Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

merricat blackwood
May 10, 2009
Cask #12 - New York -

I've been playing around with Google Earth and come up with a few things, although they may be nothing at all.

Verse 10

In the shadow
Of the grey giant
Find the arm that
Extends over the slender path

This got me to thinking about toll bridges, the arm being the toll bar. So I looked for bridges over slender waterways around New York.

The East River has the Hellgate and the Kennedy. I picked the East River because my husband noticed the line "Or gaze north Toward the isle of B." and reminded me about North Brother Island.

Cars abound (on the bridges)

Now, taking some pictures of things that remind me of the drawing - the supports under the bridge remind me of the Roman numerals on the clock:

The sides of the bridge also remind me of the V's on the clock face:

And then, across the river from this spot, is this:

Which I think matches the building or monolith in the drawing.

Maybe it's nothing - I'm 3600 miles away and I can't check - but there are a lot of parks in that general area, south of North Brother Island in Queens.

And I just wanted to say I'm in awe of the smart people who are figuring all this stuff out!

(Edited to add - I don't know why my images didn't show up, I'm sorry!) (no HTML!-- the admins)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Something else no one seems to have noticed is the odd shadow under her nose. It's far too long to be natural.

It looks to be the shape of a fish, or perhaps a dolphin (looks like two flukes at the edge of her cheek, a dorsal fin at the edge of her mouth).

The shadows covering her eyes seem odd as well. She seems to be lit from the left (her right) based on the shading, but the nose and eye shadows make it seem from directly above her. It's just all wrong. There has to be a clue in all that somewhere.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but no one got any traction on it. I still haven't gotten any ideas.

Delthalaz posted:

Okay so I absolutely need to stop now so I'm going to post the crazy thoughts I've been having in an effort to get them out of my head.

Assuming this works with the new york image.

Of all the romance retold
Men of tales and tunes
Cruel and bold
Seen here
By eyes of old

Okay, sounds like a playhouse or a courthouse
Stand and listen to the birds
Hear the cool, clear song of water
Harken to the words:
Freedom at the birth of a century
Or May 1913

I am mystified by this.
Edwin and Edwina named after him
As folks at the other forum noted, this has to be a reference to Edwin and Edwina Booth. According to the internet, Edwin Booth was named after Edwin Forrest, a notable American 19th century actor, so in a sense, his daughter was named after him too.

One of the things Edwin Forrest is most famous for is his incitement of the Astor Place Riot over rival performances of MacBeth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astor_Place_Riot)
[timg]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Mg9O6BE.png[/timg]
Or on the eighth a scene
Eighth street? Scene eight? Let's say follow eight street..

Where law defended
Between two arms extended
Below the bar that binds

If we follow eighth street from here we get to a library that used to be a court house - the Jefferson Market Library (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Market_Library)

http://untappedcities.com/tag/jefferson-market-library/

This former courthouse features beautiful stained glass windows created by Charles Booth. Some of the designs are quite geometrical, which may resemble the NY art (or not)

The courthouse also apparently has an unusual Tympanum depicting the trial scene from the Merchant of Venice. And the building used to be connected with a women's prison (http://untappedcities.com/2012/05/17/partners-in-preservation-jefferson-market-library/)
However, now that area is the "Jefferson Market Garden", which had actually opened by the time these objects were buried. Here's a neat little map

This might be the sort of place to bury a casket.

Sounds kind of court-y, or maybe Merchant of Venice, or possible instructions for where to look in the garden. Also, the men who designed the courthouse also went on to some design projects at the White House grounds. (http://greenwichvillagehistory.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/calvert-vaux-and-greenwich-village-architecture-3/)

Sadly I can't figure out how this would link up to most of the images, though you definitely would have been able to see the WTC from that location. It does have gargoyles, though they don't resemble the one in the art nearly as well as the Chrysler building.

e: I don't think this is a reference to the Booth statue in Gramercy Park I don't think there is a way anyone could bury anything there

Hey you posted a picture of my block! When I'm not on my phone ill take a deeper look. I know this area really well.

