Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

Cicero posted:

C# and VB.NET are the same language?

Almost. The semantics are nearly identical.

From .NET 4.0 onward you can literally throw C# or VB.NET code into a converter and get the other to pop out, drat near one-to-one.

I prefer curly braces but ENDIF won't kill me. I need to learn another syntax sometime anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I still don't have a combined year of ExperienceAtAWorkPlace, though. Is the market there that hot?

I don't live there so I have no idea! But my point was don't let location hold you back from applying to a job that is appealing to you. I got a job with relocation fresh out of college. And when I applied to my current job they told me they would give priority to local applicants (which I was not), and they ended up hiring and relocating me anyways.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Welp, next paycheck it's time to begin a rewarding relationship with that resume guy, isn't it?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Any big tech company will pay for relocation even for new college grads. Some others will too, probably; the general rule is probably that the more they pay devs, the more likely they're fine with flying you out for interviews and paying for relocation costs.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Cicero posted:

Any big tech company will pay for relocation even for new college grads. Some others will too, probably; the general rule is probably that the more they pay devs, the more likely they're fine with flying you out for interviews and paying for relocation costs.

But I'm not a grad yet. I'm an almost grad with a little experience who caught a case of burnout, sick family and "I just want to work already goddamn it I'm almost 30."

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

2banks1swap.avi posted:

But I'm not a grad yet. I'm an almost grad with a little experience who caught a case of burnout, sick family and "I just want to work already goddamn it I'm almost 30."
Well my point was that limited experience isn't a dealbreaker if they still think you're worth hiring.

edit: Also I think it's commendable that you want to work two jobs to pay off debt quickly and help your folks.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Cicero posted:

Well my point was that limited experience isn't a dealbreaker if they still think you're worth hiring.

edit: Also I think it's commendable that you want to work two jobs to pay off debt quickly and help your folks.

It's only 16K. I'm just pissed that 2K of that is already 4K because of 13% INTEREST gently caress YOU CHASE

What sucks is that my current boss is all "oh finish school..." but he's probably using that to keep me part-time.

See the .NET thread for other shenanigans. Looks like this is my first test of ethics in the workplace!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The IT consulting job I landed is actively making me unlearn coding, which I hate, I've been trying to land a junior or level entry position somewhere else but seems everyone wants at least one or two years of experience from the get go with various development frameworks; I'm honestly considering just straight up lying.

gently caress accenture, basically

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

evensevenone posted:

Even at 90k, after tax you're at about 5k/mo, which makes a $2500/mo 1br a bit of a stretch.

In the rest of the world you could be buying houses. And boats.
Yep. This is why I won't live in SF. $2500/month here in the midwest would get you a 2500 square foot house with a yard.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Honest Thief posted:

The IT consulting job I landed is actively making me unlearn coding, which I hate, I've been trying to land a junior or level entry position somewhere else but seems everyone wants at least one or two years of experience from the get go with various development frameworks; I'm honestly considering just straight up lying.

gently caress accenture, basically

Yes, definitely lie, that will go over well. No one has ever lied in an interview and been called out on it before.

Why don't you actually go and learn some of the things you're considering lying about so you don't waste people's time? I loving hated interviewing people who were clearly full of poo poo.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Ithaqua posted:

Yes, definitely lie, that will go over well. No one has ever lied in an interview and been called out on it before.

Why don't you actually go and learn some of the things you're considering lying about so you don't waste people's time? I loving hated interviewing people who were clearly full of poo poo.
At the current project where I'm at won't be able to, my masters already got hosed due to it, and the company seems more interested in wanting me to learn CRM platforms than my actual interests; so the decision now is whether or not to bail out without any other job landed and learn then through some post-grad or what.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Honest Thief posted:

At the current project where I'm at won't be able to, my masters already got hosed due to it, and the company seems more interested in wanting me to learn CRM platforms than my actual interests; so the decision now is whether or not to bail out without any other job landed and learn then through some post-grad or what.

He's not talking about going back to school. Learn stuff on the side and build up a nice github portfolio.

