Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Gothmog1065 posted:

I'm pretty sure she said she caught the boxer on her, again I'll verify, maybe with some more pictures.

You don't need to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Got Brisbane's test results back, and...

drumroll please...

No. No loving way. Just...no. I have pictures of his mother, there is absolutely no way in hell she was half bullmastiff. No.

This one's a little more believable. He does have a kind of spanielly coat. He's just...not a quarter bullmastiff. I emailed the company asking them what the gently caress, otherwise I'm ready to call bullshit on DNA testing for breed.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Its interesting browsing those wisdom photos.... for the most part, the tests sound right but then you get the completel oddball which can't possibly be right

http://photogallery.wisdompanel.com/photos/profile/13946.html
slightly MAYBE a dachshund? nope

http://photogallery.wisdompanel.com/photos/profile/13805.html
maybe a catahoula? nope, dalmation

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah some of these are :psyduck:. Shadow's was pretty much exactly as expected, that he's GSD/Lab/Rottweiler. Well okay I didn't expect the Rottweiler and I'm still skeptical but hey you never know.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Malalol posted:

Its interesting browsing those wisdom photos.... for the most part, the tests sound right but then you get the completel oddball which can't possibly be right

http://photogallery.wisdompanel.com/photos/profile/13946.html
slightly MAYBE a dachshund? nope

http://photogallery.wisdompanel.com/photos/profile/13805.html
maybe a catahoula? nope, dalmation

That last one looks like a catahoula dane mix (no idea on the size) but if I saw it on the street I'd say catahoula.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Having done a little research, it seems that the Xolo is basically a Central American pariah dog, so it's possible he has some seriously muttly mutts in his background that were never actually purebred.

Setters were derived from spaniels eons ago, and the last two trace amounts are for spitz-type dogs, so I'm guessing he has some spanielly and spitzy mixes back there somewhere. I totally believe he has a spanielly coat.

Can't get past the mastiff, though. Maybe his mother was half muttly mutt and his father was a mastiff/AmStaff/hippo-dog monstrosity? That would explain his dreadful structure.

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
Someone I know found this little guy abandoned in a park last night. Anyone got an idea what breed/mix he is? Looks kind of like a Pit-Lab mix to me, but I suck at ID'ing breed mixes.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
It can be really hard to tell when they're that young, but he may even just be straight up chocolate lab. Pit/lab is very possible though. Have to wait and see how he fills out. :)

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
This is Condie. She's 8 this year. Everyone asks me what breed she is and I always say German Shepherd and Collie. Closest I can think of. Her tail curls over her back though. Anyone else?

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

wootmachine posted:

Someone I know found this little guy abandoned in a park last night. Anyone got an idea what breed/mix he is? Looks kind of like a Pit-Lab mix to me, but I suck at ID'ing breed mixes.

WHY THE gently caress CAN'T I GET THAT LUCKY?! HE'S loving ADORABLE!!!!

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

cheese eats mouse posted:

This is Condie. She's 8 this year. Everyone asks me what breed she is and I always say German Shepherd and Collie. Closest I can think of. Her tail curls over her back though. Anyone else?

I see Sheltie in there, especially the curved tail.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Adorable chocolate puppy has adorable white toesies. No idea if he's pit, lab, pit/lab, or something else until he gets further beyond the potato stage.

Condie looks like a German shepherd/sheltie to me, maybe some Australian shepherd in there too.

Sent the Mars Veterinary Company pictures of Brisbane and his mum at their request, waiting to hear back from them about my "bullmastiff". Having met a number of Cavaliers and cockers with tails in the last couple of days I am convinced that is where he gets his wacky tail-shag. Funny enough, when he was a puppy I was told by an ACD breeder that he was totally not cattledog but probably a spaniel mix. No idea where the tail-curled-over-back comes from, though. Is that a dominant trait? Do Xolos have curly-uppy tails?

KitFisto
Feb 17, 2004

Ooh! Keep your hair on lad! That is your hair I take it?
This is Jake:

My partner & I rescued him in January. He weights 55 lb. Approximately 1.5 years old.

He has a purple tongue and webbed toes.

He's super lazy, easy going & friendly. Smarter than we'd like most of the time. He whines or grumbles to vocalize, he has 'barked' only 3 times (nothing to be proud of). He is very willful, we've taught him to sit, but coming when called is still hit or miss. He knows that he is being called, but he doesn't seem to care. He is scared of things blowing in the wind like flags, plastic bags, steam and vapors. Loud motors are fascinating especially trucks.

Not much of a retriever or one for tricks, he loves to cuddle and sometimes likes being chased around by other dogs at the dog park. I've only taken him to the lake once, and he only got in the water to cool down.

