Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I've been using Mailbox for a few weeks, and my ambivalence about having a MITM between me and Gmail aside, it's been working pretty well. However, in the last 24 hours, I've noticed emails come into my account that are immediately being marked as read. I don't know if this is Mailbox to blame, or the latest Gmail update, but I'm very suspicious of Mailbox at this point. Anyone else experienced this?

I should note that I'm basically certain no access to this account is unaccounted for - I've got this Gmail account's access pretty well locked down with a strong, unique password and 2FA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I haven't noticed anything of the sort, been using Mailbox since it launched pretty much. I'd check your Gmail filters or anything you've changed recently.

I should note that the Gmail update hasn't rolled out to me yet, since I'm a Google Apps user.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

DarkJC posted:

I should note that the Gmail update hasn't rolled out to me yet, since I'm a Google Apps user.

You're not missing much, anyway. It's horrid if you care at all about "inbox zero" or using keyboard shortcuts. I tried it out for 5 minutes and promptly reverted.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Wifi lock for your door that works with your phone.

http://www.august.com/

Looks...interesting.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

I must be stupid...but is there a way to keep the Gmail app from automatically fetching email? I want it to work like the native mail app and only download email when I'm in the app and force a refresh.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
You can turn off push notifications for the Gmail app in Settings > Notifications.

Note that it's not actually automatically downloading the emails -- the notifications are lightweight and are being sent from their push notification server. The app only downloads the new mail when you open it.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

I didn't know that - thanks!

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

Wifi lock for your door that works with your phone.

http://www.august.com/

Looks...interesting.

There have been similar locks on the market for a while now. Been wanting to pick one up but really can't justify the purchase.

Would be nice for someone with a vacation home or rental and such, but for my wife and I, it would be just another expensive gimmick to show off and really has no practical purpose.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 1, 2013

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

empty baggie posted:

There have been similar locks on the market for a while now. Been wanting to pick one up but really can't justify the purchase.

Would be nice for someone with a vacation home or rental and such, but for my wife and I, it would be just another expensive gimmick to show off and really has no practical purpose.

Which one is actually out? The only other one I know like this is Lockitron but it isn't shipping yet.

rzeszowianin 44
Feb 21, 2006

Karthe posted:

One of our VP's wants to access internal network resources (Office docs, mainly) on his iPad over VPN while out in the field. What's a good app for this? He'll settle for read-only viewing, but being able to edit as well would be icing on the cake.

DarkJC posted:

GoodReader can access network shares, although I've never personally used it for that so I can't speak to how well it works. I'd start by checking that out though.

vvv Agreed. It works great within an hour, but the farther out you go I doubt it's really that useful.

Goodreader can access Dropbox shares as well.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Are there any good voice-to-text dictation apps that work offline and are good for long-form writing? I write short stories in my free time and I wanted to try dictation to speed up the process or do it on the go. I would try Dragon Dictation, but I'm on vacation and have no phone or WiFi service.

Quoting myself because I finally got to try Dragon Dictation, and it is complete balls for my purposes. Just as one of the comments warned, it cuts off recording constantly to process and when it does, you have to restart dictation manually. That means using it for anything more than short emails or notes is out. Also, if you close the app for any reason, you lose everything you've recorded.

So are there any apps suited for long-form voice-to-text dictation? I don't even care if they're online-only or pay-only, I just want something I can dictate prose to in the car without having to babysit every 30 seconds.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

A peak at the flatter design changes: https://twitter.com/yuize/status/341575939509071873/photo/1

How far they are taken is the question.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I saw the app screen shots earlier today and was wondering when the blogs would pick up on it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Dave posted:

A peak at the flatter design changes: https://twitter.com/yuize/status/341575939509071873/photo/1

How far they are taken is the question.

I love the direction they are going in. That flatter look is so much cleaner and fits so much better with the actual look of the products.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

My first impression when playing around with the app is that it looks like the iOS 6 Music app, but better. I hope that all the built-in apps end up looking like this, but with some more color variety rather than everything being predominantly white.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My main hope is more controls clustered at the bottom of the screen. One handed use is pretty bad with the tallphone and if the next generation changes dimensions again, it's only going to get worse.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The biggest news out of the WWDC app: Bill Nye.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zombie Samurai posted:

Quoting myself because I finally got to try Dragon Dictation, and it is complete balls for my purposes. Just as one of the comments warned, it cuts off recording constantly to process and when it does, you have to restart dictation manually. That means using it for anything more than short emails or notes is out. Also, if you close the app for any reason, you lose everything you've recorded.

So are there any apps suited for long-form voice-to-text dictation? I don't even care if they're online-only or pay-only, I just want something I can dictate prose to in the car without having to babysit every 30 seconds.
Use one of the voice recording apps (maybe even the stock one) and then upload it to http://speechtotextservice.com/ or a similar service?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I got this speech jammer app for kicks. It turns me into a stuttering mess.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speech-jammer/id597426372?mt=8

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Feedly announced that they're rolling out support to a bunch of apps, including the oft-recommended Reeder, and my personal favorite, Newsify. Feedly's App is pretty good, but I will probably switch back to Newsify. I loved that app.

