Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

LowellDND posted:

Can you do plots to targets outside your domain?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's a real shame. I'm king, I should be able to do whatever the hell I want when it comes to assassination/involuntary relocation of my progeny.

Yeah, one of the big lessons about this game is that "I'm king, I should be able to do whatever the hell I want" isn't really a thing yet. The king ruled as long as his vassals were willing to put up with it or were too scared to do anything about it. Large chunks of the Holy Roman Empire's history and the events leading to the Magna Carta were basically about vassals getting tired of their lord and getting violent about it.

LowellDND posted:

Can you do plots to targets outside your domain?

Absolutely! "Murder your neighbor" is one of the major minigames. Stab your rival's heirs until his cruel slothful imbecile bastard daughter is first in line. Stab princes until the fifth son matrilineally married to your daughter becomes king. Stab the people who are trying to stab you for your previous stabbings.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

BabyFur Denny posted:

Find someone with a claim to that Duchy, get him/her to your court and press the claim. Since that claim is on your De Jure land, the courtier will become your vassal and the Duchy yours.
You can easily find all characters with a claim to that Duchy by clicking the "Claimants" button in the Overview for that Duchy.

That sounds perfect. I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner, I knew about that mechanic but it never occured to me. I could have taken a lot of Scotland and Wales much quicker if I had remembered.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nolanar posted:

Yeah, one of the big lessons about this game is that "I'm king, I should be able to do whatever the hell I want" isn't really a thing yet. The king ruled as long as his vassals were willing to put up with it or were too scared to do anything about it. Large chunks of the Holy Roman Empire's history and the events leading to the Magna Carta were basically about vassals getting tired of their lord and getting violent about it.

Well to be clear I don't mind there being repurcussions to my actions. I'm not suggesting that as king I should be able to just bypass the lineage game and do whatever pleases me. But dammit I should be able to find conspirators who would be interested in paving the way for the succession of my genius daughter, especially since I'm sure the daughters would both be up for it since they would benefit so greatly. The fact that I can assassinate my kid, but not conspire with other peeps to have that happen, is what's bugging me.

quote:

Absolutely! "Murder your neighbor" is one of the major minigames. Stab your rival's heirs until his cruel slothful imbecile bastard daughter is first in line. Stab princes until the fifth son matrilineally married to your daughter becomes king. Stab the people who are trying to stab you for your previous stabbings.

And then stab yourself!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
There is almost no problem in CK2 that cannot be solved by stabbing.

Enemy King too strong? Stab him, let his vassals fight amongst themselves. Your vassal getting too powerful? Stab him, replace him with someone more pliable. Your heir an idiot? Stab him, get a better one. Your wife too old to have kids? Stab her, trade up for a younger model. Your treasury a little low? Stab a courtier, inherit their pocket change. Adventurer coming to seize your lands? Stab him before he gets there. Pope unhappy about your investiture laws? Stab him, hope the next pope is more reasonable.

Stabbing solves everything.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Enemy King too strong? Stab him, let his vassals fight amongst themselves. Your vassal getting too powerful? Stab him, replace him with someone more pliable. Your heir an idiot? Stab him, get a better one. Your wife too old to have kids? Stab her, trade up for a younger model. Your treasury a little low? Stab a courtier, inherit their pocket change. Adventurer coming to seize your lands? Stab him before he gets there. Pope unhappy about your investiture laws? Stab him, hope the next pope is more reasonable.

Stabbing solves everything.

Am I the only one that uses stabbing as a last resort thing? And even then, I am more likely to use my money to hire more mercs than to waste 250 gold having a 25% chance of killing one dude, and then getting found out and having everyone hate me.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Am I the only one that uses stabbing as a last resort thing? And even then, I am more likely to use my money to hire more mercs than to waste 250 gold having a 25% chance of killing one dude, and then getting found out and having everyone hate me.

That's why you plot to stab them.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Mystic_Shadow posted:

I usually never stab anyone. Not worth the trouble.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Dauntasa posted:

Oh man I really should focus on Intrigue more.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Are there any mods that you plot to stab your heir? Are there any other characters you can't plot against?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are there any mods that you plot to stab your heir? Are there any other characters you can't plot against?

Looking at 00_plots.txt, the only limitation is you can't plot against your own kid. Well, or your spouse, but that's just because there's a special plot for that. I suppose you could comment out the "not my own children" lines and let it work that way.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Dauntasa posted:

In my 300 hours spent playing this game I have had < 10 plots succeed before someone blabs. I've had plots going with >100% plot power for over two years, then the spymaster in on the plot gets drunk.

