Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Anidav posted:

I don't get it, whenever I send a guy to try and convert a pagan province the ruler of the place just locks him up instantly. Is it broken?

I treat missionaries as blot fodder. Either that or their lieges are arranging them permanent vacations. Why would you give up the :black101: lifestyle for communions and getting bitched at by the Pope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So I keep getting distracted by all the possible viking starts and never play any game more than 100 years, but is there a message when you can no longer travel the rivers as a norse ruler? Is it dependent on tech, or buildings or time? And what if you play as a norse Rurikovich and just conquer all the territories including the rivers, can I still use them to sail from Sweden to Greece?

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009
Man Old Gods is the best. I raided some lone county and kidnapped the count's underage son and daughter. After 5 years they were adults so I made the girl my concubine and sacrificed the guy to Odin. Girl gives birth to a boy who quickly becomes the new count accepts vassalage.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

AAPsel posted:

Man Old Gods is the best. I raided some lone county and kidnapped the count's underage son and daughter. After 5 years they were adults so I made the girl my concubine and sacrificed the guy to Odin. Girl gives birth to a boy who quickly becomes the new count accepts vassalage.

Now all you need to do is raid Constantinople, take the Emperors daughter as a concubine and have a kid with her.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Paradox is weird about Jews for some reason. I think there might have been a few Jewish pops in Victoria? How sincerely Khazars practiced Judaism is debated but when there are literally Kings named Hanukkah maybe they shouldn't all be Tengri. Also there were more than a few courtiers running around. There were tons of Jews in the Carolingian empire and many in official local roles. Poland too. Supposedly they were prevalent in the early Magyar cultures too.

Belasarius fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 3, 2013

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Belasarius posted:

Paradox is weird about Jews for some reason. I think there might have been a few Jewish pops in Victoria? How sincerely Khazars practiced Judaism is debated but when there are literally Kings named Hanukkah maybe they shouldn't all be Tengri. Also there were more than a few courtiers running around. There were tons of Jews in the Carolingian empire and many in official local roles. Poland too. Supposedly they were prevalent in the early Magyar cultures too.

Maybe they just don't wont to be in the news as creator of a game about pogroming Jews ;)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

toasterwarrior posted:

I treat missionaries as blot fodder. Either that or their lieges are arranging them permanent vacations. Why would you give up the :black101: lifestyle for communions and getting bitched at by the Pope?

But is it broken?
I want my Muslim Swedish Superpower of Hilarity.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
How badass is the Varangian guard in this game? Worth the 300 gold and 300 prestige?

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

Pyromancer posted:

Maybe they just don't wont to be in the news as creator of a game about pogroming Jews ;)

The game comes pre-pogrommed for your convenience!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

How badass is the Varangian guard in this game? Worth the 300 gold and 300 prestige?

Yes. :)

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

So, it's basically like a super retinue of heavy infantry or what?

I tried to join a vassal's holy war and it said I was only allowed to do that for crusades or jihads. :saddowns: What's the difference! :colbert:

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 3, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

So, it's basically like a super retinue of heavy infantry or what?

I tried to join a vassal's holy war and it said I was only allowed to do that for crusades or jihads. :saddowns: What's the difference! :colbert:

Are you Byzantine? I thought you meant as a 300 prestige/gold as a reward for sending your Viking son off to join them. Varangian is really cheap and a big bonus to your forces. Definitely worth it.

A crusade is like a special religion-wide war. Holy wars are on a smaller scale.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Are you Byzantine? I thought you meant as a 300 prestige/gold as a reward for sending your Viking son off to join them. Varangian is really cheap and a big bonus to your forces. Definitely worth it.

A crusade is like a special religion-wide war. Holy wars are on a smaller scale.

Yeah, I'm the Emperor.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The varangians are a lot cheaper than 300 gold. Where did you get that figure from?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The decision to form the Varangian Guard at the new start date costs 300 gold.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Yeah I was enjoying raiding the poo poo out of every non-norse nation around as a Viking King, my eldest son and heir became a Varangian guard came back years later with a nice martial ability some cool scars however he'd converted to Orthodox Christianity...thus when he inherited the throne I ceased to be a badass Viking nation and became a wimpy Orthodox Kingdom no more raiding for me : (

:dawkins101:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah, I'm the Emperor.

In that case, once the Varangians are formed they act like a mercenary company - only you get to hire them for nothing (or a price so low as to be virtually nothing, I forget).

Trust me. That's worth it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Anidav posted:

But is it broken?
I want my Muslim Swedish Superpower of Hilarity.

Could be that the built-in opinion penalty is a bit too much for pagan leaders to allow the missionary to do his work. They're not doing themselves any favours by getting all bitchy about pagan lifestyles and yelling that they'll all burn in hell, after all.

