Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

plaguedoctor posted:

Re: "object of Twain’s attention"

Wouldn't that be the Mississippi River?

If there's anything that looking at all of this has taught me, it's that this clue has got to be useless, because Mark Twain wrote a little bit about everything.

Unless it means that there's a statue of Mark Twain somewhere and his eyes are looking in the direction of whatever the "object" is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.
I just ordered a copy of the book. Worst come to worst the art is gorgeous. I think we need high quality prints of these so I can pin them somewhere and act like a really insane person.

cosmo sex tip
Sep 26, 2005
contains sodium borate, xanthan gum, sucrose stearate, glucose, glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase, and fragrance.

Neutrino posted:

James Lovell was from Milwaukee and there was the Lovell Space Museum under MacArthur Square for a few years in the 1970s. But beyond him, there was no other astronaut from Milwaukee.

There IS a street named after him though, and it's downtown. Just sayin'.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

New Orleans

Speaking of Twain's attention. Here is an excerpt from his wiki. Could it be meant as a distance indicator?

In regards to Samuel Clemens becoming a river pilot, "This occupation gave him his pen name, Mark Twain, from "mark twain," the cry for a measured river depth of two fathoms."

A fathom is equal to six foot, so two fathoms would be twelve feet

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
I just got my copy of the book, which I would say is in VG to NM condition. Looking at it, I think the only way I will get really good scans or pictures is to to take the picture pages out of the book.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
NO

I don't think this is brought up enough. This is from the PDF. Across from Preservation Hall, is an arch that fits exceedingly well with the clock. What this means, I don't know. But it's a really good fit, so I wonder what being across from Preservation would mean.

The Grandfather Clock itself has been bothering me. New Orleans doesn't have a great clock history. I can't think of a single notable grandfather clock, in general I suppose but also specifically regarding NO. Also, I still think the clock face is the clock from St Louis Cathedral, so why it is superimposed on a different style clock is also intriguing...

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
N. O.

The object of Twain's attention has gotta be the Mississippi, I can't imagine it being something more obscure.

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Boston

After getting started reading the Image 11 thread at the q4t site (only a little ways in) I like that the arches in the Copley fountain seems to match so well with the upper part of the circle even with the little gash on the one archway. I'm feeling better that this might be Boston.

What? what copley fountain? I will be checking out the scene later this week

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

The Monkey Man posted:

N. O.

The object of Twain's attention has gotta be the Mississippi, I can't imagine it being something more obscure.

Yah, that's all I can think.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

The Monkey Man posted:

N. O.

True, but it bothers me that all the directions have us going north. All the imagery (the lat and long numbers and hands pointing to noon) have us going north. Hell, standing in Jackson square looking at St. Louis Catherdral has us oriented north. The River is south.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Ok, I should have good images tomorrow from the book for everyone, got my friend at work bringing in a camera better than what I can get off my phone. I don't have a high quality scanner readily available to use.

I'll get the pics and post them online for everyone here to look through.

If you guys want, I'll scan the rest of the book too somehow.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

True, but it bothers me that all the directions have us going north. All the imagery (the lat and long numbers and hands pointing to noon) have us going north. Hell, standing in Jackson square looking at St. Louis Catherdral has us oriented north. The River is south.

The lat long covers the entire French Quarter and more.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Bea Nanner posted:

The lat long covers the entire French Quarter and more.

Fair enough, but everything pointing in moving north?

vv Good man/woman/porpoise

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 5, 2013

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
The river runs north heading towards the park, then across as soon as it reaches it.

I haven't been to Nawlins in ever, so I'm going to look around for buried treasure Saturday as a pretense to visit all the touristy nonsense in the French Quarter. I'm definitely going to poke around Jackson Square to see if there are any additional landmarks that match any pictures on the image and see where the flagpole is pointing at various times, and check out Joan of Arc, Armstrong Park, and Preservation Hall.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
I went by Lafayette Square today and there is no way that kid in the clock is related to that statue.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

BJG posted:

THE LITANY OF THE JEWELS

Wow, I feel like this could be seriously helpful. Let me add it into the thing I worked out earlier with the flowers/jewels/times/months; it might shake a few thoughts loose for others in the thread. This has been fun to follow.

quote:

