Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Barfoid 3 posted:

BOSTON

There's for sure a face under the bird perch on the left side.

It's a pigs head, thought to be a reference to the Porcellian Club.

Edit: Or do you mean beneath the pig's head? Hm. It's not terribly distinct, but ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Barfoid 3 posted:

BOSTON

There's for sure a face under the bird perch on the left side.

I don't know about that one, unless the face is supposed to be Borat. Don't forget we humans are programmed to see faces amongst random noise.

I did have a thought supporting the Charlesgate theory of Boston.

"Near those
Who pass the coliseum
With metal walls"

This could certainly refer to Fenway Park. Fenway is a coliseum in the sense that people gather there to watch sport, and its exterior is made of sheet metal. "Those who pass" refers to those who drive on the Mass Turnpike, which passes right by Fenway and intersects the overpass at Charlesgate.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Delthalaz posted:

Welp, that guy also made stained glass here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Transfiguration,_Episcopal_(Manhattan

including one image of (gasp) Edwin Booth as Hamlet

That greco-roman roof resembles the gap in the Liberty lady's right-arm, as does the roof of the NYPL to be honest. Maybe there are more stained glass windows in that area?

Well your on to something.

Can we possibly get a translation of the text on that window? May other windows in the building?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

hippieman posted:

NYC

I've been thinking about the NYC image, and how the robes could still be Manhattan.

The NYC Subway maps are not drawn to scale. They exaggerate and rotate Manhattan to fit in all the lines. I'm trying to look for 1970s or 1980s map. I think most New Yorkers know the shape of the island from the Subway map not a geographically accurate map.

I'm using this site to see if there's a Subway map that matches the Statue's dress better:

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Historical_Maps

It seems to me that Google Maps is a very accurate map to use, but I feel like the author would of used the information available at the time, and Subway maps are everywhere.

Yeah pretty sure that wont work.

Butthead
May 31, 2011
Milwaukee...

There are a couple of things about the photo that I think need to be figured out before the treasure can be found.

First, what are the balls that are being juggled? Apples, oranges, orbs? What are these:

Next, the design in the cape isn't by accident. What does this represent:

Last, there is something up with the lady's hair. I see what could be an "M" or "III" symbol, along with what could be a "W" or something else. This could possibly just represent Milwaukee in general and nothing more specific:

e: Also, I don't understand ascending 92 steps AFTER climbing the grand 200. If city hall has just 200 steps, how do you climb 92 steps after climbing all 200?

Butthead fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 4, 2013

NoSoup4U
Dec 28, 2000

bike bike bike bike bike

Essential posted:

San Francisco

Well, I couldn't let the idea go of it being somewhere at the Legion of Honor so I did a little more digging. It turns out the Legion of Honor was founded by Napoleon Bonaparte. Napoleon's first wife went by the name 'Rose', however he didn't like that name so he had her change it to "Joséphine". Note in the picture the rose with the "J" shaped stem. So maybe, there is a double meaning there "Rose = June Flower" : "Rose = Joséphine" ...

Here's another possibility pointing to the Legion Honor. I rode through there on a bike tour in 2010 and managed a grand total of three photos, including this one:

Compare the spiral in the lower left to that of the rose:

Also, any meaning in the orientation of the rose leaves? Left-right-left?

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RadioPassive posted:

It's a pigs head, thought to be a reference to the Porcellian Club.

Edit: Or do you mean beneath the pig's head? Hm. It's not terribly distinct, but ok.

WHa? I dont see a pigs head. Where?

This a face though dawg.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Pig:

Rydalia
Aug 17, 2004
I didn't call in sick!
SAN FRANCISCO

San Francisco Goon checking in!

I live walking distance away from the park so I can possibly check it out and take pics this weekend. My other puzzle loving friend who lives nearby (also a goon) is interested but has a baby so I might not be able to get him to go out. EDIT: He is all in!

I have a strong feeling its in Golden Gate Park somewhere roughly near-ish the Japanese Tea Garden/De YoungMuseum/ Academy of Sciences.
Are we sure what poem goes with SF yet? Verse 7 "The air smells sweet" made me think of the Golden Gate Park Rose Garden (Also right next to the Japanese Tea Garden) but someone already pointed it out. It could mean the conservatory of flowers, but that is further away and I'm not familiar with that area as much.