But yeah, lying on your resume is dumb and anyone interviewing you is going to see that you are full of poo poo within minutes.

edit:
Also, Accenture is loving huge so you could always just tell your boss you aren't happy with your project and ask to get put on something else that interests you.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
If you're already considering lying, you could just build up a not-so-nice Github portfolio, where you get some shallow experience with whatever tools you were going to lie about. That way you won't be lying, and it'll probably make it harder to detect your bullshit, too.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Getting stuff done on the side has been wack, this whole corporate culture of doing your job and staying at the workplace after-hours because staying late shows commitment is wack.

astr0man posted:

edit:
Also, Accenture is loving huge so you could always just tell your boss you aren't happy with your project and ask to get put on something else that interests you.
Done that already, last thing he said was "I'll look into it, don't you worry" two months ago and then not even the least bit of feedback.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
So keep telling him until he does something about it?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Honest Thief posted:

Getting stuff done on the side has been wack, this whole corporate culture of doing your job and staying at the workplace after-hours because staying late shows commitment is wack.

Done that already, last thing he said was "I'll look into it, don't you worry" two months ago and then not even the least bit of feedback.

Don't become a professional software developer if you don't want to continually learn new tools and techniques for fun on your own.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

Honest Thief posted:

Why are you staying late to show commitment to a job you don't want anyway?

Can you stop staying late and go home to learn stuff on the side?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Safe and Secure! posted:

Yeah, it's not like other companies you'll be applying to will know whether you've been staying late at your current job. As long as you're doing enough to not get fired you should be fine?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

SFO is the airport FYI. Don't say you want to work in SFO when you talk to people there. They will give you funny looks.

kitten smoothie posted:

Yep. This is why I won't live in SF. $2500/month here in the midwest would get you a 2500 square foot house with a yard.

I mean, you know why you can do that in the midwest right? Living in places that are in high demand ain't cheap. May as well not consider any other major tech city then. Maybe Austin/Portland/Seattle are more affordable? Not sure exactly, but SF, LA, NYC, BOS ain't cheap.

Won't deny SF is probably too expensive though. The most expensive now over NYC.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I'm confused. Are you saying you don't want the job you have but you don't have the skills for the jobs you do want so instead of getting those skills you want to lie about having them because instead of spending your off-time learning those skills you work late to show commitment to the job you don't want?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Ithaqua posted:

Don't become a professional software developer if you don't want to continually learn new tools and techniques for fun on your own.

Yeah, unfortunately it's one of those things that nobody tells you upfront, but that's really true. If you want to make it anywhere as an individual contributor you pretty much have to spend an extra 4-5 hours a day at home working on stuff that's beyond what you do at work, since the vast majority of jobs out there (that pay) are awful enteprise CRUD factories. That or you can be like a LOT of people in BigCorp and shoot for a management non-technical position as soon as humanly possible so that you don't have to deal with the nitty gritty details anymore and can wallow in middle management for a couple of decades.

Like mentioned before a few pages ago, you can learn at work, but at first you'll most likely (unless you get lucky) need to take a considerable paycut for that kind of position of high responsibility and scope.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Ithaqua posted:

yeah I'm slowly realizing it, dunno where I stand yet but I guess I'll find out

Safe and Secure! posted:

It's more of a standard practice, people actually seem to take offense if you do your regular 9am to 19pm work hours, so you get peer pressure into doing so and I didn't want to leave in bad terms but I'm unmotivated to the point where I just don't care.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Honest Thief posted:

It's more of a standard practice, people actually seem to take offense if you do your regular 9am to 19pm work hours, so you get peer pressure into doing so and I didn't want to leave in bad terms but I'm unmotivated to the point where I just don't care.

I used to work for a big tech consulting firm. Yes, there's the culture where you need to put in all the extra time to climb the corporate ladder, but in reality no one cares as long as you are getting your poo poo done.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

Honest Thief posted:

yeah I'm slowly realizing it, dunno where I stand yet but I guess I'll find out

Jesus christ, 9am - 19pm is considered regular at Accenture?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

DreadCthulhu posted:

If you want to make it anywhere as an individual contributor you pretty much have to spend an extra 4-5 hours a day at home working on stuff that's beyond what you do at work

4-5 hours A DAY? I spend maybe that much time a week messing with non-work tech stuff and I do quite well staying up to date on new technologies. Do you not have hobbies?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

pr0zac posted:

4-5 hours A DAY? I spend maybe that much time a week messing with non-work tech stuff and I do quite well staying up to date on new technologies. Do you not have hobbies?

