Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Spoilers below, this week's episode has a revelation 45 minutes in.
--

Jesus loving Christ this week's story. Yet another horrific reminder of the nightmare that our legal system can be warped into. I'm just sitting here in my car slackjawed as I think about the years of hell that man endured, all the while protesting that there was something wrong with him, and begging for help. Makes me want to cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Maybe put that in spoiler tags?

JibbaJabbaJimmy
May 21, 2001
If anyone's curious and didn't catch it, the piano piece that Anthony played isn't original, its from Antipop Consortium v Matthew Shipp called "Real is Surreal." Antipop is an experimental hip hop group and Matthew Shipp is a well known jazz pianist. I felt the narrator led the listener to believe it to be an original piece which isn't the case. Anthony mumbled the name of it.

maxidious
Sep 25, 2007

Meh

JibbaJabbaJimmy posted:

If anyone's curious and didn't catch it, the piano piece that Anthony played isn't original, its from Antipop Consortium v Matthew Shipp called "Real is Surreal." Antipop is an experimental hip hop group and Matthew Shipp is a well known jazz pianist. I felt the narrator led the listener to believe it to be an original piece which isn't the case. Anthony mumbled the name of it.

The parents are totally scamming right? What do you think?

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

maxidious posted:

The parents are totally scamming right? What do you think?

Total scam. Why would they be so secretive and not want to share anything right away. The knew good and well exactly what they are doing. And what gets me is the artists don't even care!

Frankenfinger
May 1, 2007
The presentation that this is either "scammy family getting free valuable art" or "genuinely autistic son likes art and wants some to look at and inspire him" seems pretty narrow. It actually feels like some weird hybrid of both. Perhaps getting free art for the autistic son to appreciate now and when the mother and father die, a nice little collection to sell to pay for institutionalizing their impaired son(s). That seems like the most logical explanation to me.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Frankenfinger posted:

The presentation that this is either "scammy family getting free valuable art" or "genuinely autistic son likes art and wants some to look at and inspire him" seems pretty narrow. It actually feels like some weird hybrid of both. Perhaps getting free art for the autistic son to appreciate now and when the mother and father die, a nice little collection to sell to pay for institutionalizing their impaired son(s). That seems like the most logical explanation to me.

That's what I was thinking as well.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

re: Dr. Gilmer and Mr. Hyde

Fantastic story, but I really wish they hadn't established that from the outset of the episode. You know there is a twist coming the whole time.

Helped me discover a reeeeally good Atlas Sound song (well, cover) I had never heard before to top it off.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I'm a few episodes back logged, but man, that one about the lady making the Asian fetish documentary was interesting but also terribly sad.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
NPR really likes talking about that doc. I've heard it on three programs now and I don't think I need to see the movie anymore.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Is there a good list of songs used in the show somewhere? I'm looking for this quiet, sort of ambient saxophone (trumpet?) piece, but now I can't remember in which episode I heard it last,

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Is there a good list of songs used in the show somewhere? I'm looking for this quiet, sort of ambient saxophone (trumpet?) piece, but now I can't remember in which episode I heard it last,

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB2EF2428860FF833

Not sure which one it is though, hope it's on there.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
http://open.spotify.com/user/theodolite/playlist/1kN3PH6SQOzqcWSIhVpK7H also
The Cinematic Orchestra track maybe.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Thanks for the help, it was this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_KSoXE7E8Y

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

And so there they were, all their goals accomplished. They found the song they were searching for, but what did it all mean? Where did they go from there? "It felt so good to finally know that all our work wasn't for nothing. But at the same time...it was over. That part of our lives was over. It was bittersweet..it's like, when you have a dream, you don't ever think of what you'll do after you wake up.." Well, I'm Ira Glass, but before I go I asked our program supervisor, what do you say if you want to break up with someone via a text message?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I noticed the other day that I hadn't listened to TAL in a while, but my podcast app was only showing one "new" episode (#27, Cruelty of Children). I figured something was wrong with my phone, but after checking the website it turns out that's all that's on that feed as well. Has everyone else been seeing new episodes every week? I'm wondering if the RSS only carries the most recent episode and my phone thinks when it changes it should delete last week's episode or something.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
They only keep the most recent episode online in the podcast feed, so what you're seeing is normal. Well I dunno about the deleting thing, that's something with your podcast app.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I noticed the other day that I hadn't listened to TAL in a while, but my podcast app was only showing one "new" episode (#27, Cruelty of Children). I figured something was wrong with my phone, but after checking the website it turns out that's all that's on that feed as well. Has everyone else been seeing new episodes every week? I'm wondering if the RSS only carries the most recent episode and my phone thinks when it changes it should delete last week's episode or something.