Verse 6 made me think of the outdoor stage between the two museums, called Spreckles Temple of Music according to google maps.

Looking around on street view, there are a bunch of palm trees "Beside the long palm's shadow" planted in this area in front of the Museum too!

The table in the painting looks very close to the old lamp posts in the park, but these are all over the city too.

For goons asking about the Lincoln highway, it's sort of nearby and there's a tiny historical marker at the nearby bus stop.
Here's a pic of the one near my house but I don't think it will help.

If it is buried in the Japanese Tea Garden, we are hosed b/c it's private property and there's no way they'd let you dig there (you pay admission).

I am a little reluctant to go digging until a we have a better pinpoint on the location, since I will most likely get in trouble digging in Golden Gate Park. And this specific area of the park is loaded with tourists on the weekends.

There are also a fuckton of statues and tiny lakes/ponds in Golden Gate Park. I tried matching the negative space on the left side of the woman to a map but no luck so far.

I've spent too much time on this now but hopefully that helps!

Rydalia fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 4, 2013

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Cask 10

At its southern foot The treasure waits.

Wouldn't that mean it's right near the base of the tower here?

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lol. I dont think so. Can any space goons get a read on the constellation that's depicted in the window behind the lady? And have any herbologist goons determined the type of flower?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Kingnothing posted:

Well your on to something.

Can we possibly get a translation of the text on that window? May other windows in the building?

I found this in an article about the the glass, it's a quote from Hamlet:

"As one in suffering all
That suffers nothing
A man that fortune's
buffets and rewards
Hast ta'en with equal thanks
Hamlet"

Anyhow, this doesn't help at all unless there are connections other than the glass being made by a guy who made glass which resembles the stuff in our image. Apparently in the 19th century you couldn't spit without hitting something Booth-related in New York

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Charleston, SC

I have to run off to bed, so I've got make this quick. But I want to offer an alternative to the Fort Sumter hypothesis for Charleston. That ornament/face thing definitely looks just like Fort Sumter, but that could just be a clue to Charleston in general, as Sumter is its most famous landmark. Take a look at this for a moment:

See that shadowed line that I've circled that goes into that map of Charleston? See where it ends?

It looks to me like it points to or runs along the edge of that little piece of land right there in the center of Charleston. That little piece of land is place called Hampton Park. And where it may have still been difficult in the early 80s to bury something at a monument like Fort Sumter, it may have been much easier at park that they were trying to renovate and re-invigorate at the time.

Important things to note: this park is very old. Pre-Civil War (as is a lot of stuff in Charleston). If you take Verse 5 into account as the matching verse, this particular park bordered the Citadel. After it was a park, it became a zoo for much of the twentieth century. A zoo which very famously had a lion. It was then turned back into a park in the late 70s.

I'm just saying, in a cursory glance there's a lot here to suggest to me that Hampton Park could be the place. More as I investigate further.

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax
BOSTON

There are alot of circles in the pic and the star, to me seems significant. I can't tell sometimes what is an orb and what is a speck of dust from the scan, but I have made the below image to highlight the circle theme.

Smokey Blue
Jun 18, 2005

Domo arigato Mr. Anubis
This may be just longshot, but I think Cask 7 matches to Verse 2, and it's actually pointing to Washington, DC. Specifically near the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

For the Verse

At the place where jewels abound - Not sure on this one

Fifteen rows down to the ground - Directions in the area?

In the middle of twenty-one - Reference to the 21 Gun Salute? Also, from Wikipedia:

quote:

There is a meticulous routine which the guard follows when watching over the graves.[23] The Tomb Guard:

Marches 21 steps south down the black mat laid across the Tomb.
Turns and faces east, toward the Tomb, for 21 seconds.
Turns and faces north, changes weapon to outside shoulder, and waits 21 seconds.
Marches 21 steps down the mat.
Turns and faces east for 21 seconds.
Turns and faces south, changes weapon to outside shoulder, and waits 21 seconds.
Repeats the routine until the soldier is relieved of duty at the Changing of the Guard.

From end to end
Only three stand watch - Guards of the tomb

As the sound of friends
Fills the afternoon hours - Tourists

Here is a sovereign people
Who build palaces to shelter
Their heads for a night! - The tombs in the cemetery

Gnomes admire
Fays delight - People coming to see the ceremonies

The namesakes meeting
Near this site. - Presidential Burials

For the picture

- The shape at the top of the clock looks like the main entrance to the cemetery.