I did and I had to get rid of them to make space for this. It was pretty painful at first, but I always hated being worse than average at a dozen different things and with the years I learned to appreciate the importance of focus. I lift 3 times a week and do HIIT on non-lift days. I watch some Netflix while I'm eating. Have half a day with the wife once a week. That's about it that's not work-related, even though I stopped thinking of it as "work".

It's a conscious choice I made a while ago. I'm the only one who can set a proper technical direction at my startup and if I don't make up in knowledge and effort for at least 2-3 engineers (hopefully more one day), then we'll never achieve the vision that we have in mind. I figure that 5-10 years down the investment I'm making into myself will really pay some serious dividends. "Knowledge and productivity are like compound interest" (from here, I have that quote framed on my desk.)

One thing that happens once you spend a lot of time at something that you enjoy, is that you eventually kickstart this positive feedback loop of receiving immense pleasure from getting better at something and understanding things that you were completely oblivious about before. The more you do it, the harder the challenge, the bigger the kick you get out of it when you succeed. It's an addiction, but it's a good one when controlled.

Honestly, it's not that hard. Do you commute on a train somewhere? Pull out an iPad and start watching coursera lectures on a topic that's interesting and hopefully relevant to your work, or read a good technical book. That's 1-2 hours a day of absorbing more stuff that really adds up over the years.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 3, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Safe and Secure! posted:

When I was in the field consulting organization of a technology company, 9am-7pm wasn't out of the ordinary at all. Working 9-7 for two days in the middle of the week is just barely keeping your head above water utilization-wise, considering that at the beginning & end of the week you're likely wasting hours traveling to and from the client.

Obviously utilization was important in keeping your job, because when times were lean they would basically just rank on utilization and slice the bottom. Bonuses also usually hinge on your utilization, too. Where I was, at 80% utilization (which is to say, billing 32 hours a week every week) I got a 20% bonus relative to base salary. Over and above that, I got a per-hour cash bonus that basically amounted to an additional 10% bonus if I made 100% utilization. The per-hour bonus got even bigger for hours over 100%.

Our contracts stipulated that travel was not billable, which really screwed me on utilization. For one client, travel time was 8 hours door to door on an international trip, twice a week, every week.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
^^^ I hate how travel time is accepted as non-billable. I also usually had to book flight/hotel out of my own pocket and get reimbursed weeks after I got home.

Safe and Secure! posted:

Welcome to a corporate consulting firm. 9am - 7pm days with minimal-to-nil time invested working from home in the evenings/weekend will get you labelled as a not-in-the-game clock watcher, BTW. But the money can be very good. If you go this route make sure everyone you know is offended at the amount you take in each month, otherwise you're getting screwed.

I did it for a year (not at Accenture but basically their kid brother) and got pretty burnt out over it. In the years before that I had been through two separate startups that drove us hard and abruptly failed / ran out of money and got Really Weird. I'd still take the startup experiences over the consulting one again any day even though the compensation was incomparable.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 3, 2013

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Well, how good can the compensation be?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Consulting is miserable and you shouldn't ever do it unless you're obsessed with money or hate yourself.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

pr0zac posted:

I always figured that learning new technologies was the hobby. I do this stuff for a living because it's fun, and I find it even more fun to learn new things on my own time without a specific material goal in mind.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

To the lurkers and new kids, don't worry, you can be a good software developer and also have a life

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
That reminds me, I'm going to be looking for a job soon. When I got my internship, an IP assignment contract was included with the rest of the hiring forms for me to fill out, basically saying that I agree to give up the ownership of all intellectual property that I create.

