Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
Has anyone considered getting the local (University / College)'s Archeology departments involved if you actually confirm that you find one of these. I mean it may not be dinosaur bones, but it is an archeological dig of sorts. I mean if you want permission to dig somewhere, you might as well get people on board, who can actually help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Barfoid 3 posted:

BOSTON

Oh the thing where people skateboard that has two pyramids?

I went to coply and took some pictures. Will post when I get home. One thing is, after looking carefully at every stone arch I could see, it got me thinking. All the stone arches in doorways, windows, etc ALL use uniform size stones and they all have a keystone. I don't know if its even "possible" to have a window or door arch like that. But what if that arch is.. on the ground.

Anyways I am MUCH INTRIGUED by the Phillip Brooks statue at trinity church

Much of te imagery matches the picture including the eagle and what I believe is the shawled face I identified beneath the bird perch. (Jesus shawled in the statue)

There is an arch on the ground that encircles the statue. And there is a little garden behind it.

The above pic is from google images, I will post mine later.
Here's a hi-res one from flickr, Looks like a match for what we can see of the hooded face on the wall to me,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/julz91/2665111876/sizes/o/

Mbwuto
Dec 1, 2006
I'm going to Houston Thursday, any requests for pictures or anything? I'll have a day when everyone I know is at work.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Dive Kick posted:

I feel like we are awfully close to the Montreal Cask, it seemed like a few of the theories earlier on in the thread showed promise. While I suck at riddles, perhaps we should focus a bit more attention back in that direction. As well, it seems as though a few times the author has spoken and given vague clues. Are we sure the ones we have discussed (mainly that the ethnicity of the image relates to the spot)are the only relevant clues?

yeah if somebody can blow up and identify stuff for the montreal picture it would help. the around stjoseph thing is screaming at me

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Milwaukee

I just got home from covering the whole stretch of the lake front today. I wanted to go to the Pere Marquette park and maybe the Historical Society but, I knew they'd be closed so I thought I would test the PDF theory instead. I will post my findings in pics tomorrow but, I have serious doubts about the PDF and Lincoln Mem Drive. I took pics of things that might be clues but, they are not even close to being along the lines of what we are looking for. I can safely say that Lincoln Memorial Drive is NOT the "cast in copper" unless massive changes have been made since 1980s. The one thing that hit me was the "Rock and Soil". There are many bridges and they have tiny bridges underneath them which are dirt paths over bedded rocks. Large rocks too. Not gravel or something small. When I saw them, I thought maybe there was some credibility but no, the rest of the versus don't match anything. I followed the culverts and looked for Birch trees. Nothing. No "letter" to the country 100 paces SE of any of them. Funny thing, I saw more Birch trees on residences around Juneau Town taking the bus over there than I did in the parks. Some of them could be over 30 years old too. In the parks though, nothing. I could have missed one but, they would stand out with their white trunks against the dull greyish brown treeline.

Also, I must have climbed about 8000 MF-ing STEPS TODAY! :bang: and none of them match the verses except one stretch of stairway that is literally due east of the North Point Water Tower. The total count was 96. I can confirm that because I must have looked like an idiot trying to count them and a woman running up and down them finally told me and confirmed it was 96. It has 4 landings so it might be 92 if you don't count them. I also walked the Grand Staircase and it was only ~115. If you count all the steps there, it's maybe near 180. And that includes the 4 steps you don't walk up and if you made a circle and came back down. Like I said earlier, I don't ever remember 200 steps going up any part of the cliff along the lakefront. It's just too drat many. There are a lot of staircases along the lake front leading up the cliff but, none come close to 200. The 92 is a possibility. Villa Terrace *may* have 200 but a rough count suggested high 100s. The center of Villa Terrace looks like it might be a compass? Has anyone been there?

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice
NEW YORK CITY

Okay, so from what I can tell, there has only been one significant Edwin in all of human history insufferable enough to name his daughter Edwina, which tells me that Verse 6 has to belong to New York City, where Edwin Booth lived and worked. Let's see if the clues can fit.

VERSE 6

Of all the romance retold
Men of tales and tunes
Cruel and bold

Romance? Tales? Tunes? Sounds like Broadway.

Seen here
By eyes of old

Maybe Old Broadway? There isn't much left of Old Broadway anymore, but a quick Google search brings up the Old Broadway Synagogue.

