Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I understand why people had to cheat to get anywhere as a west-african pagan. Even as a genius with a +4 learning trait, one son (and six daughters), 10 demense (controlling everything but the useless desert counties), and opinions from vassals/courtiers +80 you still are at a crippling disadvantage.

No: Mercenaries, retinues, ships, allies, techs, expansion, raiding etc.

The only reason I haven't been pounded into the sand yet is because of savescumming to evade the invasions you get every few years from your muslim friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Adventurers :allears: they don't set easy goals

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

That's somewhat saner than the Pagan Norse Antioch I saw, and the Norse Invasion of Alexandria that ended with the leader of the host becoming the Sultan's martial.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

BabyFur Denny posted:

I usually never stab anyone. Not worth the trouble.

Stab revolting pretenders always. Instant victory. I always float a 2k surplus via raids just in case someone attempts to usurp during the most inopportune times. I don't even think there's a penalty to your relations if the assassin is caught, so long as the rebellion has already begun.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Went rooting around in the files, and apparently your supposed to lose all Magyar lands when you make Hungary. And looking at it, the bonus troops you get are supposed to degrade as if they were taking attrition. You get them in the first place because when you when you conquer Hungary, you don't get any levies/taxes from it, and since you're supposed to lose Magyar, it would leave you defenseless without them. But whoever wrote the code for that event doesn't seem to have a great grasp of whats allowable in the code, as neither of these things happen. The code doesn't do anything.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

:stare:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Oh my God, that's pricless! :lol:

Lunatic trait?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Schizotek posted:

Went rooting around in the files, and apparently your supposed to lose all Magyar lands when you make Hungary. And looking at it, the bonus troops you get are supposed to degrade as if they were taking attrition. You get them in the first place because when you when you conquer Hungary, you don't get any levies/taxes from it, and since you're supposed to lose Magyar, it would leave you defenseless without them. But whoever wrote the code for that event doesn't seem to have a great grasp of whats allowable in the code, as neither of these things happen. The code doesn't do anything.
God, the Magyars were created by an intern.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Old Gods rocks, but it's clear that a lot of the mechanics are broken. How long does it normally take for a patch to fix this stufF?

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

An adventurer left my lands to go conquer Venice. I thought "this should be interesting" and decided to keep tabs on him. He eventually lost, but he brought enough of a fight that Venice ran out of money for mercs and was subsequently invaded by the Company of the Hat in the best-named war ever.

The Doge escaped to that little nub province down south, apparently losing the Patricians and becoming a feudal king in the process.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

HenessyHero posted:

Thought Constantinople would be a good place to farm techs, got sent back a blind spymaster.

When you're Basileus, this is the sort of dickery you just can't resist. My foothold in Sicily keeps getting invaded by Almoravids and every nobleman I capture in those wars is sent home without eyes or testicles. :getin:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I'm playing as the Khan of Cumania and I've just got to get something off my chest.

Can my vassels please stop dragging my half-brother into inheritance wars? His opinion of me is 100 so I'm pretty sure he doesn't give a poo poo that I'm the top dog. But then a bunch of counts just start a war on his behalf and I have to feel like a dick for him getting chucked into prison at the end.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Schizotek posted:

I'm not sure what the attrition is or isn't meant to do, but where do you see anything that suggests Hungary's meant to lose provinces? Aside from spawning troops, the rest of the event is about swapping k_magyar out for k_hungary and some culture/religion changes in order to represent the Hungarian migration/settlement, both of which work fine. Nothing at all that's suggested to make Hungary lose territory, as far as I can tell.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mystic_Shadow posted:

I always laugh at the people who claim playing as Venice is like playing with cheats, but then there are others who want to give them even more power.

You're not really meant to have trade posts in the HRE as Venice. They will embargo your serene butt and there's little you can do about it.

I think you're severely underestimating the power of Pike retinues + heavy inf/archer retinues.
I'm actually thinking about just starting open war because I'm close to being able to beat his 200k soldiers.