But I'm pretty sure it can work: I've had Denmark turn Catholic at one point, which obviously was a bad idea since Norse Sweden started shanking them in the back while their holdings in England got sniped by the Anglo-Saxons, all in the middle of a big civil war since the Jarls didn't approve of their King's conversion.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Well that was a disaster :v:

I started as Connacht, this time, and pressed a duchal charge almost immediately. I threw out the mayor, set up an awesome council, invited claim courtiers over, and was pressing false claims almost faster then I could move the army. (diplomacy 22 is magic, I had 5 provinces in my first lifetime). However, as I was getting old, I changed to primogeniture, and this was a problem.

I had a single son. But he had 4 sons and 3 daughters :v:

So I betrothed the sons to quick or genius people, and gave them landed titles. There was a lull for a couple years, and then the first one became an adult. Immediately declared independence. Not a problem, I brought up my troops. He brought him his dublin allies. I bought mercenaries. I was concerned about how many troops I was facing, so I bought the 125 gp set, and had 6 months pay left over.

The war lasted longer then six months :v: All armies in the field were destroyed, except for the mercenaries, and they turned on me. Thats when I logged off.

I think Im going to reload a few turns before, and disband the mercenaries at the end of the war and see what happens. I dont really mind if the kid wins the war, my guy has -40s or more with most of his court and vassals (arbitrary, new lord, gluttony, lust, in the line of succession, and the entire family has envy).

I will ask the question though - what should I do instead of giving titled lands to my sons? I was thinking it better to keep vassals in the family.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

LowellDND posted:

I will ask the question though - what should I do instead of giving titled lands to my sons? I was thinking it better to keep vassals in the family.

Opinion tends to be split on the question of 'keeping titles in the family.'

See, on the one hand, if you give titles to all your kids, some of those kids are going to be pretenders (i.e. 2nd or 3rd in line for the throne) when your King dies and your new King inherits, and if they have titles, then they have land and they have armies and they can start a succession crisis. Giving titles to kinsmen - relatives who aren't part of the main line of inheritance - is often safer, but that's usually not an option in the early game.

Still, I find the benefits far outweigh the negatives. The positive opinion bonus for being in the same dynasty can be a lifesaver, and the accumulated prestige from having all those titles held by a dynasty adds up (in my current game, Ivar the Boneless' descendants are currently getting a birthday present of ~1500 Prestige the instant they're born, just by virtue of being part of my dynasty, and that's several points worth of Opinion bonus right there... and it's 1080 AD, imagine what it'll be like by game's end). In a game where the whole house of cards can collapse if you have an unpopular ruler, every bit of popularity you can squeeze out is a good thing.

Just don't get caught killing any of them, because the Kinslayer trait is a bitch.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

LowellDND posted:

Not always, who I hand out titles to depends on succession laws etc...ideally what I try to avoid is my heir having strong pretenders to face when your current ruler dies. Quite often your family ends up hating you particularly if they have claims on your lands etc sometimes its better to hand out titles to non-family characters that actually have a decent opinion of you.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I saw something weird, France broke up and disappeared as a realm, but the King was still sitting in Paris with only the Kingdom title and no vassals. He stuck around until I usurped the title.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Opinion tends to be split on the question of 'keeping titles in the family.'

See, on the one hand, if you give titles to all your kids, some of those kids are going to be pretenders (i.e. 2nd or 3rd in line for the throne) when your King dies and your new King inherits, and if they have titles, then they have land and they have armies and they can start a succession crisis. Giving titles to kinsmen - relatives who aren't part of the main line of inheritance - is often safer, but that's usually not an option in the early game.

Still, I find the benefits far outweigh the negatives. The positive opinion bonus for being in the same dynasty can be a lifesaver, and the accumulated prestige from having all those titles held by a dynasty adds up (in my current game, Ivar the Boneless' descendants are currently getting a birthday present of ~1500 Prestige the instant they're born, just by virtue of being part of my dynasty, and that's several points worth of Opinion bonus right there... and it's 1080 AD, imagine what it'll be like by game's end). In a game where the whole house of cards can collapse if you have an unpopular ruler, every bit of popularity you can squeeze out is a good thing.

Just don't get caught killing any of them, because the Kinslayer trait is a bitch.

But remember: In elective monarchy, non-dynasty vassals have a much higher opinion of you than your relatives, because the +20 elective monarchy bonus is replaces by a -5 penalty for people of your family. Also, where do you guys get good councilors? Giving lands to high-stat landless people is one of my main sources of competent councilors.

Although I admit that having a high prestige at birth is very valuable. But it is +1 opinion for every 100 prestige, with a cap of +20.