His paper work said Chow Chow/Lab/Setter. We are fairly confident that he is 50% Chow Chow. He is quite Lab looking, but we're unsure the setter part, if anything I think he's more border collie if anything else. Any input?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

KitFisto posted:

He's super lazy...He is very willful, we've taught him to sit, but coming when called is still hit or miss. He knows that he is being called, but he doesn't seem to care....Not much of a retriever or one for tricks...
He certainly has the Chow personality, but I might go with less than 50%. He's not as fuzzy as a lot of these dogs, but fuzzier than some:
https://www.google.com/search?safe=...img.fC61P1FPHXM

Anyway, go check out the Primitive Breeds thread, since a lot of his behaviors, as you describe them, look pretty Chowish to me--not border collie or Lab. (I have no idea how setters act.) Get used to your giant cat in a dog-suit! They like you, but they don't give a gently caress about what you want. :iamafag: (Also, watch out for potential dog aggression or human aggression. Not saying it'll automatically happen, just something to keep in mind.)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 10, 2013

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
Can anyone identify what's in this mix? 2 years-ish, 13 pounds.

Blue eyes? Or just crazy eyes? :pwn:

Looks Beagle-y to me, but that isn't listed by the shelter so I don't know what they're thinking. They list her as being part Cav, but thaaaaaat's a stretch, I think. Just like the "corgi mix," it's not a very common breed, and not one that you'd see thrown into a mix often. If people have them, they don't BYB them.

Double Plus Good fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 10, 2013

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Double Plus Good posted:

Can anyone identify what's in this mix? 2 years-ish, 13 pounds.

Blue eyes? Or just crazy eyes? :pwn:

Looks Beagle-y to me, but that isn't listed by the shelter so I don't know what they're thinking. They list her as being part Cav, but thaaaaaat's a stretch, I think. Just like the "corgi mix," it's not a very common breed, and not one that you'd see thrown into a mix often. If people have them, they don't BYB them.

I don't know about where you live, but here Beagle x Cavalier is a very common crossbreed in puppy mills etc. That said, most of the ~beagliers~ I've seen have short hair. I do see spaniel in her(?) though.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Honestly I could see cavalier in that dog. About the right size and most of the coloration reminds me of one I knew from work. Like if you cover up her head, the body makes me think of that dog. Also, I have noticed an increase in cavaliers being BYBed around here, so it could definitely be a possibility.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Before I got to the text I immediately though "what a cute cav mix" so I'm going to go with spaniel-y thing. Looks sort of like a cav/papillon mix I've seen before but with a slightly longer snout.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Jake the chow mix definitely looks like his other parent was something hairy. I feel like a herding breed would maybe make him a little more biddable, maybe he's got some golden or setter in the mix?

Cav-mix puppy totally looks like a cav mix to me. I'm in central/southern California and they're everywhere. I even personally knew an unscrupulous byb who was cheerfully selling unaltered puppies that were accidentally making cav mixes all over the place. Hell, even my cattledog mix appears to have a little in there. A whole bunch of small breeds got super popular in the last decade or so.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
Wow, I did not know that Cavs were in so many mixes! I guess I wasnt seeing it so much in the face so I ruled it out. The only "designer mix" I knew of was "cavachons," so that's new info for me. Mark that one down or the shelter then, sometimes they make pretty off the wall guesses. I hadn't thought about the puppy mill/pet shop angle. That's a definite possibility. Thanks everyone!

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
Man, dogs grow really fast. Scully no longer resembles a teddy bear, he looks like a big, goofy dog now.

How he looked when he first got him, at one month old:

Two and a half months later, with the same toy:

Baby Scully on my lap:

Today, he is too large to be a lap-dog, though he doesn't realize this.

He's got some definite GSD features now, but I'm struggling to see border collie in him. He's got a white diamond patch on his chest and a black area under his chin, maybe that's a collie thing.

He doesn't have any 'jobs' because my family has no livestock right now, but he goes on long walks and swims in the river daily so I think he's pretty content.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Those ears are wonderful. He looks like he's wearing a hat in that last picture. :kimchi:

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
Another shelter dog for you guys to take a crack at. This one was listed as a "Pomeranian mix."

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
Any idea what she is? I'm thinking Cairn Terrier but she has floppy ears, no idea what should could be mixed with other than some sort of other terrier. ~12 years old female 'Elizabeth'.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Looks a lot like my friend's Havanese. I can't tell one small fluffy dog from another, but I wouldn't be surprised if she was a Havanese cross.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Elizabeth looks like she could be a Cairn Terrier crossed with a Maltese or a Shih Tzu depending on how big she is. Something with long flow hair.

Yellow shelter dog looks like maybe an American Eskimo mixed with...I dunno. Maybe sheltie or something.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Double Plus Good posted:

Another shelter dog for you guys to take a crack at. This one was listed as a "Pomeranian mix."

American Eskimo/chi is my guess

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Looks like she could a shih tzu x terrier (any of a number of terrier options), or a second-generation designer dog cross involving any number of small dogs (poodle, shih tzu, lhasa apso, yorkie, silky, maltese, havanese, cairn, westie, schnauzer). Havenese, Westies and Cairns aren't as common for the designer breeds, though. What's the coat like and how much does she weigh?