[

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 3, 2013

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Pilot to Gunner posted:

Ha, the first thing I said when I saw the illustration for cask 12 was- "what's up with the eagle head on that seagull?"

No way that is accidental.

:hfive: Bird nerds!

The gull part ties in nicely with the oceanic theme the rest of the picture has going on, but I have no clue what it actually means. There may be significance in the feathers missing on its right wing, too. Outline of something?

plaguedoctor
Jun 26, 2008

I CAN DUMP MY GIRLFRIEND CAUSE SHE'S LIKE A WHORE, RIGHT GUYS? RIGHT???

ruebennase posted:

NYC
If we take the Chrysler Building as the grey giant, the arm that extends over the slender path could be the Park Avenue Viaduct crossing 42nd street or possibly the statue on top of Grand Central.
Yeah, but if anything, I would refer to the Chrysler Building as the Silver Giant. I'm not sure why, but I just get a more silver or chrome vibe from it.
I would describe the Empire State Building as the grey giant instead. And the Statue of Liberty would be kind of pushing it in terms of greyishness.

Or, didn't people say things about the towers of the Brooklyn Bridge being grey giants? It seems like I may have heard that at some point, but then again, who knows...
In addition, is there a statue that looks like the statue on the cover of Atlas Shrugged in the city somewhere? In the financial district or thereabouts? Atlas = Titan = Giant and all that jazz.

edit:

Emacs Headroom posted:

There's at Atlas at Rockefeller Center, but it's bronze not grey.

Ah, poo poo, maybe that's what I was thinking of.

quote:

No idea about an Isle of B to the north or anything Russian in the area.
I'm not sure about the Russian thing, but someone mentioned Broadway as being the B in that part, and the fact that Broadway is the only street I can think of on Manhattan that has islands might be significant. Plus, burying something in a flower planter on an island on Broadway would probably be super easy.

Re: "object of Twain’s attention"

Wouldn't that be the Mississippi River? I feel like I would put that in New Orleans or St Louis before I would even look at San Francisco.

edit 2:
Actually, again maybe bronze but not gray, there is Alma Mater at Columbia:

And a couple hundred feet southeast of there is Hamilton Hall:

And just west of there is a couple of greens that they used to use as baseball practice fields.

The #1 is Alma Mater. The C on there is Hamilton Hall. The #2 is where a bookstore is/was. The part that says South Lawn is where they used to practice baseball back in the olden times.
I don't know what those white things on the south lawn are, though.

plaguedoctor fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 3, 2013

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Emacs Headroom posted:

The two solid color panes look like NYU colors. The other ones look like Ishihara plates, but you can't see any numbers or anything in them, which may mean something to do with assuming color-blindness? Like look as if you were color blind?
On the leftmost pane, I see what could be a sideways Ares zodiac sign.

plaguedoctor posted:

In addition, is there a statue that looks like the statue on the cover of Atlas Shrugged in the city somewhere? In the financial district or thereabouts? Atlas = Titan = Giant and all that jazz.
Yes, in front of Rockefeller center. And one of the rings of the armillary is decorated with the zodiac signs, so if that is an Ares symbol in the pane it might be connected.

double edit: there's also a statue of Prometheus, but it's gold, not grey.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 3, 2013

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

plaguedoctor posted:

There's at Atlas at Rockefeller Center, but it's bronze not grey.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

allta posted:

As you might have noticed in the verses there are several spelling errors, I figured they were important so I left them in, and I did my best to preserve the original spacing.

How ironic.

It seems the Chicago one is already found, what a shame. I would have loved to help out. I might find myself in Milwaukee, but not for a few months at least.