The plate glass window on this historic landmark has a fairly similar (admittedly not identical) shape to the "window" behind Lady Liberty in the NYC illustration. Actually, come to think of it, Old Broadway traces out a roughly similar arch shape against Broadway. Also, the stars of David do look kind of like eyes (if you squint).

Stand and listen to the birds
Hear the cool, clear song of water

I don't have an answer for this. That said, at least it agrees with the NYC illustration, which dominantly features a sea bird (albeit with a Chrysler building gargoyle head) and the ocean.

Harken to the words:
Freedom at the birth of a century

Federal Hall was built in 1700 (the birth of a century), and was the site at which George Washington was inaugurated and the Bill of Rights was introduced to Congress. It has since been demolished, but Federal Hall Memorial is constructed on the same site. Also, is it just me, or does George Washington's pose in that statue look vaguely similar to Lady Liberty's pose in the NYC illustration? Maybe it's just me.

Or May 1913
Edwin and Edwina named after him

Okay, as I stated before, these lines are why I'm convinced that Verse 6 has to belong to NYC. Many people have pointed out that Gramercy Park, which contains both a statue of Edwin Booth and his former home, has very heavily restricted access and therefore it is highly unlikely that anything has been buried there. But first of all, I don't think anything is necessarily buried at any of these locations I've listed so far, and second of all, I don't think this line refers to Gramercy Park.

The Booth Theater was built after Edwin Booth's death, and is named after Booth's Theater, a theater founded and operated by Edwin Booth which closed in 1881. The Booth Theater was built in 1913, and hosted its first production in October 1913. I've been unable to find any significance to May 1913 specifically. Perhaps the building began construction on this date? Also, is it just me, or does the lady in the image under the leftmost archway here really look like she is in an identical pose to Lady Liberty's in the NYC illustration? She even looks like she might be wearing the same dress! I've been unable to find a high-resolution close-up of the images under the archways, but they may be significant.

Or on the eighth a scene
Where law defended

I've found no less than three different locations on Eighth Avenue where famous clashes between law enforcement and rioters transpired:

1. Eighth Avenue and 24th Street: During the Orange Day Riot of 1871, members of the New York National Guard, NYC police officers, and Catholic and Protestant Irishmen engaged in a huge battle that would come to be known as the "Slaughter on Eighth Avenue."

2. Eighth Avenue and 123rd Street: During the 1964 Harlem Riot, an enraged crowd of Harlem citizens converged upon the West 123rd Street Precinct, hurling bricks and bottles from rooftops and provoking a violent response by armed riot police.

3. Eighth Avenue and 125th Street: In the aftermath of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s assassination, a potential riot was quelled by the appearance of then-Mayor John Lindsay before a gathering crowd at this intersection.

Between two arms extended
Below the bar that binds
Beside the long palm's shadow
Embedded in the sand
Waits the Fair remuneration
White house close at hand.

Okay, I'm not sure where to go from here. Although most of the former clue pieces seem to have answers, the major flaw is that I have no idea how any of them are connected. I haven't taken the time to try it out yet, but I'm thinking that maybe if you were to mark the previous clues on a map, you'd be able to create an image of arms extending that you'd then be able to use to determine the cask's location using the remainder of the verse.

I will also note that the clue "embedded in the sand" does agree with the nautical theme of the NYC illustration.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I was reading Tweleve.org and it was mentioned that due to it's historical significance, digging on Roanoke is a federal crime. :(

Saganaut
Jul 4, 2009
San Francisco

BJG posted:

Golden Gate Park, with "Gh" for "Great Highway"...?

I just wanted to say that I was never too confident in the "G h"/Ghirardelli connection. A reference to roads next to parks containing casks seems much more likely, and keep in mind that both images for the discovered casks (Chicago and Cleveland) contained references to nearby roads.

Also, I agree that we shouldn't get too distracted by photo manipulations and distorted overlays. That said, if we consider that the "G h" might possibly stand for "Great Highway", that is one more clue suggesting that the cask may be buried in GGP. This is a case where I think the distinctively elongated rectangular shape of the park might be referenced by the image (of course, it would be preferable if the shape it was matching wasn't such a generic one...). However, what we're missing are strong clues from any of the associated verses which can allow us to be more confident of the cask's location being in GGP. I'd feel a lot better about thinking it was in such a large park if we had something more to go on than just the fact that it has a Japanese Tea Garden and a Rose Garden.

