Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

New page! I am reposting this image because it's so CUTE. Look at those feets! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Inveigle posted:

New page! I am reposting this image because it's so CUTE. Look at those feets! :)

That's my chickies!

Also holy balls they grow so fast. I swear I lifted the lid this morning and they had doubled in size. O.o

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cute chickens, poop covered floors.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

cucurbit posted:

You wouldn't happen to be in NC would you? I have a friend who has a 3-4 month Americauna rooster she's looking to rehouse (can't have roosters in downtown Durham). He's pretty gorgeous, mostly white.

No, im in southern California :(

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I took some more pictures of my chickies and got this one of Dumpling looking hilariously angry.

CHICKEN OR EGG? YOUR MOM CAME FIRST, BITCH.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

The Rat posted:

I took some more pictures of my chickies and got this one of Dumpling looking hilariously angry.

CHICKEN OR EGG? YOUR MOM CAME FIRST, BITCH.

Wait until she goes broody, the look just gets angrier :catstare:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Man that is one steely-eyed death stare. "So you think I have five eggs under here, or six? Do ya feel lucky, punk?"

Dumpling is a cockerel though, along with his Silkie buddy Tetrazzini. Fajita is the only young female we have. Noodles disappeared a few days ago. Couldn't find a trace other than a couple feathers and all the other chickens were acting normal. I'm thinking it was a hawk, since when the fox got dad's cock a few months ago, they were all freaked out and hiding for a while.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I was going through and checking my oldest batch of chicks today and decided to take some pictures while I had them stuck up in a cage waiting.

Vito has a bunch of babies since I shaved his rear end! They look kind of smug even though they're going through the awkward and ugly phase at 6 weeks old.

Brown Red Cockerel

Cockerel and Splash pullet.

Two brown-red Vito cockerels guarding the temporary food bowl.

Lucifer had his rear end shaved as well and now hes got a bunch of babies,mostly pullets.

Two black pullets.

Pullet perching.

A Lucifer cockerel giving me an evil look.

More Lucifer pullets.

Vito baby trying to eat the camera.

Baby Cochin feet, this ones a black pullet but they keep a lot of white feathers till they're 12 or so weeks old.

Fuzzy Vito baby feet.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
TIM THE ENCHANTER they are all just adorable! Are these AI chicks? How many hens were involved with laying the eggs?

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Very few of these were from AI,most were natural after I clipped the roosters and hens rear end fluff. Most of these were from Lucifer the black rooster and his 4 black hens or Vito the Brown Red and his 4 Brown red and 1 Lemon Splash hens. The next smallest batch ill take pictures of at some point are much the same as this one but with a bunch of blues as well from Buford the blue rooster and his 6 blue hens.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Interesting emergency brooder box.

Used portable crib bought for $10 at a yard sale. They lined the bottom with a big piece of cardboard, wrapped in a plastic tablecloth. From reddit.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

I do giggle when I think about the "feather cuts" you gave your chickens! The end result was a great success!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 1, 2013

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Tim the Enchanter posted:

I was going through and checking my oldest batch of chicks today and decided to take some pictures while I had them stuck up in a cage waiting.

Vito has a bunch of babies since I shaved his rear end! They look kind of smug even though they're going through the awkward and ugly phase at 6 weeks old.

Brown Red Cockerel

Cockerel and Splash pullet.

Two brown-red Vito cockerels guarding the temporary food bowl.

Lucifer had his rear end shaved as well and now hes got a bunch of babies,mostly pullets.

Two black pullets.

Pullet perching.

A Lucifer cockerel giving me an evil look.

More Lucifer pullets.

Vito baby trying to eat the camera.

Baby Cochin feet, this ones a black pullet but they keep a lot of white feathers till they're 12 or so weeks old.

Fuzzy Vito baby feet.

Tim, you should ship me one of your cockerels, my henhoes need a tiny pimp to keep them in check :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chido posted:

Tim, you should ship me one of your cockerels, my henhoes need a tiny pimp to keep them in check :3:

If you get a really tiny angry little roo, please be a stereotype and name him Napoleon.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If you get a really tiny angry little roo, please be a stereotype and name him Napoleon.