Sorry if this was already said, but how were the caskets buried? Few feet under? Even if you know where the casket is, how do you know exact enough to warrant digging? If say construction workers stumble on the caskets, is there anything to tell them about the mystery or is there a possibility some are lost to history?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Deteriorata posted:

Something else no one seems to have noticed is the odd shadow under her nose. It's far too long to be natural.

If she were a sundial, the shadow of her nose would be at roughly 1 P.M.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
There's a nice onion domed Russian Orthodox church on Driggs Ave in Williamsburg; the view of it from McCarren Park would match the silhouette of the NYC image decently.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Shadow0 posted:

How ironic.

It seems the Chicago one is already found, what a shame. I would have loved to help out. I might find myself in Milwaukee, but not for a few months at least.

Sorry if this was already said, but how were the caskets buried? Few feet under? Even if you know where the casket is, how do you know exact enough to warrant digging? If say construction workers stumble on the caskets, is there anything to tell them about the mystery or is there a possibility some are lost to history?

Author took a shovel, supposedly they're not more than 3 ft deep. Although neither account gave an exact depth, it seemed like caskets 1 & 2 were at about 1.5 ft.

If I were there, I'd just take a thin metal sounding rod and poke down to about 2-2.5 ft. depth, they're encased in plexiglass boxes.

There is a chance that construction workers or archaeologists dug them out, I doubt there's a chance in hell that they'd know what they found if they did. Also a chance that natural disasters (earthquakes, Katrina, other flooding) have done some damage. I think the Cleveland one was already in pieces when they found it in 2004.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

acmpsu21 posted:

This could very well be the woman in the picture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigrant_Mother_(sculpture)

It is located in Cathedral Square Park, three blocks east of City Hall. The shape of the park, while not a direct match, seems to be the closest resemblance to the pattern around the woman's neck out of anything else I can see on Google Earth.

Pros:
-Given that this whole thing is a tribute to immigrants, the statue is a great link.
-3 blocks from City Hall, "past three, staying west" - although west of what?
-While the base of the statue isn't Wonderstone, it is red granite, maybe the author didn't quite catch the distinction.
-Cathedral Square Park is fairly central, and I don't think much has changed there since 1982.
-Can still see city hall from there

Cons:

-Still doesn't explain the bridge/culvert
-proud, tall fifth still doesn't make sense
-supposed to be a letter from somewhere there, the statue seems barren (2nd edit: inscription reads: DEDICATED TO THE/ VALIANT IMMIGRANT MOTHERS/ BY WILLIAM GEORGE BRUCE/ IVAN MESTROVIC SCULPTOR)...
-I'm not seeing the pattern match

edit: other thoughts, the two solved puzzles had references to street names; that park is surrounded by Jefferson, Jackson, Wells and Kilbourn. Jefferson = 3rd president, Jefferson borders the west side of the park.

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 3, 2013

Serious George
Dec 29, 2010

In Britain, it means 'cigarettes'.
Like many have said, this thread is amazing, even though I'm not from or living in the USA. Regarding the New York verse/Verse 10 something has been rubbing me the wrong way:

'In summer
You'll often hear a whirring sound'

I have seen helicopters and even tourists' cameras suggested, but surely those are present most of the year. A whirring sound 'in summer' instantly makes me think of a lawnmower. This is a small thing, but who knows, it might trigger something.

baleze
Feb 23, 2005

Montrealer here (and city history buff). Imazul's post marks some very good points.

Imazul posted:

For these I do not see anything . What does the place where jewels abound mean? EDIT Supposedly, during world war 2 the British crown jewels were moved in the Sun Life Building.

I thought the exact same thing when I read that line.

quote:

Oh boy another interesting one. Right beside Place du Canada there is a well known hotel called Chateau Champlain (Champlain Castle).

I'd be tempted to say the Windsor Hotel is very castle-like too!

I'll have to head downtown and roam the area a bit this week!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I dreamt about this last night. Like, not the thread, but I dreamt that a cask was found, and I was there when it was found.

