few bugs with the new Legacy Achievement system. You can expect Paid Character Transfers to be coming in hot on the heels of Game Update 2.1. No new announcements for paid services to make at this time.

Makes re-rolling much more appealing to me, since I know I can eventually bring my main over too. Took them about a year too long, but better late than never. This might be old news to many, but I wanted the other people who are waiting in the wings to hear about it too.

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Promethium posted:

The end quest of Jedi Knight Chapter 2 is one of the better moments in the game in my opinion, though it's also one that could clearly be much improved if it were not shackled to the MMO format.

I'm playing through the imperial agent's story, just finished Hoth, and have enjoyed it immensely so far...but I am more than a little tired of grinding out levels (pvp or the generic planetary quests) so bosses don't crush me. The game would be so much better if it was not made to soak up a gargantuan amount of time on pointless nonsense which was most certainly done to "encourage" player retention.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Differo Cathedra posted:

I'm playing through the imperial agent's story, just finished Hoth, and have enjoyed it immensely so far...but I am more than a little tired of grinding out levels (pvp or the generic planetary quests) so bosses don't crush me. The game would be so much better if it was not made to soak up a gargantuan amount of time on pointless nonsense which was most certainly done to "encourage" player retention.

I'm trying to treat this as mostly a single-player game, but I've hit the same roadblock. I managed to cheese my way through to Hoth on my Sith Warrior, and now I'm looking at a solid wall of red quests. I'm wondering if I should go back and quest, or try grinding warzones or flashpoints, or what. I just want to find out what happens next. :smith:

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Hey I could use some help with the Collections thing. I bought a speeder and then paid the cost to unlock it for all my characters. So far so good and it shows up in Collections as being unlocked for everyone. But when I try to press the claim button on my L11 mercenary, it tells me I don't meet the requirements to claim this item. On the store page it says I need to be level 10. Both the original character that bought the speeder and the new alt are Imperial so I don't think it's a faction thing.

What am I doing wrong?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

boneration posted:

Hey I could use some help with the Collections thing. I bought a speeder and then paid the cost to unlock it for all my characters. So far so good and it shows up in Collections as being unlocked for everyone. But when I try to press the claim button on my L11 mercenary, it tells me I don't meet the requirements to claim this item. On the store page it says I need to be level 10. Both the original character that bought the speeder and the new alt are Imperial so I don't think it's a faction thing.

What am I doing wrong?

Do you have the Speeder Piloting skill?

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Nipponophile posted:

Do you have the Speeder Piloting skill?

No... the speeder came with Improved Speeder Piloting I so I assumed that would come with the claim. I take it I was wrong :(

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

boneration posted:

No... the speeder came with Improved Speeder Piloting I so I assumed that would come with the claim. I take it I was wrong :(

Yea you definitely need that either legacy or char unlocked to use it unfortunately.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So, I've found the one bonus to being addicted to an MMO instead of some other game - I can install it anywhere and play my 'saves', even when I'm spending a few days at a friends house.

Loving my Agent still. Taris continues to be my favorite planet just for showing up Thana at every point in the planet quest. Even better since this is my first male character (I didn't know Vector was so cool - my guild said he was terrible and boring and 'literally worse than the cat', so I remade my agent to male) and I can flirt with her. Every time he flirts he sounds so smug.

"Oh, you sent me a gift of hostile droids? How about we get dinner after I blow them up :smugdog:"

I want to make a smuggler next, but I've yet to play a Inquisitor/Consular, and feel like I should probably collect all the buffs before playing the mirrors. Something about shotgunning people in the back though..

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

boneration posted:

Worst case scenario you wait until level 15 and spend 270c for the skill.

Also I want a Solus Secant damnit, need to hit up Best Buy for a CC card so I can get their promotional pet...

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

So free APAC server transfers are opening up in a day or so, and we can move anywhere. Is That's No Goon on JC considered the most active Empire guild?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the only goon guild that could be called active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Rasmussen posted:

So free APAC server transfers are opening up in a day or so, and we can move anywhere. Is That's No Goon on JC considered the most active Empire guild?

I can't promise anything for Australasian time zones, but yeah we're active.

• Locked thread