Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Oh man I love wigs. These are all recent purchases (not my pictures):

As well as these, all from Super Black Lacquers, run by Natalie Dee, author of Stuff I Put On Myself among other things, and wife of Drew Toothpaste or whatever his name is.

The Whale

Purdy

Lombard

Edit: derp spelling

MY PALE GOTH SKIN has a new favorite as of 02:15 on Jun 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Fabulist posted:

As well as these, all from Super Black Laqcuers, run by Natalie Dee, author of Stuff I Put On Myself among other things, and wife of Drew Toothpaste or whatever his name is.

The Whale

Purdy

Lombard

I've been meaning to get a couple Super Black polishes myself -- Purdy is one of them, as well as Bazillions (I'm kind of bummed she changed it from 'Son of Space Ghost' for some reason.) Too many nail polishes in this world for me to buy. :byodame:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Miss Kalle posted:

(only got the Joseph stockings, the Caesar ones will more than likely be bought at a later date)

Wait wait wait. Are those Jojo's Bizarre Adventure branded women's stockings?

I knew the series was popular with women but I had no idea.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

(Not my picture, clearly.)

First batch of the bottle version of Switchback Roasted Red, my favorite of their varieties.

Nereid
Sep 17, 2009

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

DrBouvenstein posted:

(Not my picture, clearly.)

First batch of the bottle version of Switchback Roasted Red, my favorite of their varieties.

I hate you so much. :( How much would I have to bribe you to send me all the Vermont beer?

Content: I bought some excellent English Toffee from Trader Joe's.

carnivaljunkie
Apr 7, 2006

What's it like in funny little brains? It must be so boring.

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

Nope, not from Amsterdam, from Sheffield!
Me and my friend are flying out for a few days to see them play. It's not worked out too expensive actually, £170 for flights, three nights in a hotel, and gig tickets.

I am jealous of you on so many different levels right now.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Miss Kalle posted:

I've been meaning to get a couple Super Black polishes myself -- Purdy is one of them, as well as Bazillions (I'm kind of bummed she changed it from 'Son of Space Ghost' for some reason.) Too many nail polishes in this world for me to buy. :byodame:

She changed it because an indie makeup company owner is going around under a different name and harassing sites that do 'illegal' things, like use copyright material in their product names. Even though not one other person who buys, sells, or makes indie gives a poo poo, and neither do the holders of the copyright material. Suing a bunch of ladies who make cosmetics in their spare time isn't lucrative. That particular company owner seems to subscribe to the 'make my business look better by making others look worse' type of business. Instead of, you know, making decent products.

Anyway yeah that's why, and you should definitely grab some Super Black when you can. I've tried the solids and the holos, and they're both amazing and long lasting without topcoat, nevermind with. I did my nails on Tuesday and the two chips I have are due to my nails being weak as hell.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Lego Superman :woop: General Zod is such a freaking badass figure with his black cape and black suit & grey armor.

Mother fuckin lego shark aaaaaah :coolfish:

The surfer rescue set got me enough points to snag the superman set at 5$ and I ended up buying two minifigs and got the two I wanted (Roman it's actually Rory Williams and I won't hear otherwise and the skydiver). I also got a free Lego version poster for Iron Man 3, it's so rad.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

New running shoes from a local running store. The guy who helped me pick them out really knew what he was doing. I feel like I'm running on air, and my form went from good to great.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Borrowed my friends PS3 and bought this

Grid 2 was a disappointment for me. This should be better.

Latitude Ocotpus
Nov 17, 2009
A new desk and chair for my bedroom now I've graduated from uni. £30 each from asda

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I have some psychological issues which don't respond well to medication, and one of the alternative things we're trying is light therapy. I tend to hermit in dark rooms a lot, so I just got one of these.

So far I'm very impressed. The build quality is great and when I had a weird problem with the charging process, I called their support line and got an immediate fix. It's got a two-hour battery in it and the timer defaults to half-hour sessions, so theoretically I can take it somewhere and use it for a few days even if I forget the charger. It generates no heat to speak of, so I can put it pretty much anywhere, and it's very directional so it doesn't annoy my wife if I use it around her.

