Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

Hey all, Ritz had some dried poop around his vent this evening but with his prior history of being able to somehow get poop on his head, I wouldn't put it past him to poop on something, then sit in it. It wasn't like an entire turd dried up as it came out, t'was just a spot, and not immediately ON his vent, but in the general area. Cause for concern, or should I just monitor and see if it keeps up after a bath?

Most likely just a messy bird, but it doesn't hurt to monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

mikerock posted:

Most likely just a messy bird, but it doesn't hurt to monitor.

That's my first guess, he's had poop basically on every part of his body. And almost on a daily basis he manages to get blackberry juice on his chest/legs. Wtf bird.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Congrats! Your conure is functioning at 100% efficiency!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Oh god I need to get blackberries for Alexis and see what he does.

If, of course, I can get him to do something besides cling to me when he's not in his cage.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Kenshin posted:

So a little bit of background and then some conure questions:

Alexis has really only known his two owners his 18 months of life (besides, of course, whoever hand-raised him), and they said they didn't really have people over very often so he wasn't socialized well. Right now he's just super-clingy to the point where hands are fine UNTIL he's got himself latched onto my shirt, and then HANDS ARE THE ENEMY BECAUSE THEY WILL TAKE ME OFF HUMAN. Even to the point where he'll headbang angrily on my shoulder if I try to put my hand (without a food treat) anywhere near him. His bites hurt but not enough that I have to react or to draw blood, so so far I've just been letting him get his angry nips in and then slowly pulling my hand away, then trying another tactic to pick him up (usually involving bribing him with a treat, or just walking to his cage and seeing if he leans toward it).

Is there a better tactic than what I'm currently doing? Is this likely just him still being very confused about the situation he's been dumped into and feeling insecure?

Ozzy still gets bitchy at hands when they move in to remove him from a person (the angry squeals are adorable, though). Even if it is just for a quick potty break. It sounds like you are on the right path to discourage the biting, but don't be surprised if the attitude doesn't change a whole lot.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Pip pip pip posted:

Ozzy still gets bitchy at hands when they move in to remove him from a person (the angry squeals are adorable, though). Even if it is just for a quick potty break. It sounds like you are on the right path to discourage the biting, but don't be surprised if the attitude doesn't change a whole lot.

Ok, thanks. I did notice that he didn't seem to do that with his previous owners, he'd more just run away from their hands if he realized they were trying to remove him from their shoulders, so hopefully the biting slows down/stops once he's more comfortable with me. I'm guessing more cuddles and scritches this evening will help with that.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Kenshin posted:

So a little bit of background and then some conure questions:

Alexis has really only known his two owners his 18 months of life (besides, of course, whoever hand-raised him), and they said they didn't really have people over very often so he wasn't socialized well. Right now he's just super-clingy to the point where hands are fine UNTIL he's got himself latched onto my shirt, and then HANDS ARE THE ENEMY BECAUSE THEY WILL TAKE ME OFF HUMAN. Even to the point where he'll headbang angrily on my shoulder if I try to put my hand (without a food treat) anywhere near him. His bites hurt but not enough that I have to react or to draw blood, so so far I've just been letting him get his angry nips in and then slowly pulling my hand away, then trying another tactic to pick him up (usually involving bribing him with a treat, or just walking to his cage and seeing if he leans toward it).

Is there a better tactic than what I'm currently doing? Is this likely just him still being very confused about the situation he's been dumped into and feeling insecure?

In better news we did have our first scritches and cuddle session on the couch last night--he moved down toward my chest and let me give him lots of head scritches and back strokes, while closing his eyes and slowly working his beak open and closed, so I think we're making progress. He just is extremely resistent to actually physically letting go of me!
You can practice having him step up, and then put him back onto you, then step up, then put back... until he gets the idea that stepping up doesn't always mean "I'm getting put away." If he really likes his cage/playgym/food dish, you can stick him on that, too. The general idea you want to stick in his little birdy brain is that "hands = good things" whatever that might mean. If clinging to you is the only thing that motivates him, just make a game out of it and give him treats.