They are just too much effort to do for the near guaranteed prestige hit.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dauntasa posted:

1) plot to stab
2) if no one wants to back your plot even with bribing/cajoling and it's important enough, send your spymaster to boost your chances and shell out the ducats.

if short on ducats, stab a courtier or manipulate your way into a tyranny free banishment.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Nolanar posted:

Looking at 00_plots.txt, the only limitation is you can't plot against your own kid. Well, or your spouse, but that's just because there's a special plot for that. I suppose you could comment out the "not my own children" lines and let it work that way.

I was really astounded to start playing Old Gods without CK2+ (which is all I've been using since I started playing CK2) and find out I couldn't plot against my kids. What the hell is up with that? Getting rid of ambitious or otherwise dangerous kids was pretty much my MO in CK2+. And now with forced gavelkind it's even more of an issue :(

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I am amazed at how some of you guys can do so much with one ruler. I feel good enough taking down my king as a strong duke but how can you guys get so many kingdoms and such conquered?

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Enemy King too strong? Stab him let his vassals fight amongst themselves and subjugate his vassals. Your vassal getting too powerful? Stab him, replace him with someone more pliable. Goad him into revolting, take him prisoner, and sacrifice him at a blot. Your heir an idiot? Stab him, get a better one. Make him join the Varangian Guard and become a man or die trying. Your wife too old to have kids? Stab her, trade up for a younger model. Take a concubine. Your treasury a little low? Stab a courtier, inherit their pocket change. Go raiding. Adventurer coming to seize your lands? Stab him before he gets there. Pope unhappy about your investiture laws? Stab him, hope the next pope is more reasonable. Raid the Vatican, take the Pope as your prisoner, and sacrifice him at a blot.

I'm not sure I'll be able to play as anything but Norse ever again.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

LowellDND posted:

Additional question: A lot of walkthroughs say dont give counties to your heir, give them to some random cousin who wouldn't inherit. Why is this a good move?
I usually give something to my heirs so they can build prestige until my duke/king whatever dies and they come up, that way the land doesn't instantly erupt in rebellion. This way you can also take them to war so they can build up their martial stat or learn new traits. This is very useful in Crusades as well, so they can get the Crusader trait and get opinion bonuses.

Giving new land to kinsmen will keep them loyal to you though, and ensure that county's flow of gold into your coffers.

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 3, 2013

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

hellsjudge posted:

I usually give something to my heirs so they can build prestige until my duke/king whatever dies and they come up, that way the land doesn't instantly erupt in rebellion. This way you can also take them to war so they can build up their martial stat or learn new traits. This is very useful in Crusades as well, so they can get the Crusader trait and get opinion bonuses.

Giving new land to kinsmen will keep them loyal to you though, and ensure that county's flow of gold into your coffers.

Odd, my vassal sons are the ones who hate me most.

Is there a limit to plots? Can a noble be on more then one?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

hellsjudge posted:

If you educate your heirs yourself and only take the good options to have an awesome ruler later on, then you should not give them titles because they tend to accumulate bad traits while ruling.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Antinumeric posted:

In my 300 hours spent playing this game I have had < 10 plots succeed before someone blabs. I've had plots going with >100% plot power for over two years, then the spymaster in on the plot gets drunk.

They are just too much effort to do for the near guaranteed prestige hit.

I was playing as the Roman Emperor (only true Emperor) last night and I had a pesky baron whose fortunes had collapsed as he kept plotting against me, I'd try to imprison him, he'd raise his banner in rebellion and then I'd beat him, revoke his highest title, and on we went until ten years later he'd get caught plotting against me again... so anyway I got fed up with the bastard who was down to a barony in a county in my demesne, so I began to plot his demise. I was able to organize a conspiracy of 20+ people with the plot power at over 250 percent.

A few months later, one of them gets drunk and blabs everything. But he hates me already so that doesn't change much.

Then, attempt one: have a carpenter weaken a balcony. He escapes the attempt, carpenter tells all under torture.

Attempt two, a month later: exact same scheme. He'll never see it coming right? Exact same result as before.

Attempt three, a snake in his bed. He escapes with his life once again, and the snake handler might as well write a tell all book titled "How I Helped Basileus Theodosius III Attempt To Kill Baron Theodoros And Lived To Tell The Tale."

