Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

AradoBalanga posted:

Watch it be Simon Baz or Alan Scott, just to mess with people's heads.

They should tease Kilowog and then have the next season pass just be the four Darkstars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

AradoBalanga posted:

Watch it be Simon Baz or Alan Scott, just to mess with people's heads.

I would love it to be Alan Scott because that costume is fruity and great. Also Jay Garrick, do it, Boon.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kokoro Wish posted:

I would love it to be Alan Scott because that costume is fruity and great. Also Jay Garrick, do it, Boon.
If they're going on a Blackest Night kick with these costumes, we're more likely to see Blue Lantern Barry instead of Jay.

Which means we might also see Star Sapphire Wonder Woman and Agent Orange Lex Luthor.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Kokoro Wish posted:

It's going to be John Stewart. I hope it makes comic book nerds raaaaage.

It'd be awesome. They already got Phil Lamar as Aquaman, so he can do John Stewart. Then him and Hawkgirl can have unique clash quotes and poo poo. Yay. :allears:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
A friend of mine and I just bought this specifically to play against each other because we're terrible at fighting games. Apparently, our game sessions are no longer available immediately after trying it. I've never had a problem playing a game online with him before. Is there anything we can do to get this working? Like, a special trick or something I scream at my playstation?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Hot drat, after experimenting with a few characters I decided to pick up Black Adam and I have just been tearing people apart online. I'm somewhat decent, and I've managed to get a 19 win streak with him. (I even managed to do the 10 win streak daily challenge today) I've still got a lot to learn, and I've been having a hard time reliably pulling off combos online, but I've been doing better with Black Adam than I've been doing with any character in any fighter ever.

I'm UltimateZAR on PSN if any of you want to fight. I don't have a schedule for playing this game, I just do it whenever.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you haven't bought it yet.. what are you waiting for?

BrownThunder posted:

Gamestop is selling Injustice: Gods Among Us for 360, PS3, and WiiU tomorrow for $9.99 between 12-1 Central.

https://twitter.com/gamestop/status/341634657474981889

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Good look with that, expect the site to crash with thousands upon thousands of FatWallet people trying to turn a $20 profit on eBay.

Arikado
May 9, 2008

Gonna try to grab a PS3 copy while that sale is going on. I'd like to play with the PSN goons as well, but I get the feeling it's going to stock out almost immediately.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

Geeze, even Scorpion's pre-fight intro is like "why the gently caress am I here" :confused:

Jokerfish
May 3, 2007

Bait Master

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Everybody already knows that Zod is the last character so the MMH tease has to be for a second batch of characters or just them being really mean. Scorpion's design and gameplay look fine but ultimately I think he's a bit of an uninspired choice for a guest character.

Yeah, I can't help but think from a licensing point of view which is that it's a DC game, the only other IP they have access to is their own which they can use for free, then they just can't resist the urge to shoehorn one of their own guys in despite the concept mismatch and Boon early on not wanting people to think it was another MK crossover and then having the balls to charge for it. It all seems a bit hosed up.

Scorpion looks cool and all but this wouldn't have sold me on a season pass when the game launched.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Blast Fantasto posted:

Good look with that, expect the site to crash with thousands upon thousands of FatWallet people trying to turn a $20 profit on eBay.

They reserve some for online orders through the stores if there's one near you, go in the morning and ask them to order it through the website (it's free shipping too if you do it in the store as well).

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
drat that's cheap! I might snag a PS3 copy..

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

They just keep rolling out these sales only days after I got the game. A week from now there's gonna be a blowout sale with Walmart just giving away free copies or something. :smithicide:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Even though it'll only be online for an hour, it wouldn't hurt to see if Target or Wal-Mart can price match it (that's what I did when Toys R Us had it for $35 a couple weeks after release). Although, I'm sure they can see it was only an hour and unless you go there when the sale was going on, they probably won't do it unless they're really cool with you.

