Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Hey Merchant to the Stars guy, your game sounds like it could be really awesome but I'm just completely bored of it after a few hours because there's no depth or strategy at all. Also there are too many menu navigations needed (go into desk, go into person, go into every single item, go out to lobby, go to forge…) to the point where it's annoying, especially cause your buttons are too small and badly placed (I'm talking about the return button).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bummey posted:

I think Cyrano only has an old iPod, so newer games requiring fancy iOS 6 or iPad hardware aren't going to work.

Actually I recently inherited an old iPad, so now I can go all the way up to iOS 5.1 :downs:

I'm fairly shocked at the amount of stuff an iPad 1 will play to be honest. When I agreed to take it I flat out assumed that I was going to be using it 100% for reading .pdfs on the toilette and watching movies in bed.

Believe me, even I'm not so naive as to ask for game recommendations on 3.1 with requirements beyond "will it actually launch?"

edit: thanks for the suggestions, by the way. I've already given some of those a shot and . . . meh. Somehow just too shallow. I don't know, that capital ship space game craving is a very particular itch I'm trying to scratch and all of the iDevice stuff I've seen so far is just majorly lacking in some area.

The idea I have in my head need not even be that hardware intensive, but unfortunately it seems that just about every iOS space game is either terrible bucket-ware free poo poo or catering to the "WHOA, high def space explosions IN MY HANDS :aaa: " demographic.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 3, 2013

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Plants Vs. Zombies 2 is iOS exclusive and coming in July. F2P.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hey Merchant to the Stars guy, your game sounds like it could be really awesome but I'm just completely bored of it after a few hours because there's no depth or strategy at all. Also there are too many menu navigations needed (go into desk, go into person, go into every single item, go out to lobby, go to forge…) to the point where it's annoying, especially cause your buttons are too small and badly placed (I'm talking about the return button).

It's the timers that really kill it for me. I mean you send them out and after a while into the game it's a ten minute wait of... nothing. Nothing to look at except the timers count down.

Being able to tag items in the closet with heroes so you know why you're holding on to a certain katana would be helpful as well.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh, speaking of which:

In my quest (:ninja: edit - oh jesus that was unintentional :rimshot: ) for a good rogue-like or at least similar feeling permadeath type game with a good inheritance structure I found a game that is absolutely pure loving genius. I swear it's unsearchable on the App Store as well. I found it via an advertisement in a goddamned RPG dice rolling app of all places and I still want to know why I felt compelled to click on it because I NEVER click through on adds.

Sword & Glory (I suspect the unfortunate ampersand coupled with the other two rather common title words has something to do with it being loving crazy hard to search for that app in the app store).

Basically you're a Norse warrior of some kind, you're born, and. . . that's it. Go out and interact with your community. FIght feuds. Search for treasure. Kill stuff. Be killed. Subsequent characters inherit the Epic Points you earn (so an absolutely glorious death in a good cause is actually a desired thing) but not your silver, which lends an odd twist to your decisions on how to spend what amount to two types of currency. If there's IAP I haven't found it yet. I mean, there MUST be, right? If it's there it's super discrete and totally unneeded.

Oh yeah, and the game is straight up free.

The combat system is really simple yet surprisingly hard to master and works great on the iPad. I imagine it would be even better on a phone just because of the size of the device. iPad Mini would probably be ideal.

The art style is great too. Kind of a black and white line drawing thing going on with color used very sparingly and for emphasis here and there. I don't know, kind of has a Sin City vibe to it.

Anyways, it's absolute loving genius and I am terribly addicted to it. This is the first iOS game where I really want to send the devs a few bucks. Here's the developer's webpage. Apparently they're Finnish and I guess they're still in business.

Fake edit: Just fired up the game and yeah, you can purchase more epic points. Problem is I don't want to because managing that across multiple iterations of characters is kind of a core part of the gameplay. I need to email these guys and find out if they have a paypal that I can send a few bucks to because drat if I don't want to gently caress up my game with an obvious easy mode cheat but wow I'm loving this and want to buy them a drink.

real edit: Oh poo poo I"m playing it again. Seriously, this thing is loving heroin. It's combining Norse poo poo, kinda-history poo poo, and RPG poo poo into one terrible cocktail that I swear was brewed specifically for me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Al Baron posted:

Oh dear.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Looking for a recommendation on a game.