Spiderfist Island posted:

Find someone who wants to be independent, set your chancellor to "tarnish relations with liege" on the HRE's capital, and hope for the best. Alternatively if you're desperate you can create your own antipope and hope that heresies tear the empire apart.

Yeah hoping for the best really sounds like my best option. I don't wanna ruin religious authority because I like being a crusader too much.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Been trying to branch out and learn viccy2 and eu3 these days.
I finally think I got a grasp on viccy2 today but....

it's just not as fun as ck2...

I'm nowhere near as enthralled/raging/laughing at stolen titles. :\

Think CK2 is just the standard at which I measure grand strategy games.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
What makes Crusader Kings so much fun to me is that the simulation is character-based. There's a simulated person making the decisions, like Sims if their choices actually mattered.

I'd actually like the character simulation to expand, I'd definitely pay for a Plots and Events DLC. Let me play as landless adventurers and expand the role of the council. 33 mopes in my court and I can only find jobs for five of them? Pffft.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite thing ever is now getting killed, then taking over control of your brother and receiving the "assassination attempt successful" message.

Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

Seek not greatness, but instead truth, and you shall find both.
Any reason why all the brothers of the King of Asturias are blind??

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
So are Ruler stats hardcoded to cap out at 50? I tried to make a super ruler and no stat goes above 50 base points.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

GrossMurpel posted:

So are Ruler stats hardcoded to cap out at 50? I tried to make a super ruler and no stat goes above 50 base points.

Cmon, Superman, be honest with yourself. It is extremely rare to see somebody get over 30 points in a single stat even after traits, and paradox considered 13 to be a good score while writing scripts for councilors events.
As ruler you get bonuses from wife and council so modified scores around 60-ish is pretty good.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 4, 2013

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I don't think so, I just made a guy with a modified 99 in every stat. I think stats roll around to 0 at around 140, though.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
First time I've ever started with the Byzantine emperor. I think his 29 year reign went pretty well. If I'm counting right he conquered 26 counties, diplo-vassalized one, two more were conquered by vassals and another gained through marriage for a net gain of 30 counties for the realm.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Nightblade posted:

I don't think so, I just made a guy with a modified 99 in every stat. I think stats roll around to 0 at around 140, though.

That could be it, I'll be sure to try with <140 and >140 stats.

Pyromancer posted:

Cmon, Superman, be honest with yourself. It is extremely rare to see somebody get over 30 points in a single stat even after traits, and paradox considered 13 to be a good score while writing scripts for councilors events.
As ruler you get bonuses from wife and council so modified scores around 60-ish is pretty good.

If I want to make a super ruler there's no reason not to go as close to maximum stats as possible though.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I've gone back a few pages but haven't seen anything about this. Does Europe always turn into a clusterfuck after the first generation dies in the old gods scenario? I took over most of Britain as Jorvik in my first ruler's lifetime but now Italy inherited southern England, Bavaria owns most of Yugoslavia and barely anything in Bavaria, East Francia actually owns west France and West Francia is gone, and Burgundy owns a bunch of the Baltics and even more crazy poo poo is going on that makes me think that the AI is marrying off people too high in the line of succession or there aren't enough dynasty members in the big countries in Europe because they've all fallen apart. It doesn't make me want to go conquer/pillage Europe because there's really no one who can put up any fight and it feels like I've already won 50 years in. Does this change after a while or is it a problem with the scenario?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I think they may have cut fertility too much in the latest patch.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
And all the Kings are related and have claims on each other.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Zoroastrian Tweaks

To give the Zoroastrians at least something of a fighting chance, I copied and pasted the Finnish pagan defensive attrition into the Zoroastrian religion.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

BabyFur Denny posted:

And all the Kings are related and have claims on each other.

And all of the kingdoms run on Gavelkind, to make everything even more chaotic.

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

There are no heroes left in man
Remind me how Invasions work as I seem to have completely forgotten. Specifically, what button did the Abbasid Caliph push to be able to launch an invasion of Greece and where can I find it?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Jabu posted:

Remind me how Invasions work as I seem to have completely forgotten. Specifically, what button did the Abbasid Caliph push to be able to launch an invasion of Greece and where can I find it?