VVV Also, I think Wal-Mart has a version that includes MK vs DC Universe for the same price as the game by itself. During that $35 TRU sale, some people on CAG weren't able to get it price matched at Wal-Mart because some of the clerks and/or managers noticed it wasn't the same exact deal. I got mine price matched at Target without an ad, and even though it took a few minutes for the customer service desk to check, I still got it and the dude who helped me said he might jump on the deal, too since he didn't know about it. :)

Obeast fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 4, 2013

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Also, despite saying they'll match without the ad on their site the management is stupid and disorganized so you should probably make sure you bring the ad with you to show them if you try getting it from Walmart.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I just got my first hatemail ever with Bane, he called me spammy and the proceeded to use Raven and spam the gently caress up of her grab :allears:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I got hatemail from some guy because I beat his Superman with my Superman a little bit ago. We sent annoyed messages back and forth and somehow it ended up with me giving him tips on how to do some better setups, as well as some special moves he apparently didn't figure out, which he then used to win a match.

They grow up so fast. :allears:

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I'm expecting it to be a themed Lanterns updates, so another color for Hal Jordan.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jokerfish posted:

Yeah, I can't help but think from a licensing point of view which is that it's a DC game, the only other IP they have access to is their own which they can use for free, then they just can't resist the urge to shoehorn one of their own guys in despite the concept mismatch and Boon early on not wanting people to think it was another MK crossover and then having the balls to charge for it. It all seems a bit hosed up.

Scorpion looks cool and all but this wouldn't have sold me on a season pass when the game launched.

Would've been better if his intro was a facepalm and "aw poo poo, not you guys again..."

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

Yardbomb posted:

I got hatemail from some guy because I beat his Superman with my Superman a little bit ago. We sent annoyed messages back and forth and somehow it ended up with me giving him tips on how to do some better setups, as well as some special moves he apparently didn't figure out, which he then used to win a match.

They grow up so fast. :allears:

Are you playing on Xbox? I play Superman!

edit: just read the spreadsheet :(

Seymour Butts fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 4, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

KungFu Grip posted:

No one would want to play as the lovely boring dude from a bad movie.

There are plenty of Green Lantern players though! :rimshot:

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Has anyone else received an email from <noreply@emails.injustice.com>? It's regarding signing up for Marketing information from WB games in exchange for an Arrow Skin.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Finally went online to try this out after picking it up a few days ago. I don't play fighting games online at all really but holy crap this was one of the laggiest online experiences I've ever encountered (ps3). Hopefully it was just the people I was playing against? Because drat.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

S.J. posted:

Finally went online to try this out after picking it up a few days ago. I don't play fighting games online at all really but holy crap this was one of the laggiest online experiences I've ever encountered (ps3). Hopefully it was just the people I was playing against? Because drat.

It probably was, I'm on PS3 too and the game's always really fluid unless I'm fighting someone with a 2 bar or lower connection.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

SCORPION

Alias: Hanzo Hasashi
First appearance: Mortal Kombat (1992)
Powers: Pyrokinesis, resurrection, teleportation, enhanced strength
Other media: Appeared in movies, comics, the Mortal Kombat animated series, live-action web series, a novel and an episode of Drawn Together

Time to explain Scorpion to people who... don't... know comics? Well, this is awkward.

Scorpion first appeared in the first Mortal Kombat game as a palette swap of Sub-Zero, originally played by Daniel Pesina. In his profile, little info was given on him. Just that he was a mysterious ninja who didn't seem to like Sub-Zero, which suggested they're from rival clans. Through his Fatality, it revealed that he wasn't human due to his skull head under the mask and his ending revealed his origin: Sub-Zero killed him and he was reborn as a spectre, bent on revenge. He also left a wife and son behind, but could never see them again because why not just rip off all of Spawn while you're at it?

Wait, they came out the same year? Huh. Snark retracted.

Scorpion succeeded in killing Sub-Zero and returned to Hell. Then he popped back up for some unknown reason and figured it had something to do with Sub-Zero being seen walking around. He entered the second tournament to take care of Sub-Zero once and for all, but then got weirded out when he saw Sub-Zero defeat an enemy and spare their life. He figured out that this was the younger brother of Sub-Zero, who had taken up the mantle and was a bit on the pure-hearted side. Scorpion let Sub-Zero live and decided that he'd make amends by becoming something of a guardian angel to him.

Despite being the most popular character in the franchise, Scorpion was nowhere to be seen in Mortal Kombat 3. It still bewilders me. When they upgraded it with Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Scorpion was brought back into the fold, as well as a myriad of other ninja characters who were all just the same actor in different colored sprites. Joining him were Reptile, Classic Sub-Zero, Ermac, Noob Saibot and in the next follow-up, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Rain and Chameleon. Scorpion's deal was that Shao Kahn recruited him for his siege on Earthrealm, but Scorpion realized that Sub-Zero was one of his targets, so he turned on him. Then he went back to Hell, because that's where he keeps his stuff.

