Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I know NOTHING about pedals. Always been a straight up rocker and if I needed an effect I have a pretty good Line 6 model amp for that.

Traditionally I used a volume pedal if I needed a boost since it didn't color my tone. May go that route again, but curious if there is a really good pedal that can give me a good boost for solos, choruses, etc without coloring my tone, be it clean, distorted, etc.

Could anyone also recommend a good reverb pedal?

Finally, this is a long shot/stupid question, but can anyone give me suggestions to get a close proximity to Neil Young's more modern tone? Dead Man Theme/Greendale/La Noize type tone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQY7xkgkMUU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

beergod posted:

How do I play if the tab is like:

-
-
-
-

Do I pick the 4 and 6 at the same time with my fingers? It doesn't appear to be a chord.

Yeah, it's called an octave shape, the two notes are the same note (C# or Db in this case) except one is an octave higher. Like playing the same string 12 frets higher.

Like muike says, fret the lower note with your first finger and let it rest against that middle string so it's muted, and fret the higher note with your third or fourth finger - I learned to use my third, since it fits the idea of having your four fingers each handling one of a block of four frets, and if your first finger is on the 4th your third finger is over the 6th. Since picking up the bass though, I've found myself using my pinky a lot more for this, plus it lets you easily add the extra note for a power chord with your third finger (x466xxx instead of x4x6xxx), but whatever feels good for you.

So unless the song is played fingerstyle, you just need to strum both those notes at the same time, which means muting any unwanted strings you're gonna be hitting on the way.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I know NOTHING about pedals. Always been a straight up rocker and if I needed an effect I have a pretty good Line 6 model amp for that.

Traditionally I used a volume pedal if I needed a boost since it didn't color my tone. May go that route again, but curious if there is a really good pedal that can give me a good boost for solos, choruses, etc without coloring my tone, be it clean, distorted, etc.

Finally, this is a long shot/stupid question, but can anyone give me suggestions to get a close proximity to Neil Young's more modern tone? Dead Man Theme/Greendale/La Noize type tone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQY7xkgkMUU

Zvex super hard on is a good boost. Bear in mind, anything that boosts your level is going to hit the preamp of your amp harder, and that will affect your tone. SRV used a tube screamer with the distortion rolled all the way off, from what I've heard.

I'm pretty sure the modern Neil Young sound is his 'blackie' goldtop with p90 and firebird pickup into that (supposedly) very special tweed deluxe. There's a ton of information out there about this guitars and amps.

I bought a Traynor dark horse 15h head a while ago, which is two 6V6s, and I'd say it sounds 90% like a tweed deluxe, with the right eq.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

For spring reverb, this or gently caress off. For other types of reverb, kill yourself. :)

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

RetardedRobots posted:

For spring reverb, this or gently caress off. For other types of reverb, kill yourself. :)

You're crazy, for spring reverb, this: http://www.mahaffayamps.com/amplifier-effects-reverb.htm

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

RetardedRobots posted:

For what it's worth, most engineers I know hate the sound of spring reverb.

Professor Science posted:

Anybody want to give me a basic overview of ES-335s? I am GASing for this, but I doubt I can actually find it anywhere near me to actually try it out...

I've seen the Chris Cornell 335 at my local GC but it's still a limited edition so it's ultimately a crapshoot.

The big thing that I was never told before getting into the world of semi hollows is that the only way to work on the electronics is going through the f-hole and going through the bridge pickup route, and that is a loving nightmare. They still sound amazing though!

E: At least, I thought I saw one in the Gibson custom section. I don't pay especially close attention to guitars I will never own

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 3, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I used to play 335 types exclusively. I'm thinking of getting a 339/390 though for the smaller body. They're great guitars, have a nice beefy and fully tone to them, not quite as bright as a LP, definitely not as bright as an SG. I love em but sold mine because they were still close to 10 pounds. My LP is close to 10 pounds as well but hurts my back much less, so I'm thinking the sheer size of the 335 type was a big "issue".

Hence why I'm looking in a 339. Or maybe I can get a 135/137, which is basically a single cutaway 335 but with a slightly more Les Paul kinda tone.

Are any of the current Fender amp models close to Neils? I think most Fender amps use 6l6, right?

I have a Les Paul Trad with two p90s, so I got the guitar side some what covered. Not gonna put a vintage Firebird pickup in it though. I'm not a fan of their tone.

I don't need exact, but if there's a good way to get that over saturated 6v6 type tone I'm definitely interested.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

RetardedRobots posted:

Try again. This thing brought me to my knees the first time I heard it.