If you really enjoy listening you should throw them a few bucks for the app. It let's you stream every single episode, jump straight to specific acts, search by contributor, and much more. I'm not sure how I got by without it.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

The app comes with free access to the archive? Why didn't I know this, buying immediately.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Admiral Goodenough posted:

The app comes with free access to the archive?

Yes. It's fantastic.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

AllisonByProxy posted:

If you really enjoy listening you should throw them a few bucks for the app. It let's you stream every single episode, jump straight to specific acts, search by contributor, and much more. I'm not sure how I got by without it.
To be fair, can't you do all this on the site anyway?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I can't, not on iOS anyway. Maybe it's different for Android, I dunno.

The app is nice and all, but it is buggy as hell. It keeps playing after I unplug the auxiliary cord and crashes quite a bit.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Yea, I tried installing the app on my Nexus 7 tablet right after I made that post and it failed to install three times before I gave up and requested a refund. It's not available for my phone (Windows Phone 8), so I guess I'm out of luck.

fake edit: A bit of searching and I found a blog that gives the URL the flash player uses to pull the archive files from.

http://audio.thisamericanlife.org/jomamashouse/ismymamashouse/EPISODENUMBER.MP3

Be sure to actually read the directory hierarchy for the :lol: factor.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
You've all heard of public radio, but have you ever seen it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opbrI4IfSHc

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

I've only made it about a third of the way through this most recent episode, but I'm enjoying it so far. The climatologist from Colorado is spot on when he describes that it does no good to tell someone to believe in something, they must learn it on their own. This has been proved to me through my own realization about many issues on which I was educated in college. I now get into arguments with relatives, and have quickly realized that they aren't going anywhere unless my relative independently comes to the same conclusions. Otherwise, it is entirely confrontational -- in the sense that no one wants to lose an argument.

This guy just seems to know this. Why it took me so long to realize this is beyond me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Hitch posted:

...it does no good to tell someone to believe in something, they must learn it on their own.

That's a good message to convey but outside of that, the episode just seemed to me like another "Democrats think like this, Republicans think like this" discussion, which I could get on any news network instead of needing TAL to tell me that. In fact I didn't really think it was a TAL episode at all, it just didn't have the same personal kind of subject or story that's normal for TAL. A valuable episode, but not really a TAL episode.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Terrific show this week on climate change. Extremely depressing though.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

C-Euro posted:

That's a good message to convey but outside of that, the episode just seemed to me like another "Democrats think like this, Republicans think like this" discussion, which I could get on any news network instead of needing TAL to tell me that. In fact I didn't really think it was a TAL episode at all, it just didn't have the same personal kind of subject or story that's normal for TAL. A valuable episode, but not really a TAL episode.

Ever since their very good podcasts describing the 2008 collapse, it seems like they've been trying to do more journalistic stuff. Personally, I approve, especially since last week's episode featured a dumbass story about how the Penguin got jealous of the Batman hitting on Catwoman or something like that. I swear it was done by one of the squirrel fable guys.

Second point, it sort of is a "Dems this, Pubs that," except it's going, "Holy crap, idiots actually think like this, corporations are going to do what they are going to do, and there's next to nothing we can do about it except maybe hope that our pot smoking, gay marrying kids can outlive the stupids."

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 21, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I heard part of the prologue on the radio this weekend, and was looking forward to listening to this week's episode.

Then I read that it's a joint venture with loving Ally Bank's Planet Money, brought to you by Ally Bank, and I lost all interest. The

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Ever since their very good podcasts describing the 2008 collapse, it seems like they've been trying to do more journalistic stuff. Personally, I approve, especially since last week's episode featured a dumbass story about how the Penguin got jealous of the Batman hitting on Catwoman or something like that. I swear it was done by one of the squirrel fable guys.

Second point, it sort of is a "Dems this, Pubs that," except it's going, "Holy crap, idiots actually think like this, corporations are going to do what they are going to do, and there's next to nothing we can do about it except maybe hope that our pot smoking, gay marrying kids can outlive the stupids."