I was disappointed when I woke up and realized it was just a dream.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Dude! Print out the picture and the verse and walk the route. You know you want to! I think just being there with the picture and the verse may be all you need to finish this thing off. You might also find out who does the ground keeping for the park so whoever wants to dig can get permission.

Edit: I really like the "giant step" being musical. Look for something at the park like that.

There is a Giant trumpet statue there, but I'm not sure how old it is. I also think it is surrounded by concrete.

I need to find a really long metal rod (probably just get one from the Hardware store.) But even if I hit something I would need to dig kinda far down pretty quick, and there is a fair chance that It might be a rock or an old brick or something. The park is located right next to a very active police station.

What law would I be breaking if I was searching for treasure in Armstrong park? They would probably just cart me off to a mental ward.

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Abugadu posted:

Pros:
-Given that this whole thing is a tribute to immigrants, the statue is a great link.
-3 blocks from City Hall, "past three, staying west" - although west of what?
-While the base of the statue isn't Wonderstone, it is red granite, maybe the author didn't quite catch the distinction.
-Cathedral Square Park is fairly central, and I don't think much has changed there since 1982.
-Can still see city hall from there

Cons:

-Still doesn't explain the bridge/culvert
-proud, tall fifth still doesn't make sense
-supposed to be a letter from somewhere there, the statue seems barren (2nd edit: inscription reads: DEDICATED TO THE/ VALIANT IMMIGRANT MOTHERS/ BY WILLIAM GEORGE BRUCE/ IVAN MESTROVIC SCULPTOR)...
-I'm not seeing the pattern match

edit: other thoughts, the two solved puzzles had references to street names; that park is surrounded by Jefferson, Jackson, Wells and Kilbourn. Jefferson = 3rd president, Jefferson borders the west side of the park.

Here is how I am seeing the pattern match.... on the day Google Earth snapped their photo of the park, the statue was covered up by a tent for some kind of activity they were doing that day. So instead of a white blob, imagine there is a statue that more closely matches the color of the grass than the walkway:

The proud tall fifth could in some way refer to the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist right next to the park, which appears to have 5 stories if you count the very top part:

It still doesn't explain the bridge or culvert, I'm stumped on that.

e: oh god, tables.

Butthead fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 3, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Maguro posted:

There is a Giant trumpet statue there, but I'm not sure how old it is. I also think it is surrounded by concrete.

I need to find a really long metal rod (probably just get one from the Hardware store.) But even if I hit something I would need to dig kinda far down pretty quick, and there is a fair chance that It might be a rock or an old brick or something. The park is located right next to a very active police station.

What law would I be breaking if I was searching for treasure in Armstrong park? They would probably just cart me off to a mental ward.

Technically, it's destruction of public property. However, I'm sure once you explained what was going on and if you had a copy of the book for an explanation you might get lucky. Best thing to do is get a 2' thin pipe and use it to test first. The cask is buried in a plastic box, so you'll know the sound & fell versus say a rock or root.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
NYC

I had been wondering about the lady, too. If she's not Lady Liberty, she at least strongly resembles some other kind of Classical/Hellenistic/Roman/etc. personification of a virtue. Liberty, Justice, Education, etc. My first thought was that it might be Columbia, but most depictions of Columbia (in the anthropomorphic America sense) are clothed in red, white and blue, and often have a headdress of some sort. Then I thought that since she looks sort of regal, it might be a hint about Queens.... but if that were the case, I am sure they'd have two, queen standing in for Queens is too imprecise for this. Can any NYC goons think of other types of regal female figures that might be found around the city?

Another point-- someone else pointed out earlier that the top of the arch doesn't continue through the bird's wings. There's nothing between his wings at all. I don't think that's laziness or an accident. What can we make of that? Couldn't have anything to do with the V mentioned in the verse, could it? Or with the angle of the clock hands being similar?