Attempt four, some time later, we go for the balcony trick again. He doesn't die, though he doesn't find out who did it. I have a feeling he had a strong suspicion on the culprit, though.

Then, several years of nothing, until the damned baron died of smallpox.

So yeah, plotting is kind of terrible.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I roleplay my stabbings, with few exceptions.

One is "Oh, poo poo. This entire war I'm losing is all to press the claims of ONE GUY? Well, surely that ONE GUY wouldn't be missed, would he? Oh, look at that, the entire French Army is now turning around. Who could have imagined?"

Toward the end of my Islamic Kingdom of Venice game, I had so much money coming in a month, that often, I'd just chain-stab people I didn't like. Someone pissing me off? I'll just pause the game and diplo-assassinate them until it works. I like to think of it as hiring an entire assassins' guild.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Someone recommended Nantes as a good Norse start, he is so good though I'm not sure what direction to take it. You get 40 free boats and 2300ish free troops in three units. No preexisting wars. You can take them and go raiding, conquer Venice or Rome, etc.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Playing as the Mazarpanate of Gilan (the single-county Zoroastrian ruler), and having a very hard time keeping things together. How the gently caress am I and the Karen guy supposed to deal with the Saffarids? Nobody will join my plot to assassinate the Saffarid ruler, and I can't conglomerate in time to deal with his doom stack of 10K troops! :(

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You can try this:

Give your heir a county, then save the game, load up as him, initiate a plot to kill your character, save, load back up as your guy, discover his plot, imprison and kill/blind him.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Flippycunt posted:

You can try this:

Give your heir a county, then save the game, load up as him, initiate a plot to kill your character, save, load back up as your guy, discover his plot, imprison and kill/blind him.

If you're going to do all of that then you might as well just use console commands to kill him.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Speaking of stabbings, is there any way to destabilize the HRE? I'm the Doge of Venice and I wanna acquire all my trade post lands. I keep assassinating the HRE emperor but due to it being elective they always get a high diplomacy guy in and never collapse.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Speaking of stabbings, is there any way to destabilize the HRE? I'm the Doge of Venice and I wanna acquire all my trade post lands. I keep assassinating the HRE emperor but due to it being elective they always get a high diplomacy guy in and never collapse.

Find someone who wants to be independent, set your chancellor to "tarnish relations with liege" on the HRE's capital, and hope for the best. Alternatively if you're desperate you can create your own antipope and hope that heresies tear the empire apart.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Flippycunt posted:

You can try this:

Yeah I considered doing something like that, but I'd rather try to avoiding gaming things too much. Then again perhaps I could title one of his sisters and do it that way, at least then it makes sense.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

I always laugh at the people who claim playing as Venice is like playing with cheats, but then there are others who want to give them even more power.

You're not really meant to have trade posts in the HRE as Venice. They will embargo your serene butt and there's little you can do about it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I just won a Prepared Invasion of southern England.
The Petty King I warred against called up a shitload of allies to the fight and we were outnumbered in most of the battles we fought (including 4200-2500 in one fight), but Vikings are made of stronger stuff than mere mortal Englishmen, it seems.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

kingturnip posted:

The Petty King I warred against called up a shitload of allies to the fight and we were outnumbered in most of the battles we fought (including 4200-2500 in one fight), but Vikings are made of stronger stuff than mere mortal Englishmen, it seems.

A LOT stronger stuff.

What is it that make all pagans fighting machines in Old Gods? I've lost battles where I outnumber them 2 to 1 on my own turf.

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010
What file should I edit if I wanted to make Great Holy wars startable in the year 1000?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Trying to get stick with this game, one thing that'll help me out that didn't get explained in the tutorial:

If I have a county that will be lost with succession, how do I stop it, or take it for my own? My, uh, chancellor? The guy that can fabricate claims, he's kinda useless it seems if I have a de jur claim already.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Rejected Fate posted:

A LOT stronger stuff.

What is it that make all pagans fighting machines in Old Gods? I've lost battles where I outnumber them 2 to 1 on my own turf.

If you're not a pagan religion you suffer from attrition at a lower rate than normal when fighting in pagan lands.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Grem posted:

Trying to get stick with this game, one thing that'll help me out that didn't get explained in the tutorial:

If I have a county that will be lost with succession, how do I stop it, or take it for my own? My, uh, chancellor? The guy that can fabricate claims, he's kinda useless it seems if I have a de jur claim already.