I posted about it here and people said they just don't sign those and never have any trouble. Can I expect that to be the case as a fresh graduate? And do I just scratch out that part before signing it, turn in the forms minus that page, or what? And do I just not say anything about it unless it's discovered or do I tell whoever sends me the offer letter that I won't be signing that?

Seems like it would be impossible to learn on your own time in any meaningful capacity if you sign one of these.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Bhaal posted:

^^^ I hate how travel time is accepted as non-billable. I also usually had to book flight/hotel out of my own pocket and get reimbursed weeks after I got home.
Welcome to a corporate consulting firm. 9am - 7pm days with minimal-to-nil time invested working from home in the evenings/weekend will get you labelled as a not-in-the-game clock watcher, BTW. But the money can be very good. If you go this route make sure everyone you know is offended at the amount you take in each month, otherwise you're getting screwed.
I'm not even getting paid that much, heck I've got a friend on a entry level job that does less hours than me with a telcom company and gets paid reasonably the same as I do; now if they sent me to abroad, yeah I'd rake in the cash but no luck so far.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Safe and Secure! posted:

That reminds me, I'm going to be looking for a job soon. When I got my internship, an IP assignment contract was included with the rest of the hiring forms for me to fill out, basically saying that I agree to give up the ownership of all intellectual property that I create.

I posted about it here and people said they just don't sign those and never have any trouble. Can I expect that to be the case as a fresh graduate? And do I just scratch out that part before signing it, turn in the forms minus that page, or what? And do I just not say anything about it unless it's discovered or do I tell whoever sends me the offer letter that I won't be signing that?

Seems like it would be impossible to learn on your own time in any meaningful capacity if you sign one of these.

You can always learn on your own time and nobody can prevent you from using what you learn, short of company-protected secrets. But concepts and patterns and tools are all still in the mix and those transfer without any problem. From my experience most organizations that require those sorts of agreements generally either use blanket documents like the one you described ("ALL IP created is the property of X") because narrowly defining stuff doesn't make sense for them, or they use very specific ones which delineate what is and isn't covered. For the generic blanket ones, it's usually understood that you can't/shouldn't be prevented from doing toy projects/hobbies in your own time if it's not competitive or related to the organization you're covered by, and would be highly unlikely to be claimed by anyone. One thing that typically was clear was that anything created with company assets (laptops, software, could stretch it to using the company network), can quite reasonably be claimed by that company at least in some portion, so do your own off-time stuff on your own hardware/software.

thepedestrian
Dec 13, 2004
hey lady, you call him dr. jones!

Safe and Secure! posted:

I don't know about other states but at least in California, anything you create on your own time using your own machine is exempted from any IP contracts you sign by state law.

edit: whoops quoted wrong post

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

evensevenone posted:

Even at 90k, after tax you're at about 5k/mo, which makes a $2500/mo 1br a bit of a stretch.

In the rest of the world you could be buying houses. And boats.

In SF, you'd have a reason to leave them.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Safe and Secure! posted:

Well, how good can the compensation be?

Completely incompetent partners in my firm who are just really good at bullshitting are making like 10% on projects they pitch and get on top of $200,000 - $250,000 base. The latest is a $300,000 project that we look to be getting. It makes me hate consulting even more than I already do, which is quite a lot. Everyone in management at my company that seems to have gone anywhere is completely full of poo poo and also a tremendous poo poo-head who just throws out buzzwords. The good developer I sit next to makes a fraction of what they do and is infinitely smarter (and also a way better person).

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Safe and Secure! posted:

I've had great success with simply throwing away contracts with terms I dislike and ignoring the "reminders" from HR. Your milage may vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

DreadCthulhu posted:

Yeah, unfortunately it's one of those things that nobody tells you upfront, but that's really true. If you want to make it anywhere as an individual contributor you pretty much have to spend an extra 4-5 hours a day at home working on stuff that's beyond what you do at work, since the vast majority of jobs out there (that pay) are awful enteprise CRUD factories.

Hahahahaha this (except for the last clause) is completely untrue. 4-5 hours a day? Fuuuuuuck that. Wrong. Not saying that you shouldn't do that if you want to do that, but it is sure as gently caress *necessary*.