Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor Poopenmayer
Feb 15, 2006

Mayor of Pooptown
damping rate adjusted front and rear on the WR making it a bit stiffer
it's a touch lower now too, so I can get more than just the tips of my toes down on the ground...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Woohoo! 40mpg on the 96 CBR600 :D

I still need to tune those carbs better. I just went up a jet size for the K&N filter and Vance&Hines exhaust but I think I need to do some tweaking of the air screws and probably swap needles.
Part of me is just wishing I had bought a dynojet kit, but the rest of me really wants to do it the hard way.
They also DEFINITELY need a carb sync.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I replaced the Speedo cable on the turbr. Got the stupid gargantuan one piece fairing 3/4 off then realized the speedo cable was right there behind the headlight :saddowns:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I survived my first track day! Holy poo poo was that FUN. I went into it expecting to be the slowest guy there (I was the slowest on the street when I rode around SoCAL), but I was easily in the top half of the Novice group.

Also, the bike fell over in the truck on the way. The gas tank took the brunt of the fall. Oh well, had a fantastic time. My buddy, on the other hand, had a gnarly tank-slapper and did some major damage to his shoulder blade after being flung off the bike. He's already out of surgery :unsmith:.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I cleaned, lubed, and adjusted my chain today, and I only knocked my bike over on its side once!

I have got to get a spool stand.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 27, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Finished up my cam sensor o-ring. I ordered the wrong size (I thought I could make it fit :downs: ) but luckily I had something on the shelf at the office that I was able to squeeze in there. Unfortunately, I'm sure I'm over spec on stretch, but oh well.

Bodywork is a royal pain in the rear end. The main side fairing panel needs to slip in the bottom and front fairing panel, although that's pretty much impossible to do with both the other panels already on the bike. However, the front panel needs to go on first as there is a bolt which is inaccessible otherwise. Oh well, with some creative twisting I was able to do it. It took me about 6 tries to get it, and then I realized I needed to line it up with rubber shielding behind it so off yet again.

Also, just for the heck of it plugged the KDS3 Dealer tool into the bike. Took me a bit of figuring out which cable goes where, but it's pretty cool. I've played around with it enough to see where you would register keys, TPMS, immobilizer info, etc. Also some really cool info for the EFI and troubleshooting.

Edit: The KDS software is 32 bit but has very low system requirements (P133 LOL) so my old circa 2003 Dell with a Celeron M 1.4Ghz on XP has a new lease on life :)

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 27, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Rode like a dong. You know, for memorial day.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I did so as well. Sadly, it was my normal commute.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Same.

I'm getting aggressive enough on the Futura that I'm locking the rear wheel during braking. The Triumph's ABS has given me some poo poo habits, apparently.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

As a BMW owner I thought you weren't allowed to ride like a dong.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Spent the long weekend trying to fab a new seat pan using an old stock pan as a platform. Then worked up the hump with aluminum flat stock and sheet material. Yes, there are a lot of rivets, but I'll end up using body filler to finish the surface any way. Now to cut up that old foam to fit the new pan shape.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Put 1000 miles on the CBR yesterday.
Drove 5 hours (left at 4:30AM) to Pittsburgh in freezing cold rain only to discover the truck I was going to buy was GROSSLY misrepresented.
So I came home the long way:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...9,20,21&t=m&z=8

Sorry for the long rear end link. I made a lot of detours.
I almost went through Luray but it was pretty dark by the time I got that far.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The DL is lagered at the dealer; I had it in for the big valve check service and to replace the steering head bearings that I kept skiving off on, and they found play in the swingarm bearings, which is either a purchase of some specialized tools, or a fabrication of the same. So they're doing that too.

God I need a place with a garage.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Phy posted:

The DL is lagered at the dealer; I had it in for the big valve check service and to replace the steering head bearings that I kept skiving off on, and they found play in the swingarm bearings, which is either a purchase of some specialized tools, or a fabrication of the same. So they're doing that too.

yeoutch. that's an afternoon and a case of beer for someone with a garage.
but i'm sure it's several hundred dollhairs at the stealership

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Made some more progress on that seat:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yeoutch. that's an afternoon and a case of beer for someone with a garage.
but i'm sure it's several hundred dollhairs at the stealership

Yeah man. Correction: I need a garage, or a friend with a garage I can take over for a couple of days if I screw something up.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Phy posted:

Yeah man. Correction: I need a garage, or a friend with a garage I can take over for a couple of days if I screw something up.

Where are you generally?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Generally, Alberta. The work's getting done, I wouldn't be riding for a few days anyway. I was mainly just grousing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Phy posted:

gently caress :negative:

Ironic considering our conversation a week ago.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Still more seat progress, but this is turning out to be more of a proof-of-concept. The with some primer, the hump shows a bit of a tilt.

I'll paint this one up and then work on shaping an aluminum skin for the hump that uses fewer pieces and rivets. Maybe even a single piece skin. TO do that, I need to up my sheet metal game. Step one, a shaping sink. How to do that in the city with no readily available log/stump? Make your own.

Once the glue-up dried for a day or so, it was time to dig out the sink.

FIRE! FIRE!