It depends. If it is a county you own and will be lost when you die due to gavelkind, your heir will have a claim for it. If it is a bishopric, then appoint a new successor if your laws allow. Otherwise this is usually when one of your female vassals regular marries a landowner outside your realm, so their heir from outside your realm will inherit.

So for example if you as King of Ireland had a vassal countess who marries the king of England. They have a son, who is heir to both your county and England. The King of England dies and the son becomes king. Then your countess dies and her county becomes part of England. Ways round this include- declaring a de jure war against England and getting your county back. Revoke her county before she dies (if your crown authority is high enough), or murder her children and husband.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

kingturnip posted:

How do you get Prepared Invasions going? Is it in the diplomacy menu of your target?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
So, the missionary to pagan lands event.

Before any factors come into play, the AI is biased 3 to 1 towards imprisoning the preacher.

Bad effects:
If they're zealous, refusal is 3 times as likely. Don't try to convert zealous pagans.
If they've reformed, refusal is 5 times as likely. Don't try to convert reformed pagans (is that even possible?).
If it's before 930, refusal is 5 times as likely. Don't try to convert them before 930...except in one case, below.
If they're baltic culture, refusal is 5 times as likely. gently caress those guys.
Muslims are 3 times as likely to be refused by East Slavic cultures, and 5 times as likely to be refused by North Germanic. (#Vikings do like their alcohol)
All pagans are 10 times as likely to refuse if they're currently ATTACKING in a religious war.

Good effects:
Before 930, North Germanic cultures are 4 times more likely to allow Catholic preachers. Combined with the above effect, this works out to a 15 to 4 chance of refusal, still not too great. But combination with other good effects can help it out a bit more.
If they're cynical, acceptance is 3 times as likely. This can actually get you to parity!!
If they're arbitrary, acceptance is twice as likely.
East slavic cultures are 3 times as likely to accept orthodox missionaries.
And all pagans are 4 times as likely to accept missionaries if they're currently DEFENDING in a religious war (holy war or crusade).

Opinion of the person sending the missionary does not come into play. So, though it might be a bit gamey, the most effective way of maximizing your chances of success would probably be to declare a holy war on the person you intend to convert just before sending out the missionary.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
On the topic of stabbing, good targets are the allies of your enemies. If the allied king dies, their invitation to the war ends, and the alliance itself might be rendered void due to the different relationships.

Crusade merits are also scored by the individual, not the realm. I have won the lands in a Crusade by killing all the kings and dukes above me until my mediocre efforts won me the Holy Lands. I got caught many times, but the Pope didn't seem to mind.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Strudel Man posted:

So, the missionary to pagan lands event.

Before any factors come into play, the AI is biased 3 to 1 towards imprisoning the preacher.

Bad effects:
If they're zealous, refusal is 3 times as likely. Don't try to convert zealous pagans.
If they've reformed, refusal is 5 times as likely. Don't try to convert reformed pagans (is that even possible?).
If it's before 930, refusal is 5 times as likely. Don't try to convert them before 930...except in one case, below.
If they're baltic culture, refusal is 5 times as likely. gently caress those guys.
Muslims are 3 times as likely to be refused by East Slavic cultures, and 5 times as likely to be refused by North Germanic. (#Vikings do like their alcohol)
All pagans are 10 times as likely to refuse if they're currently ATTACKING in a religious war.

Good effects:
Before 930, North Germanic cultures are 4 times more likely to allow Catholic preachers. Combined with the above effect, this works out to a 15 to 4 chance of refusal, still not too great. But combination with other good effects can help it out a bit more.
If they're cynical, acceptance is 3 times as likely. This can actually get you to parity!!
If they're arbitrary, acceptance is twice as likely.
East slavic cultures are 3 times as likely to accept orthodox missionaries.
And all pagans are 4 times as likely to accept missionaries if they're currently DEFENDING in a religious war (holy war or crusade).

Opinion of the person sending the missionary does not come into play. So, though it might be a bit gamey, the most effective way of maximizing your chances of success would probably be to declare a holy war on the person you intend to convert just before sending out the missionary.

well given that one way to get out of a holy war is to convert any way its a two pronged attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Are there any events/mechanics tied to any of the Catholic heresies? ie, is there any benefit to my converting to Lollardy or Catharism besides holy wars and the self-reward of being less morally reprehensible than Catholicism?

• Locked thread