Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Didn't the comics have something where she was special in some way? Like old home movies didn't match up with the photos of her and they dug up her parents to get a DNA sample? How did that turn out?

VVVVVV
seriously!? I had a buch of these picture books when I was a kid that were based more strongly off of the the comics than the show. I had one about the magic drawing crystal and I thought it was a great story. So I was super pumped when I finally got to see it animated.

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Dr_Amazing posted:

Didn't the comics have something where she was special in some way? Like old home movies didn't match up with the photos of her and they dug up her parents to get a DNA sample? How did that turn out?

She was a drawing that was brought to life because her parents wanted a child really bad (and also a magic crystal). If you've read the first Donatello comic (or saw the episode of the 2k3 show that was based on it) it was the same crystal that Kirby uses.

The TMNT comics are weird.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!

Sergeant Hobo posted:

I was thinking that something in her DNA presents an immunity to Kraang water, but perhaps that's too simplistic.

Maybe its a natural mutation and they want to use it as a plot device so they can mutate humans with her DNA for a slave workforce.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

MrFlibble posted:

She was a drawing that was brought to life because her parents wanted a child really bad (and also a magic crystal). If you've read the first Donatello comic (or saw the episode of the 2k3 show that was based on it) it was the same crystal that Kirby uses.

The TMNT comics are weird.

The producers were actually asked whether we can hope for an appearance of Kirby, but they said it wouldn't really work in 3D-animation.
That or Recycle Bin mentioned it earlier in the thread.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I'm not sure if this needs spoilering, but is today's mutation the first to be lingered on like that? It was pretty effective.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Yeah, gently caress that guy. Too stupid to live, glad they went all out on it ending horribly for him.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I doubt that's going to be the last we see of him since that tank bears a big resemblance to his old costume https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHiUL-0hvj8&t=337s.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Teek posted:

Yeah, gently caress that guy. Too stupid to live, glad they went all out on it ending horribly for him.

I still feel sorry for him, but there was nothing to be done, short of the Turtles hitting him over the head and locking him in a cell.

... which I guess is how things turned out anyway.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Good loving lord, Snakeweed splitting his legs and the unstoppable roach were already creepy. This, though...
This had to be one of the creepiest and most horrific things I've watched in a long time, worse than most horror movies I've watched. It's probably brought on by how funny the rest of the episode was with little hints that something horrible was going to happen later. But good god I was not expecting that. Even just the moment itself out of context... just rewatched that scene on youtube and it's still chilling.
Poor Don, not only is the April thing going to turn out badly but now he feels solely responsible for ruining someone's life.

There has not been one bad episode of this show so far. This show is seriously amazing, how is this show so amazing.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
He was too genre aware for his own good. If he was the protagonist of course he would suddenly gain awesome powers and save everyone. I'm surprised they didn't name him Zach since he's basically the same character https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFSvfipHaz8&t=134s.

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I doubt that's going to be the last we see of him since that tank bears a big resemblance to his old costume https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHiUL-0hvj8&t=337s.

Not only that, but the monster on the cover of Mikey's comic earlier in the episode looks exactly like the original Mutagen Man.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Just a reminder for anyone interested in the IDW Turtles comic, CITY FALL is kicking off in 2 weeks.

IDWs ongoing Turtles series is really really good. There are 21 issues out and a 4 part Origin of the Foot Clan series which ties into City Fall. You all owe it to yourselves to check it out, especially with how cheap the digital issues are on Comixology.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Veg posted:

Just a reminder for anyone interested in the IDW Turtles comic, CITY FALL is kicking off in 2 weeks.

IDWs ongoing Turtles series is really really good. There are 21 issues out and a 4 part Origin of the Foot Clan series which ties into City Fall. You all owe it to yourselves to check it out, especially with how cheap the digital issues are on Comixology.

Seconding. It strikes a good balance between 80s cartoon goofiness and the original dark/edgy TMNT comics. I would honestly say it's a good comic by industry standards, regardless of if you like the TMNT or not.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

MrFlibble posted:

Seconding. It strikes a good balance between 80s cartoon goofiness and the original dark/edgy TMNT comics. I would honestly say it's a good comic by industry standards, regardless of if you like the TMNT or not.

And some serious shits about to go down.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
(1) Recycle Bin - thank you.

(2) How do I catch up on eps so far? I caught one today on nick and want more.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Nick.com should have some recent episodes up.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Agent Rush posted:

Nick.com should have some recent episodes up.

i'll check it out, thx!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
You can also buy all the episodes on itunes
This way you might be able to watch a select few and make a decision, or just buy a season's pass
nick.com is probably a good idea, though

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
What's going on with the scheduling for this show? How come there are such long breaks between episodes? Is the air date for the next episode known yet?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I don't know but I'm having a cow. Even after the next episode there's probably going to be another agonizing wait for the ones after it. The wait up for the finale will be infuriating if it's a two parter and they do this again between the two parts. It really is avatar all over again.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I don't know but I'm having a cow. Even after the next episode there's probably going to be another agonizing wait for the ones after it. The wait up for the finale will be infuriating if it's a two parter and they do this again between the two parts. It really is avatar all over again.