Keep training sessions short and fun, five minutes or less will usually do it. You're doing a great job by not reacting to the bites, too, so it sounds like you're already well on the right track! :)

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Patience and repetition! And definitely agreeing with having him step off of you, praising him, and then putting him right back where he was. Stepping up and off doesn't always need to mean playtime is over.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Just got back from the vet, Captain Conure is pretty worn out (it's settled down on the towel beside me right now, no interest in playing). Lots of new things and sharp pokey things! Everything is a-ok though, with DNA testing coming back sometime next week.

One thing did come up and I think I'll have to do a lot of research on this: gotta get this bird foraging and on pellets! Since I knew Captain would be hungry after coming home from the vet, I went ahead and refilled the food bowl with nothing but pellets. We'll see if he goes for that.

How do you guys get your birds foraging?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I leave tomorrow, early enough that I won't see the birds then, and was hoping to spend some time with the birds in the evening instead. Got back from running errands, and Steve wouldn't come out of the cage (and bit me when I offered a finger), and Ohtori wanted nothing to do with me.

I'm going to miss those little balls of fury and potato-ness. :unsmith:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

SquadronROE posted:

How do you guys get your birds foraging?

A short plastic box half-filled with Carefresh with a seed mix sprinkled over and then mixed in while the bird is watching. The tub's walls help keep the Carefresh in the box (in theory, Zeke and Zoe are lunatics).

When switching birds cold turkey over to pellets, some birds will actually starve themselves to death rather than try eating a pellet. Make sure you keep a careful eye on stool production. When I switched Chiyo, I gave her a breakfast and dinner of seed mix, but she only had pellets to free-feed from otherwise.

BitchKitten
Apr 4, 2003
It has been a year, since my parrotlet Squeak passed away.

And, I have been wanting another parrotlet for quite sometime now. Sure enough, the local store near me had a baby hatch.

She was born in March and almost 4 months old. Total opposite of my first parrotlet. I named her Rarity because of her color. She loves to be scratched, sits in her food dish to eat, and tries to go after my conure Egbert.

(And her baby picture, from the pet stores website)

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I found this picture of Charlie and his siblings as babies. Charlie is next to the one on the left.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Guys, hey guys. I know y'all love your birds and all, but can your potato birds convey such strong emotions like mine?

I don't think so :smug:

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Pip pip pip posted:

Do you guys have any other cool crafting ideas that I can use with tail feathers? Ozzy's red ones are so gorgeous that I want more ways to show them off :3: I like Nugget's banded ones too. I only have like 2 of Sprite's tail feathers. Either she hardly ever drops them or I don't ever find them for some reason. :sigh:

Dream Catchers!

I made one and it actually worked :stonk: I didn't recall any dreams (good or bad) when I had it up. and now that I've taken it down for a long while. I've been getting night terrors.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
So: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/alexis-the-dusky-conure

I mainly set it up so I can watch and see how he behaves when he's alone while I'm at work. I also just bought a bunch of new toys and stuff and set his cage up differently, so we'll see if he plays with those toys.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Kenshin posted:

I mainly set it up so I can watch and see how he behaves when he's alone while I'm at work. I also just bought a bunch of new toys and stuff and set his cage up differently, so we'll see if he plays with those toys.

I'm watching you. I'm jealous of your conure that doesn't squeeze out of the foodhole when you move bowls in or out. I can't even open the side doors on the cage without Ritz shoving some appendage out the hole so I can't close it :( We have the same thing setup, of course it's offline today. derp.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Man, I never thought of setting up a Ustream feed for Hannah. Definitely setting one up tonight.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Are we going to have a birds looking at streams of birds looking at streams of birds of birds looking at streams of birds few posts coming up? (similar to the one with birds looking at pictures of birds etc...)

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Ahhhhh too cute. But now I think he's hiding from the camera on purpose.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Just got back from Disney! My bird sitters did great, one of them even managed to bum rush Finn fast enough to scoop him out of his cage and not get bitten haha. We woke the birds up last night around 10:30 and they were all extremely excited to see us. I had an awesome time but everytime I saw birds creeping around wanting french fries I wanted to cry. I missed my babies so much I just :'( SO GLAD TO BE HOME.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Kenshin posted:

We do the same thing with Mindo. :)

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Man, I feel so bad for Captain Conure. All she wants to do right now is cuddle with me and nuzzle and maybe preen a bit. However, I'm a bit nervous about letting her do that because I don't want to be identified as a mate, or encourage nesting or whatever.