-The year 1929 along the top of the dial. From Wikipedia:
-An appropriation from Congress for the work was secured and on December 21, 1929, a contract for completion of the Tomb itself was entered into.
-President Herbert Hoover conducted the first national Memorial Day ceremony in Arlington National Cemetery, on May 30, 1929

-The word 'Preservation'
It's a memorial. Preserve history and all that.

-The white mask
- Signifying an unknown identity

And for my least plausible evidence, the clock hands.

In the green you can see a 3 and 8. In the red you can a mirrored Zeta, which represents 7 in the Greek alphabet. Guess what's located at 38N 77W? The Arlington Cemetery.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

StinkyMeat posted:

Neat! This window by LaFarge is from the church of St. Paul the Apostle in Manhattan:

Not sure if it means anything, but like Essential said, it's fun to learn.

Hmmmm... cool art deco bird and lion on the front of the building.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Smokey Blue posted:

In the green you can see a 3 and 8. In the red you can a mirrored Zeta, which represents 7 in the Greek alphabet. Guess what's located at 38N 77W? The Arlington Cemetery.

I think we can probably rule out Byron Preiss sneaking into Arlington Cemetery in the middle of the night to bury a cookie jar.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Delthalaz posted:

Can we get a better pic of that? That head looks spot on.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands

Kingnothing posted:

Can we get a better pic of that? That head looks spot on.

Although the eagle in the painting has an open mouth. Regarding the eagle, I've noticed that the wing and the tail have a very similar repeating design. At first I thought they were all 3's:

But now I think there's more to it. The pair of "3's" on the tail seem to be oriented the same as the two "3's" on the wing. Also, the lower 2 appendages of BOTH lower "3's" have the same two dark relief lines.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

The front of The Metropolitan Opera

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Cask 10 - Milwaukee

:siren:Wall of Text Incoming!:siren:

I've spent the past three days doing as much online research as I possibly could and hopefully this week, I will be actually on foot/bike taking photos. Most of the below I figured out from piecing together the few bits we've had in this thread along with some online digging so, apologies if this has been covered in some super-secret Internets forum and I'm just reiterating old news.

Here is my interpretation of the poem thus far:

These first few lines I feel simply describe the general area and might not possibly indicate a specific "starting point". Rather, it describes the area only.

View the three stories of Mitchell
Alexander Mitchell (grand-father of Billy Mitchell) was a very important dude apparently. He was three things: A financier, a railroad tycoon, and a congressman. He also built two buildings. The Mitchell Building (his home) and the Mackie Building which is adjacent to his home. He also was president of the Wisconsin Marine and Fire Insurance Co Bank which is located on the river very near the other two buildings. All three are so close to each other you should be able to see them all from a high enough point.
They are located on Wisconsin Ave which was also known as "Grand Avenue" (see further notes below)
Also, the Mitchell Building became home to the Deutsche Club and then later the Wisconsin Club. (German theme?)
They are all nearby the City Hall depicted in the painting which, if any has doubts, is a perfect representation of the Milwaukee City Hall viewed from a specific angle. No doubt in my mind the painting is of Milwaukee, WI when I saw it.

As you walk the beating of the world
This has me stumped a bit but two possible theories are A) the railroad tracks (Mitchell) run parallel just south of Wisconsin avenue and have a "beating-like" sound because of the trains. or B) a bigger stretch but, in 1982 supposedly when he was traveling, The Brewers were playing the World Series. They didn't win but, "beating the world" is certainly plausible for a description. It happens to be along the same railroad and the old Milwaukee County Stadium is also near the area.
I don't think it is the river specifically. River's don't beat. The only thing I can think of is waterfall or waves. As far as walking the "beat" I suppose is possible but, how does it relate to "of the world"? (Note: it's often mentioned Water Street and if Preiss is referring to walking a street "beat", this does tie into the fact the Mitchell buildings are along Water Street and is a good, sound theory). All of this is kinda moot in my eyes because, again.. just describing the same area.

