Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I guess the folks at Vine decided releasing the app was more important than releasing it with the basic features. Apparently, things like search, hash tags, and mentions flat out haven't been included yet.

https://blog.twitter.com/2013/vine-android-every-robot-has-its-day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

XIII posted:

I guess the folks at Vine decided releasing the app was more important than releasing it with the basic features. Apparently, things like search, hash tags, and mentions flat out haven't been included yet.

The very first version of the app for iOS was like that too. I'm sure they'll implement this stuff fairly quickly.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

az jan jananam posted:

Android Pro Widgets has a quick add button on the calendar widget.

Thank you for this. I've used that to replace my Calender, Twitter and RSS reader widgets as well.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

XIII posted:

Cool.

"This app is incompatible with your RAZR MAXX HD."

Oh.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
Well that was a surprise - I thought Vine was for animated GIFs, didn't realize they could have audio.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

XIII posted:

At this point they made the right decision. Android users have been waiting long enough.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm sorry, but I could have waited a little longer for the ability to loving search. For a social application, not being able to actually find the people you want to follow makes things a little difficult.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Sobriquet posted:

Well that was a surprise - I thought Vine was for animated GIFs, didn't realize they could have audio.

Vine is awesome. I seriously missed it when I switched back to Android. I'm really glad I can upload dumb little videos again. Try making one, it's fun. You touch the screen to record and you can let go to stop and touch again to record something different. People make really cool stuff with it.

XIII posted:

I'm sorry, but I could have waited a little longer for the ability to loving search. For a social application, not being able to actually find the people you want to follow makes things a little difficult.

You can find your friends if you go to your profile and tap "find people". You can look up your contacts and Twitter friends.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

XIII posted:

Don't use it until they have search. It's that easy!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^I know I'm being grumpy over a free app that I will surely enjoy (and already am), but don't act like me (and others, I guarantee) being a bit annoyed that a pretty big feature isn't present is totally unreasonable.

the kawaiiest posted:

You can find your friends if you go to your profile and tap "find people". You can look up your contacts and Twitter friends.

Every time I try that, it just crashes and takes me back to the main page. I'm going to try clearing the app data. If that fails, maybe try a clean install.

Edit: no luck

XIII fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 3, 2013

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

XIII posted:

Every time I try that, it just crashes and takes me back to the main page. I'm going to try clearing the app data. If that fails, maybe try a clean install.

Edit: no luck

That's really weird and you should probably let them know. I had no problem at all finding my Twitter friends.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Rooster Brooster posted:

I think the new Duolingo app is great, but I really hate that it requires a connection to play. I get spotty connection in many places on the subway, which is prime language learning time during my commute.

Apparently the iPhone version has offline mode, so I'm hopeful that it'll make its way to android at some point.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

substitute posted:

Cool.

Oh.

Weird, its compatible with my OG Razr.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I can find my Twitter friends on Vine, but not my Contact List. My Twitter friends didn't show up in my feed until after I exited the application and then went back in. I cannot modify my profile and then save it. Just running it craps all over my phone, which is a GSM Galaxy Nexus.

For all of the features it lacks, they should get the ones it came with working first.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I can't edit my profile either but everything else works for me.

e: Galaxy S4

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Huh - I thought Vine was just something that ran 'on top of' Twitter, rather than having its own friends list, social feed, and mini-subculture.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

substitute posted:

Cool.

Oh.

Works on mine. Although "works" is kind of a loose statement since it acts really choppy.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
New gmail

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...ource=pulsenews

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

kitten smoothie posted:

Works on mine. Although "works" is kind of a loose statement since it acts really choppy.

The UI on my Razr M is buttery smooth, but the videos I take seem to be a bit on the choppy side. Chalk it up to first version jitters, I guess.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

I love it, it's gorgeous. Just installed it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I concur. The new GMail app is pretty loving nice. Really digging on the tabbed boxes. I have gotten pretty lazy with my rules and labels so it's nice of Google to do it for me.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
About time. I removed some of my filters that were duplicating work of the Promotions tab as soon as I got the new web interface, but the I realized later that my phone was now bugging me about them. I don't care that much about Google offers!

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Is there anywhere the new gmail goes over what the new colors and letters are, or are they arbitrary?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Also, I did not realize that you can enable the new auto-sorting tabs in Gmail by going to the web interface, clicking the gear menu, and picking the "Configure Inbox" option. I thought this was something that I'd have to wait for to be enabled fully on my account.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Rooster Brooster posted:

I think the new Duolingo app is great, but I really hate that it requires a connection to play. I get spotty connection in many places on the subway, which is prime language learning time during my commute.