I'd like something a bit privateer-ish, if that makes any sense. Have a spaceship, fly point A to B, blow crap up, use the procedes from blowing crap up to upgrade your ship to blow crap up better. Ideally it would be a capital ship but whatever.

I know this is vague but I can see what I want in my head and this is an itch I've been trying to scratch for a while.

Yes, I'm aware of Star Command but frankly from watching online videos etc of it I get the feeling that if I plunk down money on that I'm only going to be disappointed. That one just looks too railroaded to be honest.

Honestly I should just deal with it and re-install X3 on my computer but I'm kind of in a time crunch right now and trying to avoid doing any gaming more intensive than what I can get away with on an iPad.

I don't really know what privateer or X3 are, but you could give Warpgate a try? It ticks the "fly around, blow people up and improve your ship" boxes, but I think from memory your money all comes from trading and completing missions rather than looting the ships you blow up. Looking back it does look a tad dated now, but at the time (3 years ago, drat) I sunk ages into it to complete it.

It was made by Hippieman (of recent "Merchant to the Stars" fame) when he was at Freeverse - probably amongst others, but I think he was lead on it or something.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Thanks for the feedback, guys. We're exploring ideas for addressing the later-game issues and speeding up progression right now; some of them will certainly appear in the upcoming patch.

Froist posted:

It was made by Hippieman (of recent "Merchant to the Stars" fame) when he was at Freeverse - probably amongst others, but I think he was lead on it or something.

Hippieman was producer on Warpgate, I was lead.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Having a blast with Knights of the Old Republic. Playing hard mode smuggler solo run, no party members unless the quest forces it. Its a really good port, save for the occasional crash.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

Al Baron posted:

Ugh. I love the first so much that ill have to try it.

And then spend $40 on plants. Sigh.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Al Baron posted:

This is bullshit. Way to get me excited for a game with a teaser trailer only to tell me that I can only play it on a tiny screen (despite having finicky controls) and it's going to have some awful payment model, no doubt. Like really, what is their excuse for no PC version?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

This is bullshit. Way to get me excited for a game with a teaser trailer only to tell me that I can only play it on a tiny screen (despite having finicky controls) and it's going to have some awful payment model, no doubt. Like really, what is their excuse for no PC version?

When they made the decision, the industry was probably still hand-wringing about how mobile gaming is going to take over everything in the world and people would throw their desktop computers in the garbage can.

I'm sure it'll get ported eventually, once the money they can squeeze out of the iOS crowd dries up.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sword & Glory

This game is pretty tight OP but seems kind of easy so far. Attacked everyone I could in the starting town and pretty much effortlessly slaughtered them, hope I come across something soon that causes my clanless, /r/atheism subscribing, ex-slave warrior to bite the dust because the permadeath system sounds cool.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Have any of these casual F2P games done well on PC? Outside of Farmville on Facebook, anyway.

I know that usually when people release iOS F2P style games on Steam, people get angry about it.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if they do roll out a PC version down the line, this could just be a trial exclusive.

Lurker God
Jan 28, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT GETTING OWNED BY DAVID HOROWITZ (AND BEING FOR THE EXTERMINATION OF THE JEWISH RACE LOL)sieg heil ronald mcdonald;;
Are there any other good trading games besides Merchant to the Stars for the iPad?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

goferchan posted:

This game is pretty tight OP but seems kind of easy so far. Attacked everyone I could in the starting town and pretty much effortlessly slaughtered them, hope I come across something soon that causes my clanless, /r/atheism subscribing, ex-slave warrior to bite the dust because the permadeath system sounds cool.

Just wait. This game can get loving brutal about you getting in over your head and all of a sudden being in an honor duel with someone you are going to flat out lose to. I'm in my longest running game yet and I got there by learning humility and backing the gently caress down on occasion to avoid fights.

The key is to pick on the small and the weak as much as you can, buff the gently caress out of your guy, and only fight truly challenging opponents when the pay off is going to be well worth it.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sword & Glory rules, I just had the best half hour ever on my phone, and i assume it only gets better. Thanks for the recommendation!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh, in case you didn't notice it yet, there are a series of exits along the top of your home village map that lead to various quests and adventures. Those will flat murder you. Stay home. :ohdear:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

triplexpac posted:

Have any of these casual F2P games done well on PC? Outside of Farmville on Facebook, anyway.