Another additional point-- although I brought up the purple and white looking like NYU's colors, when I'm not looking on my phone it is apparent that the bottom color isn't white, it's an off-white or cream sort of color. I'm pretty sure that NYU is specifically violet and white, so I think that means that idea can be dismissed. But where else would violet/purple and cream/off-white/whatever you want to call that color come into play?

KennyMan666 posted:

I dreamt about this last night. Like, not the thread, but I dreamt that a cask was found, and I was there when it was found.

I was disappointed when I woke up and realized it was just a dream.

I dreamt about it too. I dreamt I was going after one that wasn't on the list and it was buried in some kind of historic railyard.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Sham I Am posted:

Roanoke

This is the piece hanging off of the right arm of the armor, where the key ring is hanging from. blown up, it looks like a fox head looking to the left.

It also looks like Salvador Dali's 'Sleep' for some reason.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Hah, add me to the Dream pile too. Except in my version I found 2, one of which was buried in the bottom of a full tub of ice-cream. :shrug:

wezyap
Jul 29, 2005

A sexually satisfied ninja is less likely to try to kill you.

All the graphical elements in this painting seems very art deco-ish to me, and combined with the seagull/eagle creature makes me think maybe there is some 1930ish landmark near the sea/ocean?

Butthead
May 31, 2011
Milwaukee...

This might either help us or send us in the wrong direction, but some rando, website I found when trying to find out what wonderstone is said this:

quote:

"Wonder Stone" A type of Rhyolite:

The word rhyolite comes from the Greek word for stream (rhyax) + the suffix lite.

http://www.minerals-n-more.com/Wonder_Stone_Info.html

So the letter of the country of wonderstone's hearth might be a letter from the Greek alphabet?

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

0dB posted:

It also looks like Salvador Dali's 'Sleep' for some reason.

It does resemble that, but Dali's museum in the usa is in St. Petersburg, Florida. The other museum is in Spain.

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011
Cask 12

allta posted:

I'm to tied to see anything, but here is the inverted image which should make it easier for anyone willing to try:

I'd imagine its in the waves somewhere and it should give the coordinates to NewYork but possibly not!

We keep addressing the shape of her gown, but I've only seen it mentioned twice in passing that there is a face in the darkest area of the folds of her gown. Two other people besides myself see a face that's human like. I see a human, and/or a lion ???

The face on the dress doesn't seem like any well known statue in NYC that has been already posted but does anyone else recognize this as some other possible statue or person of significance?

e: is it possible that it could be the statue of liberty's face? The eye and nose seems to match, the mouth is a maybe.

PunkNickel fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 3, 2013

ruebennase
Oct 18, 2011
NYC

PunkNickel posted:

Cask 12

We keep addressing the shape of her gown, but I've only seen it mentioned twice in passing that there is a face in the darkest area of the folds of her gown. Two other people besides myself see a face that's human like. I see a human, and/or a lion ???

The face on the dress doesn't seem like any well known statue in NYC that has been already posted but does anyone else recognize this as some other possible statue or person of significance?

e: is it possible that it could be the statue of liberty's face? The eye and nose seems to match, the mouth is a maybe.

Could be a lion, could be a person, could be nothing.
If it is a lion, there are two ginormous stone lions flanking the entrance to the Public Library. Also, the Library has lots of arched windows, all of which are also topped with small lion heads.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Delthalaz posted:

Okay so I absolutely need to stop now so I'm going to post the crazy thoughts I've been having in an effort to get them out of my head.

Assuming this works with the new york image.

Of all the romance retold
Men of tales and tunes
Cruel and bold
Seen here
By eyes of old

Okay, sounds like a playhouse or a courthouse
Stand and listen to the birds
Hear the cool, clear song of water
Harken to the words:
Or May 1913

I am mystified by this.
As folks at the other forum noted, this has to be a reference to Edwin and Edwina Booth. According to the internet, Edwin Booth was named after Edwin Forrest, a notable American 19th century actor, so in a sense, his daughter was named after him too.

