Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

greatn posted:

At this point I think there easily are about three or four really good games worth owning no matter what your tastes are.

And you should note many of the launch ports are price reduced on the eShop right now.

ZombiU, and a few DS and Wii sequels don't qualify as killer apps or system sellers worthy of making the $400 investment.

Give me a Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Zelda, or SSBB and i'll be interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I'm a little surprised it didn't launch with either of those titles.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
While early on I felt maybe the WiiU would be Nintendo's Dreamcast, the Xbone reveal told me that there's going to be one Dreamcast this generation and it isn't going to be Nintendo's console.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I don't own any Microsoft consoles so it's not like I have a horse in that race, but I don't believe the major third-parties will ever ditch Microsoft or Sony at this point. As dire as the Xbox One reveal was, I think the console will still do pretty well - better than the Dreamcast did, at least.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The Dreamcast wasn't being pitched as something as user-unfriendly or foreign hostile as the Xbone is being promoted as though. It's kind of shocking if people still buy it.

LDometriax
May 31, 2012
To answer your question, No.

The Wii U is about to have it's Christmas in 5 months, and the price will more than likely drop on it right around Thanksgiving or it will have a bundle that moves units.

Kids love the Wii.

Families love the Wii.

Nintendo has the 3DS (the new money printer for Nintendo) which is leading in sales right now btw globally. It also has the top selling video game globally.

http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2013/Global/

Nintendo is suffering from their own success... again. It doesn't matter though, they still dominate the portable market and if you ask me, that's where the money is at in video games these days. It's either an iOS game an Android Game or a 3DS game.

Nobody cares if your favorite console has better graphics.

Nobody cares if your games are more adult.

Mass Appeal = Money.

Deal with it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LDometriax posted:

The Wii U is about to have it's Christmas in 5 months, and the price will more than likely drop on it right around Thanksgiving or it will have a bundle that moves units.

Kids love the Wii.

Families love the Wii.

Nintendo has the 3DS (the new money printer for Nintendo) which is leading in sales right now btw globally. It also has the top selling video game globally.

Nintendo is suffering from their own success... again. It doesn't matter though, they still dominate the portable market and if you ask me, that's where the money is at in video games these days. It's either an iOS game an Android Game or a 3DS game.

Mass Appeal = Money.

Deal with it.

Someday people will stop quoting VGChartz. Someday.

(VGChartz makes up their numbers. Literally makes 'em right up.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ImpAtom posted:

Someday people will stop quoting VGChartz. Someday.

(VGChartz makes up their numbers. Literally makes 'em right up.)

I don't know if that's the worst part of that post

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

LDometriax posted:

Kids love the Wii.

Families love the Wii.

Mass Appeal = Money.

Deal with it.

Luckily no one asked you. Also, how can you say that people love the Wii U when it's kinda struggling right now??? How can you say it has mass appeal??? Admitting that the Wii U is kind of a bust is not the same thing as saying "gently caress Nintendo and gently caress the Wii U idiot!"

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I have no idea if that was even in reply to me or just random rambling.

EDIT: vvvvv Derp, that'd make more sense.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 4, 2013

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mordaedil posted:

I have no idea if that was even in reply to me or just random rambling.

In response to the thread title

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

LDometriax posted:

Kids love the Wii.

Families love the Wii.

Do they know about the Wii U?

No.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ChocNitty posted:

ZombiU, and a few DS and Wii sequels don't qualify as killer apps or system sellers worthy of making the $400 investment.

Give me a Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Zelda, or SSBB and i'll be interested.

He already has a WiiU though. If you already have one, there are games worth having.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

LDometriax posted:

The Wii U is about to have it's Christmas in 5 months

The system was released on November 18, 2012 in North America, November 30, 2012 in Europe and Australia, and on December 8, 2012 in Japan.

Christmas is an annual commemoration of the birth of Jesus Christ and a widely observed holiday, celebrated generally on December 25.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

The system was released on November 18, 2012 in North America, November 30, 2012 in Europe and Australia, and on December 8, 2012 in Japan.

Christmas is an annual commemoration of the birth of Jesus Christ and a widely observed holiday, celebrated generally on December 25.

Yeah but Nintendo didn't want to make any money on that Christmas. They only ever intended to make money on this Christmas. It's a pretty obvious retail strategy.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Uhh can't you read? Nintendo is having it's Christmas in 5 months. IT'S. That's like.. really good numbers and things right there. Deal with it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
June + 1 = July
June +2 = August
June +3 = September
June +4 = October
June +5 = November

Most Christmas shopping begins in November. I'm not sure what your point was.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Most Christmas shopping begins in November. I'm not sure what your point was.

Birthday. He meant birthday, not Christmas. A thing doesn't have its own Christmas. Christmas is wholly outside of its existence.

The WiiU will soon be one year old and it feels like it's been with us never!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well it was a preemie.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

Birthday. He meant birthday, not Christmas. A thing doesn't have its own Christmas. Christmas is wholly outside of its existence.