And I think Plaid Jacket's idea of consolidating all of our ongoing theories and information into shareable spreadsheets for each potential location is great. It could be really helpful. Perhaps we can add them to the op.

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

Mnemosyne posted:

I was reading Tweleve.org and it was mentioned that due to it's historical significance, digging on Roanoke is a federal crime. :(

Roanoke is just passing through history. The cask is history!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Milwaukee

crashdome posted:

none of them match the verses except one stretch of stairway that is literally due east of the North Point Water Tower. The total count was 96. I can confirm that because I must have looked like an idiot trying to count them and a woman running up and down them finally told me and confirmed it was 96. It has 4 landings so it might be 92 if you don't count them.

Where was this? Gmaps link if you can.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

justsomedude posted:

The Booth Theater was built after Edwin Booth's death, and is named after Booth's Theater, a theater founded and operated by Edwin Booth which closed in 1881. The Booth Theater was built in 1913, and hosted its first production in October 1913. I've been unable to find any significance to May 1913 specifically. Perhaps the building began construction on this date? Also, is it just me, or does the lady in the image under the leftmost archway here really look like she is in an identical pose to Lady Liberty's in the NY
Street View has a pretty decent picture. Not quite a match, she's looking away from us http://goo.gl/maps/8U6Mg

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Athanatos posted:

Milwaukee

Where was this? Gmaps link if you can.

That would be this staircase.

Edit:
I found an aerial photo (crappy quality) of the area around City Hall in 1980. You can compare it with what now exists.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 5, 2013

Plaid Jacket
Nov 3, 2011

I'll give you five hundred bucks for that busket.

Plaid Jacket fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 11, 2023

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands
NYC

Someone with a local connection needs to page Nick Carr to this thread :)

http://www.scoutingny.com/

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Saganaut posted:

San Francisco

I just wanted to say that I was never too confident in the "G h"/Ghirardelli connection. A reference to roads next to parks containing casks seems much more likely, and keep in mind that both images for the discovered casks (Chicago and Cleveland) contained references to nearby roads.

Also, I agree that we shouldn't get too distracted by photo manipulations and distorted overlays. That said, if we consider that the "G h" might possibly stand for "Great Highway", that is one more clue suggesting that the cask may be buried in GGP. This is a case where I think the distinctively elongated rectangular shape of the park might be referenced by the image (of course, it would be preferable if the shape it was matching wasn't such a generic one...). However, what we're missing are strong clues from any of the associated verses which can allow us to be more confident of the cask's location being in GGP. I'd feel a lot better about thinking it was in such a large park if we had something more to go on than just the fact that it has a Japanese Tea Garden and a Rose Garden.

And I think Plaid Jacket's idea of consolidating all of our ongoing theories and information into shareable spreadsheets for each potential location is great. It could be really helpful. Perhaps we can add them to the op.

I'm with you on the Ghirardelli thoughts. Plus, anything that I've been able to find (official website/huge sign/etc. all spell it GHIRARDELLI, so capital H.

Regarding the image overlay though, did you see my post about her hands pointing to the 3rd and 4th square on her sleeve? 3rd and 4th avenue are on the far west (right) side of GGP. In that sense, an image overlay may prove fruitful. Her hands could literally point right at those roads. Even if it didn't, it may give us an orientation for her GGP image, the snake etc. and maybe something will look right.

Regarding the moons in the image, I count 11 and there are 11 named lakes in GGP IF you count the Lilly Pond. But there are exactly 11 named on google maps.

I wonder if we could get an old forest service map for SF for the early 80's? Doesn't the forest service handle the maps for the whole state? I know I have a few of Northern California where I'm at.

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
Verse 7
At stone wall's door
The air smells sweet
Not far away
High posts are three
Education and Justice
For all to see
Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high
Running north, but first across
In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention
Giant pole
Giant step
To the place
The casque is kept.