One of the things Edwin Forrest is most famous for is his incitement of the Astor Place Riot over rival performances of MacBeth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astor_Place_Riot)
[timg]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Mg9O6BE.png[/timg]
Or on the eighth a scene
Eighth street? Scene eight? Let's say follow eight street..

Where law defended
Between two arms extended
Below the bar that binds

If we follow eighth street from here we get to a library that used to be a court house - the Jefferson Market Library (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Market_Library)

http://untappedcities.com/tag/jefferson-market-library/

Okay so first of all this thread is amazing, the contributions are fascinating and you all rock.

Or May 1913

Just on this point, and my apologies if this has been covered at all, but in May 1913 the Actor's Equity was founded, with 112 theatre actors in attendance. The actors, known collectively as 'The Players', would regularly meet up in secret at Edwin Booth's mansion to draft the Equity constitution. Refer to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actors%27_Equity_Association

Or on the eighth a scene

The Booth Theatre, named after Edwin Booth, was built later in 1913. It is located on 222 West 45th Street - between Broadway and 8th Avenue.

In the years to follow, negotiations over bonding took place, requiring producers to post sufficient advance remuneration to guarantee salaries and rehearsal pay. The Actor's Equity joined the American Federation of Labor on July 18th, 1919, and called a strike in search for recognition as a labor union. During the strike march, the protestor's held boards with the motto "No More Pay, Just Fair Play" (Fair remuneration) - you'll notice this in the small inset picture on the above Wiki link.

Much of the 1919 strike links back to the old Lexington Avenue Opera House, however I'm struggling to find much information on it other than what is on this page - http://www.actorsequity.org/aboutequity/timeline/timeline_1919.html

EDIT: This photo - - taken in 1919, shows actor Brandon Tynan in 'Equity' - a play created as a benefit during the organisation's strike. The scene is supposed to re-enact the protest itself.
Is it just me, or do the raised arms of the strikers look a hell of a lot like the rocky 'hand-shaped' mountains behind the woman in the SF image?
A larger photo can be found at the top of this page - https://www.actorsequity.org/aboutequity/timeline/timeline_intro.html
This also fits in with the line 'Between two arms extended'

Time for a funny observation! The 1919 strike was specifically aimed at the Theatrical Syndicate, which was in part directed by entrepeneur Abe Lincoln Erlanger and lawyer Mark Klaw - who had their own theatre production company, "Klaw and Erlanger". Abe Lincoln Erlanger obviously being named after Pres. Abe Lincoln, which again strengthens the association to Booth, and Mark Klaw having a surname that is 'close' to a hand is a pretty funny tie-in to White house close at hand.

But I promise that I'm 98% sure that the reference pertains to an actual white house!

Homestar Runner fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 3, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
If nothing has been found in Charleston SC I wouldn't mind seeing if my wife wants to go on vacation there and look around. We could even go on a weekend.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

wezyap posted:

All the graphical elements in this painting seems very art deco-ish to me, and combined with the seagull/eagle creature makes me think maybe there is some 1930ish landmark near the sea/ocean?

With the shadow under the nose pointing south-south-west-ish I'd guess Governor's Island (looks like a nose under Manhattan). Or Liberty Island.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I guess this has already been noticed?

The faerie in the picture could represent the ferry to Fort Sumter.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 3, 2013

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
Am I the only one who sees a literal hand pointing to a dot on a landmass on the new york one?

StinkyMeat
May 25, 2003

M-m-m-my bologna.

dirtycajun posted:

Am I the only one who sees a literal hand pointing to a dot on a landmass on the new york one?