The WiiU will soon be one year old and it feels like it's been with us never!
The Vita came out at the end of 2011!

People are celebrating the fact that the WiiU and Vita are not really taking off for some reason, but everyone is assuming the Xbox and PS4 are gonna come out and sell billions because they just will. At this point I'm starting to think both of them are going to have weak launches too, although probably not as weak as the Wii U.

Safety Scissors posted:

As someone who owns a Wii U, I'd say the biggest problem is the games. I don't actually have any Wii U games for my Wii U. I've just been playing regular Wii games since I never owned a Wii. Since I know I'll be getting Bayonetta 2, the monolith game, and maybe Pikmin or Zelda, for me it will be worth it. If I had already owned a Wii, I literally wouldn't be able to play more games by buying a Wii U.

That's a pretty big problem for a gaming system!

The problem with this logic (it'll get games) is that by the time the games you want are actually out the system could have had a pricedrop/revision. I'll never buy a game system again unless there are games I want to play on it right that minute.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
As many stated, I think only time will tell if the Wii U is a success. A success in our eyes though? That'll remain to be known. The Wii was a success from a sales perspective, but by quantity of quality games? Nope. I still like the Wii. I think it had some great unknown gems, but I'd be insane if I said it was better than any of the other consoles released during its life cycle.

Anyway... I have a Wii U. I think it's a neat little toy, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed I bought it. I like the future of the VC (Erfbownd, yo), but the actual games out are meh. Zombii U is good, but that's literally all I have on it right now. I've not even turned it on in months. I don't want Monster Hunter because I already have it on the Wii.

To the future? Well, looking bad as well. Pikmin 3 is all I am excited about. I'm tired of the "but we have another Mario, Zelda, and Smash game coming!" argument. I don't care anymore. I'm tired of playing them, especially when they are rehashes of the last five you shelled out. Stop remaking Ocarina of Time. I've never even cared about Smash. I thought Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 were superb, but if more of the 2.5D Marios are what Nintendo has in store then count me out there too.

As I said, a lot of this has already been stated in the thread. I'm coming from a little bit of buyer's remorse, and a little worried about the future of a company that I think is way far behind the times and too stubborn to change because they think they can just keep on striving with what worked two decades ago. Sorry Nintendo, but you aren't king of the industry anymore. Learn online gaming, learn how to make your consoles be more intuitive, and stop catering to the same four franchises. You'll die.

If Nintendo wants to rely on their existing franchises, then go back to ones you haven't touched in some time! The NES and SNES are ripe with series that have died but were loved. I hope they don't see the failure of Banjo: Nuts and Bolts to be an indicator of future success since drat if I didn't love that game.

Beanboy
Apr 6, 2004
People keep saying Nintendo is waiting to have this marketing blitz or resurgence of the Wii U, but I just don't understand when it's going to come. In just a few more months they'll be caught in the marketing blitz of the PS4 and XBone which have a lot more heat going for them. The general press isn't going to cover the Wii U again, they already DID. How are they going to stand out then? A minor price drop and one major game aren't going to do it at this point. It would have done something months ago. I think the only hope is a major price cut, and even that is dicey.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

People are celebrating the fact that the WiiU and Vita are not really taking off for some reason, but everyone is assuming the Xbox and PS4 are gonna come out and sell billions because they just will.

Nobody's celebrating it, everybody wants the WiiU to do well. How do people consistently get that wrong?

Regardless, the WiiU has enough problems that you can't just try to handwave its failure away as "Well the console market in general is in a slump". We'll know more about the PS4 and Xbone soon enough, and if there's a Call of Duty or Halo game releasing anywhere within 1 year of the consoles it'd be a poor bet to say that they're not going to sell a magnitude more than the WiiU has.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Price estimates for the next gen consoles: Xbox One $399 undiscounted, PS4 $349. The Wii U's going to have to take a massive price cut or it's dead in the water.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

CapnAndy posted:

Price estimates for the next gen consoles: Xbox One $399 undiscounted, PS4 $349. The Wii U's going to have to take a massive price cut or it's dead in the water.

Michael Pachter is very, very often wrong. However, if those are the right prices then the Wii U is gonna get slaughtered this Christmas.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Crowbear posted:

Michael Pachter is very, very often wrong. However, if those are the right prices then the Wii U is gonna get slaughtered this Christmas.

But when he is right boy does he like to tell you so!

Anyway, yeah... the Wii U needs to go the route of the 3DS and announce a price cut alongside a "We are sorry we messed up here are some free VC games". It worked once, why not again?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Vrikkian posted:

Anyway, yeah... the Wii U needs to go the route of the 3DS and announce a price cut alongside a "We are sorry we messed up here are some free VC games". It worked once, why not again?