It's not helping a lot with the brain problems, but I've been using it for about a week now and for the first time in a very, very long time I'm managing to stay on a daylight schedule reliably. This is a really big deal for me, and may make it possible to make it to things like CBT sessions which were very difficult to do before.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Just bought a house!
Well, I bought it a week ago, but haven't had internet to share the news.

Here's my brother taking a picture of his trailer, for some reason.

Some nice laminate wood flooring.
Not sure what I'm going to do with this room yet.

Fairly nice kitchen that I'll probably update in 5 years or so.

Nice Trex deck and decent sized backyard.
Plenty of room for a garden.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Heresiarch posted:

I have some psychological issues which don't respond well to medication, and one of the alternative things we're trying is light therapy. I tend to hermit in dark rooms a lot, so I just got one of these.

So far I'm very impressed. The build quality is great and when I had a weird problem with the charging process, I called their support line and got an immediate fix. It's got a two-hour battery in it and the timer defaults to half-hour sessions, so theoretically I can take it somewhere and use it for a few days even if I forget the charger. It generates no heat to speak of, so I can put it pretty much anywhere, and it's very directional so it doesn't annoy my wife if I use it around her.

It's not helping a lot with the brain problems, but I've been using it for about a week now and for the first time in a very, very long time I'm managing to stay on a daylight schedule reliably. This is a really big deal for me, and may make it possible to make it to things like CBT sessions which were very difficult to do before.

I'm confused, it's a light that can make you feel good? I've never heard of this before, is that really possible? :psyduck:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
It's generally used as a depression treatment when people's lives require them to be inside nearly all of the day or when the skies are more overcast like the wintertime. Supposedly the lack of sunlight can have negative effects on people and simulating it can help reverse that.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

KimT posted:

I'm confused, it's a light that can make you feel good? I've never heard of this before, is that really possible? :psyduck:

Yes, light therapy is a real thing. It's primarily used to treat seasonal affective disorder, is sometimes useful for other sorts of depression, and can have a quite dramatic effect on one's circadian rhythm.

The guys who make these devices obviously oversell this sort of thing quite a bit, but depending on the person light therapy can be very helpful. In my case, we were hoping that it might help with some psychological issues, but at the very least it's helping me maintain a daylight schedule.

rds
Nov 28, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

Yes, light therapy is a real thing. It's primarily used to treat seasonal affective disorder, is sometimes useful for other sorts of depression, and can have a quite dramatic effect on one's circadian rhythm.

The guys who make these devices obviously oversell this sort of thing quite a bit, but depending on the person light therapy can be very helpful. In my case, we were hoping that it might help with some psychological issues, but at the very least it's helping me maintain a daylight schedule.

I took up light therapy with one of the UV lights you can get on Amazon for the winters a few years back, and it's been a major boon to treating my SAD (I have clinical depression on top of it, so it gets bad). Like you mentioned, I didn't really notice a huge change to my thought processes, but I certainly had enough energy to keep a productive schedule throughout the darker months.

This is the one I have.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
How exactly do you guys use those things?

Simply use it in the morning or do you have it on all day at work or something like that? How do you know how long/when you're supposed to use it for?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

KingColliwog posted:

How exactly do you guys use those things?

Simply use it in the morning or do you have it on all day at work or something like that? How do you know how long/when you're supposed to use it for?

Generally it's a thirty-minute session when you get up if you're trying to treat SAD or other mood and energy problems, or at some other time of day if you're trying to alter an existing sleep schedule. The guys who make mine advertise it for use by people with highly variable work schedules or who fly to different time zones a lot, because you can use it to adjust your sleeping patterns faster than you might otherwise.

Mine has timer settings for 15, 30, 45, and 60 minutes. The half-hour setting is the default and it's what is usually prescribed by doctors; my doc had no idea if this was going to help or not so we're just sort of winging it.