They released a side-scrolling prequel called Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero, which finally gave more of an origin to Scorpion. Scorpion was part of the Shirai Ryu ninja clan from Japan. Just your average bunch of ninjas, really. The Lin Kuei ninjas were rivals to the Shirai Ryu, so when evil sorcerer Quan Chi had a special mission in mind, he decided to play both clans against each other. He hired Sub-Zero and Scorpion independently to acquire a map. The two ended up fighting for it and although Scorpion begged for his life, Sub-Zero killed him anyway because he was kind of a dick. Which was the point of the game's story. Quan Chi repaid the Lin Kuei with the bones of the entire Shirai Ryu clan, as well as Scorpion's family. So consider that part from the first game about his family still being alive as being retconned. Sub-Zero needed to enter Hell to save the world and did so, but he briefly crossed paths with Scorpion, who was led to believe by Quan Chi that Sub-Zero was responsible for all those deaths.

In Mortal Kombat 4, they threw away the idea that Scorpion was the second Sub-Zero's protector by having Quan Chi insist that the second Sub-Zero was the one who did all those murders after all. Scorpion believed him because he was practically Quan Chi's lapdog, but after beating up Sub-Zero, he discovered the truth. Quan Chi banished him back to Hell, but Scorpion grabbed onto him and dragged him down with him.

In the next game, Quan Chi got away from his never-ending beatings and escaped Hell. Quan Chi started up a big supervillain plot with fellow evil sorcerer Shang Tsung along with their own group of henchmen. It was an interesting time of plot decisions for the series as the game Deadly Alliance started out by killing off major characters Liu Kang, Goro and Shao Kahn in the intro. Then in the intro to the follow-up Mortal Kombat: Deception, they revealed that Deadly Alliance ended with the deaths of nearly all of the good guys. Scorpion included, as an attempt to sneak into Quan Chi's fortress led to Scorpion being beaten by demonic henchmen Moloch and Drahmin. Scorpion was shoved into a "Soulnado" (a tornado of souls pulled from Heaven so that Shang Tsung can feast forever) and his body and soul were torn to pieces.

Scorpion was reborn before the Elder Gods, the cold beings who watch over Earthrealm, yet never really ever do anything (much like the Guardians from Green Lantern). They gave Scorpion some swank gold armor and a holy sword with a mission to become their new champion and save reality from the threat of Onaga the Dragon King. Awesome idea. After all, Scorpion was THE mascot of Mortal Kombat and yet he was never anything more than a supporting character. Kill off most of the good guys, turn Raiden evil and make the popular zombie ninja from Hell into the one true hope in saving the day. Brilliant!

But it was just a big swerve. Instead, the TRUE champion of the Elder Gods was Shujinko, Mortal Kombat: Deception's unlikable protagonist in the form of the world's most gullible old man. After being out of a job, Scorpion was super pissed. Not that he truly cared about his quest, but because of his pay. The Elder Gods agreed to resurrect his dead ninja clan if he helped out. They decided instead to just make them mindless and undead. Great prank, guys.

In the game Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, almost the entire cast of the franchise's history got together to have a huge battle royale in the desert, with Scorpion siding with the villains. In the latest Mortal Kombat game, they revealed what became of Scorpion: dead with an ice sword shoved into his back. I figured he'd be able to come back from that eventually, but it's a moot point. Everyone was dead except Shao Kahn and what was left of Raiden. Raiden magically sent a message to his younger self, back in the days of the first game, along with flashes of the timeline.

In this new timeline, Scorpion's role was brief. Raiden tried to convince him not to kill Sub-Zero and it almost worked, but then Quan Chi showed up and was all, "Hey, remember that time Sub-Zero killed your family? No? Let me show it to you with my magic! No way is this shady!" Scorpion killed Sub-Zero like in the original game and kept on as Quan Chi's enforcer. Probably for the best, since most of the cast is dead thanks to Raiden's fuckery with the timeline and Quan Chi's boss Shinnok is preparing to clean up. Maybe Scorpion will find his way in the next game.