...unless you're looking for an actual foot-operated reverb tank.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I used to play 335 types exclusively. I'm thinking of getting a 339/390 though for the smaller body. They're great guitars, have a nice beefy and fully tone to them, not quite as bright as a LP, definitely not as bright as an SG. I love em but sold mine because they were still close to 10 pounds. My LP is close to 10 pounds as well but hurts my back much less, so I'm thinking the sheer size of the 335 type was a big "issue".

Hence why I'm looking in a 339. Or maybe I can get a 135/137, which is basically a single cutaway 335 but with a slightly more Les Paul kinda tone.

Are any of the current Fender amp models close to Neils? I think most Fender amps use 6l6, right?

I have a Les Paul Trad with two p90s, so I got the guitar side some what covered. Not gonna put a vintage Firebird pickup in it though. I'm not a fan of their tone.

I don't need exact, but if there's a good way to get that over saturated 6v6 type tone I'm definitely interested.

You can find scores of Fender Champ clones and even vintage Fender Champs. You can probably even find pedals designed to emulate it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I've found a Crazy Horse pedal that's gotten really good reviews. I might grab one of those. I have a Peavey Valve King that I think sounds amazing but it's 6L6 and that gorgeous clean tone it has just doesn't saturate well enough to get me there. Maybe putting that Crazy Horse in front will do it. Or a cranked booster pedal.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
drat, that is a rich P90, almost Jazzmastery. Also a great song I haven't heard, so thanks.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Glad you like it!

Dunno which pickup he's using on that.

But if you dig that song, check out Greendale as a whole. Some real gems on that album and basically my most favorite modern album of his. As mentioned above, Dead Man/Greendale/La Noise have some of the most awesome guitar tones I've ever heard. No one sounds like Neil. No one.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Try the Traynor Dark Horse. I was on the same quest, to find that Neil Young sound, and I realized I couldn't spend the money on a vintage tweed deluxe, and Hellomusic had the Traynor for $350. I'm really happy with it. Two 6V6s is still surprisingly loud, and the Traynor also can be switched down to 2 watts using a 12AU7 as a driver, which I spend the most of the time using since I live in a tiny condo. Anyway, great amp.

I want this thing, but I already have a trinity reverb flashed with the 'big room with a view' toneprint, http://www.mrblackpedals.com/products/supermoon

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Well, it's a tweed model so a Victoria 20112 might just be what you're looking for. They pop up used all the time, but I guess it depends on how much money you're willing to spend. Great amps!

Also, reverb guy, you might want to check this out: http://www.strymon.net/products/bluesky/

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

jwh posted:

Try the Traynor Dark Horse. I was on the same quest, to find that Neil Young sound, and I realized I couldn't spend the money on a vintage tweed deluxe, and Hellomusic had the Traynor for $350. I'm really happy with it. Two 6V6s is still surprisingly loud, and the Traynor also can be switched down to 2 watts using a 12AU7 as a driver, which I spend the most of the time using since I live in a tiny condo. Anyway, great amp.

I want this thing, but I already have a trinity reverb flashed with the 'big room with a view' toneprint, http://www.mrblackpedals.com/products/supermoon

I really really dig the Traynor's I've played but I just don't think 15 watts is gonna cut it for me. :/

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Well, if you're looking for that 6V6 sound with more wattage you may want to look at something like this: http://www.victoriaamplifier.com/amplifiers/tweed-amplifiers/victoria-double-deluxe/

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
That's an actual tank, so thats cheating. Also, accidentally kick that to add flavour to your live show.

I tell you, that stupid Boss pedal will stand up against the '63 reissue tank in a double blind test. BUT that's all it really does, emulate that Fender tank. BUT that's really the only reverb you'd ever want.
:)

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

jwh posted:

Zvex super hard on is a good boost.

http://www.hellomusic.com/Items/super-hard-on-booster

Concidentally, $139 on Hello Music today.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

RetardedRobots posted:

That's an actual tank, so thats cheating. Also, accidentally kick that to add flavour to your live show.

I tell you, that stupid Boss pedal will stand up against the '63 reissue tank in a double blind test. BUT that's all it really does, emulate that Fender tank. BUT that's really the only reverb you'd ever want.

I'll have to check out that boss pedal, I've never heard a good emulated spring reverb. Well, I take that back, I've heard good ones, but nothing that ever sounded great. I don't know why, but those old Fender spring reverb tanks just can't be beat.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Oh hot drat, I picked up another one for my MIDI switching rig. Thanks!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

RetardedRobots posted:

BUT that's really the only reverb you'd ever want.

Ahem.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

iostream.h posted:

Where's the best place to get acoustic pickguards made? I'd like something custom, the one on my Songwriter peeled up at the edges and came off.

Kind of lovely for such a pricey loving guitar.

