Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Webbeh posted:

Xperience1080 is an offshoot of XperienceMore, if I recall correctly.

I don't think this is the case. I think Black original created xperience, and then when he switched to a metro-like skin the Xperiencemore guy created an offshoot with the original interface.

If you don't see the update either restart xbmc or manually refresh and check for updates on the xbmc repo. Personally I am still using the Rainbow+ mod of xperience because I like the font better and I can hid the awful submenu arrows on the home screens.

e: looks like he added the option to hide the submenu arrows, good stuff.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I decided to try move the storage partition to USB instead of the SD card on one of my Raspberry Pi's on OpenElec, the improvement in menu navigation while browsing libraries has been significant. I guess it's the read speed when loading fanart which slows it down on the SD card.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Yes, I also experienced a dramatic improvement in artwork loading times when I switched from SD cards to USB drives.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Im having problems getting replaygain to work on XBMC. It works fine in other players but not in Frodo.
Everything is ticked and the files have all been scanned but no joy.

Any help?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
XBMC 13 April/May builds are now available for those who love that bleeding edge. Changes include but aren't limited to:

- FFMPEG 1.2 (crazy long list of changes)
- Settings Refactor:

quote:

The Settings Refactor is like-wise quite huge, but worth discussing in a bit more detail. Previously, settings were entirely dependent upon XBMC’s graphical user interface (GUI). If you didn’t manually change a setting in that interface, the setting could not be changed. Skinners had no access to the settings. Outside applications (like the official Android and iOS remotes) couldn’t interact with them. Any attempt by users to run XBMC as a server were hamstrung by the fact that you couldn’t actually control most of the server features without physically launching the XBMC GUI.

This refactor separated settings from the GUI, so now all of those obstacles can easily be overcome. In addition, because settings are no longer dependent on the GUI, we can do a lot of interesting things that were not previously possible.

The Basic settings are, indeed, basic.
For the first time, settings can now be reset to default, so everyone who discovers they’ve completely screwed up their audio settings finally have a fallback. The reset feature is fortunately quite narrow. It only applies to the window you are currently looking at. So, for example, if you reset your audio settings, you won’t accidentally reset your video settings too.

The settings GUI also has now has “settings levels” including Basic, Standard (default), Advanced, and Expert. The default Standard shows fewer settings than the previous default, and Expert is still a work in progress, but is likely to house a number of the settings that used to exist solely as part of the advancedsettings.xml.

Finally, with this separation, skins now have the power to show actual explanations of what each setting does, so users are no longer forced to puzzle over “Preferred Audio Language” or “Vertical blank sync.” Skinners can present a simple description that may easily explain the setting in non-developer speak.

A bunch of other stuff that sounds neat like better movie set management and the web interface supporting physical keystrokes. Not that this is very much in an alpha state and you probably shouldn't install on your main machine.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

EC posted:

XBMC 13 April/May builds are now available for those who love that bleeding edge. Changes include but aren't limited to:

- FFMPEG 1.2 (crazy long list of changes)
- Settings Refactor:

A bunch of other stuff that sounds neat like better movie set management and the web interface supporting physical keystrokes. Not that this is very much in an alpha state and you probably shouldn't install on your main machine.
Yay more alpha software to test

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
When are they going to merge emulator support?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Does this mean we can run a client on our servers more easily then?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

kri kri posted:

That's what it seems to say if you read the article. Could be interesting...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Does ffmpeg1.2 mean anything to the common person?

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

kri kri posted:

This is more what XBMC seems to be heading toward anyway, so it makes sense.

This coupled with all of the improvements with UPnP make it seems like XBMC is going to move to a client/server configuration like Plex. The sooner they do, the better, in my opinion.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Odd problem, my playback stutters every so often. Doesn't matter if its a movie or a youtube video. It used to be fine but sometime after the 12.1 update it started. I tried to uninstall xbmc and do a reinstall but it saved all my settings so I don't think that worked. I have updated to the stable 12.2 release as well. How can I do a clean install of xbmc and is there anything else I can try? Any type of logging that would help find the cause of the stutter? Thanks goons.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It would help to know what OS you're running. Assuming Windows. There's a folder in \userdata that stores all of the settings. Check the wiki for exactly where for other OSs as well.

That probably won't fix your issue though. You might want to create a debug log and see if there's anything strange in there.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Anyone have a good add-on for downloading subtitles? I just had to wrestle with a couple of sites to find the one that was synced up right.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Illuminado posted:

Anyone have a good add-on for downloading subtitles? I just had to wrestle with a couple of sites to find the one that was synced up right.

I use the official one (or, at least it's been around so long it might as well be) which is in the XBMC repo under subtitles. You can set it up to work with several different sites, languages, etc. Works great for me.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Ixian posted:

I use the official one (or, at least it's been around so long it might as well be) which is in the XBMC repo under subtitles. You can set it up to work with several different sites, languages, etc. Works great for me.