This isn't Scorpion's first time fighting the DC heroes, as he appeared in the non-canon Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. He did a whole lot of nothing for the most part. Chased after Sub-Zero, searched for Kitana under Quan Chi's orders, got punched in the back of the head by Joker's boxing glove gun. In his ending, he became host of the joint energies of Shao Kahn and Darkseid, which would turn him into the most powerful being in the universe if he were to survive the transformation.

Since these essays are essentially about explaining comic characters to people who don't read comics, I figure I might as well talk about Scorpion's comic book appearances as well. There were five official Mortal Kombat one-shots to promote the games over the years, for Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II, Mortal Kombat 4, Mortal Kombat: Deception and Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. Scorpion did gently caress-all in them except briefly corner and threaten Sub-Zero in the first one and get his new champion gig in the Deception one. The Deception prequel had some really nice art, but they never finished coloring it, so it was released as a limited edition black and white comic.

Between the releases of Mortal Kombat II and Mortal Kombat 3, Malibu Comics released a set of comic miniseries that are really hard to put in order. The series started as pretty terrible, but got better towards the end. Scorpion acted as one of Shao Kahn's higher-ranking henchmen and was depicted as an evil sadist despite his sympathetic backstory. You'd think that Scorpion would turn good and Sub-Zero would be the bastard, but that didn't appear to be the case at all. In the series' final issue, Sub-Zero (the original one) was the only one left capable of saving the world by getting his hands on a certain magical medallion. He took down Goro by himself and was then confronted by Scorpion. Rather than fight, he removed his mask and told him, "Yeah, I killed you back in the day, but that was fair and square and you had an honorable death. If you're still mad about that, then tough poo poo. I'm-a go save the world. Peace." Scorpion just shrugged and spat fire onto him. Sub-Zero crawled over and grabbed the medallion while dying from being on fire because he's badass like that.

Scorpion's weapon of choice changes in different mediums. In the games, it's a spear connected to a rope. In the movies, it was a little piranha plant from Super Mario Brothers coming out of his hand. In the eye-meltingly bad animated VHS Mortal Kombat: The Journey Begins, it was just a rope that wrapped around people. In the comics, it was a spiked ball at the end of the rope. Then in the Defenders of the Realm animated series, it was just a cool gold chain.

His phrases of, "GET OVER HERE!" and, "COME HERE!" are recorded by creator Ed Boon. In the game Mortal Kombat: Shoalin Monks, you can play as Scorpion in Versus Mode. When you do that and spam his spear attack again and again, you'll eventually hear him yell, "GET OVER HERE, BITCH!" and, "GET THE gently caress OVER HERE!" The game also gave us the beautiful image of Scorpion's death scene, where he's dragged down into lava by a bunch of skeletons and he gives the T-800 thumbs up before submerging completely.

He had his own short-lived cooking show at one point. Lot of chopping was involved.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yardbomb posted:

It probably was, I'm on PS3 too and the game's always really fluid unless I'm fighting someone with a 2 bar or lower connection.

Okay, good. None of my inputs were really doing anything and I don't think I got the guy down to even half of his first bar. All I could do was stare in disbelief at my tv :v:. Even the character select was laggy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gavok posted:

Since these essays are essentially about explaining comic characters to people who don't read comics, I figure I might as well talk about Scorpion's comic book appearances as well.

To be fair, I'm sure like 6 people in this thread including you know so much about MK's story. Honestly, I did not even know Scorpion was supposed to have a sympathetic past until MK9 and even then I just assumed that was a change since I only heard the MK9 story changed some stuff here and there.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Gavok posted:

He had his own short-lived cooking show at one point. Lot of chopping was involved.

A truly beautiful time. :allears:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Gavok posted:

Despite being the most popular character in the franchise, Scorpion was nowhere to be seen in Mortal Kombat 3. It still bewilders me.

Daniel Pesina, who was the actor for Johnny Cage as well as the ninjas, forgot the face of his father and promoted a rival MK clone, Bloodstorm. He was let go and Midway did their best to make him an unperson, which is why Johnny Cage and most of the ninjas were gone from MK3, and why Sub-Zero looked different.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Ximum posted:

Daniel Pesina, who was the actor for Johnny Cage as well as the ninjas, forgot the face of his father and promoted a rival MK clone, Bloodstorm. He was let go and Midway did their best to make him an unperson, which is why Johnny Cage and most of the ninjas were gone from MK3, and why Sub-Zero looked different.

