Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Shoehead posted:

What was up with Roose not knowing about Ned's wedding? Wouldn't he have been there?

Edit: Hooooly poo poo

It was shortly before Roberts Rebellion so I assume there just wasn't time for a big wedding with all of Neds Bannermen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The specific post you're talking about was hilarious; how dysfunctional does your brain have to be to go on a mile-long diatribe about how fantasy novels are for manchildren and perverts and fascists (his word, not mine) because somebody had the audacity to be rude about your favorite salacious fantasy TV show?

That isn't really what I posted at all though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ambivalent posted:

It is pretty silly the amount of smugness some people have over reading ASOIAF vs. watching television.

I think all the fighting is pretty dumb and silly, because it just isn't worth being that smug or mad about, but your post didn't really make sense to me. Not everybody who read these books reads every fantasy novel on the shelf and only fantasy novels, and any bit of criticism you extend to these specific books for being perverse or childish applies (at best) equally to the show.

Meanwhile the people you're sticking up for are people who use "reader" as a slur and who are outraged and emotionally devastated by things like a guy's post vaguely foreshadowing something bad happening five minutes before it happens.

Baku fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 3, 2013

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

any bit of criticism you extend to these specific books for being perverse or childish applies (at best) equally to the show.

That's pretty much the point. Digesting ASOIAF in book form isn't some noble or erudite effort as opposed to watching the show, and feeling smug about it is incredibly goofy.

edit: trimmed for easy of consumption~ If you're not one of the people who seems to think picking up ASOIAF makes you a literary titan, then that post totally wasn't directed at you, and sorry for the confusion. I just wanted to explain myself a little, sorry!

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 3, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ambivalent posted:

That's pretty much the point. Digesting ASOIAF in book form isn't some noble or erudite effort as opposed to watching the show, and feeling smug about it is incredibly goofy.

Treating their use of 'book reader' as some slur against all written work (and not a slur against the guys who come into the thread and refer to them as 'illiterates' and mock them, or spoil them, or PM them spoilers, and so on), and characterizing them as cave men slinging rocks at people who read books, is dishonest and similarly goofy. There's plenty of people who post in the show thread who have read the books and don't get yelled and cursed at.

They're irritated because they feel like there are these other threads that sit around mocking them and poking them, and they've had plenty enough examples of it. I know you didn't buy those people those custom titles but it's easy to forgive them for thinking that there's a few people here who think it was a great idea. You also have people like Judakel who PM spoilers to anyone whenever the thread's discussion becomes something he doesn't like. Or any number of other posters who jump in and tweak the thread in any number of ways.

Sure, those people just wanted to gently caress with people, but there's a few of them who couched their efforts in some notion of 'pick up a drat book, you illiterate morons.'

Is there a tv version of this post so I can get through it?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
You're in the wrong thread if you think we believe reading these books makes you a better person.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Knuc If U Buck posted:

[A prostitute is having sex with a man in the background as Littlefinger walks in with Varys]

Littlefinger: Book readers who ruin the show for show nerds and hurt their feelings are bad.

[Four more naked prostitutes arrive and some bad CGI blood spills for no reason]

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Still not getting anything.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Aurain posted:

[A prostitute is having sex with a man in the background as Littlefinger walks in with Varys]

Littlefinger: Book readers who ruin the show for show nerds and hurt their feelings are bad.

[Four more naked prostitutes arrive and some bad CGI blood spills for no reason]

Wow hey watch it with the spoilers, you jerk!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's ok, I didn't say whose the blood was.

(Prostitute 3)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dead Man Posting posted:

Still not getting anything.

Bite me, you loving weird idiot.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I still think that the TV show is capturing Jon Snow's story the best out of all the other plot lines (despite the really bad acting). It's a shame when Ygritte goes and there are no more love lines and everything gets cancelled because of low ratings.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Dead Man Posting posted:

I still think that the TV show is capturing Jon Snow's story the best out of all the other plot lines (despite the really bad acting). It's a shame when Ygritte goes and there are no more love lines and everything gets cancelled because of low ratings.

No worries. The fan girls still have Dinklage, and if they thought Robb was cute, wait til we get whichever smoldering Latin sex pots they cast for Oberyn and My Darkstar~

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

No worries. The fan girls still have Dinklage, and if they thought Robb was cute, wait til we get whichever smoldering Latin sex pots they cast for Oberyn and My Darkstar~

People like Dinklage's almost non-existent love-line?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Dead Man Posting posted:

People like Dinklage's almost non-existent love-line?