I know that usually when people release iOS F2P style games on Steam, people get angry about it.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if they do roll out a PC version down the line, this could just be a trial exclusive.

Didn't PvZ get an iOS release with IAP features? The PC version of PvZ2 could just be a paid game without the IAP.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Just 100% cleared Quell: Memento. Really great game in a fun series, I highly recommend it. I think the limited amount of possible moves makes it easier to deal with than some other puzzle games, and the ambiance is very relaxing.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Boris Galerkin posted:

This times 10. Seriously buying/scrapping every item individually is boring and tedious. Also can I get an option to skip the tutorial.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

haveblue posted:

Thanks for the feedback, guys. We're exploring ideas for addressing the later-game issues and speeding up progression right now; some of them will certainly appear in the upcoming patch.

Hippieman was producer on Warpgate, I was lead.

I think you guys should do closed beta with Goons like nimblebit does. It'll be much more polished out the gate. I'm not trying to be mean!

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh, in case you didn't notice it yet, there are a series of exits along the top of your home village map that lead to various quests and adventures. Those will flat murder you. Stay home. :ohdear:

I had a strong feeling that would happen, figured i'd wait until i was leveled enough to beat the fighting arena on hard consistently or until quests run out. I am tough poo poo in bear land though, playing defensively and with extra dominance to outdamage the enemy then finish them with a flurry of quick strikes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

UglyDucklett posted:

I had a strong feeling that would happen, figured i'd wait until i was leveled enough to beat the fighting arena on hard consistently or until quests run out. I am tough poo poo in bear land though, playing defensively and with extra dominance to outdamage the enemy then finish them with a flurry of quick strikes.

Careful you don't fart around too long, you'll get old and slow.

No, really. You'll age and become a decrepit old man unworthy of a warrior's death in battle :black101:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah, as it is Merchant to the Stars seems to be about half of a really good game.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
WAITING PAYS OFF

:downs:

Or I just didn't want to pay for a game that was so busted.

Azkend 2 just went free. I heard a lot of bad poo poo about it compared to the first one. Lots of complaints about fundamental flaws in the gameplay and just straight up poor design, which is a shame when you think about how good the first one was. Still, free, gift horse, etc.

http://www.appshopper.com/games/azkend-2-hd-the-world-beneath

Bummey fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 3, 2013

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

devilmouse posted:

Feel my tiny rage, developers! Requiring ios6 for no good reason! :argh:

My poor ipad is stuck on 5.1.1 until we can retire support for 5. So now I have to borrow coworkers' ipads to play Warhammer. (PS You're throwing away 5% of your user base OR MORE!)

The reason this MAY be happening is this.

1. You're not allowed to use UDID to identify a device.

2. The replacement for that is on iOS6.

Just FYI

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The next version of Merchant will support iOS 5, for what it's worth. I just finished the hour or so of conversion work it took.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Is FF:D good enough to put time into? I have it but I haven't actually started it yet and was wondering if its worth it over some of the other iOS games I haven't tried yet.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Fallom posted:

Yeah, as it is Merchant to the Stars seems to be about half of a really good game.

This is disappointing. :( Guess I'll not bother getting it and play more Jacksmith for now instead.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Speaking of Merchant I dropped the 300k to upgrade swords and... Seriously I have no idea what it did. Power stayed the same, same amount of materials consumed so I dunno what the hell here.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh, speaking of which:

In my quest (:ninja: edit - oh jesus that was unintentional :rimshot: ) for a good rogue-like or at least similar feeling permadeath type game with a good inheritance structure I found a game that is absolutely pure loving genius. I swear it's unsearchable on the App Store as well. I found it via an advertisement in a goddamned RPG dice rolling app of all places and I still want to know why I felt compelled to click on it because I NEVER click through on adds.

Sword & Glory (I suspect the unfortunate ampersand coupled with the other two rather common title words has something to do with it being loving crazy hard to search for that app in the app store).