I was planning on asking you goons for name suggestions when I eventually get another roo, but that name for a tiny angry fluffball is just so perfect :haw:

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I just read an article on huffpost about backyard chickens in Arlington amd how there was an organization formed solely to oppose allowing people to have chickens in their backyards.

Link

Switzerland is pretty over-regulated but I can't imagine there ever being so much drama about chickens here. What a bunch of uninformed bullshit. I can't see the logic in opposing chickens for hygienic, ecological, or neighborly reasons, while millions of roaming cats are apparently no problem at all. :psyduck:

Armed Neutrality fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 2, 2013

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Armed Neutrality posted:

I just read an article on huffpost about backyard chickens in Arlington amd how there was an organization formed solely to oppose allowing people to have chickens in their backyards.

Link

Switzerland is pretty over-regulated but I can't imagine there ever being so much drama about chickens here. What a bunch of uninformed bullshit. I can't see the logic in opposing chickens for hygienic, ecological, or neighborly reasons, while millions of roaming cats are apparently no problem at all. :psyduck:

I am deeply thankful to live in a rural part of the state. It's basically the only good thing about it. The Internet connection totally sucks eggs.

It's weird what people consider acceptable these days. Think about 60 years ago - lots of people had chickens, not so many had indoor cats and dogs. Now we're on the other side of the pendulum, I guess.

I think everyone should have chickens. Smart designers need to be figuring out how to make coops for apartments. I think of it like Victory Gardens; it's our patriotic duty to be self-sufficient.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Arlington has way more than its fair share of snooty people. They care more about appearances and property values than other people, and it loving sucks because I would love to live there for the location and restaurants and such, but I can't deal with the attitude.

Muffy_the_Diver
Oct 19, 2004

ALL ABOARD THE BUTT TRAIN

Lynza posted:

I am deeply thankful to live in a rural part of the state.
<snip>
Smart designers need to be figuring out how to make coops for apartments.

The Portland area is actually pretty laid-back about chicken keeping. In the city proper you can have up to three hens/ducks without a permit, and unlimited with one (permits are like $33 and easy to get). I've never heard of someone getting busted for keeping 4+ without a permit, unless their neighbours complain. I'm lucky to live in Washington County (never loving thought I'd say that) where the laws are even less strict - there isn't a limit on the number of fowl you can keep, but roos are still not allowed.

Renting with chickens is a pain in the rear end though. We were lucky enough to find a friend-of-a-friend who likes chickens looking for basically a long-term live-in housesitter, but when we move from here I don't know WHAT we're going to do. I'd love to move out to Columbia county but that's really impractical for work and social activities. Someone needs to design some sort of coop and run that attaches to your skyscraper apartment window. :downs:

Edit: I hate all of you posting adorable little gangly dinosaur photos. :3: I always thought I never had any sort of maternal instinct but it turns out I do have one - it just applies only to chicken babies.

Muffy_the_Diver fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 2, 2013

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I'm having chickenchat with a friend who lives in the UK right now, and he mentioned that his favorite breed is the lemon millefleur sablepoot. I looked them up (after having a giggle at the silly name) and they are gorgeous! Speckles! Giant fluffy feet!

Sadly I don't think they're available in the US, and they're listed as a rare breed even in the UK :sigh:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Muffy_the_Diver posted:

Renting with chickens is a pain in the rear end though. We were lucky enough to find a friend-of-a-friend who likes chickens looking for basically a long-term live-in housesitter, but when we move from here I don't know WHAT we're going to do. I'd love to move out to Columbia county but that's really impractical for work and social activities. Someone needs to design some sort of coop and run that attaches to your skyscraper apartment window. :downs:

Muffy, if our current tenant decides to vacate, I will let you know. It's a good house with a nice, fenced back yard, and none of the neighbors would complain about chickens. I'm thinking, if/when they move on, we'll just rent it as "PET-FRIENDLY (INCL. CHICKENZ)" and hope the city snobbery is overcome by the "omg chickens" possibilities.

