Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Had another ultrasound this past Thursday. They measured the bean at 9w0d. We have to wait a few weeks for a radiologist to look at the images before getting any kind of detailed results back, but there was a heartbeat and growth so that's promising.

Another ultrasound this week then in week 12 we have to go for a 4 hour drive to a larger hospital to get an advanced ultrasound. Because my wife is above 35 they'll measure the nasal bone size plus nuchal translucency to check for Downs, among other things.

If everything is good on the week 12 ultrasound then we'll start planning for this baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

Had another ultrasound this past Thursday. They measured the bean at 9w0d. We have to wait a few weeks for a radiologist to look at the images before getting any kind of detailed results back, but there was a heartbeat and growth so that's promising.

Another ultrasound this week then in week 12 we have to go for a 4 hour drive to a larger hospital to get an advanced ultrasound. Because my wife is above 35 they'll measure the nasal bone size plus nuchal translucency to check for Downs, among other things.

If everything is good on the week 12 ultrasound then we'll start planning for this baby.

My husband and I are really pulling for you two. You really deserve this. I sincerely hope this turns out to be a girl though, because I swear it is like I can't escape little boys.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I would love a little girl but I've got a house full of boy clothes and toys from our 6 year old boy. :) Thanks again for your kind words and thoughts.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Affi posted:

How quickly after conception can the pregnancy show up on a test?

I don't know your specific situation but since you're posting in this thread I'm basing this answer on the presumption that you're eager to get pregnant:
Just remember that while there are extremely few false positives, you can easily get a "false" negative by testing too early, and what too early is varies from woman to woman - some have high hCG-levels (which is what the test looks for) early, and will get a positive result days before they were expecting their period, some won't get a positive result until a few days after their expected period.
There is no (physical) harm in eagerly peeing on sticks prematurely, but make sure you don't go "ah well, no baby this month, I can go to that Stinky Unpasturized Cheese-festival this weekend and get smashed every day" untill you know for sure you're actually not pregnant.
Everything'll most likely be fine if you do turn out to be pregnant, but you'll spare yourself a lot of unneccessary worry by not doing any Big Potentially Harmful Things as soon as you get a negative test.

Short answer without the assvice: Generally about two weeks after conception, sooner for some, later for some.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Another good ultrasound. Still good growth and a good heart rate. Measured at 9w5d and heart rate at around 170ish.

While the Dr was doing the ultrasound the bean decided to put on a show and had some great movement for 2 minutes or so. The Doc captured this and is going to put it on a USB drive for us. If there's any interest I'll put it up somewhere for you guys to see. I just find it neat as you don't see many ultrasound movies at 9 weeks. You can see the spine and brain hemispheres, plus little arms and legs. :3:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Is there any vitamins or anything that a guy should take to make our chances better? Something Positive stopped by to talk about what she needs to do but I didn't know if there was anything I should take or do to help make a healthy baby goon

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Spiffster posted:

Is there any vitamins or anything that a guy should take to make our chances better? Something Positive stopped by to talk about what she needs to do but I didn't know if there was anything I should take or do to help make a healthy baby goon

If you smoke, you should stop.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

rectal cushion posted:

If you smoke, you should stop.
I don't smoke or drink...

Ceridwen posted:

In addition to the smoking thing, if you bicycle a lot, you might want to reduce it or take a break. At the very least, make sure the seat isn't putting pressure on areas it shouldn't be. And minimize hot tub usage. Pretty much anything that gets your balls too hot isn't great for sperm production.

Hate hot tubs as well, and I havn't been on a bike in about 5 years? so... :woop: ?
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 10, 2013

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Spiffster posted:

In addition to the smoking thing, if you bicycle a lot, you might want to reduce it or take a break. At the very least, make sure the seat isn't putting pressure on areas it shouldn't be. And minimize hot tub usage. Pretty much anything that gets your balls too hot isn't great for sperm production.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Spiffster posted:

I don't smoke or drink...

Hate hot tubs as well, and I havn't been on a bike in about 5 years? so... :woop: ?
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

A laptop on your lap can also bake your boys.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

So I'm googling and sort of freaking myself out and hopefully someone here has had similar experiences and can give me advice.

The earliest I've ever gotten my period is ~3-4 days. I'm usually very regular, on a 25/26 day cycle. I chart when I get my period in an app and have been doing so for a few years, and like 95% of the time the app predicts exactly when I ovulate (I can usually feel it) and exactly when my period starts.