My problem is that it keeps reminding me to do a lesson, by email and notification. Even though I have it turned off in the app. Every time I go back in there it's still selected. Getting really annoyed with it.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Drythe posted:

Is there anywhere the new gmail goes over what the new colors and letters are, or are they arbitrary?

Letters are the first letter of the name/email of the sender, and color is arbitrary, both are used only if you don't have a contact pic on file.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
A Tasker question, as after reading the site for it I wanted to make sure this was possible before I started playing with it: I'd like to set it so that when it is connected to my school's WiFi, it automatically switches to vibrate, and stays that way unless it has been disconnected for more than like ~15 minutes, as the WiFi has some connection issues.

Also, if Tasker makes a change like this, does anything you do manually to switch behavior stay, or will Tasker just override it again?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

calandryll posted:

My problem is that it keeps reminding me to do a lesson, by email and notification. Even though I have it turned off in the app. Every time I go back in there it's still selected. Getting really annoyed with it.

Don't know if it'll help, but log in on the website and turn off email notifications there, and maybe clear your app data. See if that helps.

I'm giving the WordReference app a try, that's my go-to site for learning what words really mean when Duolingo introduces them. Easier in browser tabs side by side of course, but hey! Seems a little slow in the app, but it seems to have a lot of the functionality (like tapping a word in the definitions and having it jump to the page on that word).

The best bit is when you go to the forum pages to get some nuance, and you realise you can read the explanations being given in the language you're learning :3: the site itself is a great resource so yeah, throwing that out there

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

booshi posted:

A Tasker question, as after reading the site for it I wanted to make sure this was possible before I started playing with it: I'd like to set it so that when it is connected to my school's WiFi, it automatically switches to vibrate, and stays that way unless it has been disconnected for more than like ~15 minutes, as the WiFi has some connection issues.

Also, if Tasker makes a change like this, does anything you do manually to switch behavior stay, or will Tasker just override it again?
Tasker works by taking actions when it enters and/or leaves a certain condition. You can easily set it switch to vibrate when connected to Wi-Fi. If you manually toggled the sound back on it would stay that way unless you disconnected and reconnected that Wi-Fi network.

The 15min thing is definitely doable but will take a little more effort, you'll have to set up a variable with a timer that starts when it drops from Wi-Fi, I think. There's a Tasker thread around here somewhere, people can probably help you get it working if needed.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Tunga posted:

Tasker works by taking actions when it enters and/or leaves a certain condition. You can easily set it switch to vibrate when connected to Wi-Fi. If you manually toggled the sound back on it would stay that way unless you disconnected and reconnected that Wi-Fi network.

The 15min thing is definitely doable but will take a little more effort, you'll have to set up a variable with a timer that starts when it drops from Wi-Fi, I think. There's a Tasker thread around here somewhere, people can probably help you get it working if needed.

Okay, and I could probably figure it out. One thing that wasn't answered though: can it be toggled based on which network my phone connects to?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes, absolutely. Based on SSID and/or MAC.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Tunga posted:

Yes, absolutely. Based on SSID and/or MAC.

This is amazing. Full volume at home so I don't miss it, vibrate only at work/school (same place), and an "out" mode where the ringer is on, but not that loud.

I know I'm going to come up with a ton of things to do with this app now.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Well, the Vine update stopped the crashing when I try to find people. It still doesn't do anything, it just sits on a blank page, but it's not crashing, so I'll call that progress. But, I installed it on my Nexus 7 and I noticed that there's a big blue button at the bottom of the page that is nowhere to be seen on my gnex (and, no, I haven't hosed with the dpi) and it works like a charm, so at least I was able to do it that way

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

You know what's awesome? Tasker and BTMono Pro together. Using Google Now to call people, bring up navigation, or start music and I never have to touch my phone.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Does anyone know the settings in poweramp to keep your track's position (so that when you play another song and play the first song again it comes back to the same spot)?

Thanks in advance guys

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 4, 2013

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Is there a way to force update the Gmail app? I have the desktop update running already, but not on my phone...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Is there a way to force update the Gmail app? I have the desktop update running already, but not on my phone...
Go to Android Police and download the update. Sorry I'm on mobile so no link.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

You can just download and install it from here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...ource=pulsenews

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...ource=pulsenews

APK link at the bottom of the article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
Is there some way to turn on notifications in Gmail 4.5 so it shows anytime you get an email, and not just when it's in your primary box?

• Locked thread