Last night when we went to put the chickens "to bed," two of them were roosting, asleep, on top of the coop. We picked them up and put them back in. I don't think they noticed.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

I'm having chickenchat with a friend who lives in the UK right now, and he mentioned that his favorite breed is the lemon millefleur sablepoot. I looked them up (after having a giggle at the silly name) and they are gorgeous! Speckles! Giant fluffy feet!

Sadly I don't think they're available in the US, and they're listed as a rare breed even in the UK :sigh:

That was such a weird name, I had to look it up. Wow!...they're really spectacular-looking.

Below: flock of Lemon Millefleur Sablepoot chickens. Photo from rosiesrarebreedpoultry.weebly.com.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I never thought I'd say this, but those chickens look fabulous.:gay:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

The Rat posted:

Indeed. I'm getting a Liberace vibe from them what with the spots and cape and whatnot.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

RazorBunny posted:

There's some eggs on the UK ebay, maybe once I get back from holiday. ;) Mum keeps hinting that it's not too late to hatch this year.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

The Rat posted:

They do kind of strike you as the drag queens of the chicken world, don't they?

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.
Just went through this thread over the last week or so, love it!

I'm looking to get some chickens (about four or so) for my backyard, but having not owned chickens in over 10 years, I thought I'd get some advice and directions. I'm thinking about getting separate breeds for a bit of colour and differentiation, but would the chickens get 'along' with other breeds well enough? Otherwise, would it be better to have a group of a single breed?

If it's possible, I'm thinking Black Australorp and White Brahma, but I've got no idea with other breeds for yellows/blues/red-browns. Any recommendations? Any breeds that are friendly and/or hardy would be appreciated!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
I have a pretty mixed flock - 6 chickens, 2 golden sexlinks, 2 Ameraucanas, a Faverolles, and a Blue Andalusian. So far everyone gets along with each other pretty well. From my research, Faverolles are supposed to be meek and submissive. Apparently mine is faulty, as she is High Queen of the Coop.

I think raising them together helps, and probably sticking with breeds that aren't vastly different in terms of personalities, like hating confinement or being more adventurous, is the way to go.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Hey real quick set of questions as I am looking into getting into Backyard Chicken Keeping.

My Fiance built me a Chickencoop for my birthday, I had no idea, that is 3x3ft. We are going to build a 6ft fence in our backyard to keep them in and basically we are debating between still making a Run or just letting them kinda free range in my backyard. I should most likely note we live in downtown Tacoma, WA and our yard is not huge. We do have some stray feral cats I am somewhat concerned about jumping our 6 foot fence as I would like to NOT loose my egg laying chickens. So anywho questions.

Run or free ranged? I know this seems to pretty hotly debated by various people but curious what people here think.

Also with the coop only being 3x3 should I stick with Bantams or should I be able to do 2 regular size fowl inside there? I'll try and get a picture up of it later tonight. Thanks for any input

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Hey real quick set of questions as I am looking into getting into Backyard Chicken Keeping.

My Fiance built me a Chickencoop for my birthday, I had no idea, that is 3x3ft. We are going to build a 6ft fence in our backyard to keep them in and basically we are debating between still making a Run or just letting them kinda free range in my backyard. I should most likely note we live in downtown Tacoma, WA and our yard is not huge. We do have some stray feral cats I am somewhat concerned about jumping our 6 foot fence as I would like to NOT loose my egg laying chickens. So anywho questions.

Run or free ranged? I know this seems to pretty hotly debated by various people but curious what people here think.

Also with the coop only being 3x3 should I stick with Bantams or should I be able to do 2 regular size fowl inside there? I'll try and get a picture up of it later tonight. Thanks for any input

Feral cats will kill chickens, so you might want to build a run. If you plan to spend the afternoon out in the yard, you could let the chooks out so they could free-range for a bit and you could keep an eye out for predators.