At a distance in time
I tried thinking in terms of seconds, minutes, or hours as they measure time. As far as a reference to a clock? Eh. It's a bit stretchy and seems very amateur of a way to describe a clock tower. There is also the term "Arrow of time" and by another stretch Red Arrow Park is next to the City Hall depicted in the picture. My thoughts to the meaning though, are related to the following verse...

From three who lived there
Kilbourn, Juneau, and shortly after Walker founded Milwaukee. The settled the same area I described above. I think the "time" indicates you can view the "three stories of Mitchell" after time (many years) elapses. They settled along the river on the three opposite sides of each other. The City Hall is roughly center.

At a distance in space
From woman, with harpsichord
Silently playing
Following the same thoughts as the previous verses, the "three stories" are visible from space (physical distance) from the Pabst Mansion where the woman with the harp is playing silently. There is a building obstructing view from both the Pabst Mansion AND the City Hall though. Thus, I am not 100% sure about this. maybe he means after traveling a distance towards them?

Other notes I have are that a sculpture called "The Space Game" was erected in 1982 in Menomonee Valley which just so happens is along (ding ding) the railroad tracks of Mitchell's famed railroad biz and only a stone's throw directly south of the area described above. I don't think this is relevant though.

Also, space is measured in "light years" and there is a "Light House" for a bigger stretch theory. This last note just had me wondering if there is a "connect the dots" type layout between all these landmarks buuuuuuut, I'm not banking on any of it.

Regarding all of the above, I think he is clearly describing the center of Milwaukee. Is it for a starting point or just to help tie it to the photo? I don't think it has to be a starting point. In fact, the following verses could be entirely outside of the above area and we are supposed to begin our journey using some key in the photo (which may happen to be in the area).

Step on nature
Most likely a city park. No other thoughts on this.

Cast in copper
Everyone thinks it's Lincoln Memorial Drive. It might be. I won't disregard it but, could it also not mean "cast a penny into a fountain"? I have more on this below simply because the rest of my theory doesn't relate too well with Lincoln Mem Dr. It could also be tied to the above verse in such a way you step on a copper cast tile or something which resembles a nature scene or object. I am going with "we have to find a park with a fountain".

Ascend the 92 steps
I take this verbatim a climbing of steps and 92 being very specific as to how many. There are many many many steps in this city and I would imagine there are a few that equate to 92. The city hall is confirmed to have 92 steps leading up it but, what about after?

After climbing the grand 200
Ok this is where I am completely lost. It was mentioned several pages ago that the full count of steps up city hall is 200 and I'll follow that theory a bit only because it is all I have to go on that is confirmed. The other option is that the word "grand" is used. Grand Avenue just happens to be what the street of Wisconsin Avenue was called and the Grand Avenue Mall opened in guess what... 1982. It's on the 200 block. Now, that's a stretch and there are a few buildings on the 200 block but, who knows. I'm getting all Da Vinci Code at this point and grasping at anything I can think is a possibility simply because the remaining verses seem wildly out of context of the area. My question is, why have us climb all the way up and then back down again? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Pass the compass and reach
Could be anything but it is very note-worthy that across the city and along Lincoln Mem Dr is the North Point Lighthouse edit:ugh I meant "Water Tower" .and the park it is situated near which resembles the biggest structure that resembles a compass. Water Tower being the "N" of the compass. Most likely, it's much simpler. Probably a design too small for any googling to reveal. Again, I am avoiding Lincoln Mem Dr at the moment because the description of climbing steps just doesn't seem possible to find out exactly without digging up pre-renovation maps of the area. Non-Milwaukeeans or young-Milwaukeeans need to understand half the Art Museum area and several buildings, bridges, and walkways along the drive seen on Google are new. My memory is hazy but I don't remember 200 steps. Maybe 92 but, not 200. Maybe I'll head up to the Historical Society and get some 1980s maps to double-check.

The foot of the culvert
Very specific. A culvert is basically a small bridge or waterway underneath a walkway. I take this as not being an actual "bridge" only because the next verse states "bridge" very clearly as if the culvert is underneath a bigger "bridge".

Below the bridge
Well. It's below a bridge. Simple and easy.

Walk 100 paces
Ok poo poo, now were talking! it's roughly what.. 200 to 250 feet. Ok!

