Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Definitely an hour long.

This episode was loving amazing. Can't wait to see what they do next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If anyone was wondering, here's the HankCo griddle menu:

Bread Balls: We begin by hand rolling white bread into little balls and end by serving them to you. $2.50

Cheese Plate: American Cheese sliced the way you like it. $4.00

The Wondrous Wheel: Four chocolate cookies filled with white, sweet, creamy stuff. $2.00

The Pop Top: The best part of the tart served over the not so good part. $2.00

Corn Chip Mountain: A quarter pound of corn chips slathered with hot american cheese (Our chef's specialty) $6.00

The Dream Dragon: A pocket of powdered pudding is dusted lightly over highly toasted white bread $1.00

The Cyclops Sandwich: A tomato sandwich, served on a bagel with a grape in the middle. $4.50

Batter Up: Warm cake batter served in a collectable HankCo Cup. $6.00

Try something from out extensive collection of flavored waters. $1.50

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

This is the first time this year I wish I had cable.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I caved in. gently caress it I"m getting all those shirts!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

axleblaze posted:

If anyone was wondering, here's the HankCo griddle menu:

Bread Balls: We begin by hand rolling white bread into little balls and end by serving them to you. $2.50

Cheese Plate: American Cheese sliced the way you like it. $4.00

The Wondrous Wheel: Four chocolate cookies filled with white, sweet, creamy stuff. $2.00

The Pop Top: The best part of the tart served over the not so good part. $2.00

Corn Chip Mountain: A quarter pound of corn chips slathered with hot american cheese (Our chef's specialty) $6.00

The Dream Dragon: A pocket of powdered pudding is dusted lightly over highly toasted white bread $1.00

The Cyclops Sandwich: A tomato sandwich, served on a bagel with a grape in the middle. $4.50

Batter Up: Warm cake batter served in a collectable HankCo Cup. $6.00

Try something from out extensive collection of flavored waters. $1.50

If they don't have Student Green, I'm not getting anything.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
For anyone who missed it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug3NUpBmw_g

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

And for those who aren't aware already, the Halloween special takes place during this episode.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Holy poo poo, it's really smart of Adult Swim to put this up themselves.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Friends Are Evil posted:

Holy poo poo, it's really smart of Adult Swim to put this up themselves.

No poo poo, that's amazing of them. Time to watch it again!

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Wow!

Umph fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 3, 2013

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, jeez, I just realized that Dean is now living in the same attic that the failed Dean clone was. You even see some of the photos on the ground when he opens the door. I guess he's lucky the Dean-suit wasn't still up there.

knife super power
Nov 4, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

And for those who aren't aware already, the Halloween special takes place during this episode.

I thought that bump was just Adult Swim loving around with the viewers, until Dean mentioned Halloween in the episode. This also means that he found out halfway through the episode that he's a clone .

Bondii
May 31, 2003
King of The Cider Farm

Has Dermott always had a Dethklok poster? Because of course Dermott has a Dethklok poster.

http://youtu.be/Ug3NUpBmw_g?t=1m

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Cloks posted:

If they don't have Student Green, I'm not getting anything.

Hankco is basically running a company store. It's illegal as hell these days, but back in the day it was a common tactic back for mining barons to pay their employees with what were basically funbux that they could only spend in overpriced company stores, so they couldn't leave. After some miner revolts, the law of the land is that everybody has to get paid in dollars.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Uncle Wemus posted:

Given Jonas's swinger parties and Dr. Quym i'd say its likely.
Given the way Monarch talks about the original Dr. Venture, I very much doubt it.

Gumbercules posted:

My guess was that the Monarch played the role of Rusty Venture in the Rusty Venture television show - the rusty venture character has pointy ears and buck teeth. In one episode, Rusty mentions how he doesn't get any royalty money from the show - I think the Monarch gets it and that's how he funds all of his stuff.
Rusty Venture was a cartoon, and Rusty voiced himself.

That episode was great.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Holy poo poo, that was the perfect episode. The self-contained storyline was amazing and they set up all the plot threads for the rest of the season. Molotov and Monstroso are still alive, 21 vs the Monarch, Billy and Pete White vs the lamest villain ever... I was bracing myself to be let down, because there's no way this episode could meet the expectations of a fanboy like me, but it was better than I ever could've hoped.

This is going to be a good season. Hopefully good enough to rewatch for 2/3 years until season 6 starts up.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Holy poo poo, that was the perfect episode. The self-contained storyline was amazing and they set up all the plot threads for the rest of the season. Molotov and Monstroso are still alive, 21 vs the Monarch, Billy and Pete White vs the lamest villain ever... I was bracing myself to be let down, because there's no way this episode could meet the expectations of a fanboy like me, but it was better than I ever could've hoped.

This is going to be a good season. Hopefully good enough to rewatch for 2/3 years until season 6 starts up.