Post a photo of your coop/yard and people can make suggestions to you!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Tiny Chalupa posted:

A 3x3 seems big enough for 3 regular size hens if there's a nest box attached on the outside or under it. If you are afraid of having the hens going over the fence, you can trim their feathers so they can't jump high (if you get regular sized hens). Once they get used to your backyard, they'll most likely stay in it. Most of my hens are strays that would come and go until we caught them, and two years later (and a few wing trimming sessions),they haven't tried to get out in over a year.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I recorded Rusty being all angry and broody today. The other hoes are hoarding the nest boxes, so Rusty demands we let her use the back room to lay inside a drawer we put for the hens. I'm uploading the videos now, but this is what I faced.

Edit: the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nG3s6kYlmY

I think her death stare got deadlier :ohdear:

Chido fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 4, 2013

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I suggest bantam Cochins. Small, round, don't fly, super friendly and pettable, very pretty. Your coop should be predator proof whatever kind of chicken you get, especially at night. Most people let the chickens run around during the day but coop them securely at night--and that means RIGHT AT DUSK. Loads of predators appear right after dusk and chickens don't see worth a poo poo when it starts to get dark so are easy prey. Everything loves a chicken dinner. Check your yard for toxic plants (google 'plants toxic to birds' to see what isn't safe). The more room they have, the happier and healthier they'll be.

I've got a chicken info site here: http://jackshenhouse.com/

Also feathersite.com has tons of breed pics to help you decide. Educate yourself as much as possible before getting chickens, backyardchickens.com has lots of great info and forums.

Schlinky, what part of the world do you live in, and what is the weather like? Knowing this will help with breed suggestions. Most breeds get along, but there are a few that are at one extreme or the other (aggressive vs. sweet/docile)

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.
Ah, my bad. I'm based in Sydney, so for the most part it's generally dry. It's not too bad during the winter, though it can hit mid 30s°C (90s°F) in the summer.

Unfortunately there isn't a huge variety in my area for breeds, as I've just discovered, but one website I've found does include a fair mix (Australorp, Aracauna, Leghorns, Sussex, etc):

http://citychicks.com.au/category/chickens-for-sale/

As far as my own experiences go, I raised a few Leghorns I think, who were terrified of everything. One night we were missing two of them, only to discover about an hour later that they had decided to roost in the trees, about 10 metres above us. Took those two a while for them to accept the coop. :D

edit: I'm currently leaning towards getting the Australorp, Araucana and Sussex, but I'm unsure about the last one, or any of their temperaments beyond the Australorps. Any suggestions there?

Schlinky fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 4, 2013

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Schlinky posted:

Ah, my bad. I'm based in Sydney, so for the most part it's generally dry. It's not too bad during the winter, though it can hit mid 30s°C (90s°F) in the summer.

Unfortunately there isn't a huge variety in my area for breeds, as I've just discovered, but one website I've found does include a fair mix (Australorp, Aracauna, Leghorns, Sussex, etc):

http://citychicks.com.au/category/chickens-for-sale/

As far as my own experiences go, I raised a few Leghorns I think, who were terrified of everything. One night we were missing two of them, only to discover about an hour later that they had decided to roost in the trees, about 10 metres above us. Took those two a while for them to accept the coop. :D

edit: I'm currently leaning towards getting the Australorp, Araucana and Sussex, but I'm unsure about the last one, or any of their temperaments beyond the Australorps. Any suggestions there?

Get a Rhode Island Red if you can. They are pretty, relatively friendly and prolific layers. I love my girl, Strawberry. She is the friendliest chicken we have.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I still plan to get some pics up, have a few more questions :)

So I am looking at starting with 2 Orpingtons as they seem to have a good attitude about being Chickens.
Plymouth Rock chickens are also interesting to me.
Any other good "starter" breeds I should be on the look out for? I would like Chickens that are good egg layers if at all possible
My yard is 36x24 feet so should easily support 2+ chickens if I don't opt for the run

For me the debate between Free range or run will most likely be decided by how quickly we can get the 6 foot fence built in the back yard. It isn't cheap and might take a month or so for all the funds to come together, just fenced my front yard but that is for my dogs to run around in .

Are there are good places online that sell Pullets? Trying to google relatively local places around Tacoma, WA really just shows me "The Chicken Guy" in Orting and a few other stores that only sells the chicks(babies) which I would prefer to avoid I think.

edit: There is a guy relatively near me that is selling Pullets of:
Barred Rock
Black Sexlink
Gold Sexlink
Gold Laced Wyandotte
Old English Game

I've heard about the Wyandoote and Old English Game, not of the other ones.