Anyone suggest yet that this could be Stone Mountain Park, Georgia? On the side of stone mountain is a carving of Stonewall Jackson, which is also a 'stone wall', his door being when you start hiking up the hill. In Georgia, the air smells sweet (yeah, yeah), and I think at the bottom of the mountain before you climb it might be 3 flagpoles (high posts are 3) and the giant pole is the american flag which is with it; the only problem is that there's like 5 poles in this picture but I wonder if at the time of the burying there were 4? http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm107/ngchiphuong/Atlanta/DSC00633.jpg (linked not to leech)

Giant step makes sense in that you take many steps to climb the mountain but there may be an imprint somewhere on the mountain that would be like a giant's footprint, or step. Look at the photo above and you'll see imprints in the ground that describe what I'm talking about.

As for twain's attention there was back in the day a old riverboat on the lake at stone mountain which could fit into Twain.

Just spitballing here, since verse 7 isn't officially linked.

Edit: Twain mentions a stone mountain. "And he said there was a hole in the pyramid, and you could go in there with candles, and go ever so far up a slanting tunnel, and come to a large room in the stomach of that stone mountain, and there you would find a big stone chest with a king in it, four thousand years old."

I haven't been on Stone Mountain in a long time, but that sure sounds like directions to somewhere on the mountain.

Edit2: The more I think about it, I think it's leading us to the confederate cemetary at stone mountain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSw3HbvAorM Any of this jump out?

Edit 3 - One last final edit, and i'm probably grasping at straws, but what if it's the image of cask 6 with a man, on a horse, on a stone mountain? I mean we haven't definitively proven that belong to st. augustine, have we?

sublyme fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 5, 2013

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Speaking of old maps, NYCityMap has aerial photos of most of the city from 1924, 1951, and 1996. No 1980, unfortunately, Click the camera icon at the top for photos, then get infuriated that you have to click buttons instead of clicking and dragging like Google Maps.
http://maps.nyc.gov/doitt/nycitymap/

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 5, 2013

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

crashdome posted:

Milwaukee

Also, I must have climbed about 8000 MF-ing STEPS TODAY! :bang:

Thanks for taking one for the team. I was just scouring the internet to find the answer to the number of steps in the Grand Staircase and here's your post.

I was going over the solved images/verses and I think it's important that they were pretty straightforward and had actual x-marks the spot images of where the casks were buried (fence in Chicago/wall in Cleveland). I was looking at current Google images of Grant Park and it looks like the fence was removed. Disheartening. I kinda want to go over there to see it for myself.

The Milwaukee PDF seems like it's too much travelling to be right, compared to Chicago/Cleveland.

Essential posted:

I'm with you on the Ghirardelli thoughts. Plus, anything that I've been able to find (official website/huge sign/etc. all spell it GHIRARDELLI, so capital H.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

drat, I blew that one! The logo on their website is all capitals, but that sign is definitely lowercase h.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

justsomedude posted:

NEW YORK CITY

Okay, so from what I can tell, there has only been one significant Edwin in all of human history insufferable enough to name his daughter Edwina, which tells me that Verse 6 has to belong to New York City, where Edwin Booth lived and worked. Let's see if the clues can fit.

That's actually a really, really, *RIDICULOUSLY* obscure literary reference.

http://books.google.com/books?id=OZABAAAAMAAJ&q=edwin#search_anchor

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Milwaukee

Step on nature
Cast in copper

This line has me thinking of Forest Lawn Cemetery which is bordered on the north by Lincoln (copper) Av. Its close to Mitchell Park, and Kilbourne and Walker are for sure buried there, possibly Juneau too. (Possible the three who lived there connection).

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
Roanoke

Mnemosyne posted:

Given the amount of construction on the island over the past few decades, there has got to be some kind of exception, or Tweleve.org is overstating things. Plus the Elizabethan Garden folks are inevitably digging up and planting new plants in the garden every once in awhile, that's just part of maintaining an arboretum. Perhaps there are only issues regarding messing around at the historical site of Fort Raleigh?

Anyway, Premeditated Toast posted that he has contacts in the local park service, so maybe he can get clearance/confirmation from them about whether it's okay to do some shallow digging around the gardens.

I don't entirely follow the arguments that the the cask is at the Wright Brothers Memorial. Everything in the poem and image so far point to Roanoke, and specifically the Elizabethan Gardens, as the most likely location. See my summary here and the stuff Mnemosyne found in the image here (as well as Premeditated Toast's observation here). All of that seems way, way more suggestive of the gardens than Kill Devil Hills. As I'm interpreting things, the Wright Bros. Memorial is important as a reference point but not as the actual location.