Southeast over rock and soil
poo poo poo poo poo poo. Ok, now of all the locations I can think of not being along Lincoln Mem Drive, "Rock and Soil" are more than a few hundred paces except the aforementioned Red Arrow Park by others pages ago. The interesting thing about Red Arrow Park, by the way, is that although it has a skating rink now and a few other sculptures, pre-1990s it may have had a fountain. *I think* I can't confirm it but, I think the rink was placed over it. However, Red Arrow Park is due north of City Hall and certainly NOT 100 paces southeast of any bridge or past any compass that I know of.

To the first young birch
Birch Tree. I think we can safely assume. If it's even still there. Birch trees are notorious for dying early around here and in 1982 I was 6 years old living at a house with a tiny birch tree which is now long dead and gone. This doesn't make things easy.

Pass three, staying west
I assume pass three trees although I could also assume pass 3 objects. I don't think it means pass three streets or buildings because the distance above to get you to the tree is just too drat small a distance to suddenly send one wildly off into the city.

You'll see a letter from the country
Could be letter as in Alphabetical or an actual written note.

Of wonderstone's hearth
Wonderstone is as most all agree, rhyolite. Rhyolite is volcanic and erupts from a earthly furnace of lava. Germany happens to a major contributor of rhyolite to the world. (German theme again?)

On a proud, tall fifth
I take this as a numerical indicator. I.e. there are five of something and the one with the Germanic 'letter' is the key.

At its southern foot
The treasure waits.
and Fin.

OK, as far as to the theories I've been reading in this thread prior, I think Red Arrow Park and Pere Marquette are very promising. I lean towards Pere Marquette simply because it is below a very, very famous bridge. Watch Making of Milwaukee to learn more. As far as the North Point theory... ehhhh... the directions are all reverse. And much of that area has been re-done. I guess I mean the area 100 paces southeast of it. I don't think the actual lighthouse was renovated in the past 30 years but, I can't confirm that.

Speaking of re-done. Milwaukee has been very good about renovating parks. Almost enough that I have very few feelings the cask is either still in place let alone in tact. I actually hope I am way off and it's in one of the major parks along the lake along some wooded area simply because those areas are rarely disturbed.

edit: I'm an idiot and getting buildings confused.

crashdome fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 4, 2013

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

kazmeyer posted:

I think we can probably rule out Byron Preiss sneaking into Arlington Cemetery in the middle of the night to bury a cookie jar.

Some of that stuff is pretty compelling though, not bad research. The poem itself is mostly a stretch but I do like the 1928 connection and the shape of it.

Delthalaz posted:

This bird's too different, also this is pretty much why I said the building having an arch in and of itself is proof of nothing. That's just NY architecture.

Join Us!
Mar 16, 2008

Why not?

Athanatos posted:

Cask 10

At its southern foot The treasure waits.

Wouldn't that mean it's right near the base of the tower here?

I would believe so. Earlier everything was looking like trees and it seemed nobody had analyzed the flower in the drawing. When another goon pointed out that each birthstone also associated with a birthflower, it seemed that I might have been sniffing down the wrong path. Regardless, the types of flowers I was talking about exist just across the street from that exact spot.

acmpsu posted:

Last, there is something up with the lady's hair. I see what could be an "M" or "III" symbol, along with what could be a "W" or something else. This could possibly just represent Milwaukee in general and nothing more specific:

e: Also, I don't understand ascending 92 steps AFTER climbing the grand 200. If city hall has just 200 steps, how do you climb 92 steps after climbing all 200?

I believe that those lines are talking about the docks in the bay in Milwaukee. Over the course of 30 years, there were bound to be more and change in shape and size.

This place

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Or M like the M in the old Brewers logo with a Wi for Wisconsin maybe?

crashdome fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 4, 2013

Apr 4, 2004

by T. Finninho
Since everything has to be assumed intentional, what could the importance of the incomplete arch be? Racking my brain here and I can't imagine it's a mistake.

E: The stained glass areas actually remind me of lizard skin. Maybe iguana-ish.