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 4, 2013

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I still plan to get some pics up, have a few more questions :)

So I am looking at starting with 2 Orpingtons as they seem to have a good attitude about being Chickens.
Plymouth Rock chickens are also interesting to me.
Any other good "starter" breeds I should be on the look out for? I would like Chickens that are good egg layers if at all possible
My yard is 36x24 feet so should easily support 2+ chickens if I don't opt for the run

For me the debate between Free range or run will most likely be decided by how quickly we can get the 6 foot fence built in the back yard. It isn't cheap and might take a month or so for all the funds to come together, just fenced my front yard but that is for my dogs to run around in .

Are there are good places online that sell Pullets? Trying to google relatively local places around Tacoma, WA really just shows me "The Chicken Guy" in Orting and a few other stores that only sells the chicks(babies) which I would prefer to avoid I think.

Electronet would probably be a decent option too, I rotate ours around our pasture every few months. It's far, far cheaper than building a 6 foot fence would ever be, and I like always being able to give them green grass to scrounge around in, and never have to worry about muddy, barren runs.

I just had a second neighbor complained that I DON'T have a rooster. That's Switzerland for you.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Armed Neutrality posted:

Electronet would probably be a decent option too, I rotate ours around our pasture every few months. It's far, far cheaper than building a 6 foot fence would ever be, and I like always being able to give them green grass to scrounge around in, and never have to worry about muddy, barren runs.

I just had a second neighbor complained that I DON'T have a rooster. That's Switzerland for you.

Electronet makes special electric fencing for poultry (PoultryNet) but you still have to be careful about critters digging under the fence or grass grounding the fence and keeping parts of the fence from working. It is nice though, to be able to move the fence around so that the chooks have new grass to eat.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Armed Neutrality posted:

That is quite quite interesting. I am concerned about the whole electric fence inside the city, even with a warning sign. Also is it possible to NOT use all 48 feet without compromising anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Don't forget that any fencing not only needs to keep your chickens IN, but large predators such as the neighbor's dogs, OUT.

Tiny Chalupa, Old English Game (OEG) are tiny, pretty, energetic little bantams that are a lot of fun but can sometimes be fiesty, flighty and aggressive, so you'd want to choose your chickens in person after spending a few minutes getting to know them and observing their behavior towards other chickens and people. Of course this goes for ANY chickens you get.

Sex Links are great layers and are often friendly and sweet, though not overly bright--but kinda goofy and fun and great for comic releif. :)

Barred Rocks and Wyandottes tend to fall in the middle, can be very smart and often lead the flock. Wyandottes are especially pretty,I think.

Americaunas are pretty, friendly, sweet birds that lay blue eggs and come in a rainbow of colors, I love them.

mypetchicken.com sells chicks in small quantity--you pay a bit more because they have to pack a heat pack in with them, but if you can order 25 chicks from a hatchery they are a good option.

Lots of hatcheries in the US sell started pullets and are online, try McMurray, Ideal, Cackle and Welp. Ask around to your neighbors to see if anyone wants to split an order, ask local 4H clubs, schools, poultry clubs, etc. They are around everywhere, but in more urban areas you might have to dig a little. Also look for bird swap meets, chicken shows (at fairs this time of year).

Schlinky you'll have to deal with heat more than cold, then. The breeds you mentioned would all be great. People who own Australorps rave about how sweet, friendly and great they are. Americaunas and Australorps have very similar temperments, Sussex I believe do also but I've never owned any personally. I think all 3 breeds would get along great. And I agree, white Leghorns can be especially clueless and flighty, although sweet enough. We had them as kids and about once a month one would manage to get over the fence and get eaten by the neigbor's dog--all our other chickens could SEE the danger and stayed in our yard, but those Leghorns had the memory span of a goldfish, I swear.

Also, raising chicks is super easy and very fun. :) You get the added advantage of having very tame adult birds when they grow up with you and they get used to you handling them a lot.