Huh, I obviously missed that one. I'll have to hunt for it when I get home.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Illuminado posted:

Huh, I obviously missed that one. I'll have to hunt for it when I get home.

Its pretty good. I use betaseries and opensubtitles. Also this is a good site for tv subs:

http://www.addic7ed.com/

They are not available on the xbmc addon for some drama-filled reason I think, but I can find pretty much anything I need with addon.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Ixian posted:

I tried it when it first came out and it was a huuuuge disappointment. I used to get subtitles that had completely different timings or were for different cuts of the movie. Has it gotten more accurate now?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

kri kri posted:

They have said in the past that they want XBMC to move towards sharing files using UPnP, having one system act as a master system that actually has the files local to it self or mapped from network files, and the others just streaming the files from the master using UPnP.

This update is adding support for tracking watched statuses for files using UPnP and the new settings engine which will allow for a
"headless" mode. I would not be surprised if they have a server/headless install for XBMC in version 13.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

tarepanda posted:

I tried it when it first came out and it was a huuuuge disappointment. I used to get subtitles that had completely different timings or were for different cuts of the movie. Has it gotten more accurate now?

Well, the addon has nothing to do with that. It just allows you to set up multiple sites/languages to pull from, and then while watching a show or whatever that doesn't have a sub you select get sub and it'll give you a list to pull from.

Generally speaking I can find subs for just about anything that isn't brand new, and the majority are pretty decent.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Ixian posted:

Well, the addon has nothing to do with that. It just allows you to set up multiple sites/languages to pull from, and then while watching a show or whatever that doesn't have a sub you select get sub and it'll give you a list to pull from.

Generally speaking I can find subs for just about anything that isn't brand new, and the majority are pretty decent.

The biggest problem isn't going to be the the addon/downloader, but the naming conventions of your movie. If you're getting :filez: the subtitles are named the same as the files--the crazy scene name stuff.

If you're then renaming those to something more sane like <title><year>.mkv, then the addon has no idea what subtitle you're actually looking for, so you'll end up with the "best guess" which isn't much better than a shot in the dark.

The trick would be to get the subtitle before you change the file name.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Or having the older name be nice an pretty and keeping the original file name. Very helpful.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

For movies I use SAB renamer to just rename the folder and it keeps the original filename. For TV I rename them with nzbdrone and I can usually get pretty good subs. If they are off and I really want them I just adjust the offset.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

Lowen SoDium posted:

They have said in the past that they want XBMC to move towards sharing files using UPnP, having one system act as a master system that actually has the files local to it self or mapped from network files, and the others just streaming the files from the master using UPnP.

This update is adding support for tracking watched statuses for files using UPnP and the new settings engine which will allow for a
"headless" mode. I would not be surprised if they have a server/headless install for XBMC in version 13.

I haven't played with UPNP streaming much. Is this similar to how you can use twonky/ps3 media server to stream stuff via DLNA to a ps3 (for example)? If so, the one thing that always frustrated me about the PS3, and maybe this is just bad experience from the PS3, fast forwarding basically did not work, nor were you able to pick up a show where you left it off. Is that a common problem with upnp streaming? If so I do not really see that working to well for playback.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

cixelsyd posted:

I haven't played with UPNP streaming much. Is this similar to how you can use twonky/ps3 media server to stream stuff via DLNA to a ps3 (for example)? If so, the one thing that always frustrated me about the PS3, and maybe this is just bad experience from the PS3, fast forwarding basically did not work, nor were you able to pick up a show where you left it off. Is that a common problem with upnp streaming? If so I do not really see that working to well for playback.

The no fast forwarding is a problem with transcoding and has nothing to do with streaming over upnp. As long as your playback device can play the media natively you won't have that problem. Resuming playback is just a function of the player being used as well, and XBMC obviously does this already so also not a problem.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

evilalien posted:

The no fast forwarding is a problem with transcoding and has nothing to do with streaming over upnp. As long as your playback device can play the media natively you won't have that problem. Resuming playback is just a function of the player being used as well, and XBMC obviously does this already so also not a problem.

That's good to know. I feel like a lot of this stuff, similarly to HDMI-CEC is one of those things that's great in concept but has been poorly implemented by a lot of vendors. Seeing the open source community picking it up and making it work better is a great step in the right direction.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

cixelsyd posted:

In this case, UPnP is merely the transport mechanism. Since your playback device should also be an XBMC machine, there should be no Transcoding involved. Your master or server XBMC is just presenting the files and library using UPnP and then streaming them in their original format/codec and the client XBMC system is doing the actual decoding. The alternative (current) way of doing this is through various network sharing protocols like SMB, NFS, FTP, etc.

You could also do playback on a UPnP TV or set top box if it supported the file type and codec, since XBMC does not do any transcoding currently. Actually, you can do that in the current version. XBMC has a pretty decent UPnP server implementation. I have used it in the past to stream TV shows to my tablet over wifi. Everything is still organized the same way it is in XBMC.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

evilalien posted:

Just as a note, XBMC does not currently support playback/resume/watched status via UPnP in Frodo. It's an enhancement that will be available in Gotham.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

wolfbiker posted:

Yes, I also experienced a dramatic improvement in artwork loading times when I switched from SD cards to USB drives.