Well, like all things, the fandom is 90% gay anime boys and Sonic the Hedgehog ships, but, yes.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
My conclusion is that everyone who reads the books and everyone who watches the show is probably too dumb too live.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Sophia posted:

My conclusion is that everyone who reads the books and everyone who watches the show is probably too dumb too live.

DroppingTruthBombs.txt

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I just finished the episode, and thought it was pretty good. What was better was watching my Facebook feed explode with rage and sorrow from the people watching the show without having read the books. I've been waiting three years, but the payoff was worth it. Now I feel less bad that the series will never be finished until GRRM has an "accident" on the set and Joe Abercrombie finishes it.

The Bloody Nine kills Darkstar

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010
I hope we get to see Robb Wind next week.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Urdnot Fire posted:

The babies sure do cry a lot:

lol this guy

Sober posted:

Someone needs to photoshop "book readers" over the faces of Robb and his bannermen, and "TV watchers" for the crossbowmen up in the balcony.

Sober posted:

As a threat to book readers though I want it to be true.

He reminds me of those tropers who would make up stories about spin kicking bullies in the nose then say a badass witty line.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Hahahaha, Judakel sounds like a two-year-old.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Durpo posted:

I would have enjoyed seeing a more competent and bloodthirsty Robb try to avenge his father's death on the battlefield, or at least make a solid go at it. We saw that he might have been a decent tactician, and the show is building towards many different factions that may eventually all go to war against each other. Why shouldn't Robb have gotten a go at it and attempted to avenge Ned, who was sold to us as one of the main characters of the show in season 1. Father-Son stories like that are awesome, and I'm not saying he should have necessarily succeeded, but I just felt like we wasted a ton of air time for nothing.

But but but but HE loving WELL DID, MORON. Robb Stark was the winningest general in the whole loving war! Everyone was scared shitless of him, a young man with no experience who turned out to be a terrifyingly good general, stomping flat any and all opposition to his revengeance. The only way his enemies could stop him was by murdering him with the help of his allies at his uncle's wedding.

Look at this show-only turd who couldn't be arsed to actually loving watch the show at all.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Was just checking out #redweddingtears, and some people are hoping/begging that Robb somehow comes back.

So if the show does bring back Zombie Cat, that's just going to piss them off even more.

And that will be just delightful.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Shoehead posted:

What was up with Roose not knowing about Ned's wedding? Wouldn't he have been there?

Edit: Hooooly poo poo that was fuckin' brutal!

Roose's little snort when Cat told him Ned refused to break someone's nose on his wedding day was maybe my favorite moment in the episode.

I don't understand why he said “The Lannisters send their regards” instead of “Jaime Lannister”, though.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
From the mouths of babes:

quote:

The writer of #GameOfThrones must have issues. That's how he killed Ned Stark & Robert Baratheon in Season 1

From #redweddingtears

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

CaptainRightful posted:

Roose's little snort when Cat told him Ned refused to break someone's nose on his wedding day was maybe my favorite moment in the episode.

I don't understand why he said “The Lannisters send their regards” instead of “Jaime Lannister”, though.

Jaime says "the Lannisters" instead of his regards when Roose sends him off.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

They'll fall in love with Oberyn... Only to lose him to Gregor an episode later.

Sophia posted:

This is the truth.

I just remembered that Jeyne Westerling wasn't actually at the Red Wedding in the books. So, drat, the show really did make it extra-cruel.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owzhYNcd4OM

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Oh, Bad Thread. How I have missed you.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
This is so much better than I imagined it would be.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

But but but but HE loving WELL DID, MORON. Robb Stark was the winningest general in the whole loving war! Everyone was scared shitless of him, a young man with no experience who turned out to be a terrifyingly good general, stomping flat any and all opposition to his revengeance. The only way his enemies could stop him was by murdering him with the help of his allies at his uncle's wedding.

Look at this show-only turd who couldn't be arsed to actually loving watch the show at all.

If Durpo wrote Episodes 9 and 10:

Episode 9: Robb watches wife die and sheds a single tear. He begins charging up his super Saiyin powers!!! 20 minutes spent of Walder Frey (also a Saiyin) charging up too as they scream incoherently at one another. Close pan in on Robb's face as his faces changes to Grey Wind's and back again rapidly (think Altered Beast). End with a slow pan into Frey's eyes to show a fireball coming towards him. Fade to black.