And at long last, it is just not realistic. Has there been any point where the European nobility filled most inheritable posts with their own kinsmen? Even the Hapsburg family got most of their lands through marriage.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Shadeoses posted:

I saw something weird, France broke up and disappeared as a realm, but the King was still sitting in Paris with only the Kingdom title and no vassals. He stuck around until I usurped the title.

Yeah, that happens if no one usurps the title; the old King just wanders around as a King-in-Exile or something.

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image
I am trying to edit defines.lua in order to change the cost of buildings. How do the two NEconomy variables HOLDING_SLOT_BUILD_COST_MOD and BUILDING_COST_MULT work?

I edit them, but the ingame increases/decreases do not reflect the changes I make (or I am stupid). Searching the Paradox forums gives me nothing useful.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Neif posted:

Yeah I was enjoying raiding the poo poo out of every non-norse nation around as a Viking King, my eldest son and heir became a Varangian guard came back years later with a nice martial ability some cool scars however he'd converted to Orthodox Christianity...thus when he inherited the throne I ceased to be a badass Viking nation and became a wimpy Orthodox Kingdom no more raiding for me : (

:dawkins101:

What's kind of strange is that the ability to raid remains even if the Norse faith is reformed. Seems like it makes it kind of overpowered in late game, but is that so? I'm in 960s yet.

And can pagans receive missionaries from Christians AND Muslims? In my Ivar game I've gotten only Catholic missionaries, which makes sense because I've hanged out around Britain and Scandinavia. It would be cool however if Muslims could convert the Polish, the Magyars and the Russians or other pagans too. (So far in my game all those peoples have yet remained pagan.)

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

This game can be so ridiculous sometimes.

I started a game as Venice in 1066, because I never really played with the Republic DLC at all. It all went pretty well for the first 20-30 years. I captured some cities along the Adriatic, and I was on my second Doge when I started worrying about reelection. One of my rear end in a top hat rival patricians had a huge respect rating compared to my heir and it would have cost a fortune to be reelected. Since he was an rear end in a top hat and the leader of some plot, I imprisoned him and threw him in the oubliette, hoping he would die soon because he was so old, and then I wouldn't have to spend so much to be reelected. Well, he just wouldn't loving die. He was in the oubliette for like 10 years until he was almost 80 years old. I should have just executed him.

Anyway, right before he turns 80, my 40-something Doge guy gets maimed in battle against some small, weak enemy force and dies unexpectedly a few days later. The old rear end in a top hat in my oubliette gets elected, then immediately dies within a few days of taking office. Some other old gently caress takes over, and suddenly everything goes to poo poo, and the whole republic starts getting invaded from all directions. Croatia, Tuscany, and Sicily all start attacking to try and retake all those Adriatic cities I captured early on in the game. The Byzantines declare an embargo war. Meanwhile, as the whole republic is collapsing, my next two characters both die in battle within a few months of each other. Three characters in a row, all killed in battle within a matter of months.

Now I'm left with some idiot relative that I've never really paid much attention to, with an ugly, 48 year old wife, no sons and three daughters (two of them twins, both with the ugly trait). I can't seem to murder her to get a new one either because my intrigue sucks and no one will back me. God drat it. :argh:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rurik posted:

What's kind of strange is that the ability to raid remains even if the Norse faith is reformed. Seems like it makes it kind of overpowered in late game, but is that so? I'm in 960s yet.

Not really; before too long fortifications make raiding a lot less lucrative. It's still handy, but it's not a quick route to infinite cash.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Started a learing game as the duke of Apulia, and I had changed to primogeniture - when I created the kingdom of Sicily it went to Gavelkind and can't be changed until I am at high crown authority. I'm playing with the old gods - is this really working as designed?

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Norse is spreading like a loving plague in my West African game right now. While being a pagan religion means that they can't turn counties for poo poo, Norse is by far the most popular religion among white nobles in 947 AD. I've been longboat raided by everyone from Venice to Ireland to Spain.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rurik posted:

And can pagans receive missionaries from Christians AND Muslims? In my Ivar game I've gotten only Catholic missionaries, which makes sense because I've hanged out around Britain and Scandinavia. It would be cool however if Muslims could convert the Polish, the Magyars and the Russians or other pagans too. (So far in my game all those peoples have yet remained pagan.)

I used a prepared invasion to take over Sicily and my two kingdoms (Norway and Sicily) were split among my two sons. I played the one who inherited Sicily and have since then sacrificed many Muslim Imams to the blot. So yes, Muslims can try to convert you too.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Playing as Ireland, I've become the King of Scotland and have almost taken control of all the counties. There is one duchy remaining that consists of four counties. The duke controls one with three seperate counts as his vassals.

What is the quickest way to take all four counties? I have de jure claims on all of them but cannot offer vassalisation as they aren't independent. They all have 100 opinion of him so there is almost no chance of them rebelling and any assasination plots on the Duke have no-one willing to join.

