Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I hope they bump into a Xykon trapped in an illusion that some how works on him and they're totally baffled at him mumbling 'oh yesss, such delicious coffee' over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Spiderdrake posted:

I hope they bump into a Xykon trapped in an illusion that some how works on him and they're totally baffled at him mumbling 'oh yesss, such delicious coffee' over and over

I bet liches do miss having organs and glands. Sure, you're a nearly immortal being of immense power, but you never again get to masturbate.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

V & fiends meets linear guild, team up.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

Sefer posted:

It just occurred to me to be concerned that several hours have passed and V hasn't found them yet.
Holy poo poo, I missed the implications of that, too.

I'm wondering if Xykon needs Redcloak to rest and regain spells on the astral plane. He might not be coming immediately, though that Hinjo cutaway seems like ironclad foreshadowing.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Angela Christine posted:

I bet liches do miss having organs and glands. Sure, you're a nearly immortal being of immense power, but you never again get to masturbate.

He was pretty pissed about it in SoD.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

He was pretty pissed about it in SoD.

He didn't really care about that part. It hadn't moved on its own for 16 years.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

He was mad about not getting to drink coffee again.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Right, thats what I meant. Course he was never going to be able to drink coffee again anyway unless there was a latte mushroom down there.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

latte mushroom

Super Mario Bros. just hasn't been the same since Starbucks bought the franchise.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

But... But he liked the coffee because it was terrible. :saddowns:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Cliff Racer posted:

Right, thats what I meant. Course he was never going to be able to drink coffee again anyway unless there was a latte mushroom down there.

...I'm certain some underworld race has worked on such a thing.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Bloodly posted:

...I'm certain some underworld race has worked on such a thing.

If the Dragon magazine strips are anything to go by, there is bound to be a Dark Coffee plant in the underground ecosystem.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Toussaint Louverture posted:

But... But he liked the coffee because it was terrible. :saddowns:

Because it reminded him of all the GOOD coffee.

So the worst coffee reminds him of the best. It's confusing.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Shugojin posted:

Because it reminded him of all the GOOD coffee.

So the worst coffee reminds him of the best. It's confusing.
It was a joke that fell flat and took way too many panels in an otherwise excellent book. Let's not dwell too much on it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

NihilCredo posted:

It was a joke that fell flat and took way too many panels in an otherwise excellent book. Let's not dwell too much on it.
I'd disagree. I'd say it provided some real insight into his character, even more than a lot of the 'main' scenes did.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Colon V posted:

I'd disagree. I'd say it provided some real insight into his character, even more than a lot of the 'main' scenes did.
How?

Not being snarky, I genuinely didn't see any point, or any humour for that matter, in that coffee joke (unless it was "He's old"). The post-lichification followup was stunning, yes, but you'll have to enlighten me about the first gag.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

NihilCredo posted:

How?

Not being snarky, I genuinely didn't see any point, or any humour for that matter, in that coffee joke (unless it was "He's old"). The post-lichification followup was stunning, yes, but you'll have to enlighten me about the first gag.

That's because it isn't a joke. It's character development relating to how after decades of evil, all Xykon has to show for it at that point is memories. That by experiencing something bad it forces him to relive all the good times. And that's what makes the second scene in the diner work, the fact that becoming a lich had a real and tangible price to pay that Xykon wasn't expecting, and further, that his one really human connection, his memories of coffee, is lost forever in his rush for power.

That scene's important, and no, it really isn't funny at all. It isn't meant to be. The advantage to writing a self-contained book ike "Start of Darkness" is that Rich isn't constrained to one joke a page like he is in most of the webcomics where-in there's always a joke save for the most crucial of scenes, like Durkon's death.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 3, 2013

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Ing2058 is exactly right. But I also see it as fleshing out Xykon as a more realistic character, by giving him some very simple and relateable passions. He loved coffee, good coffee, bad coffee, really any coffee. It's a simple thing that we as readers can more easily relate too as a cost for his becoming a Lich. Simple pleasures that he treasured and we may take for granted are lost to him now.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

It has been a while since I read start of darkness, but I thought he liked bad coffee, because it was more memorable to good coffee. That you had to hold onto the fleeting feeling of good coffee. But bad coffee was memorable. You can't help but remember that terrible cup no matter how hard you tried.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Shwqa posted:

It has been a while since I read start of darkness, but I thought he liked bad coffee, because it was more memorable to good coffee. That you had to hold onto the fleeting feeling of good coffee. But bad coffee was memorable. You can't help but remember that terrible cup no matter how hard you tried.

Not quite.

Paraphrasing here: when you drink a good cup of coffee, you immerse yourself in that cup and enjoy that experience. But when you drink a cup of truly godawful coffee, your brain does everything in its power to not immerse itself in the experience. And to avoid having to think about the horrible sludge you're currently pouring down your gullet, your brain forces you to remember every single cup of good coffee that you've ever drank.

So basically when you drink a cup of good coffee, you only experience that cup of coffee.