I wonder if I'm just being overly paranoid.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

SquadronROE posted:

Man, I feel so bad for Captain Conure. All she wants to do right now is cuddle with me and nuzzle and maybe preen a bit. However, I'm a bit nervous about letting her do that because I don't want to be identified as a mate, or encourage nesting or whatever.

She? Did you get results back already, if so that's rad! I think given enough time all birds identify with their humans as mates, the best you can do is just try to stop the masturbating (when she tries to do it on your arm/hand/face whatever). It will happen eventually.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

SquadronROE posted:

Cuddling should be ok, just be careful with petting anywhere besides the head. I'm not sure what conures do in the wild, but I wouldn't be surprised if they hung out in big cuddly balls :3: - in any case, you just want to keep the bird from thinking it's mating season, not necessarily from thinking that you're its mate (though if you can do that, more power to you).

Side note: humans are one of the few animals that are "in heat" throughout the year. Most other animals only get the urge during certain seasons, usually so that gestation ends at the time when there's the most resources for new young.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

SquadronROE posted:

Isn't Captain pretty young? Do conures not take multiple years to reach sexual maturity?

It is a good idea to get the bird comfortable with being separated from you, though. It's great to chill with birdbrain all day, but there are times one has to work or do something in the house where the bird can't be on you and having the bird be accustomed to that is a good thing.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Thanks for all the info! We haven't gotten the results back just yet, but I'm planning on worst case scenario. Worst case because it seems like every possible birdy illness happens to females. I do make sure Captain gets plenty of alone time in the cage. Usually when I get home it'll be out for a couple hours as I play games or whatever, then it's back in the cage while we eat (and then bed time). It's in the cage constantly while I'm at work.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Haha, Leeloo is mad because she can't find an edge to peel my nailpolish off. At first she was just skittering her tongue across it trying to get purchase, but now she's angrily whacking it with her beak over and over... "WHAT WITCHERY IS THIS?" :catstare:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Haha, Leeloo is mad because she can't find an edge to peel my nailpolish off. At first she was just skittering her tongue across it trying to get purchase, but now she's angrily whacking it with her beak over and over... "WHAT WITCHERY IS THIS?" :catstare:

:3:

My cockatiel has really taken to 'talking' to shaking noises. Shake a box of pasta and he'll start chipring and chattering away, and he stops whenever you stop shaking it, doesn't matter what it is. If he's in a really good mood he'll talk and chatter to your finger if you tap it on the desk in front of him.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Chido posted:

Guys, hey guys. I know y'all love your birds and all, but can your potato birds convey such strong emotions like mine?

I don't think so :smug:

I didn't know "rear end in a top hat" was an emotion. :colbert:

Forgive me, I lived in a small Georgian (the European one) village for a half year and the. loving. Chickens.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

IT'S A DUET BETWEEN A COCKATIEL AND THEIR HUMAN ACCOMPANIST ON PIANO. It's theme from My Neighbor Totoro and I exploded from the derp.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Official Bizness posted:

IT'S A DUET BETWEEN A COCKATIEL AND THEIR HUMAN ACCOMPANIST ON PIANO. It's theme from My Neighbor Totoro and I exploded from the derp.

Good lord... that is just too much..

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Official Bizness posted:

Oh. My. God.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Official Bizness posted:

Oh my god the way he stares up and eagerly sings the theme. :3: :3: :3:

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Official Bizness posted:

This is so cute! ...The related videos though? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXfmnY6QIOc D:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Amaya posted:

This is so cute! ...The related videos though? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXfmnY6QIOc D:
Oh god one baby cockatiel makes enough irritating sounds :gonk:

Seriously I love following the related videos for Chinese or Japanese videos, they ALWAYS have the cutest goddamn bird videos. :3:

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Oh god one baby cockatiel makes enough irritating sounds :gonk:

Seriously I love following the related videos for Chinese or Japanese videos, they ALWAYS have the cutest goddamn bird videos. :3:

I agree! last link, I just love that the title translates to "I get angry violently!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZme_YdOCL0

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Oh man, I love birds talking in foreign languages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7ejsdVOILY Grey speaking Japanese
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhMrFd6yv1Q Konichiwa!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7G_NgIgHZo KONBAWAAAAAA

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Official Bizness posted:

:kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: That is just too much :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Official Bizness posted:

Woooow. What an amazing little potato :3: