Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Barudak posted:

Hey, lets make it so the new classes aren't straight stat upgrades and skill upgrades but keep the enemy strength curve intact as though they were.

Hrm, that feels really overpowered still. I bet players will just destroy bosses so we should give bosses twice as many turns. Who cares if a boss has a party-wide attack? I'm sure it doesn't deal much damage.

Oh, and let's limit the strength of the class system by gutting your stats for several battles after you change jobs, which is cumulative if you have to change jobs in quick succession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Even FFXI didn't have such awful design.

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

FFIII isn't really a great game on any platform but I'd recommend playing the DS/iOS/PSP version just because it's more charming than the original.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LoudLoudNoise posted:

FFIII isn't really a great game on any platform but I'd recommend playing the DS/iOS/PSP version just because it's more charming than the original.
If getting repeatedly hosed by bosses who regularly cast party-wiping spells at the end of a long dungeon with NES-style "only save on the world map" saves is your idea of charming, the only workaround being "get more HP," I'd hate to see what you consider bad.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Oh come now, White Dragon, you didn't even mention the completely unnecessary addition of giving the four kids personalities, which causes the DS version's story to not make any bit of sense!

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

If getting repeatedly hosed by bosses who regularly cast party-wiping spells at the end of a long dungeon with NES-style "only save on the world map" saves is your idea of charming, the only workaround being "get more HP," I'd hate to see what you consider bad.

I didn't say it was a good game, though? I really wouldn't recommend anyone try to actually complete the game. Get as far as you can handle and consider it a game you've "experienced". Move on and play a better FF game.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
FF3 is fantastic, and has one of my favorite boss themes in the series. It's simple, which is a tough adjustment, but miles ahead of 1 and 2. However, even with upgraded graphics, it plays like an NES RPG. Might as well play the original, it's easier.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

FF3 is fantastic, and has one of my favorite boss themes in the series.

I can't stand playing FFII or VIII, but at least I can say that the music is excellent.

I also think FFIII on the NES is a much better game. Although I enjoyed the orchestral soundtrack from the remake, the chiptunes are still really catchy. The gameplay is also far better, since the number of enemies in the remake is limited to three, while the NES could handle up to nine. The 3D graphics also look dreadful to me, but it may be slightly improved by playing it on a PSP or an iOS device.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kyrosiris posted:

...No, the DS version of FF3 is pretty demonstrably harder than the NES version. A lot of the ways that it's harder/more annoying are dumb and not present in the NES version, either.

Looking at FFIV as well, I think Square just really hates the DS users. :v:

I did like FFIII DS though. A slight refreshment from the near impossible to lose VIII/X.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

The "death" of Cait Sith that is overly dramatic yet very quickly and anti-climatically undone is meant to contrast with the sudden, and quite permanent death that happens later.

Yeah pretty much this. That and I think it was a sort of subtle in joke toward RPG's of that time which had a tendency to "kill" characters only for them to return later.

The problem was that Cait Sith was a very underdeveloped character in VII. Even Yuffie had a better character development.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

WMain00 posted:

Yeah pretty much this. That and I think it was a sort of subtle in joke toward RPG's of that time which had a tendency to "kill" characters only for them to return later.

The problem was that Cait Sith was a very underdeveloped character in VII. Even Yuffie had a better character development.

Remember all the "get Aeris back" rumors? If it was a joke, it fell on its face.

I do agree that Yuffie had more character development, but you don't find out who Cait Sith really is until so far into the game that you can't really develop Reeve much.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Speaking of which anyway, is the recently released PC version of FFVII worth the download? It saves me having to look for the discs and dust out my PS.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

WMain00 posted:

Speaking of which anyway, is the recently released PC version of FFVII worth the download? It saves me having to look for the discs and dust out my PS.

This has the differences

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII/Version_Differences

So it's supposed to look slightly better, but also FF7 on PC has a lot of mods if you're into that.

If you have a PS3, Vita, PSP you can play it on those.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

WMain00 posted:

Not really. Do you have a PSP?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I used to. I've no idea where it is nowadays.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Get the old FF VII PC and mod the poo poo out of it, or dust off the old PSX. The initial release is still the best version of the game. I wish they'd do something significant with it, because it deserves the attention and it'd be a huge money maker.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Looking at FFIV as well, I think Square just really hates the DS users. :v:

The World Ends With You invalidates that hypothesis.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I have a friend who absolutely despises anime games, RPGs, and Final Fantasy. He basically plays nothing but Madden, NBA Live, MLB The Show, and Call of Duty.

Except for Final Fantasy III DS. He loves it and still keeps his DS around to play it.