C1 - June; rose, pearl, sixth month; Cathay (China); San Francisco
C2 - April; daisy, diamond, fourth month; Africa; Charleston, SC
C3 - January; carnation, garnet, first month; England; Roanoke Island
C4 - March; daffodil, aquamarine, third month; Hellas (Greece); Cleveland
C5 - May; lily of the valley, emerald, fifth month; Ireland; Chicago
C6 - September; sapphire, aster, ninth month; Iberia (Spain/Portugal); Saint Augustine, FL
C7 - December; narcissus, turquoise, twelfth month; France; New Orleans
C8 - July; larkspur (or water lily), ruby, seventh month; Araby/Arabia; Houston
C9 - October; marigold(?), opal, tenth month; Netherlands/Holland/Dutchlands/Lowlands; St. Louis or Montreal
C10 - February; violet, amethyst, second month; Germany; Milwaukee
C11 - August; gladiolus/poppy(?), peridot, eighth month; Italy; Boston
C12 - November; crysanthemum, topaz, eleventh month; Russia; New York

McIneri
Jan 4, 2012

TotalHell posted:

That is excellent, I hope your research turns something up! :)
I really do as well. I don't know what it is about this that got me hooked but it did and I am officially obsessed.

JG_Plissken
Oct 22, 2005

I went to a four year college and all I got was this stupid look on my face!
Cask 3 is at the Memorial Tower atop Kevin Devil Hill not far from Roanoke (drive across the bridge into Nags Head and turn north). The tower is a memorial to the Wright brothers who are friends with Octave Chanute.

The tower is made of granite (which contains mica) and bears the phrase "In commemoration of the conquest of the air by the brothers Wilbur and Orville Wright conceived by genius achieved by dauntless resolution and unconquerable faith."

The verse contains the lines

quote:

By dauntless and inconquerable
Determination

JG_Plissken fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 5, 2013

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Verse 10

While reading the verse I was struck by a thought. I know Preiss used to teach in Philadelphia around my old haunts, and something about the verse immediately brought to mind the statue of Teedyuscung on Indian Rock along the Wissahickon in Fairmount Park.

In the shadow
Of the grey giant
Find the arm that
Extends over the slender path
In summer
You'll often hear a whirring sound
Cars abound
Although the sign
Nearby
Speaks of Indies native
The natives still speak
Of him of Hard word in 3 Vols.
Take twice as many east steps as the hour
Or more
From the middle of one branch
Of the v
Look down
And see simple roots
In rhapsodic man's soil
Or gaze north
Toward the isle of B.

There's a lot of other things that line up in my head, signs of natives (historical markers, Seminole Street), isle of B (Barbadoes Island is north along the Schuylkill). Maybe I'm all crazy and this has been disproven or the evidence for New York is all but overtowering but I can't help but feel Preiss would leave Philly out of the hunt, especially since he lived here.

McIneri
Jan 4, 2012
In reference to CASK 2 in Charleston. I have some excellent fuel to add to the fire. While at work today my girlfriend (who works for the Ft. Sumter National Monument) took one of the Ft. Sumter brochures and drew the same clock dial seeming lines onto the map.

In just an excellent turn of events, there happens to be an old projectile from the bombardment during the civil war in close to the exact place the hour hand is pointing. I have actually seen this exact projectile many times during outings to the fort. If we have any potential places to look on Ft. Sumter, I think that's one. Also, since my girlfriend works at Ft. Sumter, she actually knows and is friends with the curator of the site. I can't make any kind of promises, but she is a really cool person who I bet would be into the idea of even thinking about letting us dig there. Now again, not sure if it is there, but several on here seem to think it might be.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
NO

I showed this figure to multiple lifelong residents and they all agree that is not the old horse hitching posts. It's gotta be a dog or a wolf of some sort.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Barfoid 3 posted:

What? what copley fountain? I will be checking out the scene later this week

It's immediately east of the bombing memorial and the Copley statue, but don't read too much into it- it was apparently built in 1989. Once you fall into a dry, granite-lined pit surrounded by sleeping homeless people, you've arrived.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

JG_Plissken posted:

Cask 3 is at the Memorial Tower atop Kevin Devil Hill not far from Roanoke (drive across the bridge into Nags Head and turn north). The tower is a memorial to the Wright brothers who are friends with Octave Chanute.

The tower is made of granite (which contains mica) and bears the phrase "In commemoration of the conquest of the air by the brothers Wilbur and Orville Wright conceived by genius achieved by dauntless resolution and unconquerable faith."