If I declare ware on the Duke and claim his one county, what happens to him? Would he still hold the duchy, move somewhere else etc?

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
After a break of a few months, I've decided to get back into CKII with the release of the new expansion/patch, and am starting off with only slight modding just to get a feel for the game as it currently exists in its vanilla form. One of the smaller mods I've decided to make use of is the tried and trusted family relations mod, but for some reason it's features just aren't showing up in the game, and from the look of the last page of that thread, I'm not the only person having that problem. I was wondering if anyone here knew of any other mods that did something similar, whether they be big or small, or how I might go about making the mod work properly with this most recent version of the game.

edit: Turns out the mod works fine, you just need to wait a little while after the game starts for an event to trigger all the new opinion modifiers. My apologies.

Veeta fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 3, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Lemon posted:

Playing as Ireland, I've become the King of Scotland and have almost taken control of all the counties. There is one duchy remaining that consists of four counties. The duke controls one with three seperate counts as his vassals.

What is the quickest way to take all four counties? I have de jure claims on all of them but cannot offer vassalisation as they aren't independent. They all have 100 opinion of him so there is almost no chance of them rebelling and any assasination plots on the Duke have no-one willing to join.

If I declare ware on the Duke and claim his one county, what happens to him? Would he still hold the duchy, move somewhere else etc?

If he has any holdings other than that county, then he moves to that holding. Otherwise, he becomes unlanded and his vassals become independent. At that point you should be able to offer vassalization to them, if you have good relations with them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Having fun starting off the game as one of the counties in Iceland. Go pillaging, get enough gold to hire the cheap mercenary company, donkeypunch my neighbor, and then start gobbling up the islands that lead to Scotland like breadcrumbs.

Only problem is that now my genius dude is getting old, and naturally his son is a moron. Especially compared to the two genius daughters who are quickly becoming spymasters. My question is this; what's the most effective way to ensure the lineage goes where I want it? Assassination seems incredibly unlikely (150 gold for a 33% chance of success?), can I wait until he's an adult and then plot his demise that way? I figure his sisters won't mind helping...

Also I'm having a lot of fun with intrigue. For shits and giggles I had a courtier drop a viper in the bedchamber of the dude ruling the county next to me. Not for any real reason other than to see what would happen. Then I realized his son was blind and maimed because he went off to join that mercenary company. Enemy with 0 Martial score? Sure!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Having fun starting off the game as one of the counties in Iceland. Go pillaging, get enough gold to hire the cheap mercenary company, donkeypunch my neighbor, and then start gobbling up the islands that lead to Scotland like breadcrumbs.

Only problem is that now my genius dude is getting old, and naturally his son is a moron. Especially compared to the two genius daughters who are quickly becoming spymasters. My question is this; what's the most effective way to ensure the lineage goes where I want it? Assassination seems incredibly unlikely (150 gold for a 33% chance of success?), can I wait until he's an adult and then plot his demise that way? I figure his sisters won't mind helping...

Also I'm having a lot of fun with intrigue. For shits and giggles I had a courtier drop a viper in the bedchamber of the dude ruling the county next to me. Not for any real reason other than to see what would happen. Then I realized his son was blind and maimed because he went off to join that mercenary company. Enemy with 0 Martial score? Sure!

You can't generally plot to assassinate your heir, more's the pity. That said, you can use the assassinate button in the diplomacy screen - and in order to get those chances up somewhere non-lovely, you can set your Spymaster to hang out in the province your target is in set to 'build spy network,' which'll boost your assassination chances.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

DrSunshine posted:

If he has any holdings other than that county, then he moves to that holding. Otherwise, he becomes unlanded and his vassals become independent. At that point you should be able to offer vassalization to them, if you have good relations with them.

He doesn't become unlanded though, he usually just kicks out one of his vassals and moves there. And his vassals become independent only when you vassalize the duke on certain CBs, or if you usurp his duchy and he becomes a count.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Lemon posted:

Find someone with a claim to that Duchy, get him/her to your court and press the claim. Since that claim is on your De Jure land, the courtier will become your vassal and the Duchy yours.
You can easily find all characters with a claim to that Duchy by clicking the "Claimants" button in the Overview for that Duchy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

You can't generally plot to assassinate your heir, more's the pity. That said, you can use the assassinate button in the diplomacy screen - and in order to get those chances up somewhere non-lovely, you can set your Spymaster to hang out in the province your target is in set to 'build spy network,' which'll boost your assassination chances.

That's a real shame. I'm king, I should be able to do whatever the hell I want when it comes to assassination/involuntary relocation of my progeny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Can you do plots to targets outside your domain?

• Locked thread