Which usb stick are you using?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
If I set a season image manually, does it copy the file to the XBMC home directory, or does it always reference the original location I specified?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

EC posted:

If I set a season image manually, does it copy the file to the XBMC home directory, or does it always reference the original location I specified?

All thumbnails get cached inside the XBMC userdata folder.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

kri kri posted:

Which usb stick are you using?

Lexar 8GB Echo ZX Flash Drive. It's really tiny but from what I remember during my research, it has decent read/write speeds as well.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

evilalien posted:

All thumbnails get cached inside the XBMC userdata folder.

Thanks, worked great.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I have had an ongoing problem with my HTPC. It's a Windows 7 machine, and the big issue is two different things:

1) Many times when I switch over from my cable input to my HTPC, the screen is completely black with no way to get out of it. This is not an HDCP/handshaking issue because if I hook up a keyboard, I press Win+D and my desktop shows up fine. So it's not that. Once I relaunch XBMC, it is fine again. This is incredibly annoying was wondering what could be causing it? It's one of those NVIDIA iON / ATOM motherboards that are low-powered and cheap, but do 1080p fine. I have 2GB of RAM in it, Windows 7 32 Bit.

2) This one is almost more annoying just because I've gone to the XMBC forums and no one there could figure it out either. I have XBMC set to boot with my Windows, and to boot in full screen. It works...sometimes. Usually what will happen when Windows 7 starts up is XBMC will be full screen, and then around 20 seconds in, it minimizes for seemingly no reason.
I had asked all over the place if there was a way to "force" XBMC to "always be on top" if that makes sense, and no one knew the answer.

It's not obvious why XBMC would be minimizing. Maybe it's some background Windows 7 program doing it, I don't know. But any help would be very much appreciated!!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Use xbmclauncher.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

kri kri posted:

Use xbmclauncher.

This did not exist back when I first tried to combat this issue. Thanks a million!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
So I got a common problem - stuff isn't showing up in my XBMC library. And after much hacking around, renaming, shifting stuff ... it still isn't being recognised. And in a peculiar way.

We used to use Boxee, but about 2 months ago shifted to XBMC. Of course, there was the usual teething problems but now almost all of our movies are now being recognised. However almost none of the TV episodes are being identified, and in weird ways. For example, I have both seasons of "Romanzo Criminale" in a folder, with the files named "Romanzo Criminale.S01E02.What the title is.mp4". And XMBC sees the folder and the first three episodes - that's it. They're all named in the same fashion, so why just the first three? I thought maybe that the subsequent ones are being labelled as watched and not shown, but marking the series as unwatched doesn't change anything.

All the other TV series we have showing strange behaviour - all of "Terriers" was picked up, all but one of "Kings" shows up, a handful of "Game of Thrones" is found, several other shows have not a single episode picked up. I've used FileBot to rename stuff to a consistent, correct and XBMC-friendly way but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Any pointers on what I can try next? Could identification have crashed oartway through in some way and is not restarting?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Would it be possible to delete the video library and start over from scratch to see if the problem happens again? Back it up first, obviously. Otherwise you'll have to enable the debug log and do an update to see if you can spot anything.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

outlier posted:

So I got a common problem - stuff isn't showing up in my XBMC library. And after much hacking around, renaming, shifting stuff ... it still isn't being recognised. And in a peculiar way.

We used to use Boxee, but about 2 months ago shifted to XBMC. Of course, there was the usual teething problems but now almost all of our movies are now being recognised. However almost none of the TV episodes are being identified, and in weird ways. For example, I have both seasons of "Romanzo Criminale" in a folder, with the files named "Romanzo Criminale.S01E02.What the title is.mp4". And XMBC sees the folder and the first three episodes - that's it. They're all named in the same fashion, so why just the first three? I thought maybe that the subsequent ones are being labelled as watched and not shown, but marking the series as unwatched doesn't change anything.

All the other TV series we have showing strange behaviour - all of "Terriers" was picked up, all but one of "Kings" shows up, a handful of "Game of Thrones" is found, several other shows have not a single episode picked up. I've used FileBot to rename stuff to a consistent, correct and XBMC-friendly way but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Any pointers on what I can try next? Could identification have crashed oartway through in some way and is not restarting?

Right click on the show, go to show information, then refresh. Likely it's reading an nfo file somewhere with incomplete listings. Once you've told it to refresh all episodes it ought to fix itself. If this is the cause, avoid using nfo files for tv with xbmc. Better to rely on the scrapers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Before I switched to the proper naming methods for xbmc one thing I always did to help figure out why it was having trouble scraping the video was to browse for the file within xbmc. Go to the files directory, find the missing file and check info. Often I had named a movie that was too vague for xbmc to figure out.