More details (plus the top features on their roadmap) here: http://blog.feedly.com/2013/06/04/feedly-is-listening-the-roadmap-you-helped-us-shape/

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
What's a good app for cataloging collections?

Example: I own a decent amount of DVDs and Blu-Rays, and would like to be able to pull up a list on my iPhone when I'm at a store, because I can't remember if I have Captain Ron on DVD or not. I'd love if I could find similar apps for vinyl records, comic books, or other goony interests.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Red posted:

What's a good app for cataloging collections?

Example: I own a decent amount of DVDs and Blu-Rays, and would like to be able to pull up a list on my iPhone when I'm at a store, because I can't remember if I have Captain Ron on DVD or not. I'd love if I could find similar apps for vinyl records, comic books, or other goony interests.

Well, there's this- it's an OSX app with an iOS counterpart.

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/04/25/delicious-monster-releases-delicious-library-3-with-companion-io/

My dad uses this to keep track of books he's picked up at the library, and likes it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

suboptimal posted:

Well, there's this- it's an OSX app with an iOS counterpart.

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/04/25/delicious-monster-releases-delicious-library-3-with-companion-io/

My dad uses this to keep track of books he's picked up at the library, and likes it.

Eep. $25.

The scanner function is pretty awesome, though.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
So is there a way to revert gmail back to the old inbox? This new style is awful, I can't get any notifications, even when I have multiple emails in each category. Seems like if you keep it on one category with no new emails, exit the app, then get new emails in another category, there won't be a badge. About to revert to the stock app.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

So is there a way to revert gmail back to the old inbox? This new style is awful, I can't get any notifications, even when I have multiple emails in each category. Seems like if you keep it on one category with no new emails, exit the app, then get new emails in another category, there won't be a badge. About to revert to the stock app.

There is a setting to get notifications for all categories or just the primary one.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

withak posted:

There is a setting to get notifications for all categories or just the primary one.

Its already set to that.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
You can turn the categories off by going into your web portal for gmail and clicking on the gear and then selecting Configure Inbox.

Just uncheck everything but primary. I believe it propagates to the app, or at least it does in android.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Has anyone tried the password manager Dashlane? I just read an article promoting it in the NYT and it looks pretty cool. It's also free.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

rotaryfun posted:

You can turn the categories off by going into your web portal for gmail and clicking on the gear and then selecting Configure Inbox.

Just uncheck everything but primary. I believe it propagates to the app, or at least it does in android.

Yeah, that worked, thanks.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

keevo posted:

Has anyone tried the password manager Dashlane? I just read an article promoting it in the NYT and it looks pretty cool. It's also free.

Just giving it a shot now but I'm really liking the UI and synchronization between iOS and desktop

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Does anyone have a favorite Jabber client for iPhone? I need to be able to link to a private network and participate in group chats. IM+ and imo do not do that so far.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Do any of the popular Twitter apps offer some form of tabbed browsing? What I'd like to do is group people I follow/hashtags by subject matter and be able to tab between subjects checking for updates. A universal app with iCloud syncing of last read would be ideal, but it's not a dealbreaker.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

taco show posted:

Does anyone have a favorite Jabber client for iPhone? I need to be able to link to a private network and participate in group chats. IM+ and imo do not do that so far.

Monal is pretty good.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
The Apple blogs are all going crazy about Vesper, a new notes app by Dave Wiskus, Brent Simmons, and John Gruber.

It's actually really clean and well-designed. It won't replace Evernote, but it looks great for taking quick notes.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I don't see the big deal aside from the big names. Yeah they're popular guys but honestly there's so many other quick note taking apps there's not much that sets this one apart.

The guy in that MacStories review has multiple levels of note taking apps in use, which seems crazy to me.

I'm sure they'll add a majority of the missing features from the 1.0 (syncing being a major one) but $5 is a big price to pay for yet another notes app. Feels like you're paying for the names here more than anything else, and I'm sure they'll sell a boatload from Daring Fireball exposure alone.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 6, 2013

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Seems crazy because it is crazy.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Anyone have a suggestion for a decent and simple VPN server/client? I tried using the built in PPTP server on my Windows 7 box, but I couldn't get my phone (or anything) to connect to it. I tried OpenVPN but that turned out to be way to complicated. I could probably figure either of these out if I put some time into it, but I'd rather just use something that just works the first time because this isn't that important and I'm incredibly lazy.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

My company uses Cisco AnyConnect for our iPad VPN which is free, simple, and works.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Pretty sure you have to have that license purchased and installed on the router/firewall before you can use it though. Like any Cisco product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Yeah, my company uses Juniper's Pulse. The apps for those are free but the "servers" require thousands or tens of thousands of dollars worth of hardware and software.

• Locked thread