You can read the manual for my lamp here, and it goes into some detail about how it's supposed to be used. Again, it oversells its effectiveness but there's nothing in it that's actually wrong. It's not alt-med woo bullshit or something.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

A lot of people have had some relief using aromatherapy. Smelling something nice can definitely lift your mood. There are even specific scents or essential oils for depression. Maybe it smells like hookers, cocaine, and money.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

For the girlfriend.

God I love amazon prime.

vannevar
Jan 27, 2013

The war goes on.

Bought the Horus Heresy Weekender program on eBay for way too much money because it has a short story in it by John French. And I love John French.
Nerd poo poo, basically.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

For the girlfriend.

God I love amazon prime.

I had to do a double take. I was expecting this to be a post from Morally Inept.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

SaltLick posted:

They had a Y-Wing a while ago and I really really want it, but it costs a bit now that it is out of production.

My brother has the B-Wing, SSD, and the X-Wing and they are all awesome.

I talked to a dude at the Lego Store about these things and he said that the Lego company is well aware of the resale market on the collectors stuff. They've brought back those types of things before though because you have kids who save up and then the thing gets discontinued and see that some rear end in a top hat wants 4x the cost online and he just gets mad and never buys it. They'll bring back the Y-Wing in large scale sometime. I'm holding out for an A-Wing though.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

For the girlfriend.

God I love amazon prime.

I hope you take the actual pills out and fill it with some of her favorite candy.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nope. That'd be dumb. :colbert:

Dollar bills instead. Been saving my change up.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Source Stream sandals. $80 including postage:

My 15+ year old sandals are starting to fall apart, and according to my shoemaker, are unrepairable. Everything sold in local shops looked like cheap, uncomfortable made in PRC junk. Luckily I remembered that the same company which made my excellent backpack produces also sandals, so I thought to try one of their models out.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Daric posted:

It's really loving good. I got some today too. Luckily I live in god's country and just drove to the closest HEB and picked it up. Also got some sushi. HEB sushi is delicious.

I often hate to be That Guy, but there's no way grocery store sushi in Texas is anything close to "delicious".

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

&

ToastyNark
Oct 23, 2002

Rape drugs work on everyone.

Needs a PTO and a winch and some cosmetic work on the inside, but aside from that it's ready to kick rear end; I'm pretty excited to go to the DMV!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

ToastyNark posted:

Needs a PTO and a winch and some cosmetic work on the inside, but aside from that it's ready to kick rear end; I'm pretty excited to go to the DMV!

Oh my god that is so awesome, I'm an old truck guy myself and you should post that in the "Post Your Own Ride" thread in AI.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

ASOS has (had?) a sale, 44.40€.

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013
New perfume!

New shoes!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

That sole looks out of proportion O__o

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ToastyNark posted:

My dad has one he restored and it is seriously amazing. I swear if any car could drive up a telephone pole...

Congrats on the pretty purchase!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
A new 4x10 cab for playing bass with my new band. Woo.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, I got this:

(Logitech UE Mobile Boombox)

for $75 through Verizon. Surprisingly good sound for something so small, and it's nice to use for music while cooking, showering, or... I guess those are the only two rooms in my apartment without speakers already. Having something with 10 hour battery life that's totally wireless is pretty cool too, and the speakerphone is also quite functional.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Glottis posted:

for $75 through Verizon. Surprisingly good sound for something so small, and it's nice to use for music while cooking, showering, or... I guess those are the only two rooms in my apartment without speakers already. Having something with 10 hour battery life that's totally wireless is pretty cool too, and the speakerphone is also quite functional.

Do you just play music from your phone?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Yes. It only recently became a viable option because I got a battery for my phone that lasts for 2 days of very heavy use, and Google Music is pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Glottis posted:

That looks pretty neat and something I may have to pick it up soonish. A shower beer just isn't the same unless you have some :krad: tunes as well.

• Locked thread