The verse contains the lines

I suggested this early in he thread...
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552196&userid=130681#post416024957
Shot of it is I think it's possible the clues lead you to the beach at the elizabethan gardens so that you can see the memorial, which is where I think he sugar bowl may be buried.

I have 3 places want to look at, if I ever get down to the outer banks again. The spot where the wright brothers landed heir first flight, the north side of the Virginia dare statue In the elizabethan gardens, and somewhere down the trail from the 1896 memorial marker at fort Raleigh.

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 5, 2013

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

ruebennase posted:

NYC

Now this has me pretty convinced that the Public Library has to be our starting point. Especially the bit about the double line under the arch.

Not too sure about Bryant park being the end, though. Maybe a lot of that is wishful thinking because that would probably mean the cask was lost to the remodeling, but still.
As others have mentioned, Bryant Park is nowhere near water. Water is prominently featured in the picture, and that foamy wave makes me think seashore.
And then there's the Chrysler seagull. Why? Why put the Chrysler eagle head on a different bird's body and why is it a seagull specifically? It has to mean something.

Of course, the whole of NY is by the sea, and two out of twelve locations confirmed as being near water doesn't really say anything definitive, but still. Why the seagull?

I've been googling seagulls and combinations of Chrysler (and related car manufacturers) for a while now and haven't come up with anything compelling.
There's a play called "The Seagull" by Russian writer Chekov, the DeLorean is one of the most famous examples for gullwing doors and was designed and built by an former Chrysler exec, but I can't see any connection with the play and I think most of the DeLorean's popularity comes from Back to the Future, which wasn't out in 1981.
And seagulls in general apaprently symbolize freedom, some sea god and messengers, none of which really helps.

Any ideas?

There was a truly insipid, vomitous, horribly popular book in the 70's called 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Livingston_Seagull
Possibly it is a clue...maybe the publishing house (McMillan) at the time is a clue, or the author, or the general subject of the book. Neil Diamond did the crappy song for the crappy movie version.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Grave $avings posted:

Maybe I'm all crazy and this has been disproven or the evidence for New York is all but overtowering but I can't help but feel Preiss would leave Philly out of the hunt, especially since he lived here.

AFAIK there's nothing definitive linking the verse to NYC or the picture. I'm not sure which picture would be philly though.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Plaid Jacket posted:

Okay here is a spreadsheet For NY. There's a page for V. 10, a page for V. 6, and a page devoted to just picture 12 and observations. I've culled most of the information for the quest for treasure forums, and some of the posts in the thread. I ask that we keep this spreadsheet to New York. I also have a copy of the book being delivered and will scan when it comes in.

This is an excellent idea. I am 100% copying you for the Charleston treasure. It'll make keeping our thoughts organized and sharing ideas much easier:

The Link to the Charleston Treasure Spreadsheet

I haven't added any of the clues or ideas yet. As you'll see, it has a separate sheet for each verse, divided by line (great organizational idea, Plaid Jacket!), as well as the picture itself, with space for ideas as well as columns for four main contender areas: Fort Sumter, Hampton Park, Marion Square, and White Point Garden. I wanted to get it up and running, and I'll be back to add to it later this evening. Please feel free to add anything we've come up with from this thread or elsewhere. Just keep it focused on Charleston!

JG_Plissken
Oct 22, 2005

I went to a four year college and all I got was this stupid look on my face!

Sham I Am posted:

I suggested this early in he thread...
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552196&userid=130681#post416024957

I have 3 places. Want to look at, if I ever get down to the outer banks again. The spot where the wright brothers landed heir first flight, the north side of the Virginia dare statue I the elizabethan gardens, and somewhere down the trail from the 1896 memorial marker at fort Raleigh.

Yes, you are defiantly on to something. I think the first flight location is a good idea as it could have something to do with "last touched". I don't know enough about the area directly surrounding the monument to get any closer than that.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Emacs Headroom posted:

AFAIK there's nothing definitive linking the verse to NYC or the picture. I'm not sure which picture would be philly though.

My gut feeling says it could be Cask 9 if it's anything, but I've no way to conclusively identify it as such. I'm going to look into it.

Edit: Hmm, and looking over the flower list, Schuylkil is a Dutch word...

Pepperoneedy fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 5, 2013

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
NO

Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high

This one is bothering me. I think Sounds from the sky is Calliope from nearby steamboats. But what the gently caress is near ace is high?