Episode 10: Robb and Walder battle it out for 5 minutes after 45 minutes of charging up and recap of the last episode. They fly around punching one another until Jinglebell distracts Walder so that Robb can unleash his ultimate attack: Headless Ned Ultimate Stardust Destiny Sphere Level 5.

Walder's last words: "Heh. I beg you for mercy! Please spare me!"

The fireball chars his flesh.

Robb looks at the camera, puts on cool shades.

"I'm a Frey'd not."

The Who blasts in the background. Roll credits.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainRightful posted:

As noted, Jaime's line was changed too, but I think the real reason they changed all this is to make it more clear to show watchers that Jaime (who is on a redemptive arc and will be for the foreseeable future) didn't have anything to do with orchestrating the Red Wedding. The show has no internal monologue and fewer minor scenes in which to show us that that isn't the case.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

As noted, Jaime's line was changed too, but I think the real reason they changed all this is to make it more clear to show watchers that Jaime (who is on a redemptive arc and will be for the foreseeable future) didn't have anything to do with orchestrating the Red Wedding. The show has no internal monologue and fewer minor scenes in which to show us that that isn't the case.

Honestly, in the book pinning it on Jaime seemed weird for Jaime's ongoing arc as well. I'd have preferred both, but particularly the show, to have said Tywin instead.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The change helps Jaime's fledgling good guy arc, and also makes it much more cold and impersonal, which is exactly what Roose is.

"It's just business old chap." :chef:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The comments on this are great: http://imgur.com/gallery/WvKRLuw

In particular: DA ROOSE IS LOOSE

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Hunky Joe posted:

If Durpo wrote Episodes 9 and 10:

Episode 9: Robb watches wife die and sheds a single tear. He begins charging up his super Saiyin powers!!! 20 minutes spent of Walder Frey (also a Saiyin) charging up too as they scream incoherently at one another. Close pan in on Robb's face as his faces changes to Grey Wind's and back again rapidly (think Altered Beast). End with a slow pan into Frey's eyes to show a fireball coming towards him. Fade to black.

Episode 10: Robb and Walder battle it out for 5 minutes after 45 minutes of charging up and recap of the last episode. They fly around punching one another until Jinglebell distracts Walder so that Robb can unleash his ultimate attack: Headless Ned Ultimate Stardust Destiny Sphere Level 5.

Walder's last words: "Heh. I beg you for mercy! Please spare me!"

The fireball chars his flesh.

Robb looks at the camera, puts on cool shades.

"I'm a Frey'd not."

The Who blasts in the background. Roll credits.

Welp... there goes my loving fanfiction I've been writing for 8 months. THANKS, GUYS!

GRRM is reading this particular tweet right now thinking "I know what I'm going to put in the next book!"

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
I've never read this thread or the TVIV one but holy poo poo, there are people - people who watch the show - who think reading the books makes you a nerd and that watching the show somehow doesn't?? What the gently caress.

And there are people who take perverse pleasure out of spoiling the story for others, denying them the sense of surprise and shock that they themselves had? And then they're smug about it?? What the gently caress.

You're all as hosed up as each other and I hate you all. I hate you almost as much as I hate GRRM, but NOT QUITE.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

paint dry posted:

I've never read this thread or the TVIV one but holy poo poo, there are people - people who watch the show - who think reading the books makes you a nerd and that watching the show somehow doesn't?? What the gently caress.

And there are people who take perverse pleasure out of spoiling the story for others, denying them the sense of surprise and shock that they themselves had? And then they're smug about it?? What the gently caress.

You're all as hosed up as each other and I hate you all. I hate you almost as much as I hate GRRM, but NOT QUITE.

Just wait until Arya goes blind in the television series.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Contra Calculus posted:

Welp... there goes my loving fanfiction I've been writing for 8 months. THANKS, GUYS!

As long as our self-insert Mary Sues are different it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm Braario Dudeharis. I pretty much didn't have to change much about myself other than my hair is silver and I have Masamune. Also I have a chaos emerald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Woke up to this on my wife's Facebook:

So what's the episode 9 downer next year? Viper going down to the Mountain? Or will they throw us a bone and have Stannis show up at the wall and save everyone's rear end?