Conversely, when you drink a cup of bad coffee, you experience every single cup of good coffee you've ever had. Which at his age was a LOT of coffee.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You'd think an epic spellcaster would be able to come up with some sort of illusion that recreates the taste of some really good coffee at will. I know, one less spell slot for POWERRR, but how high a spell level could that really be?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

You'd think an epic spellcaster would be able to come up with some sort of illusion that recreates the taste of some really good coffee at will. I know, one less spell slot for POWERRR, but how high a spell level could that really be?

Undead are immune to phantasms, and still wouldn't be able to perceive non-mental illusory tastes.
:goonsay:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I mean he has an entire Goblin army, what the gently caress does he think magic jar is for? You need some pleasures of the flesh, you take some over for a while.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Didn't we already have this conversation and the spell doesn't work that way?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Spiderdrake posted:

Didn't we already have this conversation and the spell doesn't work that way?

It was domination that didn't let you experience what the person is experiencing, and someone suggested magic jar instead.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

jng2058 posted:

That's because it isn't a joke. It's character development relating to how after decades of evil, all Xykon has to show for it at that point is memories. That by experiencing something bad it forces him to relive all the good times. And that's what makes the second scene in the diner work, the fact that becoming a lich had a real and tangible price to pay that Xykon wasn't expecting, and further, that his one really human connection, his memories of coffee, is lost forever in his rush for power.

That scene's important, and no, it really isn't funny at all. It isn't meant to be. The advantage to writing a self-contained book ike "Start of Darkness" is that Rich isn't constrained to one joke a page like he is in most of the webcomics where-in there's always a joke save for the most crucial of scenes, like Durkon's death.
Well I do grasp the larger theme that, as much of an rear end in a top hat as he always was, he was also human and had gone through a human life, and that "enjoying coffee" was a simple example of that. I just think that his torturous explanation of enjoying memories of good coffee through bad coffee was, well, nonsensical and baffling; he wasn't constantly punching himself to re-live all the times he felt comfy or whatever, was he? That's why I assumed it must have been a (failed) joke, because I couldn't take it at face value. It was like something from a parody of a self-help book.

Incidentally, I think a much better illustration of the difference between human-Xykon and lich-Xykon was his relationship with the wizardess in the evil lair. Even though they were clearly both ruthless assholes already, they still had a basic and sincere human connection that would just be completely unthinkable for an undead.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Kickstarter Update #59: Free Wallpaper (1/10)

The Wallpapers are free for everyone - not just Kickstarter backers, and are available on Rich's website in a variety of resolutions.

Rich Burlew posted:

So I've made a decision regarding updates for the near future. In order to avoid that feeling I talked about where I don't update if I don't have something concrete to show you guys, I'm going to start releasing the wallpapers that I've already completed—one new wallpaper every time I don't have anything else to deliver. I have five of them already (mostly) done from before I got hurt, and I had been waiting until they were all finished before releasing them. But I recently realized I don't need to wait, right? So here's the first wallpaper:

It's called, "No Encounters Today," and you can download it in a variety of sizes at this page on the GiantITP website. If you have any suggestions for other sizes and/or croppings you'd like to see, just leave a Comment on this update and I'll see what I can do.

As far as other work, this past week was a week of packing and shipping, mostly. I packed up about 200 autographed packages, mostly in the Stick It to You, Patience for an Art Print, and Patience for a Book reward levels. The majority of the autographed (non-crayon) packages left are the Patience for the Whole Story boxes, which are slow to get out because not only do they require me to sign seven books per customer, but they're big and bulky and don't fit too many in my car per trip. I also finished some more digital portraits and plugged away at Haleo and Julelan—which is ending up much longer than planned, surprising exactly no one.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's a lovely piece.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seeing Durkon in that is a little sad.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
I keep looking at it and seeing new monsters hidden in places that I missed before, very nice.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It's a tribute to the cover of the original 1E Monster Manual

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
. . . That unicorn has armpit hair.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

It's unreasonable to expect modern beauty standards to be applied to a fantasy setting.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

This is the best sentence.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That is the happiest dragon I've ever seen.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's a dude-icorn. They obviously said look, he's got this wild roadie hair and this ultra masculine beard, go for broke and give him pit hair to go with it.

The centaur knows what's up.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

greatn posted:

I mean he has an entire Goblin army, what the gently caress does he think magic jar is for? You need some pleasures of the flesh, you take some over for a while.

Why gently caress with a goblin proxy body when you can just flat out Shapechange?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Naramyth posted:

Why gently caress with a goblin proxy body when you can just flat out Shapechange?

Mostly because he can't. Xykon is a Sorcerer and he trades away number of spells known for number of spells he can cast per day and the flexibility of not having to pre-memorize. We've seen Xykon's spell list. Shapechange ain't on it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's a little pedantic to ask why he wouldn't just take over some new body and have physical experiences with that. He was the one who drank all that coffee and had all those experiences, and becoming a Lich made him shed all of those. Even if he can vicariously enjoy them through someone else (somewhat literally), it just isn't the same anymore. Xykon was a fair bit different before his Liching, still horrible but a little more human, and a lot of that was stripped away to just a lust for power and some extremely wild, manic whims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
I wonder what the stats are for the tiny Klansman next to the Owlbear.