Click on the current King of Greece, go into diplomacy with him, declare war and use the casus belli "Invasion of Greece". You might not always have access to this CB!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So, here is my recently-deceased Awesome King, who turned Ireland into a world power, conquered France and Wales (Brittany fell into his lap), and crushed England and Scotland, and his only regret was that he couldn't see the now-inevitable empire formed.

So, Lunatic King takes over. He is super popular.

Lunatic King crushes two more rebellions and bribes enough French lords to get Medium Crown Authority passed in every kingdom in the proto-empire. Job well done, Lunatic King! Take a break! You deserve it.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
What determines who your actual dynastic heir is? i.e. who you play as after death. Is it related to your succession laws under your primary title? Is it effected by your nomination under elective monarchy? I've had it change a few times for no apparent reason.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Jabu posted:

In vanilla Muslims get a kingdom-targetting invasion CB for like 500 piety I think? I also think CK2+ completely removed it because it is incredibly overpowered.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 4, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Does anyone know what to edit so I can assign women as army leaders? My last king had no sons so it defaulted to my badass warrior daughter, but gender bias during the Medieval Ages or not, I can't see a warrior queen not being allowed to lead her own drat army.

vvv: Got it. Thanks to both of you for the help!

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 4, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Does anyone know what to edit so I can assign women as army leaders? My last king had no sons so it defaulted to my badass warrior daughter, but gender bias during the Medieval Ages or not, I can't see a warrior queen not being allowed to lead her own drat army.

There's a line in the marshal job description that says "is_female = no". Remove that line and women can command.

*All women*

I don't think there's any way to limit it by say, culture/religion/law or decision, sadly.

e: Or maybe there are a few ways to limit it by culture/religion.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 4, 2013

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

toasterwarrior posted:

Edit the requirements for the Marshal job in common/job_titles.txt - they also govern who can be appointed as an army leader. You can just remove the is_female = no to be simple about it.

edit: beaten, but no, you can stick in whatever insane requirements you like if you understand the scripting properly. For example, my edits basically say "be male, or be a woman with 15 martial if your liege doesn't have Agnatic gender law, or be a woman with 12 martial if you're a ruler, have the brave trait, or are a member of one of these cultures, or be a woman who's had a Joan of Arc event I borrowed from Strudel Man happen to her".

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 4, 2013

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Pimpmust posted:

There's a line in the marshal job description that says "is_female = no". Remove that line and women can command.

*All women*

I don't think there's any way to limit it by say, culture/religion/law or decision, sadly.
You can make incredibly elaborate requirements and limits if you are willing to do some scripting.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
After looking in the wikis and the manual, I haven't been able to uncover how rank works. How can I become something bigger than an earl?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

rt4 posted:

After looking in the wikis and the manual, I haven't been able to uncover how rank works. How can I become something bigger than an earl?

Usurp or create a duchy. If you own at least 51% of all the de jure counties in a duchy, you can create or usurp it if you have enough gold.

The gist of it is that all duchies/kingdoms/empires on the map consist of "de jure" pieces. Chunks whose existence seems to be written into the fabric of the land itself. So a Duchy may consist of one or more de jure counties, which means that if a ruler owns enough of these counties, he can call into existence a Duchy and appoint himself the duke. Afterwards he can wage war to take over counties which rightfully belong within the de jure area of the duchy. The same goes for Kingdoms-- they consist of a number of de jure duchies.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Kainser posted:

You can make incredibly elaborate requirements and limits if you are willing to do some scripting.

Yeah, something like this:
allow = {
OR = {
is_female = no
liege = {
OR = {
mother = { character = FROM }
spouse = { character = FROM }
}
}
AND = {
religion_group = pagan_group
liege = {
religion_group = pagan_group
}
}
}
is_adult = yes
prisoner = no
NOT = { trait = incapable }
}
Would allow the marshal gig under the same conditions as the default spymaster job. I.e, limited by family relation and religion group.

Hmm, I guess I see how you could limit it by decision/law if you did something fancy with setting flags...

• Locked thread