Because the PS4 and Xbone are probably going to be slightly stiffer competition than the Vita.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Fortunately, seeing who wrote that article, we can say firmly that those are the two prices the X-Box One and PS4 will most certainly NOT be.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
What if Nintendo decided to take one for the team and eat a significant price cut? $400-$500 for PS4 and XBoxOne and $250 for Wii U, with Super Mario Galaxy 3 and Mario Kart released at the same time?

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Crowbear posted:

Because the PS4 and Xbone are probably going to be slightly stiffer competition than the Vita.

Agreed, but they need everything possible to keep up the pace until their software -hopefully- comes along.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Fortunately, seeing who wrote that article, we can say firmly that those are the two prices the X-Box One and PS4 will most certainly NOT be.

I do expect to see $399 to be the limit for the XB1/PS4. However as people said above if they happen to manage a $349 or even with a $199 with a 2 year sub. Nintendo is hosed and HAS to drop the price almost immediately to sell for holiday season.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

What if Nintendo decided to take one for the team and eat a significant price cut? $400-$500 for PS4 and XBoxOne and $250 for Wii U, with Super Mario Galaxy 3 and Mario Kart released at the same time?

They would be taking a pretty huge loss selling it at $250. They would definitely sell a lot more consoles, but their fiscal report next year would be brutal.

e: It looks like the Wii U is getting 0 licensed Soccer games this year. Fifa is already skipping it, and PES 2014 was just announced for PS3, 360, PC, and PSP(:psyduck:)

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 4, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Fallom posted:

Nobody's celebrating it, everybody wants the WiiU to do well. How do people consistently get that wrong?

I chalk it up to goon snark, and Games has some of the thickest goon snark on this website :v: That said, I think it's valuable for consoles to fail in some regards so long as it ultimately doesn't destroy the console's maker. The 3DS before and after the Ambassador program is a good example, or even how much the PS3 has changed over its lifespan. Those "failures" ultimately end up benefiting the consumer.

CapnAndy posted:

If those are the prices on the new consoles then I think we're all in for a letdown with regards to how next-gen games look or how complex they are under the hood. That said Nintendo does need a price cut soon, I'd be all over a Deluxe set at $200 or even $250. If the next consoles do release north of $400 it would be extremely savvy on Nintendo's part to do even a small price cut on the WiiU. People are going to have new consoles on their minds when the PS4 and XBone drop, what better way for Nintendo to set themselves apart by taking the role of the affordable next-gen console this holiday? They may even have actual games to warrant buying a console in the first place by then :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crowbear posted:

They would be taking a pretty huge loss selling it at $250. They would definitely sell a lot more consoles, but their fiscal report next year would be brutal.

Most importantly, it doesn't seem likely that Nintendo would be able to move enough games to make up the loss on consoles with revenue from game sales there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fallom posted:

Man, we've had people in this very thread flat-out say they want Nintendo to fail, either because they think that means they'll start going third party or because they dislike the company. You're underestimating how deeply people get entrenched in the console war.

zarron posted:

I do expect to see $399 to be the limit for the XB1/PS4. However as people said above if they happen to manage a $349 or even with a $199 with a 2 year sub. Nintendo is hosed and HAS to drop the price almost immediately to sell for holiday season.

If Microsoft shoves their system out the door at $200, they've basically won unless their system sets children on fire, but it seems unlikely.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

C-Euro posted:

If those are the prices on the new consoles then I think we're all in for a letdown with regards to how next-gen games look or how complex they are under the hood.

The prices don't matter, we already know how capable the other consoles will be because unlike Nintendo Sony and Microsoft aren't afraid to give out hardware specs.

Install Gentoo posted:

Most importantly, it doesn't seem likely that Nintendo would be able to move enough games to make up the loss on consoles with revenue from game sales there.

Yeah, they already need multiple game sells to make up for the loss on hardware. Cutting another $100 off the console price would mean it would take an age for them to recoup the loss.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Considering Kinect itself sells for over $100 already (not even counting the fact that the new Kinect is supposedly a big upgrade tech wise) I can't see the Xbone selling for less than $450 unless Microsoft are willing to take a huge loss on each sale.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

If Microsoft shoves their system out the door at $200, they've basically won unless their system sets children on fire, but it seems unlikely.

If MS manages to get their console under $400 without taking massive losses that will haunt that console for the rest of its life, I'm willing to call them witches. If the WiiU costs 300 bucks, there's no way on earth the PS4 and XBone are gonna be less.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't understand how the WiiU is so expensive to produce. Or how the Gamepad is so expensive to produce. The screen it is using is ancient. I know it's filled with tech baubles but still how in the world is one of those things supposed to cost around $150. The 3ds costs less than that to make, and has nearly as many if not more baubles, plus actual processors and graphics chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I was thinking about them cutting the basic to $250 but I forgot that one isn't selling even compared to the deluxe. I guess a $300 deluxe bundle with Mario Kart is more likely.

• Locked thread