56k fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 4, 2013

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
Cask 1/San Francisco

Rydalia posted:

Are we sure what poem goes with SF yet?
Nope, unfortunately.

quote:

Looking around on street view, there are a bunch of palm trees "Beside the long palm's shadow" planted in this area in front of the Museum too!
Those palm trees look really young. Not that I'm a palm tree expert or anything, but I don't think they could have been there 30 years ago. I'm really excited about your other ideas, though. I'm so jealous of everyone who gets to search these places in person, instead of with Flickr and Google Maps. Golden Gate Park has a Moon-Viewing Garden within the Mid-Temperate Climate garden, as well as a "moon bridge" in the Japanese Tea Garden. I think those might be worth checking out, what with all the moons at the top of the SF illustration. Although, the moons might actually be balls from one of the park's many spaces to play sports.

quote:

I am a little reluctant to go digging until a we have a better pinpoint on the location, since I will most likely get in trouble digging in Golden Gate Park. And this specific area of the park is loaded with tourists on the weekends.
Yeah, I don't think it's time to go digging yet. We need to be certain we have the right spot, and then get permission.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

SheepNameKiller posted:

Some of that stuff is pretty compelling though, not bad research. The poem itself is mostly a stretch but I do like the 1928 connection and the shape of it.

This bird's too different, also this is pretty much why I said the building having an arch in and of itself is proof of nothing. That's just NY architecture.

Yeah I don't know, I also can't think of anywhere in that area you could actually bury or hide something. Still, the stained glass is close.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Hi all -

I posted up the Lemontiger stuff, and I'm "White Rabbit" at Quest4Treasure. I thought I'd drop in here after a couple of folks emailed me about it, and it's a revelation...great going! It'll take me a while to catch up with all this. Just a quick thought on Roanoke:

Most of us at Q4T think it's somewhere in the area of this...

(A sign with two maps by White on the Harriot Trail with a view of the Wright Brothers "wing")

...or this...

The Water Gate at the Elizabethan Gardens.

A guy called Paul Kitchen put a fairly recent collection of Roanoke photos here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8079704@N04/collections/72157629176347805/

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Viking Blood posted:

Although the eagle in the painting has an open mouth. Regarding the eagle, I've noticed that the wing and the tail have a very similar repeating design. At first I thought they were all 3's:

But now I think there's more to it. The pair of "3's" on the tail seem to be oriented the same as the two "3's" on the wing. Also, the lower 2 appendages of BOTH lower "3's" have the same two dark relief lines.

I know I'm just trying to find things that fit the theory of the NYPL, but if you look 3 blocks east from where I think the casque is buried, the eagles of the Chrystler Building are clearly visible. The Gargoyles you can see are facing the same direction as the one in the mural as well.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Picture is from before the renovation in the 90s. I had a typo, I meant to say 11am, not noon. I realize it looks like some grassy knoll conspiracy poo poo but bare with me.

Archways of the NYPL look like the archway of the mural

The women above the archways are dressed in the same manner as the woman in the mural. Same stylistic folding of her gown. In the Mural she has the face of the statue of liberty, but this could simple signify New York in general. The central fold in her gown just below her abdomen is clearly in the shape of Manhattan.

Right below the paneled arch at the top of the mural, there is a second line. This feature was also on the northward facing windows of the NYPL in the 80s before the renovation.

De Silva's definitive biography is in 3 volumes

Compare this face with the one seen in the center of the woman's gown. Because in the end we are searching for gemstones, it may be of interest that De Silva was an expert in gemstones and minerals.

Before the renovation, the NYPL was noted for having turned a dingy grey color. It is a gigantic building

At 11am, the time described on the clock, the NYPL casts a shadow northward.

The Chrystler building is 3 blocks away from the location, looking southeast you can see the Eagle headed Gargoyles.

Directly north across the street from the location is an optometry school. The mural has color blind test looking panels.

Cars abound, it is right next to a road

The whirring sound could be sprinklers or lawn mowers from the park.

William Cullen Bryant was a Romantic Poet, the park is named after him. If you look up romantic in a thesaurus, Rhapsodic will probably be the result.

The woman is holding a chrysanthemum. Bryant park is known for its chrysanthemums in the fall.

Some folks think there is a 74 in the waves. The address on the street right next to the location is 74 west 42nd street.

Now I just need to figure out what the arm is, what the V is, and what the Branch is.

The V could be a five of course
The Branch could be a bank branch? There are banks nearby
The Arm could be a wing of a building? I am not sure. The statue of Bryant has never been moved, and it has an arm that extends forward, but not over a narrow path.