I just had my period two weeks ago-- Monday-Thursday not last week but the week before. It was a couple days earlier than expected but not unusual otherwise. Then I got my period two days ago, only 17 days after the first day of my previous period-- so about 9 days earlier than expected. It wasn't very heavy, I never got crazy cramps like usual, and it seems to be basically over today, so it was a lot lighter and shorter than normal.

Now googling "period 9 days early" is telling me something about implantation bleeding which happens 10-15 days after you conceive, is much shorter and lighter than normal, and is a sign of pregnancy. I did have sex 10 (and 12) days before I got this period, but A) it was only a couple days after my previous period ended, and B) we used protection, so it seems really unlikely. That said, getting a period so early also seems really weird for me, so either way something odd is going on. I feel totally normal otherwise. I'm not stressed out, haven't been doing anything weird, the only change is I started taking vitamin D supplements a couple weeks ago, but if anything that is supposed to make you more fertile and make your period more regular. I'm chalking this up to just a weird super early period but google is not helping. Has anyone else with usually regular periods gotten a super freaky early one before? Anything else that could cause it?

Obviously I can wait a week and take a pregnancy test and find out what's going on, but that's a long time to have this circling in my head!

*edit to add that I am 29 and my period has been regular for years and years, and I've never been on birth control, so this isn't menopause/ my period figuring itself out.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Most likely is that you are just having an anovulatory cycle or some sort of issue with an ovarian cyst or something along those lines (these happen occasionally and are nothing to worry about 99% of the time). I really wouldn't worry about it much. Everyone has an off cycle once in a while. If it's been 10 days since you last had sex a test would probably already be able to tell you yes or no, but if you want a for sure answer you can wait a week to take one. I'd put money on you not being pregnant though, the timeline just doesn't fit.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Ceridwen posted:

Most likely is that you are just having an anovulatory cycle or some sort of issue with an ovarian cyst or something along those lines (these happen occasionally and are nothing to worry about 99% of the time). I really wouldn't worry about it much. Everyone has an off cycle once in a while. If it's been 10 days since you last had sex a test would probably already be able to tell you yes or no, but if you want a for sure answer you can wait a week to take one. I'd put money on you not being pregnant though, the timeline just doesn't fit.

Thanks- looking up symptoms it seems like an ovarian cyst could be more likely. I'm not sure why that didn't show up in my searches before. I doubt I'm pregnant, it would really be against all odds (though technically possible I guess because my cycles tend to be short).

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Another good ultrasound today. Measured at roughly 11w3d. This weekend my wife had a big bout of cramps, nausea, and vomiting, which happened last pregnancy and coincided with the miscarriage. My wife was having extreme anxiety that it happened again so she called up her ob/gyn who took her right in and did the ultrasound. He's a super nice guy and said her anxiety is perfectly understandable and she can come down to the office anytime and he'll put the doppler heartbeat monitor on so she can hear the heartbeat.

We go for the super-mega-ultrasound next week.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
I miscarried over the weekend. Though we are going to try again, I'm not as spry and excited about being overly proactive about it this next go round. It really took the wind out of my sails. One day we are listening to the heartbeat, the next I've lost it.

I have been relying on knitting and the knowledge that this clears the way for a healthy pregnancy to keep my head above water the last couple days. I'm feeling better everyday. It just takes time to heal both physically and emotionally.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I'm so sorry to hear that jota. :( I know how hard it is and I know that you'll feel better soon.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Something Positive and I have decided to start trying officially in June. We would start now but we have a wedding to finish planning, a house to close on in the coming month or so, school still in session, and both of us just want to make sure these ducks are all in a row before we add a duckling to the line. Hope to share some good news with you guys when the time comes.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Spiffster posted:

We would start now but we have a wedding to finish planning, a house to close on in the coming month or so, school still in session, and both of us just want to make sure these ducks are all in a row before we add a duckling to the line.

Good idea. Everyone warns you not to get your hopes up because it'll probably take some time, but I've known several people who've ended up postponing their wedding because well, sometimes it doesn't take much time at all :v: And I can personally attest to the fact that a nauseous, bloated, bone-weary non-alcoholic honeymoon isn't all that fun. Good luck, and remember to start taking folic acid before you start trying!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Canuckistan posted:

We just had the advanced ultrasound at 13 weeks. Everything showed fine and the NT and nasal bone both measured well within normal specs, plus the blood serum tests had no high-risk flags. When we left the hospital we were on cloud 9.