I can't tell if that dot is actually on the image or a printing/scan artifact. If it is part of the image it has to be of importance. In looking closer I noticed some sort of characters in the middle of the clock face which I don't believe anyone has mentioned:

What's bothering me further is the complete ambiguity of the final lines of the verse. Don't we need very specific instructions on where to dig? Not like "walk so-and-so steps and have a look around"? Is it even worth it? I'm questioning everything. Even my own existence. I hate this book...

I love this book.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/images/misc/thesecret/newyork.pdf

I found this PDF file which seems to have a decent idea for the New York one.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

StinkyMeat posted:

I can't tell if that dot is actually on the image or a printing/scan artifact. If it is part of the image it has to be of importance. In looking closer I noticed some sort of characters in the middle of the clock face which I don't believe anyone has mentioned:

What's bothering me further is the complete ambiguity of the final lines of the verse. Don't we need very specific instructions on where to dig? Not like "walk so-and-so steps and have a look around"? Is it even worth it? I'm questioning everything. Even my own existence. I hate this book...

I love this book.

Doing some Photoshop trickery on the clock to make it more legible (unsharp mask, mainly, then desaturate and boost contrast):

Presumably it would have been more visible in the actual print, since such photo manipulation was not generally available to the buyers of the book in 1983.

Looks like a scuba diver to me.

Ed: Assuming it's New York, it could be a reference to Diana Nyad, who swam around Manhattan in just under 8 hours in 1975.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 3, 2013

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

You see a scuba-diver, I see a meaningless jumble of nothing. Can you outline it?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I think that symbol might just be Palencar's signature, but it's tough to tell.

StinkyMeat
May 25, 2003

M-m-m-my bologna.

The Monkey Man posted:

I think that symbol might just be Palencar's signature, but it's tough to tell.

Dammit I think you're right.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Xachariah posted:

You see a scuba-diver, I see a meaningless jumble of nothing. Can you outline it?

Head on the left with mouth open, arms pointing down , legs to the right. Two bumps in the middle would be air tanks.

And that cloud looks like a doggie.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
Someone needs to hit up the strand to see if they have a copy of this thing, and re-scan all the images in higher resolution.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Roanoke

That is the Virginia Dare statue in the EG, which I think may call for some further examination.

After circle and square

I have been assuming this means the sunken gardens, but if you look at the map...

...the sunken gardens could be the square and the well head the circle. So after the circle and square, following that path, would be either the the Dare statue or (obviously) the other side of the sunken garden, which would lead to the gazebo. (BTW, the gazebo was built in 1981, right around the time that I think the author was burying things. If he got there while it was being built, it may have been the easiest place for him to bury something.)

In July and August
A path beckons
To mica and driftwood

Virginia Dare was born in August. Her statue was originally crafted in Italy out of marble (does marble have any relation to mica?) but it was lost in a shipwreck while in transit and lived on the ocean floor for a few years before it was recovered. Maybe that is the driftwood reference.

The pedestal that the dare statue sits on looks a lot like the pedestal that suit of armor in the illustration sits on.

Under that
Which may be last touched
Or first seen standing

This is probably far fetched, but the statue itself is the artists rendition of what Virginia Dare would have looked like as an adult, since she actually died as a child. So the above lines could be interpreted as the first time anyone has seen Virginia Dare standing, since she died as a child (possibly even an infant), and the statue being the last time you could touch her.

It would be awesome if you could see the Wright Memorial, even just barely, from that spot, but even if you cant it would be interesting to dig on the north side of the statue (the side facing the wright memorial).

The "In July and August" line is killing me. Someone mentioned a stone that had it written on it...

This is the monument stone that says July and August on it (if you look closely you can tell it also has a cross on the top that is very similar to the one on the armors breast in the illustration). Unfortunately, I cant seem to find where the actual stone is located at. Any one have any idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StinkyMeat
May 25, 2003

M-m-m-my bologna.

Emacs Headroom posted:

Someone needs to hit up the strand to see if they have a copy of this thing, and re-scan all the images in higher resolution.

I can go this evening but that store confuses the hell out of me.