Basically you're a Norse warrior of some kind, you're born, and. . . that's it. Go out and interact with your community. FIght feuds. Search for treasure. Kill stuff. Be killed. Subsequent characters inherit the Epic Points you earn (so an absolutely glorious death in a good cause is actually a desired thing) but not your silver, which lends an odd twist to your decisions on how to spend what amount to two types of currency. If there's IAP I haven't found it yet. I mean, there MUST be, right? If it's there it's super discrete and totally unneeded.

The combat system is really simple yet surprisingly hard to master and works great on the iPad. I imagine it would be even better on a phone just because of the size of the device. iPad Mini would probably be ideal.

The art style is great too. Kind of a black and white line drawing thing going on with color used very sparingly and for emphasis here and there. I don't know, kind of has a Sin City vibe to it.

Anyways, it's absolute loving genius and I am terribly addicted to it. This is the first iOS game where I really want to send the devs a few bucks. Here's the developer's webpage. Apparently they're Finnish and I guess they're still in business.

Fake edit: Just fired up the game and yeah, you can purchase more epic points. Problem is I don't want to because managing that across multiple iterations of characters is kind of a core part of the gameplay. I need to email these guys and find out if they have a paypal that I can send a few bucks to because drat if I don't want to gently caress up my game with an obvious easy mode cheat but wow I'm loving this and want to buy them a drink.

real edit: Oh poo poo I"m playing it again. Seriously, this thing is loving heroin. It's combining Norse poo poo, kinda-history poo poo, and RPG poo poo into one terrible cocktail that I swear was brewed specifically for me.

Holy poo poo, good catch. :stare: This game is fantastic. Even if I didn't have ads blocked by the hosts file I never would have . Man. Thanks.

Speaking of awesome Norse poo poo, a new Amon Amarth album comes out soon. Totally unrelated but I just found that out, like, five minutes ago.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 4, 2013

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Anyone have tips for Sword & Glory? What's working for the rest of you? I've only made it to middle age once in a number of runs.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Who cares about growing old. It's about dying in GLORIOUS BATTLE :black101:

Thank you for finding this, Cyrano. I'm fairly awful at the combat, but have gotten slightly better by focusing on dominance and a singular kind of attack. I dunno if htere's a rock paper scissors thing that factors in or if certain attacks just hvae more dominance, but you can fairly easily get the AI stuck in a rut of Cower Behind Shield > Careful Attack > Dominated by Fast Attack > Dead.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Is there anyway to work around the bug in the Grey Seer Tail quest in WHQ? No matter what I do this quest dungeon in uncompleteable for me. I've tried killing only the boss, kill all the enemies, then the boss, clearing the side area first, etc. Nothing is working.

I've seen people claiming they beat the game, but I'm wondering how they managed that since this quest seems unfinishable to me.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

SpookyLizard posted:

Who cares about growing old. It's about dying in GLORIOUS BATTLE :black101:

Death is its own reward! :black101:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Eegah posted:

Speaking of Merchant I dropped the 300k to upgrade swords and... Seriously I have no idea what it did. Power stayed the same, same amount of materials consumed so I dunno what the hell here.
It allows you to hone that specific subtype of weapon three times instead of twice. I was quite disappointed with it too, as I was hoping for that amount of cash it would let me do stuff like alter materials/elements to better outfit my guys rather than just provide a minor power boost.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh, speaking of which:

If anyone hasn't tried this yet, then download it now. It's seriously good fun, and Cyrano found a gem here. Someone from TA needs to get this game some front page coverage.

Agree with everything you said about wanting to throw money at it, but also not wanting to mess up my progression. Maybe he should sell some exclusive hats for cash. All I know is, this is a game where if you buy a "manly red beard" you are better at fighting. Game owns.

This is a King of Dragon Pass dueling game. I died in my first run when a brother attacked me for trying to kidnap his sister and marry her. In my second run, she still spurned me and I turned up late to her wedding, drunk, and got into a fight with her father when they wouldn't offer me the best booze.

Seriously, game owns.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 4, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Colbear posted:

This is disappointing. :( Guess I'll not bother getting it and play more Jacksmith for now instead.

What is Jacksmith? It's a bitch to google for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Look Around You posted:

Is FF:D good enough to put time into? I have it but I haven't actually started it yet and was wondering if its worth it over some of the other iOS games I haven't tried yet.

I'd say buy and play the first chapter, you'll know if the game is for you by the time you finish it.

• Locked thread