Buy Tortis from LMII either in sheet stock or in a pre-cut shape; adhere to surface to taste

http://www.ehx.com/products/holiest-grail

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

For reverb I use the Malekko Chicklet. They have a newer version out called Spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxrtM3vZzrY

Hi I am Andy with ProGuitarShop.com and

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
Big fan of the TC Hall of Fame reverb. Haven't tried the software they released recently to edit the presets yourself.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Called a local shop here who said it would be an easy and relatively cheap job to re bias my valveking to 6v6.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Professor Science posted:

Big fan of the TC Hall of Fame reverb. Haven't tried the software they released recently to edit the presets yourself.

http://www.hellomusic.com/Items/hall-of-fame-reverb

Are they watching us or something?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I'm looking into an SG Jr., but I'm a bit concerned by only having only one pickup, a P90 at the bridge. I'd like to have some versatility with it, both rhythm and lead parts, across a variety of styles. Think it's doable? I also considered adding a neck mount jazz humbucker, but I feel like that would be a lot of work for very little return. Any options I'm not seeing here?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

TopherCStone posted:

I'm looking into an SG Jr., but I'm a bit concerned by only having only one pickup, a P90 at the bridge. I'd like to have some versatility with it, both rhythm and lead parts, across a variety of styles. Think it's doable? I also considered adding a neck mount jazz humbucker, but I feel like that would be a lot of work for very little return. Any options I'm not seeing here?
There's not much I can't accomplish with the bridge P90 on my LP, having the neck one adds that much more, but I wouldn't feel held back by a single one at all. Get used to working your volume and tone control, but you'll be fine. It'll make you work on your dynamics a lot, that's for sure.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Versatility's overrated.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

If I could have just one pickup on a guitar, it'd be a p90 in the bridge.

jwh fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 5, 2013

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I can't imagine having just a bridge pickup but then again I would buy an M8M if I had $6,000 right now so yeah don't trust me.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The Karl Sanders approach- single bridge pickup wired direct to the jack makes you step your game up.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Does anyone even use their neck pickup? I'll mix my neck in to thicken up tone, but it's mostly bridge. I can't even imagine soloing the neck pickup.

To me, the perfect no bullshit guitar would be just a good passive humbucker in the bridge. No knobs. Tone stays at 10, volume at 10. That's all I need to cover 99.9% of anything I do. Leave the knobs and bars and switches and poo poo to Adrian Belew.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love neck pickups for soloing and doing jazz, blues, ambient, whatever. I don't think I've used a neck pickup that I like dirtied up much though, at least outside of solos and smooth leads.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Oh yeah, Jazz. For Jazz a P-90 in the neck is pretty much it. And you'd want volume and tone knobs and probably a vari-tone to open up a few more options.

I'm not good enough for jazz, so bridge bucker does it. Bridge is just so much more tighter and brighter than the neck.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

RetardedRobots posted:

I can't even imagine soloing the neck pickup.
Really? I'm on mine a lot, not ALL the time but I solo quite a bit on the neck, it's just got this smooth bitey tone that's perfect.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I think the neck pickup can sound great, it just depends on what you're doing. My jaguar, for instance, sounds incredibly bouyant in the neck position versus the bridge, which sounds like an ice-picky surf guitar at all times, regardless of what you do with it.

It also really depends on the guitar, of course. I've never liked the neck humbucker on my Hag Swede, nor my Gretsch, either, but if you can find a use for it, it's there to be used.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

RetardedRobots posted:

To me, the perfect no bullshit guitar would be just a good passive humbucker in the bridge. No knobs. Tone stays at 10, volume at 10. That's all I need to cover 99.9% of anything I do. Leave the knobs and bars and switches and poo poo to Adrian Belew.
Then you're not doing guitaring right. Not trying to sound like an rear end, but you should really play with those dirty knobs. Going full blast all the time ain't no fun in the long run.

Having said that, it could also function as a way to make you play differently, and getting brighter and duller sounds that way. But you're still pretty limited with only one pickup, so having some knobs is basically a must for most people.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 5, 2013

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

They're tools, it's all in how you use them.

You can hammer a nail with a brick, you can pry a screw with a dime, there's no wrong way to do things. That having been said, there are certainly some ways that are easier than others.

I've been having a lot of fun forcing myself to play my les paul with p90s in only the neck position, just to find ways to make it work. I don't know if anyone else got in on the '50s/'60s tribute les pauls over the past several years, especially before they became more expensive, but they're awfully nice instruments, and new they were about $800. They're very nice. The P90s are a little too hot, or modern, but otherwise they're tremendous guitars for the money, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Xabi posted:

Then you're not doing guitaring right. Not trying to sound like an rear end, but you should really play with those dirty knobs. Going full blast all the time ain't no fun in the long run.

Do what thou wilt, shall be the whole of the law. Other than being a bluesdad.