I just thought i would share that with all of you. Well bye!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I have a friend who absolutely despises anime games, RPGs, and Final Fantasy. He basically plays nothing but Madden, NBA Live, MLB The Show, and Call of Duty.

Except for Final Fantasy III DS. He loves it and still keeps his DS around to play it.

I just thought i would share that with all of you. Well bye!

That is pretty odd... I assume he's got a big ol' nostalgia boner for it?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

voltron lion force posted:

That is pretty odd... I assume he's got a big ol' nostalgia boner for it?

I don't see how unless his friend grew up in Japan in the 80s.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The White Dragon posted:

I don't see how unless his friend grew up in Japan in the 80s.

I meant the ds version. 7 years is enough to be nostalgic for something right? *feels old*

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Are any of the NES-era FFs actually good games? (Apart from 2 of course. loving love that game. Possibly because everyone always said it was total poo poo)

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

NikkolasKing posted:

Are any of the NES-era FFs actually good games? (Apart from 2 of course. loving love that game. Possibly because everyone always said it was total poo poo)

Uh, the other two are good games. Though if you enjoyed II then you're probably broken inside anyway and might not like them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Moldy Taxes posted:

Been considering trying to run through the FF3 remake again, but I'm wondering whether the mobile or PSP version is considered definitive? Or are they both equal in terms of content?

Play something else. All versions of FF3 are terrible.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

FF3 is fantastic, and has one of my favorite boss themes in the series. It's simple, which is a tough adjustment, but miles ahead of 1 and 2. However, even with upgraded graphics, it plays like an NES RPG. Might as well play the original, it's easier.

FF1 was far better than FF3's clusterfuck of a game (FF3's music is better I'll give that). Having the first Job system doesn't excuse how bad it is and even the classless setup of FF2 worked out better because it was impossible to end up with a terrible and useless setup even if you skipped items like the Blood Sword and never leveled any status effects or buffs.

Even the FF2 remake is better than any version of FF3, and the original NES FF2 had a bug that trivialized leveling your spells and skills so while the game was terrible it was terrible in your favor; the exact opposite of FF3.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Even the FF2 remake is better than any version of FF3, and the original NES FF2 had a bug that trivialized leveling your spells and skills so while the game was terrible it was terrible in your favor; the exact opposite of FF3.

The bug in question is a pain in the rear end to pull off (at least in a way as to get noticeable results); in the remakes (at least GBA and later) your spells level up faster anyway (at least, before it plateaus)

You know, I can acknowledge that FF3 is a failed clusterfuck of bad design choices (and not even funny bad design like FF2) but I can't bring myself to hate it. I guess because it's charmingly ambitious for an NES RPG. Also, kick-rear end music.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 3, 2013

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I feel about FF2 the way Camel Pimp feels about FF3 - an enjoyable if not particularly good game with great music. Sure it might not have worked well but I really like the concept behind the battle system. Your strength isn't going to go up unless you use physical attacks and your magic isn't going to go up unless you use magic. The greatest failing of this system is of course that you need to be damaged to level up your HP. And Maria starts in the back row. So you either have to move her to the frotn row quick or abuse yourself to gain HP.

Now I believe there's also a stat penalty for equipping certain weapons or armors? I've never really been sure if that was a NES only thing or if it was in the remakes as well. If it was in the Dawn of Souls version I almost beat, I never noticed it. Still, if tht is a thing, it's pretty dumb because I'm pretty sure it never mentioned that when I put the stuff on my characters.

And I absolutely love the music in the game. Best normal battle theme in the series IMO. Plus gotta love the dungeon themes.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

NikkolasKing posted:

I feel about FF2 the way Camel Pimp feels about FF3 - an enjoyable if not particularly good game with great music. Sure it might not have worked well but I really like the concept behind the battle system. Your strength isn't going to go up unless you use physical attacks and your magic isn't going to go up unless you use magic. The greatest failing of this system is of course that you need to be damaged to level up your HP. And Maria starts in the back row. So you either have to move her to the frotn row quick or abuse yourself to gain HP.

Now I believe there's also a stat penalty for equipping certain weapons or armors? I've never really been sure if that was a NES only thing or if it was in the remakes as well. If it was in the Dawn of Souls version I almost beat, I never noticed it. Still, if tht is a thing, it's pretty dumb because I'm pretty sure it never mentioned that when I put the stuff on my characters.

And I absolutely love the music in the game. Best normal battle theme in the series IMO. Plus gotta love the dungeon themes.