Alternative Theory!

We could assume that The arm is Bryant's statue's arm. This leads us to the northeast side of the building, past De Silva's plaque and statue. When we do this we are facing the school of optometry. If you then walk 22 paces somewhat eastward down 42nd street, you are directly across the street from a branch of M&T bank. If you look towards the NYPL, you are facing the middle of 5 windows. In the mural the gemstone is located at the foot of the window arch. There are flowers planted there.

As an aside, any talk of Ellis Island is right out, The park wasn't even open to the public until 1990.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 4, 2013

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011
I was just thinking about matching verses with pictures.

We keep coming across different numbers in the pictures, some we've been able to pinpoint and say "yes these are lat/long", and then we have some numbers left over.

Is it possible that a left over number could correspond with a verse?

So if we see a number "8" but not sure what it relates to, it could be verse 8.

Just a thought.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

crashdome posted:

Ascend the 92 steps
I take this verbatim a climbing of steps and 92 being very specific as to how many. There are many many many steps in this city and I would imagine there are a few that equate to 92. The city hall is confirmed to have 92 steps leading up it but, what about after?

That other forum connected the steps to a park:

http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/22148466/10_Link

I don't live in Milwaukee (or any of these places), so sadly, I can't confirm poo poo.

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
I spent 3 summers at the lost colony on roanoke island and have some personal theories. I've reached out to a friend still working there and will let you guys know if there's anything to it.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SheepNameKiller posted:

Cask 6

One thing to take into consideration is that google earth didn't exist at the time of the publication of this book, meaning if that is a top-down photo it had to have either been drawn from a helicopter or copied from an existing map of the park from that time period. I'd suspect the latter, so it would be worth looking at public records for maps of the park from the 80s and see if they share a similar geography to the picture.

Or he could have bought aerial photographs of the areas he needed. There were definitely commercial companies selling those back then.

Lypiphera
Dec 28, 2009
I live in the Greater Milwaukee Area if there aren't any goons here yet who are. I definitely have some ideas about the verse and the pic for the clue also.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

TotalHell posted:

Charleston, SC

I have to run off to bed, so I've got make this quick. But I want to offer an alternative to the Fort Sumter hypothesis for Charleston. That ornament/face thing definitely looks just like Fort Sumter, but that could just be a clue to Charleston in general, as Sumter is its most famous landmark. Take a look at this for a moment:

See that shadowed line that I've circled that goes into that map of Charleston? See where it ends?

It looks to me like it points to or runs along the edge of that little piece of land right there in the center of Charleston. That little piece of land is place called Hampton Park. And where it may have still been difficult in the early 80s to bury something at a monument like Fort Sumter, it may have been much easier at park that they were trying to renovate and re-invigorate at the time.

Important things to note: this park is very old. Pre-Civil War (as is a lot of stuff in Charleston). If you take Verse 5 into account as the matching verse, this particular park bordered the Citadel. After it was a park, it became a zoo for much of the twentieth century. A zoo which very famously had a lion. It was then turned back into a park in the late 70s.

I'm just saying, in a cursory glance there's a lot here to suggest to me that Hampton Park could be the place. More as I investigate further.

What you've circled and what is outlined in the art are way different locations. In the art, the outline doesn't even reach where the left hump is, nor does it reach where the bottom of the island is on the right. What you have circled is clearly above both of those.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Lypiphera posted:

I live in the Greater Milwaukee Area if there aren't any goons here yet who are. I definitely have some ideas about the verse and the pic for the clue also.

There's two or three that have gone out scouting in the City Hall/Red Arrow Park district, and about 10 different theories as to where it could be, none of which are that solid.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
How much would it cost to rent ground imaging radar for a day or two?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How much would it cost to rent ground imaging radar for a day or two?

Three dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

TotalHell posted:

Hampton Park

Yeah, I brought up Hampton Park as a possible location earlier in the thread. The curved line doesn't match up, but a fair number of other things do.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552196&pagenumber=13&perpage=40#post416068861

I don't think the lemontiger guess of Stella Maris on Sullivan's Island is right, because I've attended that church and the congregation is very protective of it, they wouldn't want to even chance having all kinds of people digging up the grounds. I definitely can't see the rector at the time (Father Connor) allowing it. None of the boxes were buried on private property without permission, were they?