Were.

Long story short, my wife started bleeding 3 hours after the ultrasound but there was no cramping. We spent a long evening/night at the ER waiting to see a doctor and fearing the worst. We found out that her cervix is closed and the fetus has a good heartbeat and is moving around normally. The next morning the bleeding had mostly stopped and we were able to get in to see her regular ob-gyn. He confirmed that the cervix remained closed and there wasn't much new bleeding, plus he did another ultrasound which again was positive.

He's theorizing that the cervix rubbed against her vaginal walls and caused it to bleed, since pregnant women bleed easily to begin with and my wife is on blood thinners as well. This rubbing may have been caused by the first ultrasound, which was a pretty long procedure which required a lot of poking and prodding her belly to make the fetus turn around so they could get their measurements.

If everything still goes well we're due the first week of November. We're going to wait one more week and make sure this latest episode calms down before we tell friends and family.

I'm going to move on to the pregnancy thread. Good luck to everyone here!

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

We just had the advanced ultrasound at 13 weeks. Everything showed fine and the NT and nasal bone both measured well within normal specs, plus the blood serum tests had no high-risk flags. When we left the hospital we were on cloud 9.

Were.

Long story short, my wife started bleeding 3 hours after the ultrasound but there was no cramping. We spent a long evening/night at the ER waiting to see a doctor and fearing the worst. We found out that her cervix is closed and the fetus has a good heartbeat and is moving around normally. The next morning the bleeding had mostly stopped and we were able to get in to see her regular ob-gyn. He confirmed that the cervix remained closed and there wasn't much new bleeding, plus he did another ultrasound which again was positive.

He's theorizing that the cervix rubbed against her vaginal walls and caused it to bleed, since pregnant women bleed easily to begin with and my wife is on blood thinners as well. This rubbing may have been caused by the first ultrasound, which was a pretty long procedure which required a lot of poking and prodding her belly to make the fetus turn around so they could get their measurements.

If everything still goes well we're due the first week of November. We're going to wait one more week and make sure this latest episode calms down before we tell friends and family.

I'm going to move on to the pregnancy thread. Good luck to everyone here!

Sorry you had such a scare but it sounds like things really are going well. I had a similar thing happen where I had a huge bleed 2 days after getting the all clear on the nuchal scan, which had been such a relief after miscarrying the previous pregnancy and then being given 50/50 odds of losing this pregnancy at 6 weeks. Scared me to death but everything turned out fine (I actually had my baby 2 days ago just after her due date).

I look forward to seeing you in the pregnancy thread and I hope this was the last scare and you get to relax after telling friends and family next week.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
I saw the midwife for the first time since the miscarriage a little over two weeks ago. After going over my experience, a brief exam, and a discussion about my emotional state, she gave us the go ahead to try again right away. Apparently the reason doctors used to ask patients to wait a few months was so that they were able to figure out the timing of the birth. Now that we have such sensitive ultrasound equipment, it's not necessary unless there was a problem with the miscarriage itself.

I have to admit I'm having a hard time realizing it's only been five weeks since we found out we'd conceived, and two weeks since the loss. It seems like it's been ages! When I was pregnant and waiting for time to pass, I thought the days couldn't move any slower.

As Einstein would say, "Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.”

jota23 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 7, 2013

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Huh. Our doctor always told us to wait a full cycle before trying again.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
My doctor told me the standard advice is to wait a cycle, but if I felt well enough to get started right away, it wouldn't hurt anything. He even told me he and his wife got pregnant right away after a miscarriage.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
We've basically decided we are just going to let it happen when it's ready to happen. It's more like not preventing versus actively trying. Last time, I was pretty fanatical about testing, timing, etc. This time I'm not so excited to find out super early if something like this could happen again.

The midwife offered to schedule me at 6 weeks instead of the standard 8 weeks because I'll likely be deservedly nervous next time around. I pointed out that I had a really positive ultrasound, the day before the miscarriage, that showed us a beating heart and growth. An earlier exam, even hearing the heartbeat earlier, won't change the outcome.