Saganaut
Jul 4, 2009

Essential posted:

Regarding the image overlay though, did you see my post about her hands pointing to the 3rd and 4th square on her sleeve? 3rd and 4th avenue are on the far west (right) side of GGP. In that sense, an image overlay may prove fruitful. Her hands could literally point right at those roads. Even if it didn't, it may give us an orientation for her GGP image, the snake etc. and maybe something will look right.

Regarding the moons in the image, I count 11 and there are 11 named lakes in GGP IF you count the Lilly Pond. But there are exactly 11 named on google maps.

I wonder if we could get an old forest service map for SF for the early 80's? Doesn't the forest service handle the maps for the whole state? I know I have a few of Northern California where I'm at.

I did see your post about the hands pointing to the 3rd and 4th square. While nothing has really been made about that yet, I do agree that it's compelling and I would love for a connection to be made, as it looks as though the hand placement may have been intentional. We'll need some good evidence before we can make a solid connection. I also really like the idea of trying to get some older park maps, if they exist. I know this is a stretch and very unlikely, but I feel as though the best resource might be someone who has very detailed knowledge of the park from the time when the cask was buried. Such a person might be more valuable for making an image/verse connection to SF than all of our google searching.

Fistgrrl posted:

Thanks for taking one for the team. I was just scouring the internet to find the answer to the number of steps in the Grand Staircase and here's your post.

I was going over the solved images/verses and I think it's important that they were pretty straightforward and had actual x-marks the spot images of where the casks were buried (fence in Chicago/wall in Cleveland). I was looking at current Google images of Grant Park and it looks like the fence was removed. Disheartening. I kinda want to go over there to see it for myself.

The Milwaukee PDF seems like it's too much travelling to be right, compared to Chicago/Cleveland.

I completely agree about the straightforward/x-marks the spot aspects about the two solved locations. While I don't think any of the answers should be easy, I think that if we do end up finding a reasonably confident solution, such things will start to jump out at us.

Regarding the Ghirardelli picture you posted, I agree. It's cool. However, I don't think it's particularly compelling. Nothing very solid struck me regarding that person's interpretation, particularly with the verses and other visual clues from the painting. If that was the "G h" smoking gun, I feel as though there should have been other clues lining up. Another thing I dislike about that picture, is that it's kind of misleading. It was framed in such a way to highlight the backward "Gh" from the sign, and the rest of the sign is cut off by a tree that very likely was not perfectly tailored in such a way to highlight the first two letters of the sign like that from that spot in the early 80s.

That brings up something we should keep in mind regarding San Francisco: it's is a phenomenally picturesque city in which it is virtually impossible to stand on any street and not see something that is captivating. Not to mention the fact that it's incredibly hilly, allowing for such views as that which is displayed in the image you link. Pretty much from anywhere you'll see across the bay, or see the bridge, or see a historical landmark, etc... I think this highlights the importance of some sort of breakthrough that feels as solid as "Grant Park" or "Greek Cultural Garden."

And that's too bad the fence is no longer there in Grant Park; I was hoping to stop by to check it out next time I was back home in Chicago...

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

justsomedude posted:

NEW YORK CITY

SheepNameKiller posted:

That's actually a really, really, *RIDICULOUSLY* obscure literary reference.

http://books.google.com/books?id=OZABAAAAMAAJ&q=edwin#search_anchor

If we ignore all of the Edwin research you did, since it very possibly refers to the sentence from this book and not the person, the new york state civil rights act of 1913 was passed in May which prevented discrimination based on religion. The book itself seems to have been about civil rights, although it focused on the rights of African Americans.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 5, 2013

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Boston

I was thinking over verse 6

Edwin and Edwina named after him
Or on the eighth a scene
Where law defended
Between two arms extended
Below the bar that binds
Beside the long palm's shadow
Embedded in the sand
Waits the Fair remuneration
White house close at hand.

Now Edwin and Edwina probably refer to Booth, so could that imply a tie to Lincoln? And there is a statue of Lincoln in Park Square there with "two arms extended" and "an iron bar that binds" (manacles on the slave).

I dunno. Just throwing out an idea while I face this insomnia.

EPCOT
Oct 24, 2010

Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow
I'm not sure how the previous ones were found, but could the spot they were buried have had the flower associated with them planted on top. Obviously in the 31 years since, the plants may not have survived, but it could provide a reliable indicator as to the location.