I'm holding out hope that this poo poo doesn't happen again with a 3ish year gap between seasons. This was posted back at the end of December on JP's LJ

quote:

We're also looking ahead to next season. Doc and I have big plans for season 6 and are champing at the bit to get started writing it. But first we have to write the script for our proposed long-form Venture Bros. special. We've got a pretty epic story planned, involving an epic number of cast members in an epic setting, so it's a pretty epic task ahead of us. The story will bridge seasons 5 & 6, so our mission is to tie up a lot of threads from season 5 (and 4, and 3…) and start a few new ones in the process. The sooner we write that, the sooner we'll write season 6--and the sooner we do all this writing, the sooner we'll be back on the air. My hope, as always, is to tighten that interminable gap between seasons--because I don't like waiting to show you new Venture Bros. any more than you like waiting to see new Venture Bros. So wish us luck…

My fear is whatever this special is comes 1-2 years after this season ends with another year or longer gap after.

knife super power
Nov 4, 2010
Thread title suggestion upon second viewing, "I thought you were having a push".

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

This is great, on my side a lot of the show got interupted with sudden 10-30 second skips forward.

Got to see the rest of the greensuits at the end!

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

So if you paid for all the shirts upfront you get both shirts from this episode?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLq3UBbZVuM This was posted in the teamfortress thread.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I definitely spent more time on this than I should have.

Billy eat the pennies.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

^^^ That is excellent.

incorporeal posted:

So if you paid for all the shirts upfront you get both shirts from this episode?

Yes! It says "This shirt is included with a Venture Bros Shirt Club subscription." under the description of both shirts. I'm excited!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

axleblaze posted:

God drat, that was INSANE!

Now the difficult task of figuring out a new thread title...

The Venture Brothers Season 5: "Why do you still have tits?"

Mr_Rabies
Oct 2, 2005

Was that Urbaniak on the Titmouse "Chirp"?

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
Season opener was great: laughed, bought tshirt club subscription, voting for 'EAT THE PENNIES'.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
not gonna eat the f**ing pennies!!!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

The Impaler posted:

Season opener was great: laughed, bought tshirt club subscription, voting for 'EAT THE PENNIES'.

QUIZBOY EAT THE PENNIES for the SA Smashmouth reference, I'd think.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yeah, she's dead by the end of the episode.

How wrong we were!

Which is nice really. Dean doesn't need that much pain.

A loving fantastic 1st episode and worth the wait.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

RandallODim posted:

I definitely spent more time on this than I should have.

Billy eat the pennies.

It's great, but the way his eyepatch changes sides whenever he moves his head makes him look like a cyclops.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Gumbercules posted:

My guess was that the Monarch played the role of Rusty Venture in the Rusty Venture television show - the rusty venture character has pointy ears and buck teeth. In one episode, Rusty mentions how he doesn't get any royalty money from the show - I think the Monarch gets it and that's how he funds all of his stuff.

The problem with your theory is that The Rusty Venture show was a cartoon. Not live action.

Oh, hi new page.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 3, 2013

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I feel like by the show's end Dean is going to actually become a super-villain and actually be competent at it thereby escaping his father's legacy.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

I feel like by the show's end Dean is going to actually become a super-villain and actually be competent at it thereby escaping his father's legacy.

I feel like Dean's eventual fate should be to completely escape the super science / super villainy world and just be a normal guy.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Uncle Wemus posted:

I hope they don't do another season without him in most of it.

Yeah. This.

Also, am I greedy for wanting every episode to be an hour long?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Bobulus posted:

I feel like Dean's eventual fate should be to completely escape the super science / super villainy world and just be a normal guy.

On some level, though he denies it now, Dean DOES enjoy parts of super science. I think he just doesn't like being molded into what his father wants him to be. By escaping and becoming a villain, hell he WAS the heir to the Guild, he would be his own man. Rusty went to poo poo not simply out his innate laziness, but because his dad's shadow molded him into a misshapen copy of him.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Red posted:

Also, am I greedy for wanting every episode to be an hour long?

Hell no. Between this episode and season four's finale they've proven they can expand the show's runtime without any loss in quality. In fact, in both cases they've used the extra time to weave in even more threads while still tying them into a solid episode.

Wasn't sure this could live up to the end of last season, but holy poo poo. And Doc once again proves that the only time he can be a competent scientist is when he's creating an abomination of some sort.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

door Door door posted:

And Doc once again proves that the only time he can be a competent scientist is when he's creating an abomination of some sort.

Did he?

I don't know that Rusty did much of anything besides clean out the abandoned warehouses, and enslave some interns. Martin seemed to actually develop the shield, Billy realized the mutations were happening, and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch found the scientist who could come up with an antidote. Unless we assume that Rusty actually had the formula or foundation for the science, which his interns ran with - he literally sat back and drank while everything fell apart around him.

His narcotic cocktail conveniently drove off The Monarch, and probably made all the interns think their memories of mutating were just hallucinogenic hazes.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I love Augustus St. Cloud.

He's so petty.

The Monarch, who's motive is literally "I deeply enjoy being a dick to Dr. Venture" is a more reasonable and believable villain.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
So there's only going to be 10 episodes this season, but the season opener was already double length and the finale episode will probably be double length too... that's really more like having a 12 episode season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Why aren't more people talking about this? That episode was amazing! The mind meld bits and Deans fantasies had me rolling, as did Dean getting the attic.