If you're playing the remake, HP goes up in regular intervals anyway. But, yes, there are invisible intelligence/soul penalties attached to the weapons and armor in the game. Light armor, knives, and staves have low to zero magic penalty, and everything else kills the poo poo out of your spell-casting power. Including loving Bows, because that makes sense. Yeah, they took that out of the remakes.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Camel Pimp posted:

If you're playing the remake, HP goes up in regular intervals anyway. But, yes, there are invisible intelligence/soul penalties attached to the weapons and armor in the game. Light armor, knives, and staves have low to zero magic penalty, and everything else kills the poo poo out of your spell-casting power. Including loving Bows, because that makes sense. Yeah, they took that out of the remakes.

Magic penalties were actually only removed from weapons and shields. They're still on everything else and even ignoring that you want to avoid putting armor on because of the agility penalties.

FF2 is a game where by and large you get weaker the more clothes you put on.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Every once in a while, I think, "Since I know how to abuse the system and enjoy watching numbers go up, maybe this time I'll enjoy Final Fantasy 2."

Then I rediscover that the problem with FF2 isn't the brokenness of all the mechanics, but the terrible dungeon design. Here are three doors. One of them leads to treasure and/or progress. All the others put you in the center of a featureless square room where every step triggers an encounters. Have fun!

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Good news if you have an Android device. Final Fantasy IV is now available on the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.FFIV_GP

It won't work if you have root. Its the 3D (DS?) version. I would have liked to see the extra stories like on the Wii and PSP versions.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Weird, when I first switched to my Nexus 4 FF:D was basically unplayable for me. I had to press super hard on the screen to get touches to register, which made boss fights almost impossible and made the game nothing but a grind.

I fired it up for shits and giggles last night and it plays like normal again. There hasn't been an update to the game or to Android :confused:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Good news if you have an Android device. Final Fantasy IV is now available on the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.FFIV_GP

It won't work if you have root. Its the 3D (DS?) version. I would have liked to see the extra stories like on the Wii and PSP versions.

Well in terms of porting their choice was either the bad remake of the game or the terrible expansion for the game. I'm miffed too because I'd rather have bad bonus content then bad game mechanics but SE seems pretty convinced its all about the graphics.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

Well in terms of porting their choice was either the bad remake of the game or the terrible expansion for the game. I'm miffed too because I'd rather have bad bonus content then bad game mechanics but SE seems pretty convinced its all about the graphics.

If they ported the PSP version, which includes the original game, The After Years, and an interlude chapter, then it's not like you're forced to play the new stuff. You could just play a prettier version of the original game, rather than some romhack hard mode bullshit from the DS version.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

If they ported the PSP version, which includes the original game, The After Years, and an interlude chapter, then it's not like you're forced to play the new stuff. You could just play a prettier version of the original game, rather than some romhack hard mode bullshit from the DS version.

Exactly. The DS version there is no avoiding the poo poo redesign to the core mechanics. at least with After Years I can ignore the fact it murdered the FF1 and FF6 planets.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Barudak posted:

Exactly. The DS version there is no avoiding the poo poo redesign to the core mechanics. at least with After Years I can ignore the fact it murdered the FF1 and FF6 planets.

Wait really? People are actually mad about that?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah not really. I just found it amusing that the terrible and uncreative boss contextually destroyed those worlds. If the plot and gameply of After Years had been any good I don't think the thought would have crossed my mind as anything less than "Awesome, I get to fight these bosses again."

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I'm not so much mad as disappointed in After Years. The writing is absolutely terrible. It's kinda fun from a gameplay perspective (so long as you don't make yourself grind for rare drops, because apparently that was an awesome thing that needed to come back from the original FF4), but it's really for the best to just shut your brain off when it comes to the plot.

I understand Dimensions was made by the same team and is much the same way. Still need to upgrade my three year old phone to actually be able to play it for myself, though.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's the internet.

Of course people are mad about it.

(And for good reason, I mean was that bullshit really necessary? "Hey guys remember the other decent FF games? Their worlds are now destroyed for absolutely no reason whatsoever in this cancerous growth of a sequel!")

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sorry the DS version of FFIV is superior in every way. :colbert:

It has a million times more interesting game-play, and the augment system is only a "problem" if you're metagaming based off knowing the plot already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Grinnblade posted:

It's the internet.

Of course people are mad about it.

(And for good reason, I mean was that bullshit really necessary? "Hey guys remember the other decent FF games? Their worlds are now destroyed for absolutely no reason whatsoever in this cancerous growth of a sequel!")

The Only dumb thing is that apparently the FF4 team is the one group of FF heroes that could beat the bad guy.

Like seriously, okay I can see maybe the 6 guys losing what with all the magic being kind of hosed where they're at, but how the hell did Bartz and his 3 Princess Murder machine lose?