I remember that ad. From what I recall, Pesina was angry over a pay issue and did that Bloodstorm ad as a giant "gently caress you" to Midway. Still, while I understand why it took them some time to recast Johnny Cage, it's not like they couldn't have had Henry Rollins Sub-Zero from MK3 wear a ninja costume.

I figure they just wanted to put emphasis on the robot ninja idea and having any other ninjas would take away from that.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I like Scorpion as must as the next guy, but his story is loving dumb. All he wants to do is to kill Sub-Zero. If Sub-Zero is dead/not present, he will kill whoever is there because "ARGH YOU ARE NOT SUB-ZERO, I WILL KILL YOU!". He's a brainless idiot.

That being said, I look forward to burning Aquaman with fire, heh :allears:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I didn't see it mentioned in Gavok's writeup, but one fun fact about Scorpion is that Ed Boon actually provided the voice initially, and I think he still provides the voice for at least the "GET OVER HERE" sound clip. He received an award from the Guinness Book of World Records when MK9 was in development for being the "longest tenured video game voice actor in a single role".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Why does DC keep letting Jim Lee redesign things, he's awful at it. The man's an artist, not a fashion designer.

Oh well, looks fun as hell to play, and it'll be nice to have another character who feels like he actually moves fast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

SCORPION

Time to explain Scorpion to people who... don't... know comics? Well, this is awkward.

I should point out that it's implied in MK9 that the reason he never broke ranks with Quan Chi is partly because of the shame he felt at not being able to stay his hand (despite Raiden promising to petition the Elder Gods to resurrect his clan if he spared Sub-Zero) made him want to hide from the world, and partly due to the Lin Kuei cyborgs interrupting his match with Sub-Zero 2 just before what would likely have been the moment Scorpion realizes Sub Zero 2 is a good kid.

Unlike Injustice, MK9's story mode has a lot of clever character moments like that.

E: Whoops, double post.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 4, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gavok posted:

Sub-Zero (the original one) was the only one left capable of saving the world by getting his hands on a certain magical medallion. He took down Goro by himself and was then confronted by Scorpion. Rather than fight, he removed his mask and told him, "Yeah, I killed you back in the day, but that was fair and square and you had an honorable death. If you're still mad about that, then tough poo poo. I'm-a go save the world. Peace." Scorpion just shrugged and spat fire onto him. Sub-Zero crawled over and grabbed the medallion while dying from being on fire because he's badass like that.

Man. Scorpion's sort of a dick, isn't he.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Scorpion doesn't seem like he's going to play nice with Injustice's engine.
In pushblock MK9 you didn't have to worry about crossups because a button blocked both directions. In Injustice I'm worried that Scorpion can just blast combos off of an ultra-fast full screen cross-up. Aquaman may be dethroned by a 10$ DlC, and nothing will have changed about this company. Play hard, Play paid.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

The Gorp posted:

Scorpion doesn't seem like he's going to play nice with Injustice's engine.
In pushblock MK9 you didn't have to worry about crossups because a button blocked both directions. In Injustice I'm worried that Scorpion can just blast combos off of an ultra-fast full screen cross-up. Aquaman may be dethroned by a 10$ DlC, and nothing will have changed about this company. Play hard, Play paid.

Scorpion's teleport has always been unsafe as hell so don't worry about it.

PS: That's not what pushblock means. Pushblock is when your character shoves the other character away while blocking (while blocking press Meter Burn).

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Superman clearly blocks Scorpions teleport while ducking in the trailer, meaning the teleport is a mid instead of an overhead. Since holding down is sufficient to low block in Injustice, this means you won't have to guess a side to block random teleports. The teleport will be used as it was in MK9, to counter zoning or jumping on reaction and in combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
You forgot Scorpion in Legacy, where he basically just wants vengeance on Sub Zero because Quancher tricked him. Okay I guess that's the same plot.

You also forgot to mention that Hasashi is not a real name that anyone anywhere would ever have, and Boon and Co. just pulled it out of their rear end because it sounded asian-y.

Finally, Scorpion is amazing and will be amazing in this game, because he is Scorpion. Injustice: Gods Among Us - Scorpion Appreciation Station

• Locked thread