Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013
LTE tower just turned on next to my house. Woop woop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SpelledBackwards posted:

If my dad wants to get an iPhone 5 and use it while traveling in India, what options does he have? Sprint.com/sww only mentions paying roaming fees using their service, whereas I've read you can get Sprint to unlock the phone after 90 days from activation. At that point, you're bound to Sprint in the US, but you can pop in a SIM obtained overseas whenever you want while traveling, right?

People at Best Buy were telling him he couldn't do the latter, but it sounds like they're full of poo poo.

Have him call international (in the Op), and ask. That tends to be the policy, but they do have the final call on whether they unlock it or not.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

SpelledBackwards posted:

If my dad wants to get an iPhone 5 and use it while traveling in India, what options does he have? Sprint.com/sww only mentions paying roaming fees using their service, whereas I've read you can get Sprint to unlock the phone after 90 days from activation. At that point, you're bound to Sprint in the US, but you can pop in a SIM obtained overseas whenever you want while traveling, right?

People at Best Buy were telling him he couldn't do the latter, but it sounds like they're full of poo poo.

Don't listen to any sales rep at best buy about anything, ever. Especially for wireless. If it's hard enough for a full time employee of a wireless company to understand all of its intricacies. Best buy employees sell multiple carriers products so their knowledge of a single one is mediocre at best.

It is correct that an iPhone can be unlocked for use with a non domestic simple card. I am not sure if the 90 day requirement is correct. I would suggest that prior to purchasing the phone you call Sprint's international customers care directly. International care are the only employees truly trained properly to handle international travel.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Am I missing something here, or am I just saving a flat 100 dollars on a HTC one or Galaxy S4 by ordering on amazon mobile for my contract upgrades?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Norns posted:

Am I missing something here, or am I just saving a flat 100 dollars on a HTC one or Galaxy S4 by ordering on amazon mobile for my contract upgrades?

Yes, but you have to be on a Sprint retail plan, not EPRP. I think you also may be subject to additional ETF if you cancel.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yes, but you have to be on a Sprint retail plan, not EPRP. I think you also may be subject to additional ETF if you cancel.

I'm on a retail plan with a 30% discount. Nothing in checkout shows that it's going to change anything on my plan.

Looks like i'm getting two HTC Ones for 200 bucks. (plus like 80 bucks of activation fees)

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Norns posted:

I'm on a retail plan with a 30% discount. Nothing in checkout shows that it's going to change anything on my plan.

Looks like i'm getting two HTC Ones for 200 bucks. (plus like 80 bucks of activation fees)

I've never heard of a 30% discount. As a warning you will have to verify your discount. So if it's not a discount you (assuming you're the account hikder) are eligible for be prepared to lose it.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Is there any way at all to get out of the $39 activation fee?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

The Bananana posted:

Buy a used phone or get a discount that waives activation fees.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Giblet posted:

I've never heard of a 30% discount. As a warning you will have to verify your discount. So if it's not a discount you (assuming you're the account hikder) are eligible for be prepared to lose it.

It's a Staples corporate discount, not difficult to verify if they make me.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Norns posted:

It's a Staples corporate discount, not difficult to verify if they make me.

I would double check that, that's actually the discount you are on. You may have been signed up for the incorrect discount because a sleazy sales guy wanted to make a sale.

30% would be the highest discount on a consumer plan that I have ever seen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Giblet posted:

I would double check that, that's actually the discount you are on. You may have been signed up for the incorrect discount because a sleazy sales guy wanted to make a sale.

The highest discount I've seen was 27%, I think staples is 20-25%, so close enough. Checking is of course always the best course, but it seems he woukdnt be losing too much.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Giblet posted:

Seems like it's 22%, not a huge deal I guess.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Giblet posted:

Do they just contact you afterwards for verification? Activation is automated, right? What's required for proof of eligibility?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Re: Amazon
I think you also may be subject to additional ETF if you cancel.
Not on Sprint.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

dphi posted:

Do they just contact you afterwards for verification? Activation is automated, right? What's required for proof of eligibility?

Yes

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
Has anyone had their HTC One give them a message that its sim card isn't inserted? My brothers did and can't get rid of the message. Everything still works so I don't know what's up with it.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Bananana posted:

I think you can get out of it if you order online.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Stick100 posted:

I think you can get out of it if you order online.

Unless they changed this recently online has had activation fees for a while now.

DragonKeeper
Aug 4, 2004
MOLE GAVE ME THIS ACCOUNT OK GUYS
Pulled the trigger on a new HTC One. My Evo Shift has been slowly dying and I couldn't put off replacing it any longer. The SERO line in the OP gave me the number for a SERO specific(Maybe just SERO aware?) telesales department. 1-888-882-4030. Might be worth adding to the list. Unfortunately I will be losing any 4G coverage with this device switch, (The Shift was WiMax, and theres no LTE in the area yet) but such is life. I noticed new towers listed in the NV posts mentioning "Rochester" but they didn't say which Rochester. Maybe if it is here in NY I'll get some LTE soon. Maybe.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Giblet posted:

Unless they changed this recently online has had activation fees for a while now.