I'm not American so it's quite interesting to listen to those kinds of episodes, it's funny to me how the difference between Republicans and Democrats is presented; recently Ira Glass actually said the Democrats were 'on the left'. I prefer the episodes on actual current events, or those that involve at least some journalism, even if it is viewed through the liberal/conservative dichotomy.

These days I can't stand the fluff pieces; the other week I heard Ira Glass announce David Sedaris and I immediately stopped and listened to something else. Also last week's piece on the guy in the call centre bored me to tears. I know some people like those kinds of stories but I would like to hear more episodes like the one on patents, or the Chicago school. Also I get that I'm probably missed the entire point of TAL since it is mostly whimsical stories but I really think when they do serious journalism they do it well and it's far more interesting. Even if those episodes in a minority, I still subscribe and just skip over the fluff.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Phone posted:

I heard part of the prologue on the radio this weekend, and was looking forward to listening to this week's episode.

Then I read that it's a joint venture with loving Ally Bank's Planet Money, brought to you by Ally Bank, and I lost all interest. The

Ally Bank, known for their heavy involvement in patent litigation.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

planet money is terrible and i trust them not one iota

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I understand the criticisms of Planet Money and their relationship with their sponsors but I don't think this episode suffers for it particularly. It was a good episode.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

fivre posted:

Ally Bank, known for their heavy involvement in patent litigation.

Ally Bank, known for their heavy involvement in the welfare system.

Planet Money's "journalists" are loving pathetic and their week long investigation into welfare in America was disgraceful at best.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Phone posted:

Ally Bank, known for their heavy involvement in the welfare system.

So what, are you affirming that they have a vested interest in neither?

I think someone mentioned that a private unemployment insurance company underwrites them also, which could actually be a conflict of interest.

In other news, I'm going to stop listening to TAL altogether because Reputation.com and Squarespace are completely clueless about violence in Chicago schools and animal fables.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Not to turn this into Why Planet Money is Garbage 101, but Planet Money for the most part is unmitigated horseshit when it comes to journalism. It isn't even a matter of "Banks are awesome, according to Bank survey", Planet Money's hosts and contributors are dishonest.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
I've found Planet Money pretty entertaining for the most part, but I don't go into it expecting hard-hitting, crucial journalism, so that probably has a lot to do with it. It falls in with Freakonomics* under the umbrella of "huh, that's pretty neat." Last week's piece on the guy patent trolling podcasters was pretty good, I thought.

And I agree about TAL being far more interesting and worthwhile on the week's when it's longform as opposed to "here's three very loosely grouped stories that aren't all that interesting," though sometimes one of those stories or pieces is pretty decent.

I mean, there are definitely more scholarly podcasts out there if that's what you're after, but some of the ones I've checked out have basically been a small group of folks waving their PhDs around and justifying their status in academia. I kind of despite the dry, scholarly podcasts and the pop culture circlejerk ones in equal measure, so decent stuff that finds a comfortable place between the two is always welcome in my opinion.

*But goddamn, do I hate that ad that has the line "chief life officer" in it.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Phone posted:

It isn't even a matter of "Banks are awesome, according to Bank survey", Planet Money's hosts and contributors are dishonest.

Interesting. I hadn't heard this before. Do you have a link/description of some of the dishonest or shady stuff that may have done?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Here's the big, hard hitter: http://shameproject.com/report/adam-davidson-corrupt-wall-street-booster/

I was wrong about the welfare statement, it was specifically their week-long program on disability in the US. Here's a decent summary of it here: http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread...whats-left-of-o

The D&D thread about the disability show is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540117

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

theradiostillsucks posted:

I mean, there are definitely more scholarly podcasts out there if that's what you're after, but some of the ones I've checked out have basically been a small group of folks waving their PhDs around and justifying their status in academia. I kind of despite the dry, scholarly podcasts and the pop culture circlejerk ones in equal measure, so decent stuff that finds a comfortable place between the two is always welcome in my opinion.

Not to derail too much, but I recently discovered [url=http://www.footnotinghistory.com/]Footnoting History[/u], which is a group of young historians (grad students and early career professors, I think) doing mostly 15-20 minute episodes on various small topics from their research that they find interesting. I'm a historian myself and so am probably biased, but I've found it an enjoyable listen and, since most of the topics they discuss are pretty far afield from my work, suspect that it's pretty accessible to non-academics. So people looking for short, scholarly podcasts should check that one out; it's definitely not Ph.D.-waving.

• Locked thread