NO

A few thoughts:

Going with the stone wall = Stonewall Jackson, gives Jackson Square more credence.
Could the numbers represent a number of paces, say "north but first across"

My guess is in the Washington Artillery Park.

Using the image as a sort of map, with the gem's location being our "X marks the spot", if you orientate the clock face with the Mississippi River on top in the stars/moon. The actual face of the clock should be similar to Jackson Square, and the gem is located right on the amphitheater(Giant Steps?) at the Washington Artillery Park. There are several large planter/grassy areas there that could have been easy enough to dig and bury something with the pretense of planting a flowerbed. I can't manipulate the image at the moment but maybe I can whip up a overlay tomorrow.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

justsomedude posted:

NEW YORK CITY

Verse 6

http://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/clark13/summary.html

On May 8, 1913, a judge in North Carolina spoke at women's organizations in support of the idea that women should be paid equal wages for equal work, also known as fair remuneration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remuneration

No actual laws were passed on that day, but a man of the law (and noted women's rights defender) did defend the rights of women loudly and in public, comparing them to slavery.

The savvy among you might note that this happened in NC and not SC, and I don't really have an answer for that one. It does seem like between this and the Edwin and Edwina literary reference, that some signs point to verse 6 being in the Carolinas.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 5, 2013

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Saganaut posted:

Regarding the Ghirardelli picture you posted, I agree. It's cool. However, I don't think it's particularly compelling. Nothing very solid struck me regarding that person's interpretation, particularly with the verses and other visual clues from the painting. If that was the "G h" smoking gun, I feel as though there should have been other clues lining up. Another thing I dislike about that picture, is that it's kind of misleading. It was framed in such a way to highlight the backward "Gh" from the sign, and the rest of the sign is cut off by a tree that very likely was not perfectly tailored in such a way to highlight the first two letters of the sign like that from that spot in the early 80s.

Where else are you going to find a backwards Gh, let alone one that's the exact same font? It may or may not be buried near Ghiradelli, but those letters are most definitely from there.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
okay somebody please blow up cask 9.

the flower has a finger or a music note.

the lapel has an x an inverted p and a weird 1.

that can stand for pie ix as discussed before, or my tired observation, what if that reverse p has somethinf to do with Euclidean geometry. or x marks the spot?

or if the p isnt a p but rather a flag? flag+1= formula 1...which races on ile ste helene...one massive park....

also, I cant find any numbers unlike the other casks, but im guessing the hair has something to do with it.

and did anybody count the amount of squares in his shirt? and run long/ lat off the answer?

I count 30 and 35

do those numbers appear anywhere?

a: gently caress yes, both are in the long/lat for montreal.

now can I get some help hahaha?

and that dog looking thing has three different clues, but I cant make them out...

stab fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 5, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Here's an album with some help for the montreal pics:

http://imgur.com/a/4o2yk

and here are my thoughts on it.

The "music note" on the flower seems to be 67, so referencing the expo.

The P1X thing could be a flag of some sort not a P, like a golf flag, racing flag something like that. Perhaps where two roads meet? A major and minor road. Could be something with the namesakes?

Outline of the three peaks of Mont Royal perhaps? I can't find a could source image online.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 5, 2013

Nendil
Apr 4, 2005

3D movies are the dumbest fad since pull-ups.
SAN FRANCISCO

I showed this thread to my husband who's a Freemason, and he immediately said that Verse 2 was a reference to the Scottish Rite Masonic Hall in SF. Across the street from that is Stern Grove, a lovely park we've yet to visit.

At the place where jewels abound

Masons wear various pendants for their office, referred to as jewels

Fifteen rows down to the ground

Might be literal stairs in the park, or a reference to the 3-5-7 progression (steps) of Masonry

In the middle of twenty-one
From end to end

Edit: 21st Ave seems to continue as that curvy path running through the corner of the park, too.

Only three stand watch

Dunno, would have to go to the location and see

As the sound of friends
Fills the afternoon hours

Stern Grove hosts concerts regularly on Sunday afternoons in the summer months (June??).