Sorry your information is probably much more accurate than mine.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Anyone else seeing REALLY LONG delays in text messages coming from people on other networks?

I live in Cincinnati, OH and the seem to send/receive just fine when I'm home...but when I'm anywhere other than my house (for example: I work in Dayton, OH and I was in Columbus, OH this weekend) I'm seeing 5 or 6 hour delays on receiving messages.

I emailed Sprint support, but it says it can be 3-5 days before they get back with you...

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Ozmodiar posted:

Anyone else seeing REALLY LONG delays in text messages coming from people on other networks?

I live in Cincinnati, OH and the seem to send/receive just fine when I'm home...but when I'm anywhere other than my house (for example: I work in Dayton, OH and I was in Columbus, OH this weekend) I'm seeing 5 or 6 hour delays on receiving messages.

I emailed Sprint support, but it says it can be 3-5 days before they get back with you...

I've gotten this lately while roaming with a REALLY weak signal, but the other person was also on sprint.

I got part 3 of a 4 part txt, then 5 hours later I was on a good signal and it was another hour before I got the other 3 parts.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

After about 8 months on Android with the EVO LTE, I just couldn't stand it anymore and went back to my Arrive and threw on the latest 7.8 Leadpoizon rom. Man it is good to be back. No more wake of death (Sense based roms), no more Multitasking fail when trying to browse the web and listen to TuneIn Radio at the same time, (Which kills TuneIn after about a minute or so), working GPS Voice Nav (Maps Never worked without eating all the ram and crashing, Bing Maps usually worked for the most part), my Zune Pass/Xbox Music is back, the hardware keyboard is a welcome return, e-mail is properly threaded, and doesn't redownload all my messages when it fails to login every so often due to connection issues, and it formats correctly, and overall it hasn't crashed, force closed, or anything in the 2 weeks I have been back on it.

Android has some killer nice apps, and the games are nicer on the duel core hardware vs my old 1st gen Snapdragon, but man is Windows Phone so much easier to just use and live with. Curse Sprint for making us wait soo long for a WP8 device but I hope the Nokia EOS makes it with that 41MP camera of awesome.

It might have just been the phone, roms, whatever, but even my buddy with a SIII had plenty of issues of his own with his main benifit being that 2G of ram. For an OS so advanced, it is one hell of a memory pig just like Windows Mobile was on the ancient hardware we ran it on. All Android continues to be to me is the old Windows Mobile Customizable experience but with a Linux base instead. It does work and you can change everything, but it never works 100%, 100% of the time.

The LTE is now regulated to gaming and Torque Track Recorder use when racing. :)

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
I'm looking to finally upgrade my galaxy nexus, and my only real concern is the development community. Which is more active currently, the HTC One or the S4? Also I'm hoping to stick with Paranoid Android if possible.

Encor3
Jun 29, 2005

Konnichiwa Bitches
My wife and I both have bone-stock Galaxy S3's and neither one is now receiving push updates for any app after the recent MD4 update that Sprint pushed. Mobile data and sync are turned on, sync is turned on in Gmail, background data is not restricted for any apps in the Data Usage menu, but when I or anyone else shoots me an email or a new item pops up in the SlickDeals app, we get no notifications.

Any thoughts?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Ryen Deckard posted:

I'm looking to finally upgrade my galaxy nexus, and my only real concern is the development community. Which is more active currently, the HTC One or the S4? Also I'm hoping to stick with Paranoid Android if possible.

I'm not near a computer to check for you but I would just browse through the rooms section on Android central and the development section of xda to get a feel for the communities.

The s4 will definitely sell more units which may help bolster the community but the HTC One seems to be touted as the best Android phone by a slim margin so it may get more of the power users.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

EdEddnEddy posted:

After about 8 months on Android with the EVO LTE, I just couldn't stand it anymore and went back to my Arrive and threw on the latest 7.8 Leadpoizon rom. Man it is good to be back. No more wake of death (Sense based roms), no more Multitasking fail when trying to browse the web and listen to TuneIn Radio at the same time, (Which kills TuneIn after about a minute or so), working GPS Voice Nav (Maps Never worked without eating all the ram and crashing, Bing Maps usually worked for the most part), my Zune Pass/Xbox Music is back, the hardware keyboard is a welcome return, e-mail is properly threaded, and doesn't redownload all my messages when it fails to login every so often due to connection issues, and it formats correctly, and overall it hasn't crashed, force closed, or anything in the 2 weeks I have been back on it.

Android has some killer nice apps, and the games are nicer on the duel core hardware vs my old 1st gen Snapdragon, but man is Windows Phone so much easier to just use and live with. Curse Sprint for making us wait soo long for a WP8 device but I hope the Nokia EOS makes it with that 41MP camera of awesome.