At this point, I think I'd rather just test when I'm absolutely positive that I've been pregnant for a little while, and schedule the 8 week as usual. I'm afraid to get attached or excited until there is really something to get excited about.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
There were a couple of us in the thread last year that got pregnant, had a miscarriage then got pregnant straight away after so it is pretty common I think to conceive again quickly. In a way I kind of wish I'd waited a cycle or two as I thought I wasn't overly affected by the miscarriage (it was really early - less than a week after finding out I was pregnant and hadn't had a scan or anything) but later on in the pregnancy I realised I wasn't feeling how I usually do, I wasn't excited or planning names and time wasn't dragging on. If anything I felt less pregnant than when I'd been trying and that was when I could feel the baby move.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
How long after a miscarriage should I expect my first period? It's been four weeks, and I tested negative after the first week.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

It took me 5 weeks post-D&C. I ovulated about a week late compared to my normal cycles and then the following cycle was right on time. It can vary a lot though. Especially if your cycles aren't regular normally.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."

Ceridwen posted:

I ovulated about a week late compared to my normal cycles and then the following cycle was right on time.

Is this based on the period before you conceived, or figured out after you've had a few cycles?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

jota23 posted:

Is this based on the period before you conceived, or figured out after you've had a few cycles?

It's based on my charting of a couple of cycles before the miscarriage + how long my cycles were before I started charting. I've got obnoxiously regular cycles so they were pretty easy to figure out. My cycles also come back really quickly any time I stop birth control, so my body seems to have a pretty quick reset after hormonal changes. If your cycles normally take a while to come back after you stop hormonal birth control I would not be surprised if it takes a little while to go back to normal after a miscarriage as well.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
I've only ever used an IUD for my birth control method, and my cycles varied somewhere between 26 and 34 days though they most often landed at 29 days.

I only had one regular cycle after having my IUD removed, then missed a period prior to getting pregnant. I know there is no way to pinpoint what my body will do. I was just interested in getting an idea as to the averages. As with everything regarding this whole getting knocked up process, I'll just have to wait and see.

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

We aren't exactly trying YET but I am so excited we finally decided when we are going to start trying. We have set dates in the past, but we always feel scared as the date approaches and then we end up pushing it back. I realized that we will always feel scared and we need to just suck it up and deal! I am going to Nicaragua this June and will be back July 1st. I already met with a midwife for my pap smear and we all agreed to start trying August 1st. I am coming off of my birth control July 1st, and she said to give it a month for my cycle to regulate. It works better for my timing anyway as I am hoping to deliver sometime between May-early August. I hope it happens quick!

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Well, my wife and I are finally in a boat to start trying. She's been off her birth control for a month an a half. We're not too worried about having one now, not like we're actively not having sex. She's on prenatals, we'll probably start doing cycle and testing and counting starting June if she isn't already pregnant by then.

I think I'm more nervous than she is.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
My wife and I have been trying about three months now. She's starting to get impatient although I think it's still a bit early to start worrying. My wife has suggested I go donate sperm for the free fertility testing. Anyone care to articulate a reason why that's a terrible idea?

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

KernelSlanders posted:

My wife and I have been trying about three months now. She's starting to get impatient although I think it's still a bit early to start worrying. My wife has suggested I go donate sperm for the free fertility testing. Anyone care to articulate a reason why that's a terrible idea?

Any of these reasons.

Also, three months is nothing. Generally they tell you to try for a year unless you are over 35, and generally they assume that you've already tried ovulation kits to track when she's ovulating before you do anything as drastic as donate sperm for a test that may or may not be offered to you provided you aren't immediately disqualified for not being an extremely tall, attractive PHD student.

If she's getting frustrated, try an ovulation kit. It could be something as simple as improper tracking that's keeping it from happening.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Haha, aww. Remind me never to show that page to my husband...

We've been trying since I went off the pill in July (though things didn't normalize until Decemberish). But my doctor also gave me the one year mark. Has she tried any sort of tracking? There are some cheap ovulation tests on Amazon.

We're trying to do the roof and siding on the house, while also dealing with a sudden subterranean termite issue, so odds are well get knocked up... right after we pay for all that :gonk:.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

raaaan posted:

Any of these reasons.