Here is a sovereign people
Who build palaces to shelter
Their heads for a night!

http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2012/07/09/hidden_histories_stern_groves_trocadero_inn.php

quote:

When neighboring landowner David Mahoney tried to take the Greene’s land with a judge’s ruling in 1876, the Greenes refused to leave and built a metal-lined fort and fence lined with dynamite to keep out federal marshals sent to evict them. After a three-month standoff, the Supreme Court granted the land to the Greenes.
Ehh, tenuous? There is also a "palace" (Palais de Chaillot) in the Trocadéro section of Paris...

Gnomes admire
Fays delight
The namesakes meeting
Near this site.

Dunno... yet.

Other possible connections:

There's a lot of clues unaccounted for, but it's an idea that hasn't been suggested yet. The earliest I can go check out Stern Grove is this Saturday, anyone else up to it sooner than that? My husband is free during the week but he would need a ride down from Sonoma.

Nendil fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 5, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Montreal

So why the checkered pattern everywhere? Well maybe it has something to do with this?

Finishing first gets you the checkered flag?

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

SheepNameKiller posted:

On May 8, 1913, a judge in North Carolina spoke at women's organizations in support of the idea that women should be paid equal wages for equal work, also known as fair remuneration.

Wow, is this seriously the reason people are associating Verse 6 with South Carolina? Okay, first and foremost: the Gettysburg address, this ain't. In the age before Google and Wikipedia, finding out this event had even transpired would've been incredibly difficult. Plus, there is no real reason to assume that "or on the eighth" is an elaboration on the "or May 1913" line. You don't think that's a stretch?

And people believe he wrote all of those lines to point to a historical non-event that did not occur in any major city (and it even occurred in the wrong loving state) and thus has literally no use as a location clue to actually help solve the puzzle and find the cask! And people actually feel confident that that is what these four lines mean? Really?

I'm assuming the reason people are comfortable in accepting this ridiculously useless interpretation of those lines is because of the "Fair remuneration" line towards the end of Verse 6. However, at no point in Clark's speeches does he even refer to the issue of equal pay for women using the word remuneration, and besides, there are plenty of political fights for fair remuneration in our nation's history. That line could still mean anything.

Are the other supposedly "established" links between verses and illustrations less half-baked and lame than this one, or do we need to reexamine all of them?

E: I misunderstood your claim that "Edwin and Edwina named after him" was a literary reference. I thought you meant it was some kind of literary comment on women's rights and fair remuneration. After Googling, I see you actually meant that it was a line from a book that no one's ever read. Again, there is no way I will believe this is anything but a bullshit Google artifact.

Chilled Cactus fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 5, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Bloke posted:

I'm gonna start putting a case together for jackson square

Here's what I have so far

Verse 7

At stone wall's door

Jacksons square (lemontiger)

The air smells sweet

French Perfume, from the french market

Not far away
High posts are three

The three spires of st Louis cathedral (lemontiger)

Education and Justice

Adjacent buildings were court houses and are now museums (lemontiger)

For all to see
Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high

Ace is high or "Aces High", an expression used during WW2 for ace pilots
Refers to En Plein Air artists who frequent the square and put their work up on the fences "for all to see"

I have some thoughts here (though I have never set foot inside the US, so it's just speculation) on the part I underlined. The hands of the clock on St Louis Cathedral are shaped like little aces of spades:

and "Sounds from the sky" could refer to the bell ringing maybe?

edit: also, "For all to see" should probably be grouped with "Education and Justice", it fits the museum thing too (because museums are public and usually free entry)

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 5, 2013

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Nendil posted:

There's a lot of clues unaccounted for, but it's an idea that hasn't been suggested yet. The earliest I can go check out Stern Grove is this Saturday, anyone else up to it sooner than that? My husband is free during the week but he would need a ride down from Sonoma.
Good lead, with so many people seeing this and bouncing ideas off of each other, we may very well solve a couple in a month or two.

I've been putting my money where my mouth is and can't really find anything in the NYC one that matches Philadelphia or D.C. better than it matches New York. I'll keep looking around in those two as well as NYC until we get some solid leads just in case anything sticks. Figures we're left with a not-too-helpful picture and a vague verse, I doubt we'll be able to make much progress without feet on the ground. but once we see something we'll know we have it. I think the whirring in summer line makes Coney Island near Luna Park and Astroland a really good place to look around for anything else that matches the verse.

