Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
You name the poison and we'll go on a first date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Hey, a little weird but, does anyone have the tip (or a place to look for) a gosiwon or even just a cheap sublet in the gangnam, samsundong, or sindorim areas? It's for a friend of mine who left Korea for America before high school and just came back now, two years out of college.
So, flawless Korean but no idea where to start looking besides just walking into random places and asking about availability.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Action Missile Eye posted:

You name the poison and we'll go on a first date.

Are you in the kakao chat? I'm getting busier this summer but I'm still down for eating and drinking .

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Cameron posted:

I can't help much but I can say that I have heard from others that it's best to marry in Korea and then in America. Did you look at the .gov website about it? I'm pretty sure you can get some kind of special spouse visa pretty fast and she can come with you pretty much right away, not wait two years.

A few China goons have married mainland Chinese women and went through a lot of trouble. If you pop over to the China thread, pro prc lao wai can recite the steps like a robot. He knows his way around quirky situations related to the us government.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Action Missile Eye posted:

So what you're telling me here is I can find a game? Because I could seriously use some pen-and-paper action.

If you don't mind roll20.org and a brand new DM you are welcome to join my group. just kakao me at jarena3

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Onion Knight posted:

Hey, a little weird but, does anyone have the tip (or a place to look for) a gosiwon or even just a cheap sublet in the gangnam, samsundong, or sindorim areas? It's for a friend of mine who left Korea for America before high school and just came back now, two years out of college.
So, flawless Korean but no idea where to start looking besides just walking into random places and asking about availability.

Tell him to look up http://www.gosi1.net/ or something first. (or just google 고시원 and go through various websites)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I found a really good Hagwon simulator y'all might be into. It costs a lot for an alpha but the game itself is pretty compelling in a sorta dwarf fortressy way.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Aesis posted:

Tell him to look up http://www.gosi1.net/ or something first. (or just google 고시원 and go through various websites)

This is pretty much perfect, thank you

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

TreFitty posted:

Random question; hoping someone has some special knowledge here:

Japan goon here, but I just got my wife's visa in the mail on Saturday (gently caress yeah), so you can PM me with any questions, though our process is slightly different: the short and sweet of it is Korea still has direct consular filing so you basically skip the Homeland security petition and National Visa Center bullshit and file your I-130 (immediate relative immigrant visa) directly with the consulate in Seoul, then they mail you telling you when your interview is, and provided you can sort out the sponsorship and financial support stuff, you should have a visa in your spouse's passport about a week later.

People in Japan have to go through a long convoluted process that takes about a year or so, as DCF ended for us in 2011. For you it should be a few months. Basically step one is start reading visajourney.com and also find the US Embassy in Seoul's webpage and read about immigrant visas. You can do it all yourself (it's not particularly difficult or anything and you certainly don't need a lawyer or some toll number) but it is a lot of work and gathering files and translating poo poo and triple checking everything. Your process as a resident of Korea is vastly simpler than that of a resident of Japan though.

You could go the K-130 (fiancee visa) route but why bother? Go on and sort it all out in Korea so you can enjoy :911: without worrying about ICE kicking down your door because you didn't get married and notify them within 90 days of her entering the country. That way once you finally get her passport back, it's pretty much all over. Bonus points for being married beforehand is that she becomes a permanent resident the moment she crosses immigrations, her visa acting as her proof of permanent residency until the I-151 (green card) arrives in the mail, and you can get her Social Security card mailed to your residence beforehand too.

Edit: The "evidence of bona fide marriage/relationship" bar is probably much lower for people who have official documents stating that they're married instead of just "planning to".

Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 3, 2013

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Yeah, I'd chime in with my experience marrying a Korean in America, but she had all kinds of crazy visa poo poo going on so my experience was vastly atypical. I'd say just this though: Make copies of your copies of your copies of your paperwork, if the US Government has perfected one thing it is losing paperwork. 12 year Military and 1 Visa/SS process has proven it without a doubt.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
So I came back home yesterday, and oh god it's so drat hot compared to UK. I'm literally sweating in my room.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Aesis posted:

So I came back home yesterday, and oh god it's so drat hot compared to UK. I'm literally sweating in my room.

I arrived from the UK yesterday as well. Turns out the air-condition in my hostel is terrible as well, if it wasn't for jet lag I don't think I would have slept a wink.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

:allears:

Summer's barely even started. In a month you'll be wishing it was only this bad.