Now that is a sweet bowl:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I ordered a new drive belt for the Ulysses... well, potentially one of the Ulysseses. Hopefully not though. My friend and I are living on our Ulysseses for 4400 miles next month, so we should probably have a spare belt around since it's a common failure point and I am pretty sure mine is a generic industrial belt.

The local Harley/Buell dealer doesn't have them in stock (big surprise) and wants at least 3 weeks to track one down... Al Lighton at American Sport Bike has ten of them in stock, ready to ship, for $20 less than what Eastside Harley wants. Love that "continuing dealer support".

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I had a brief scare on my pregen Ninja 250. I was riding back home for the weekend and I ended up stopping at a gas station a couple miles away from my destination. I've been riding for 2 hours on the interstate at this point. As soon as I stopped, coolant started pouring out of my coolant pipe next to the water pump. I had to walk my bike out of the way so I wouldn't leak all over the gas pump area.

Apparently a screw that holds the metal coolant pipe into the water pump came loose. So when I came to a stop at the gas station, the pressure from the cooling system popped the coolant pipe loose from the water pump which caused the leakage. I stupidly drove home on the highway with barely any coolant left.

I thought I would have had to replace the water pump. The fix ended up being a one dollar machine screw that held the metal coolant pipe in place. This taught me a lesson to tighten the screws on my bike at regular intervals.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My friend taught me how to properly flush, fill and service forks today. :neckbeard:

It's like some kind of fat floating bug.

A fork! And overpriced oil. To the left: 9.9 RX7 with LS1. To the right: Mazdaspeed MX5 tracked out with hilarious turbo.

And this is ASCII. (Askee) :3:

Next up: upgrading garbo 6-pot calibers to more reliable 4-pot calipers. :D

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
After my fuel pump died back in February, I finally found a replacement that I could afford and so I rode it today. :hellyeah:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Xovaan posted:

]

And this is ASCII. (Askee) :3:]

ASCII is adorable. I wanna play fetch with dat puppy!

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Fixed the preload adjuster on the KLR shock.
Nice vid to follow, Honey72, whoever you are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b4uBKCEqNo

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Bath, wax, new tires, and an oil change.
SOMEHOW managed to squeeze a 180 on the rear. It barely fits in there, but holy mother of god does it feel good.
Its like getting away with murder.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Hooked up my horns. Still don't work. :toot:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Changed the oil. Only thing left before the trip next week is to mount the panniers and pack them.

e: Oh and the primary fluid I put in looked exactly like what came out. I suppose I could have saved that quart of Formula+.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 2, 2013

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Put a new tank on the KLR to replace the original that got beat up in my wreck a few years ago. Put a gallon of gas in for a test ride and it died about a block from home in front of some people. Sat there for a minute or two cranking it over until I realized I forgot to put it on reserve.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Changed the brake fluid on my Ulysses, my friend's Ulysses, and my wife's R1150 (2 brakes up front what kind on non-ZTL garbage is this). Also mounted my pelican boxes.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Finally got the rear brake pad pin loose. It was rusted on both sides of the caliper. Got it out after cutting it in two to deal with each side separately. Some heat, a properly jammed hex bit and liberal use of size adapters got it loose. New bolt is seen on the left.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just re-fitted my fixed up bikini fairing and put on new, higher bars. They're renthals designed for an ATV but are the absolute perfect size and shape so I put them on. My god, what a mission! I had to rearrange everything, so the throttle cables, brake hoses, wiring etc didn't get pinched or stretched or crimped. It's only a 2-3 inch difference in height but it took me 3 hours including fitting new heated grips as my ones were hosed.

First test ride will be the 30km commute to work. :ohdear:

iqarus
Mar 31, 2008
wrapped frame covers, mirrors, and fuel pump cover in carbon fibre vinyl as the black plastic had started to fade and looked like poo poo. also did the small part between the seat and tail light

Cost $4. looks heaps better IMHO

iqarus fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 3, 2013

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Continuing to explore working with sheet metal. So I grabbed a cheap body work set of hammers/dollies, and looked around at other needed tools. Found some ideas for a couple DIY options:

BOOM! Shaping hammer

Then I took a cutoff wheel to some steel bar:

BANG! A tucking fork.

Then I learned that shaping sheet metal is loving hard. So I continue to practice on scrap pieces until I figure out how to start getting the shapes I want. It's fun banging the hell out of some metal in the garage though.

Tamir Lenk fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 3, 2013

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

iqarus posted:

Cost $4. looks heaps better IMHO

Wait six weeks, and when it starts to fade, or boot rub leaves you with a gelatenous mess..

IIRC, lemon pledge restores black surfaces, without the pain of removing the stickers later.

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.

Supradog posted:

liberal use of size adapters

Very nice.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Nerobro posted:

Wait six weeks, and when it starts to fade, or boot rub leaves you with a gelatenous mess..

IIRC, lemon pledge restores black surfaces, without the pain of removing the stickers later.

A heat gun does the same thing if it isn't coated. Also: http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-...=I1DCNB7G1ZANKD

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Replaced my awful period-inappropriate cortech tank bag with a repro vintage tank bag.

Official BMW Mobile Tradition made in Germany

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
BMW approved, too. :v:

Looks nice. What year is your airhead? And the Guzzi in the back?