Incidentally, I still can't see the woman in the mural as looking like the statue of liberty, but since I was the only one who didn't I found and took a face blindness research test. I scored moderate impairment (which is actually better than I expected to score) after picking "I don't know" for a few who confidently identifying Tom Hanks as Elvis Presley and Brad Pitt as Matt Damon, so I guess I'm hit or miss at best on faces.

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
Finding more links to stone mountain being verse #7 with cask 6 picture:

(From wiki) "Europeans first learned of the mountain in 1597, when Spanish explorers were told of a mountain further inland which was "very high, shining when the sun set like a fire.""

The conquistador on top of that mountain certainly fits that time frame, on a stone mountain, which as I said before, Stonewall Jackson is literally on Stone Mountain, on a horse as well.

Also the stone mountain in the distance, the reflection in the water doesn't quite match it...it actually looks similar to stone mountain (turn the image upside down and look).

Also, the "ace is high" reference - the name of the three horses on the stone wall of stone mountain are Blackjack, Traveller, and Little Sorrel. (The gentlemen are, Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee and the aforementioned Stonewall Jackson. The only thing that messes this up is that Blackjack was Davis' horse, not Stonewall's.)

Couple with the other things from my previous post...

Yeah, I'm probably grasping at straws, and there should probably be more recognizable items in the picture if in fact it is....but it's funny how with these verses and images being just vague enough, you can take them out of context any way you want. Guess I should probably rest my brain now.

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness

MassaShowtime posted:

The P1X thing could be a flag of some sort not a P, like a golf flag, racing flag something like that. Perhaps where two roads meet? A major and minor road. Could be something with the namesakes?

Aren't those runes of some sort? I don't know about the flag.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Re: high-resolution scans of the images, there's a set here...

http://www.bunnyears.net/misc/secret.zip

Having said that, another set from a different book would still be interesting as it might throw up different details.

Re: The Fountain of Youth, attention has previously been focussed on the area inside the park, but since it's a private ticketed attraction and archaeological site, that seems unlikely.

I was interested in the idea that the white rock would represent this shape in the coastline...

...and the "tall tree" is Magnolia Ave beside it, so the "base" is the bottom of Magnolia by the old entrance.

Several lines in the verse refer to the planetarium (the stars/sails/wind rose are all there) so I was wondering if the domed rock might represent the planetarium. Here it is seen over the wall from Magnolia Ave.

Other possible image matches at the bottom of Magnolia include the pillars...

...this wall, with green picket fence...

...and this cannon...(bottom pic is just to make the match clearer)...

Maybe the hydrant...?

...the palm...

There are "bending branches" galore...

My favourite spot is somewhere in the corner near that cannon. I'm curious to know what this red square on the fence is.

Anyways, someone should go dig up Magnolia Ave.

BJG fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 5, 2013

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Nendil posted:

SAN FRANCISCO

I showed this thread to my husband who's a Freemason, and he immediately said that Verse 2 was a reference to the Scottish Rite Masonic Hall in SF. Across the street from that is Stern Grove, a lovely park we've yet to visit.

Stern Grove is highly, highly improbable. The only notable objects there are the concert pavilion and the lodge, both of which have been completely renovated since. There aren't any lamp posts, fences, walls, stones, statues or notable trees that you'd find in other areas of the city. Furthermore, the link to freemasonry is a bit of a stretch, and if it was true there are plenty of other lodges in the city; most notably the huge temple by Huntington Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runic Edge
Jan 22, 2010
New Orleans

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I read back and didn't see it.

So, a lot of consensus is that Verse 7 is for New Orleans, which fits. The Stone Wall with good aroma is the Cafe (old and well known), the 3 Pillars of Justice and Education (the Cathedral), and such, but what was been bothering people is the line

Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high
Running north, but first across

As has been pointed out to me, Sounds from the Sky could mean Airplanes. It's maybe a bit of a stretch, but there's a Louis Armstrong airport in N.O., going WNW from Jackson Square. Mostly the same direction as going from Jackson to Louis Armstrong Park.

As for aces high? Thems cardgame terms. Well, Armstrong park has the municipal auditorium, which up until the opening of the Harrah Casino in 1999 was itself a Casino. A fine place for aces to be high in 1983.

I think without a doubt the casket is in the park, and the best lead is the pole behind the old fire station.

Of course, the park went under some big renovations after Katrina.

Some info on the park, with picture of a statue whose face looks like the mask in the hint picture