My slow summertime descent into madness begins soon.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
I know, I've been there before, but that's not going to stop me from whining about it constantly :britain:

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Hasn't been too bad this week. Although it seems like this summer is already worse than last year's. Here in Daejeon I feel like we didn't break 30 until July last year.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

vodkat posted:

I know, I've been there before, but that's not going to stop me from whining about it constantly :britain:

It won't stop me either. Just warning new people that your suffering begins.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My Officetel doesn't turn on the aircon units until June. Doesn't stop them from charging me 170k a month for "upkeep."

They're lucky my apartment is a loving palace, or I'd revolt.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

The new administration doesn't give a poo poo about shorts-wearing and I and I alone have command of the AC in my English classroom. This is a huge step up from last year, where I sat in the teachers' office and waited patiently for death.
Just got the car AC fixed, so if I can convince my gym's owner to start running the air sooner rather than later I will have solved the Korean summer.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Until the government tells you to stop running it in the school. Two nuclear power reactors down here were shut down because of fake parts and inspections, so there are plans for severe energy restrictions this summer because with those two down Korea's generating capacity is now below its average summer use.

Of course they could just tell the power companies to stop loving around with generation but that would involve the government confronting its corporate owners so. :downsrim:

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I'm just gonna say it. Need more Busan goons in the chat.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Last year they ran s pilot program instructing government employees at select offices to allow shorts. The goal was to lower ac costs. I'm p sure it worked and will probably be slowly rolled out

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
I have yet to be surprised by a season since I moved here. Y'all whiners.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You think it's bad now? Just wait until you are sleeping in a hot-rear end room and mosquitoes are waking you up!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cameron posted:

You think it's bad now? Just wait until you are sleeping in a hot-rear end room and mosquitoes are waking you up!

I have successfully sealed my room from mosquitos. My AC unit is under my control and the school finally turns theirs on in the morning. Let the summer burn outside. I am safe within my castle.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
My prior Korean summer experience was three years in Taebaek. Jeonnam might just kill me. I already can't sleep because of fear of centipedes.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

erobadapazzi posted:

My prior Korean summer experience was three years in Taebaek. Jeonnam might just kill me. I already can't sleep because of fear of centipedes.

I had never seen a house centipede until moving here. gently caress those things, gently caress my old lovely apartment and gently caress living above a restaurant.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

I'm heading to Seattle to stay with a friend and hopefully gain my sanity back and have better weather. I'll be there 3 weeks and I'm sure I'll wish I was dead when I come back. Korea's 2 seasons are: awful and awfuller. Not sure which is which.

edit: also, moving to Seattle permanently in August. gently caress yes. Although I will come back to Korea many times for the rest of my life....2 weeks at a time isn't so bad, I hope.

Eldjarn
Nov 10, 2005

Puppylover
I think I had 2 mosquitoes in my apartment last summer in total. Maybe they are afraid of heights as I live on the 13th floor.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eldjarn posted:

I think I had 2 mosquitoes in my apartment last summer in total. Maybe they are afraid of heights as I live on the 13th floor.

Mosquitoes can only fly about 30 or so feet up. There are a couple that can fly much higher but as a rule if you're a hundred feet up you can rest easy.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

That's pretty rad. I was wondering why I hadn't been waking up bitten like last year.

Moved from 4th floor to 15th,

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Nice, I'm on the 11th floor. gently caress those rear end in a top hat bugs.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Mosquitoes can only fly about 30 or so feet up. There are a couple that can fly much higher but as a rule if you're a hundred feet up you can rest easy.

They know how to use elevators.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm on the 24th. :c00l:

Anyone higher than me?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

erobadapazzi posted:

Back when I was living in Chicago my girlfriend was in a basement apartment so it was pretty much all centipedes all the time. Keep your floors clean, spray your windowframes with bug spray, and drop some bleach down your drains regularly. It's a hassle but centipedes are terrifying nigmare bugs so,

Grand Fromage posted:

Until the government tells you to stop running it in the school.

oh goddammit.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I'm on the 24th. :c00l:

Anyone higher than me?

This is why nobody likes you.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
The whole electricity shortage in Korea is a joke. They charge multiple times more for home use electricity compared to industrial use, then ask the home owners to 'sacrifice' their electricity use. :fuckoff: I'll use AC as much as I drat well please.

Also you might be seeing whole lot of bugs crawling out during typhoon season.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Why do you hate the job creators? Why don't you move to North Korea, you communist?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

tirinal posted:

This is why nobody likes you.

I can top that. Today is my Friday.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Typical Korean conservative response. Is that the best you can come up with?

Why do home owners who use way less electricity have to pay multiple the amount of money compared to industries that use megawatts' worth of electricity in literally blink of an eye? Is it really justifiable because 'they provide jobs'? Do you even realize that they pay minimal amount to profit lot more for themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If those home owners had a gun, this wouldn't have happened.

• Locked thread