As for the fluffy yellow shelter dog, could be a generic byb pomeranian x small-medium spaniel or mutt. The face definitely looks more eskie than pom, but byb poms can have that look too - and they're more common. Can't really tell size from the pic either.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I know that they aren't completely accurate but Home.Woot is running the Wisdom Panel test for 25% off for curious dog owners.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

We are adopting this pup early next week after he gets his latest round of vaccinations and neutering done (name is being negotiated).

The listing on the shelter website has him as a Rat Terrier Mix (he's about 15 pounds and 5 months old) and his tail is always curled like that.. The foster said she sees some Italian Greyhound in him due to how his hindquarters arch based on a previous dog she owned. Theories?

Lead Pipe Cinch fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 19, 2013

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

We are adopting this pup early next week after he gets his latest round of vaccinations and neutering done (name is being negotiated).

The listing on the shelter website has him as a Rat Terrier Mix (he's about 15 pounds and 5 months old) and his tail is always curled like that.. The foster said she sees some Italian Greyhound in him due to how his hindquarters arch based on a previous dog she owned. Theories?

Waaay too bulky to be an Iggy mix. Small gamedogs and spaniel-ie things often have nicely sloped hips. I'd need a bit better picture of him just standing without an instagram filter to get much better an idea then that. But the tail is adorable.

I see some yorkie in there too.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'd need a bit better picture of him just standing without an instagram filter to get much better an idea then that. But the tail is adorable.

I figured as much, the foster sent the collage in an update email after we met him and the close up we snagged from his shelter page before they shifted him to a pending adoption. I'll get some better pictures up once we get him home.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

OK, just got Elwood home and took some better pictures. He's only 5 months, so holding still is hard to come by, like I said, the shelter had him posted as a Rat terrier mix.

Lead Pipe Cinch fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 24, 2013

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
What kind of dog might this be?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Chriskory posted:

What kind of dog might this be?

Based on the face, I would say it's an Ewok :colbert:. In all seriousness though, the tail makes me think it's like a pug/shih-tzu mix to me.

Edit: drat it probably does have Affenpinscher in it.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 24, 2013

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Blindeye posted:

Based on the face, I would say it's an Ewok :colbert:. In all seriousness though, the tail makes me think it's like a pug/shih-tzu mix to me.
Affenpinscher?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

That was my guess too, maybe mixed with Shih-Tzu to get the curly tail. Is the coat wiry?

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

OK, just got Elwood home and took some better pictures. He's only 5 months, so holding still is hard to come by, like I said, the shelter had him posted as a Rat terrier mix.

Isn't that a basenji tail? I'm totally thinking basenji mix.

Dr. Knox from Mars Veterinary called me yesterday and we had a delightful conversation about genetics and sample groups and breed groups and the histories behind them, seriously it was awesome. She said that Brisbane's DNA sample was of high quality so they weren't worried about contamination. Apparently all of their sample cattledog DNA is from AKC-registered dogs, so the reason the computer didn't hit on his mother being purebred was because she was a working-lines dog and didn't match up exactly. The computer just spits out the most likely result, but she could look at all the projected possibilities and many of them identified his mother as purebred.

A lot of his father's DNA comes from the molosser/guardian group, and the system identified AmStaff and Bullmastiff very consistently across the board, so his father was very likely a quarter of each. One of Brisbane's grandparents was fatty hippo-dog, this explains his horrific structure nicely. The other very consistently identified breed was Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, where he gets his earbeards and tail/buttfeathering. It was very consistently Cav and not any other spaniel. The Xolo apparently falls into the European family, from which all terriers/spaniels/setters/hounds/etc spring. Xolo shows up as a false positive a lot when a dog has a lot of terrier in the mix, and might be listed as a trace result because of the AmStaff. Briz has a small amount of Asian/spitzy DNA and a little bit of pretty much everything else in there, one of his great-grandparents was definitely a total mutt.

Still, I feel like this is a much more resonable result:

Also, please take a moment to imagine what Brisbane's dad looked like:

His mother went on a lovely adventure during her heat, which resulted in the neighbors bringing her home and saying their "beagle mix" got to her. Dr. Knox guessed that the dog in question was a short-haired sable/tricolor dog with big 'ol floppy ears, and just kinda looked like a beagle.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Scary Ned posted:

Still, I feel like this is a much more resonable result:

Also, please take a moment to imagine what Brisbane's dad looked like:

His mother went on a lovely adventure during her heat, which resulted in the neighbors bringing her home and saying their "beagle mix" got to her. Dr. Knox guessed that the dog in question was a short-haired sable/tricolor dog with big 'ol floppy ears, and just kinda looked like a beagle.

That's awesome that they spent so much time going over this with you! That result does look a lot more reasonable and its nice to know they have people there that can think things through if you get a weird result. I wonder if other people I know with crazy mix results ever contacted them or just went with it.

I've got to go google around for a bully/cav mix now because my head can't wrap around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Mutt thread, meet Hodor:

He's some sort of Bichon mix. He's got a patch of wiry fur over his butt and very broad shoulders like a bulldog.

Here's a better view of him with our other Bichon mutt.