I was thinking Harrah's or something, but that opened in 1999 so that's out. Obviously New Orleans historically gambled, but I don't know what the policy was circa 1979.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

HoboZero posted:

It's immediately east of the bombing memorial and the Copley statue, but don't read too much into it- it was apparently built in 1989. Once you fall into a dry, granite-lined pit surrounded by sleeping homeless people, you've arrived.

You're right - I had been lead to understand it was built in the 1960s. Oh well.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Bea Nanner posted:

NO

Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high

This one is bothering me. I think Sounds from the sky is Calliope from nearby steamboats. But what the gently caress is near ace is high?

I was thinking Harrah's or something, but that opened in 1999 so that's out. Obviously New Orleans historically gambled, but I don't know what the policy was circa 1979.

The policy was "Don't get caught".

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Devyl posted:

The policy was "Don't get caught".

Did they do riverboat gambling?

Dive Kick
Sep 29, 2011
I feel like we are awfully close to the Montreal Cask, it seemed like a few of the theories earlier on in the thread showed promise. While I suck at riddles, perhaps we should focus a bit more attention back in that direction. As well, it seems as though a few times the author has spoken and given vague clues. Are we sure the ones we have discussed (mainly that the ethnicity of the image relates to the spot)are the only relevant clues?

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

Bea Nanner posted:

NO

Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high

Someone mentioned it sounded like "Aces high", so maybe the sound from the sky is a plane, possibly something to do with a fighter plane. Maybe they're talking about the National WW2 museum! (that opened in 2000)

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Bea Nanner posted:

NO

Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high

I haven't been following the NO search much, but when I read this I wondered if there were a large capital A (for ace) on a sign/billboard/something up high. Someone mentioned earlier that BP was an avid poker player and I wonder if he were to see an A by itself up high, it would make him think of aces high.

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax
BOSTON

HoboZero posted:

Oh the thing where people skateboard that has two pyramids?

I went to coply and took some pictures. Will post when I get home. One thing is, after looking carefully at every stone arch I could see, it got me thinking. All the stone arches in doorways, windows, etc ALL use uniform size stones and they all have a keystone. I don't know if its even "possible" to have a window or door arch like that. But what if that arch is.. on the ground.

Anyways I am MUCH INTRIGUED by the Phillip Brooks statue at trinity church

Much of te imagery matches the picture including the eagle and what I believe is the shawled face I identified beneath the bird perch. (Jesus shawled in the statue)

There is an arch on the ground that encircles the statue. And there is a little garden behind it.

The above pic is from google images, I will post mine later.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

CronoGamer posted:

I haven't been following the NO search much, but when I read this I wondered if there were a large capital A (for ace) on a sign/billboard/something up high. Someone mentioned earlier that BP was an avid poker player and I wonder if he were to see an A by itself up high, it would make him think of aces high.

Like I mentioned earlier, a clue like that would take some digging into historical archives of the Quarter, because a lot of businesses have shut down or been re-named since the late 70's/early 80's.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Right, I'm just saying that it might not necessarily be a gambling establishment. If you found out there were some restaurant/hotel/bar/anything in the area whose name started with A you could maybe look for pictures of it, I don't know.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Barfoid 3 posted:

BOSTON

Oh the thing where people skateboard that has two pyramids?

I went to coply and took some pictures. Will post when I get home. One thing is, after looking carefully at every stone arch I could see, it got me thinking. All the stone arches in doorways, windows, etc ALL use uniform size stones and they all have a keystone. I don't know if its even "possible" to have a window or door arch like that. But what if that arch is.. on the ground.

Anyways I am MUCH INTRIGUED by the Phillip Brooks statue at trinity church

Much of te imagery matches the picture including the eagle and what I believe is the shawled face I identified beneath the bird perch. (Jesus shawled in the statue)

There is an arch on the ground that encircles the statue. And there is a little garden behind it.

The above pic is from google images, I will post mine later.

The pattern on the stonework is also similar to the 3x3 checkerboard blocks on the lady's shawl sleevey things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Milwaukee

Perhaps we should compile a listing of all the parks/green spaces within a 2 mile radius of City Hall.

I noticed MacArthur Square off just to the west, with a bronze statue of the General there. 5-star general, = 'proud tall fifth'?

(park right next to Lovell St.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Douglas_MacArthur_%28Dean%29