I have a feeling they weren't expecting the show to do this well.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Yonic Symbolism posted:

If they are smart its because they want the season finale to go right into season 2 with barely any wait. Makes sense if the rumors that poo poo hits the fan in the season 1 finale. Otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense to space the show out like this unless they want interest to waiver.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I always feel weird when stuff uses kunoichi as the word for female ninja, it's a weird double pun of just saying the kanji for women spelled out 'phonically' (saying the brush strokes like they were individual sounds) that makes a pun on the phrase "nine and one" which is talking about body openings (a ninja has 9, a female ninja has 9 and a vagina).

Like I mean I guess that is what female ninjas are called but knowing the origin makes it always feel weird to have like, splinter basically calling april a "vagina haver".

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

It's not even just Nick, Disney and Cartoon Network are both guilty of this kind of thing all the time. There's never even a good reason for it, they just throw whatever up whenever they feel.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

that makes a pun on the phrase "nine and one" which is talking about body openings (a ninja has 9, a female ninja has 9 and a vagina).

What the gently caress are you talking about. :psyduck:

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

JT Smiley posted:

It's not even just Nick, Disney and Cartoon Network are both guilty of this kind of thing all the time. There's never even a good reason for it, they just throw whatever up whenever they feel.

I've never had much of a problem with CN's scheduling. I mean, there was only a month between seasons 4 and 5 of Adventure Time. But maybe my judgement is off because nothing can be as bad as what Disney is doing with Gravity Falls. At this rate, season one of Gravity Falls is going to take a full calender year to air.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

El Tortuga posted:

I've never had much of a problem with CN's scheduling. I mean, there was only a month between seasons 4 and 5 of Adventure Time. But maybe my judgement is off because nothing can be as bad as what Disney is doing with Gravity Falls. At this rate, season one of Gravity Falls is going to take a full calender year to air.

CN has Green Lantern the Animated Series and Young Justice, to name a few, that they've treated this way.

They also killed off Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes for no reason and pissed off Marvel enough to move away from putting anything on the network.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Veg posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about. :psyduck:

The Japanese word for 'female ninja" is kunoichi. It's a weird olde timey japanese pun. You take the symbol for woman and say each stroke as if it was a separate word instead of being part of a character. When you do that the sentence it makes ku no ichi sounds like you are saying "nine and one". Nine is the traditional number of body openings in japanese medicine (which counts weird things like eyes). So it becomes some weird joke in saying a female ninja is a dude with an extra hole in him. Don't ask me why they did it that way.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

That explains a lot about some of those Kunoichi movies.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
9 openings?
Left ear, right ear, left nostril, right nostril, left eye, right eye, mouth, butt.
What's left that doesn't count penis?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
TMNT2012: Left ear, right ear, left nostril, right nostril, left eye, right eye, mouth, butt

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Dr Tran posted:

9 openings?
Left ear, right ear, left nostril, right nostril, left eye, right eye, mouth, butt.
What's left that doesn't count penis?

Penis counts, why wouldn't it?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Penis counts, why wouldn't it?
Logically, penis or vagina would be the 9th hole. However, the phrase makes vagina the 10th hole. :iiam:

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 10, 2013

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
urethra and vagina are :nws:separate openings.:nws:

I was waiting for someone else to say it but I guess I will be the one to impart this knowledge.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Dr Tran posted:

Logically, penis or vagina would be the 9th hole. However, the phrase makes vagina the 10th hole. :iiam:

You are one of those people that think women have a cloaca, aren't you?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You are one of those people that think women have a cloaca, aren't you?

If I don't know the difference between a woman's urethra and vagina, how would I know what a cloaca is? Some doctor I am

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
So...when do the new episodes pick up again?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Sergeant Hobo posted:

So...when do the new episodes pick up again?

Seriously when? The little app I've got on my phone that tells me when new episodes are out can't seem to handle this show for some reason. This is like the 5th time it's told me that this episode is starting. I can't handle the disappointment.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Dr_Amazing posted:

Seriously when? The little app I've got on my phone that tells me when new episodes are out can't seem to handle this show for some reason. This is like the 5th time it's told me that this episode is starting. I can't handle the disappointment.

Parasitica has been scheduled to show like 4 times and they keep not showing it. It was originally supposed to be may 11th, then at some point supposed to of air every single time slot it could have aired. Somebody somewhere doesn't want to show that episode but doesn't want to remove it entirely either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I know this isn't a TMNT movie thread, but William Fichtner has been confirmed as being cast as Shredder in the new movie. Rather strange given that he's a white man, but that leads me to believe that this movie's Shredder will not be Oroku Saki. At least Fichtner is a good actor.

Anyway, new Nick TMNT episode on June 29.

• Locked thread