Also, three months is nothing. Generally they tell you to try for a year unless you are over 35, and generally they assume that you've already tried ovulation kits to track when she's ovulating before you do anything as drastic as donate sperm for a test that may or may not be offered to you provided you aren't immediately disqualified for not being an extremely tall, attractive PHD student.

If she's getting frustrated, try an ovulation kit. It could be something as simple as improper tracking that's keeping it from happening.

Thanks for the tips. As it turns out I am blond/blue eyed and got my PhD last March (poo poo has it really been a year?), which is how she got the idea in the first place. I think I'm going to argue the kids-might-find-you route. Pretty sure that will scare her off this particular attempt at life hacking.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you really want to get your sperm analyzed, its like $100 without insurance.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
My fiancé is bi-polar. I really want biological children so I brought that early in the relationship. Previous to meeting me she'd written off the idea of having children because she didn't want to be responsible for passing on her disorder. However, she changed her that belief and has been getting into the idea of having a child. We've provisionally planned to start next year she'd occasionally bring up her excitement over having a child and it's allowed us to concentrate on the rest of our relationship (which is great!).

Late last week she had a mini-crisis and at the same time she was dealing with that, happened upon some research about the drugs she's taken in the past and currently takes upon pregnancy and long-term affects on children and it freaked her out. As part of that, she told me that I needed to prepared for the possibility of not having biological children which in turn freaked me out. Since then our heads cooled down she's read some more that has lessened her anxiety and I've come to terms with accepting that possibility.

We both agreed that we need to do the necessary research and consultation. I'm almost completely clueless as to where to start. Where should we look for individual research and whom should we look for in-person consultation?

I apologize in advanced if this isn't the correct thread to as these questions.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
So, I'm pregnant again. I tested 7 weeks 1 day after my miscarriage, and there are two lines. That second line is faint, mind you, but it's still positive. I never did have a cycle.

I was on vacation and feeling a little off, but I figured it was the difference in climate from high mountain desert to the gulf shores of Florida being flooded by Tropical Storm Andrea. Out of the blue, my three-year-old goddaughter made me cry because she said I hurt her armpit when I picked her up. Seriously. I cried for like an hour. My friend picked me up off the floor, handed me a box of tissues, and took me to the store to buy a pregnancy test.

7 bags of candy, and a pregnancy test later, (did I even need the test by now?), I'm here to announce that I'm not telling anyone. My best friend knows, my husband knows, and now all of you know, but after the loss of the last pregnancy, I'm not counting this chicken until I'm reasonably sure it will hatch. I figure if I'm not going to tell anyone in my life right now, I might as well share my ups and downs with goons in the same boat.

Note:
If you find yourself having to be on a plane for 3 1/2+ hours, talk to the service desk about switching to an aisle seat. Yes, I know you love the window, but trust me. Getting blocked in by a couple dramamine induced coma sleepers when you've gotta go every 20 minutes... Just get an aisle seat.

jota23 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

Cheesus posted:

My fiancé is bi-polar. I really want biological children so I brought that early in the relationship. Previous to meeting me she'd written off the idea of having children because she didn't want to be responsible for passing on her disorder. However, she changed her that belief and has been getting into the idea of having a child. We've provisionally planned to start next year she'd occasionally bring up her excitement over having a child and it's allowed us to concentrate on the rest of our relationship (which is great!).

Late last week she had a mini-crisis and at the same time she was dealing with that, happened upon some research about the drugs she's taken in the past and currently takes upon pregnancy and long-term affects on children and it freaked her out. As part of that, she told me that I needed to prepared for the possibility of not having biological children which in turn freaked me out. Since then our heads cooled down she's read some more that has lessened her anxiety and I've come to terms with accepting that possibility.

We both agreed that we need to do the necessary research and consultation. I'm almost completely clueless as to where to start. Where should we look for individual research and whom should we look for in-person consultation?

I apologize in advanced if this isn't the correct thread to as these questions.

This is the right thread! However, there are some ladies in the pregnancy thread with bipolar so you might want to crosspost this there.

Some meds are safe for pregnancy and others aren't, she might just need a med change. I assume she has a psychiatrist? All she needs to do is make an appointment with them and tell them of her plans. They can work in tandem with her obgyn.

If she doesn't have an obgyn this would be a good time to see one for pre conception counseling anyways.

Edit: congratulations jota! Hope all goes well with you.

Scenty fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 10, 2013

• Locked thread