It might have just been the phone, roms, whatever, but even my buddy with a SIII had plenty of issues of his own with his main benifit being that 2G of ram. For an OS so advanced, it is one hell of a memory pig just like Windows Mobile was on the ancient hardware we ran it on. All Android continues to be to me is the old Windows Mobile Customizable experience but with a Linux base instead. It does work and you can change everything, but it never works 100%, 100% of the time.

The LTE is now regulated to gaming and Torque Track Recorder use when racing. :)

I love my HTC Arrive, even with a stock ROM, although I upgraded it to 7.8.
Lately though I am not getting any incoming calls. It is not ringing. I only know I got a call from voicemail or email from Google. My signal strength is fine. Not sure why this is happening. I did notice it lingering in 1X instead of EV. I am going to try disabling the Google Voice integration for now.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

DragonKeeper posted:

Pulled the trigger on a new HTC One. My Evo Shift has been slowly dying and I couldn't put off replacing it any longer. The SERO line in the OP gave me the number for a SERO specific(Maybe just SERO aware?) telesales department. 1-888-882-4030. Might be worth adding to the list. Unfortunately I will be losing any 4G coverage with this device switch, (The Shift was WiMax, and theres no LTE in the area yet) but such is life. I noticed new towers listed in the NV posts mentioning "Rochester" but they didn't say which Rochester. Maybe if it is here in NY I'll get some LTE soon. Maybe.
Rochester's a fourth-round market. Last in line for NV deployment. You'll be waiting 'til 2014 for LTE.

CharlesM posted:

I love my HTC Arrive, even with a stock ROM, although I upgraded it to 7.8.
Lately though I am not getting any incoming calls. It is not ringing. I only know I got a call from voicemail or email from Google. My signal strength is fine. Not sure why this is happening. I did notice it lingering in 1X instead of EV. I am going to try disabling the Google Voice integration for now.
In my experience, if you spend a lot of time on 1X, then calls will often just not come through to you.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I really don't know why it's switching to 1X. I don't know if it's a network issue or my phone.
Edit: Hard reset in addition to disabling Google Voice. No difference. drat it. I will have to test while I am away from home to see if it's a local issue.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 5, 2013

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

td4guy posted:

Rochester's a fourth-round market. Last in line for NV deployment.
One of those must be wrong, because I guarantee Rochester's ahead of Buffalo.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

WoG posted:

One of those must be wrong, because I guarantee Rochester's ahead of Buffalo.

Why does Sprint hate Buffalo so much

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Rochester is ahead of Buffalo. By like a whole 2 3G towers. So they're pretty much equal. Both fourth-round markets.
Here's the list of fourth-round markets. The last of the bunch. I'm in there too. I'd guess it means that Sprint has the smallest percentage market share compared to its competitors. That's why they're lowest-priority.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

For anyone familiar with the Omaha area, Sprint has apparently put up an LTE site near the river.

That is, the Platte River, near the megalopolis of Valley, NE. I can imagine there are a few meteorologists who are very surprised that they are suddenly able to read a forecast on their phone while it's still a forecast.

For everyone else, how fast do they start developing a metro once they have a tower up?

E: it looks like neither the world nor the universe at large are ending, which is a pretty amateur scheduling mistake on Sprint's part.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 5, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ninmeister posted:

Why does Sprint hate Buffalo so much

I don't know. :(

We should all go down to Pearl Street and drink until we forget how lovely our city is (I had someone call it a "town" yesterday :shepicide:).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

My city isn't even in one of the rounds. Dammit.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

EdEddnEddy posted:

My city isn't even in one of the rounds. Dammit.

Most cities are part of a larger markets and won't be listed by themselves. If you post what city exactly then someone can quickly check the markets in s4gru for you if you don't have donor access.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Giblet posted:

Most cities are part of a larger markets and won't be listed by themselves. If you post what city exactly then someone can quickly check the markets in s4gru for you if you don't have donor access.
Or just look for it yourself on the table-breakingly huge map here.

DragonKeeper
Aug 4, 2004
MOLE GAVE ME THIS ACCOUNT OK GUYS

td4guy posted:

Rochester is ahead of Buffalo. By like a whole 2 3G towers. So they're pretty much equal. Both fourth-round markets.
Here's the list of fourth-round markets. The last of the bunch. I'm in there too. I'd guess it means that Sprint has the smallest percentage market share compared to its competitors. That's why they're lowest-priority.

Sigh. This was actually very helpful, and depressing. I was out in Buffalo recently and tried to pull up WiMax to tether off of, and couldn't believe there wasn't any to be had. Took ages just to load Gmail HTML only version off the 3G in Buffalo. Now I won't get LTE at home or away for god knows how long. Hope I won't have to use my laptop from the road much in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hah, Wyoming county isn't even on the map. My wife was trying to convince me to move to Batavia - no chance in hell, now.